[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What reason is there to actually install Windows, without all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 19

File: Windows-10-Logo.jpg (125KB, 3200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-Logo.jpg
125KB, 3200x1800px
What reason is there to actually install Windows, without all the gaming bullshit?
>>
to make a review of it.
>>
The fact that it doesn't brake down every five minutes like any Linux distro
>>
>>52595547
Every 5 seconds with windows 10.
>>
Office work for average people.
>>
Software
Just works
>>
>>52595591
But you can do your work with LibreOffice.
>>52595594
Linux just works, too. Not just Windows.
>>
File: 1452368185237.gif (457KB, 390x293px) Image search: [Google]
1452368185237.gif
457KB, 390x293px
The best editing software, the most flexible hardware configs without needing to be a basement troll with a book of command lines because if Microsoft never pushed GUI linfags would be happy typing paragraphs as the norm today.
>>
Visual Studio is pretty comfy.
>>
drivers

not even my GPU works with shitnux
>>
>>52595603
I didn't say that it doesn't, I use Linux on my laptop and so far had no problems with it.
>>
>>52595607
Are you saying that it's bad to use a CLI?
>>
Actually none.
I only installed it just for direct x12 meme and thats it. Tbh i hate the way it looks, its ugly , i like when it was windows 7. I would actually prefere linux than this os
>>
>You want a good looking, easy to use and userfriendly OS?
Get Windows 10

>You want to choose between a thousand slightly different OSs and feel edgy?
Get a Linux distro
>>
>>52595547
Nice meme, friend, but Linux doesn't break down.
>>
>>52595603
>But you can do your work with LibreOffice.
Which works great for your documents until you realize office work involves working on documents with other people/companies.

Libreoffice is great by itself, but it's still pretty shit when it comes to opening MS office files. Not LO's fault, but that doesn't make it any less of an issue.
>>
>>52595637
>>You want a good looking, easy to use and userfriendly OS?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH GOD
OH GOD I ALMOST CRIED THERE
>>
>>52595662
Honestly I like the look of Windows 10, yes there are glaring problems with it, and if I didn't play games I wouldn't be using it.
>>
>>52595542
Personally I have to have Windows installed on my MacBook because:

1. Chinese internet banking absolutely requires Internet Explorer because they're stuck in the late 90s with the forced ActiveX meme.
2. My friend has an NTFS formatted hard drive that he wants me to copy files to but OS X doesn't natively support writing to NTFS and what little available solutions that are available either don't work with the latest version of OS X or are too unstable to rely on.

Back home, I have Windows on my desktop for video games and little else. Where I can, I opt to play my games on Linux to support the platform.
>>
>>52595662
Why do you think is windows so popular huh? I is because even the dumbest people can use it after some time. People dont want to spend hours to find out what distribution fits their needs.

Linux might be great, free, and very modifyable but not for people that dont need that stuff.

And shut up with ur "OMG win10 looks ugly hur hur" tastes are different.
>>
>>52595722
>Why do you think is windows so popular huh?
Because it's dumbed-down so that a person with a single-digit IQ can use it. Power users are being treated like BABIES on Windows 10.
>>
>>52595749
Thats the stupidest thing ive heared in a while. So windows is bad because you are such a crazy computer geek and it is too easy for you. Holy shit i guess you are more edgy than a minecraft block
>>
>>52595722
>Why do you think is windows so popular huh?
>>52595749

Both answers are incorrect.

The real reason that Windows is the most popular OS is because ever since it's release, Microsoft has been bribing OEMs to make Windows the pre-installed OS on almost every computer that gets sold. Technically illiterate people don't know about what options there are with regards to choice of OS, have no idea that operating systems can be switched out and often have no idea what an OS even is.

Over the years this has led to the situation of people just assuming that Windows is how a computer should work unless it's a Mac, because it's the only thing that people have ever been given the opportunity to know. This leads to Windows being popular not because people consciously choose Windows for their PCs but because they don't realise they even have a choice to begin with and as a result of that, Windows is the most popular desktop OS, thus developers prioritise Windows as a platform and people are continuously locked into the platform.

Not to mention Microsoft Office being made a mandatory standard across many offices and educational institutions all over the world, meaning that even if people choose an open source office suite like LibreOffice, they're fraught with compatibility issues when they share their work with colleagues and if they don't know any better, they just assume that software like LibreOffice is of low quality rather than being a victim of the proliferation of proprietary file formats. The reality is that only about 10% of MS Office users actually require the advanced features that only MS Office provides, whereas your average university student or office drone would find LibreOffice's feature set perfectly suitable for their needs were it not for the proliferation of MS Office and it's proprietary standards.

The dominance of Microsoft software is a brilliantly engineered vicious circle that your average user will likely never break out of.
>>
>>52595878
That isn't correct.

Windows is so popular, because back in the day when MS-DOS and UNIX had a tight competition, dos computers were so much cheaper that they earned a large market share.

These days most people aren't aware about linux and don't want to change because change is always a scary thing.
>>
>>52595722
>>Why do you think is windows so popular huh?
Because Microsoft has been abusing the consumer monopoly for 30 years of pre-bundling Windows with every single computer besides Macintosh.
>>
Photoshop and Lightroom CC
>>
>>52595961
You're talking about DOS, not Windows.

DOS was in an era where you could still choose which OS you wanted on your PC when you bought it, Windows heralded in the era of Windows being the default OS of PCs.
>>
>>52595627
I have never encountered a task which required me to use the CLI.

