[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What will happen to desktops once normalfags and businesses all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 11

File: the-future.jpg (159KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
the-future.jpg
159KB, 800x900px
What will happen to desktops once normalfags and businesses all transition to phones with continuum docks, microATX that mount behind monitors, and laptops?
>>
File: LAPTOP HARDWARE.jpg (292KB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
LAPTOP HARDWARE.jpg
292KB, 2500x2500px
>>52611885
Acer/Samshit's plastic copies of pic related.

And they'll manage to make it even less durable somehow.
>>
File: brix_1.jpg (38KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
brix_1.jpg
38KB, 650x488px
I was installing few PCs in a mess hall recently and in adjacent offices

I was recommending what to buy and suggested some nucs/VIVOPC/brix,.. the all in one small PCs..

and the response of the guy in charge was:
>Are you fucking crazy? These cunts would steal anything that size in a fucking week you fucking daft moron
>>
File: Capture.png (236KB, 919x254px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
236KB, 919x254px
>>52612294
>what are security locks/chains
>>
>>52611885
They'll go back to what they were in the beginning: specialized high-end tools for enthusiasts and professionals only.
>>
>>52612342
What's going to stop them from just giving it a good tug and blowing that cheap plastic/shitty sheet metal the fuck out?
>>
>>52611885
gaming mainly.

>>52612294
You people are the problem.
>We need smaller PCs for no reason!!!!!
>>
>>52612352
I think we're already there. The last few grandmas with old Emachines just went to tablets. The remaining PC owners are enthusiasts and businesses.
>>
File: 1451078877404.jpg (31KB, 540x308px) Image search: [Google]
1451078877404.jpg
31KB, 540x308px
>>52611885
The same thing that happened to the trash can pro.

Razer is already making a Thunderbolt 3 GPU enclosure, and it'll be open spec and supportable by anyone that wants to use it. It'll probably work on future "desktops" just like they do laptops.
>>
>>52612342
there is a masterkey for kensington locks. Google it...
>>
>>52612368
Who said there was no reason?
why you so mad?
>>
>>52612382
Me. Because there's not problem fitting a desktop in close to all cases, so you are simply paying more for worse performance.

not mad.
>>
>>52612375
>The last few grandmas with old Emachines just went to tablets.
Years of dealing with the estates of all of those codgers and interacting with their still-alive family members have told me that is actually utter bullshit. In fact, those kinds of people will be the last ones to really make the switch, since they mostly use their computers for productivity tasks like Word and Excel, email, and maybe occasionally Facebook if their children have gotten them on it. Combined with shitty touch interfaces and their shit eyesight, most old people wouldn't touch a tablet with a ten foot pole for those jobs, hell most normalfags won't in general either. Lots of them keep a rusty as fuck laptop or desktop in the back room for when they need to do something other than fuck around and look at cute cat pictures.
>>
>>52612414
you know how I wrote in a messhall?
we ended up drilling a hole in a wall so that we had a place where to put a connected to an old touch screen on which people reserve food for the next day. Another PC had absolutely terrible rack put next to it, in which the pc case was locked.

NEETs like you who feel they know everything got exactly what they deserve
>>
>>52612379
The trashcan isn't really the future of desktops, it's a totally useless device. People who want a powerful device that doesn't take up much space and don't care about upgrade options are buying all in ones, people who need workstation performance are buying an actual workstation. The shitty shape of the trashcan also doesn't lend itself to any human-style placement, and ends up taking up more space not only for the reason in that picture but also because desks aren't fucking circles and placing it in a way that doesn't look like shit is going to be hard.
>>
File: Capture.png (53KB, 748x607px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
53KB, 748x607px
>>52612414
>paying more for worse performance

They're identical spec for cheaper faggot.
>>
>>52612478
>those shitty prebuilts
really
>>
>>52612379
>Thunderbolt 3 GPU enclosure
people have been talking about and doing this for a long time.
>pay quite a few hundreds extra for a a laptop that come anywhere clost to a desktop CPU
>pay $300 or whatever the PCI-thunderbolt costs
>still can't game on the laptop screen
all that money for a much worse experience.
>>
>>52612494
Don't worry, once you get a job and your time is worth more than $0.25/hour you'll realize prebuilts are necessary too.
>>
>>52612449
imacs are actually just as bad if not worse. All the disadvantages of a laptop and all the disadvantages of a desktop.
>>
>>52612541
Doesn't matter how much you make if you can't spend your money wisely. whether that is a prebuilt or not.
>>
>all transition
That's never going to happen, people use computers for more resource intensive things than facebook.
>>
>>52612566
>if you can't spend your money wisely

It's not my money, it's company money. And managers/executives sitting around with their thumbs up their asses while being paid $50-$100/hr don't have time for me to "build u a super cool rig lol just gimme a few hours to assemble and install windows, apply updates, install software, configure network settings, TRUST me, we're saving money".
>>
>>52612595
People who use computers for resource intensive tasks are probably less than 90% of the market and could easily do everything they do now on any of the 3 platforms in the OP.

ATX is on its way out or becoming a really niche market. Without mass production to drive down prices, full size desktops are just going to get more and more expensive.
>>
>>52612342
back in college they has kensington locks on their brand new first gen mac mini's
they were 4-digit locks, they were quite easy to crack
didn't steal any of them though, they were only accessible during classes (doors were locked otherwise), and it'd have been pretty risky to try to steal one with a teacher in the room
>>
>>52611885
If continuum wasn't attached to Spydows 10 I would use the fuck out of that. Especially as down the road you'll probably be able to connect wirelessly to any monitor/tv.
Workstations/gayman rigs will never die bruv, don't worry.
Shitty tower "family pcs" are the only things which will die and be replaced by what is honestly a much better fit for the job.
>>
File: Seen Kyle -Image #47,290.jpg (30KB, 743x548px) Image search: [Google]
Seen Kyle -Image #47,290.jpg
30KB, 743x548px
>>52612478
>They're identical spec for cheaper faggot.
They are not identical in spec at all. Just look at the picture you posted, different processors and you cut off the rest of the specs because they don't match. Fucking reddit.
>>
>>52612749
Continuum is useless until it runs full 86x windows.
>>
>>52612760
The rest is identical. The CPUs are literally within 5% performance of each other. Try again.
>>
File: SOON.png (56KB, 657x537px) Image search: [Google]
SOON.png
56KB, 657x537px
>>52612768
SOON
>>
>>52612768
True, you can still shitpost and consume media well with it. What happens if you try to install say Photoshop on it?
I'm sure they'll move towards full windows parity between mobile and desktop platforms in the future. Just in time for atoms to become beefier.
>>
>>52612541
it takes literally 5 minutes to order a bunch of shit on newegg.........................
>>
File: ids habbenig.png (193KB, 913x748px) Image search: [Google]
ids habbenig.png
193KB, 913x748px
>>52612839
ids habbenig
>>
>>52612839
>True, you can still shitpost and consume media well with it.
You can do that pretty well with most phones connected to hdmi.

>What happens if you try to install say Photoshop on it?
Nothing. No windows software works since it's arm in current phones.

>>52612862
>atom x3
isn't that pretty weak even compared to arm CPUs?
>>
>>52612901
About on par with a mid range Core 2 Duo maybe.
If it can manage that performance at such low wattage, that should be decent for office use. No way it'll replace desktops any time soon for a lot of places though.
>>
>>52612643
>I read it on the internet it must be true.
Just because a bunch of bloggers and you have never used a computer for anything more resource intensive than excel, doesn't mean shit. You are a retard.

>ATX is on its way
/g/ - Technology :^)
The general form factor has no relevance to this is any way and just show how little you know.
>>
>>52612779
According to you but not according to people who can read. Do you even know what the trailing T means on the cheaper processor?
>>
>>52613066
Absolutely nothing besides lower TDP, and no effect on performance. The clock speed is the only thing that makes any real difference in that case, and there's practically no difference between 2.5 and 2.8ghz.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+G1840+%40+2.80GHz
https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+G1840T+%40+2.50GHz&id=2512
>>
>>52612510
>still can't game on the laptop screen
I remember that you could do some trickery with optimus and get it to display on the internal screen
>>
>>52613005
They actually seem to be very weak, similar to the z3735 found in sub-$100 tablets.
Really looks like a gomped x5/x7. That phone better be cheap.
>>
>>52613066
It means low power for applications that need it, not mobile and half the performance like you probably thought. Maybe you should learn what the trailing designations mean yourself retard.
>>
>>52613151
>absolutely nothing BESIDES LOWER TDP, and no effect on performance (BESIDES THE DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE SHOWN IN THE LINKS YOU POSTED). The clock speed is the only thing that makes any real difference(EXCEPT FOR ALL THE OTHER THINGS) in that case, and there's practically no difference(A DISTINCT MEASURABLE DIFFERENCES EXIST) between 2.5 and 2.8ghz.

You're literally arguing that a slower processor is the the same as a slightly faster one while posting "evidence" that proves the opposite.
>>
The console is killing the desktop for gamming because most normies don't give a fuck about building a pc they just want something that works.

The phone and tablet are killing the laptop because they are more portable (important for non-basement dwellers) and can handle email facebook calls texts dating dinning maps etc etc. So yes mobile is the future and after granny dies her 15+ year old virus stricken desktop will be laid to rest with her.
>>
>>52613249
>trailing designations mean yourself retard
Maybe you should learn to read faggot. The slightly lower power also has slightly lower performance. I don't give a fuck if its figuratively/virtually/practically the same because its factually not.
>>
File: nvidia_trends_01.jpg[1].jpg (70KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
nvidia_trends_01.jpg[1].jpg
70KB, 1000x563px
>>52613393
>The console is killing the desktop for gamming
When will this meme die
>>
>>52613432
Guess what's also slightly lower? The price. Perfectly in line with the performance decrease too. 10% lower, 10% cheaper. Form factor has no effect. You're a retard.
>>
>>52613556
>Form factor has no effect.
Try comparing intel sticks to NUC and those two to desktops of the same price.
>>
>>52613535
>2008
>right when 7 released, windows became stable as fuck, IRQ/IDE/slave/master/ribboncables issues etc cancer pretty much gone
>pcs became easy as fuck even for complete idiots to build

Not really surprising.
>>
>>52613580
>stick
Try not being a complete fucking retard.
>>
>>52613556
Post the link to one at that price.

>Form factor has no effect. You're a retard.
Yes that's what I previously wrote you fucking retarded child. Desktops are not tied to a specific form factor. Learn to read idiot.
>>
>>52613535
All that says is existing pc owners are buying more games.
>>
>>52613556
>The price.
[Citation Needed] Come on reddit, we can do this. :^)
>>
they explode
>>
>>52613633
>tries to argue you pay more for less performance
>gets BTFO
>tries to argue cpus are vastly different
>gets BTFO again
>tries to compare pricing of stick to desktop cpus

Why haven't you killed yourself yet you mouthbreathing retard?
>>
>>52612510
You can game perfectly fine with a TB2 eGPU setup right now, stop pretending you know anything about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVacJp9QvLE

TB3 setups will mean you can get 100% performance from high-end cards instead of 80%.
>>
>>52613662
>so retarded you can't even follow the post you replied to
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>52613710
>le reddit internet rival
kys
>>
>>52613648
Why do you think that? Nothing points to that.
But even if it's just PC gamers spending more on software, they'll want to spend more on upgrades too, driving manufacturers to invest and market things.

Either way, PC gaming isn't dying, in fact it's the opposite. mobile is pushing more into console markets since mainly casuals use them, the latest nintendo was a failure and ps4 and xb1 is already struggling with 1080p.
>>
>>52613622
>>52613693
>>tries to compare pricing of stick to desktop cpus

I'm not him. I'm just saying the form factor makes a huge difference in performance and performance/$.
>>
>>52612294
Dindus aren't smart enough to figure out the thing between the monitor and the stand is the computer, there's no need to worry about theft.
>>
Small low-power PCs like NUC are the future.
>>
>>52613693
>>tries to argue you pay more for less performance
Not me.
>gets BTFO
Not me.
>tries to argue cpus are vastly different
Not me. I'm arguing that they are different, which they are. They are not "vastly' different, but they are different.
>gets BTFO again
Still hasn't happened, the loosers are just claiming their opinions mean victory. The facts say otherwise.
>tries to compare pricing of stick to desktop cpus
Not me.

Seems your confused and stupid, kek.
>>
>>52611885
>we've finally reached <30 degrees ambient temperature for cpus not under load, lets cram them into ever smaller cases and remove the cooling fan entirely!

I hate the future.
>>
>>52613810
exactly.
>>
It's gonna be the century of Intel Atom or something.
>>
Small and low power portable devices is good.
Small and low power stationary devices is just stupid.
>>
>>52613810
Everyone(read normal people) want thin because thin is sexy and that means they are more sexy even though they are getting less thin. Which actually make me think, as devices generally get smaller people generally get bigger.

>Breaking News: IPhones cause obesity A new study says...
I'm just waiting for the headline and the inevitable lulz that follow.
>>
>>52613866
>devices that perform the same but cost 90% less materials to build are stupid

Manufacturers are probably pushing this harder than anyone else. Vast majority of computers will never be opened even once in their entire life cycle, so upgradability is of zero concern.
>>
>>52613916
stop waiting and write your own headline

nobody would notice teh fake anyway
>>
>>52613949
I liek it.
>>
>>52611885
Am I the only one who wouldn't mind having my "desktop" be in a case the size of a mobile phone? If it gave me reasonably good performance I'd be all over it. Probably not quite there tech-wise though (to get the performance I and a lot of other people would want/expect)
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.