Sure, some things CAN be done with the CLI, and a very small number of things are easier with CLI, but in every case there is a program with a GUI which will do it.

Granted, I'm not a network engineer or a system admin or a nasa scientist, I'm a tech-savvy home user. For a tiny minority of people, using the CLI is better for some things, but for the overwhelmingly vast majority of computer users, you simply do not need to touch the command line, ever, and being made to use it is the indicator of bad software.
>>
>>52595603
Run BF4 on a fucking Linux machine. That's a fucking dare.
>>
>>52595812
If you want a system that just works out of the box, windows still has a slight advantage. If you want to extensively customize your system linux is actually the easier system to use, because windows hides its advanced features underneath layers of bullshit, or just plain lacks certain features.
>>
>>52596027
>without all the gaming bullshit?
>>
>>52596027
Off-topic but let's be honest here, the only areas where Linux is even lacking these days is industry-standard design/art tools and video games, the latter of which is improving all the time.
>>
Anyone else feel like Windows 10 is not a computer os but more like a ”service" Microsoft provides?
>hidden advanced settings
>forced auto updates
>dat user agreement
>some dialogs diaplay messages like "let us do that for you" or "we're getting windows ready for you"
>>
>>52596027
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmasterrace/comments/2z30dq/gpu_passthrough_or_how_to_play_any_game_at_near/
>>
>>52595542
>What reason is there to actually install Windows
For work. If you work on a computer and are not a hipster graphical design artist.
>most other people at work use windows so everything will be compatible
>easy to set up and manage, it just werks
>all software is works without having to spend days on configuration
>very stable and efficient OS
>GUI is far quicker than command line interfaces
>when you are a grown up adult things looking like a kiddie hacker or spending hours ricing your desktop do not look appealing
What advantages are there even for linux
>>
>>52596263
>what are servers
>what is development for anything other than windows
>what is using any distro other than memearch
>what is performance & stability
>what is windows CLI? I remember, shit. No wonder the GUI is faster if your terminal is stuck in 1999
>what is real linux? not /g/ desktop threads
>>
>>52596263
Oh sorry, were you describing OSX?

This is how shitty your argument is.
>>
Sounds about right. I run OSX and I don't really play games anymore because I just can't be fucked to boot into windows.
>>
File: temp.png (172KB, 779x1007px) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
172KB, 779x1007px
>>52596331
>>52596312
>>
>>52596163
Lol, you need 2 GPUs.

2016, year of the Linux. Amirite?
>>
>>52596554
You do realize that most people have integrated Intel graphics?
>>
File: fedorafrog.png (56KB, 231x231px) Image search: [Google]
fedorafrog.png
56KB, 231x231px
>>52595749
>>
>>52596590
Not on my $300 mobo
>>
>>52596437
>inb4 that lincuck posts his tl;dr full of bullshit
>>
>>52596621
But my 50€ mobo does?
>>
Because you need to use Windows software which doesn't run as well (or at all) under Wine, or because you need to use hardware that Linux doesn't have good drivers for. If neither of those apply to you, use Linux instead.
>>
>>52596650
>tech enthusiast
>$50 mobo

Now I understand why long time computer users can have so much trouble with their computers.
>>
>>52596688
Spending 300 usd on a mobo is stupid and unnecessary.

It's not about the hardware you know? And you also have a quad titan setup?
>>
>>52595547
PROOF IT NIGGER
>>
>>52596700
I used to buy <$100 mobos for a long time

Then I splurged a couple years ago. Holy shit all the strange, little problems I used to have don't happen any more, without changing the graphics card, sound card, hard drives, power supply, etc.

I don't even run more than 1 gfx card.
>>
Are you aware how fucking easy it is?

>GUI install
>automatic driver install (Microsoft has a shitton of drivers)
>>
>>52595547
Confirmed for never have used Linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz1P40Dt8lg
>>
>>52596799
>all the strange, little problems
Funny, I haven't experienced these sort of "problems" could be because I use linux?
>>
File: FUCKING-REKT.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING-REKT.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>52595547

BEAT THE FUCK OUT
E
A
T

T
H
E

F
U
C
K

O
U
T
>>
>>52596820
>never had any problems using Linux

Now you're just lying.
>>
File: qZpRU4S.png (682KB, 1080x2673px) Image search: [Google]
qZpRU4S.png
682KB, 1080x2673px
>>
File: 1447244952758.jpg (148KB, 650x868px) Image search: [Google]
1447244952758.jpg
148KB, 650x868px
>>52595577

nah, it's fine.
>>
>>52596856
I didn't say I've never had issues using linux. I said I haven't experienced your sort of "little problems". On linux I'm at least able to fix the problems myself but on windows I have to stare at a screen which says : "something went wrong"
>>
>>52596858
saved
>>
>>52595662

windows has never been "easy to use"

that's why os x exists, for parents and luddites, and regular people who don't love windows for things aside from games.
>>
>>52596858
>caring about game politics
>>
>>52596896
>2016
>"Windows isn't spying on me"
some people are so naive
>>
>>52596437
And that's why I prefer BSD
>>
>>52596263

no way, I use Linux and OpenOffice so I open and resave attached documents emailed to me in open office formats and then send them back and laugh when they can't open them in ms office.

fucking windows plebes
>>
>>52596918
>he doesn't know how to debloat his windows and block ms servers
>>
>>52596858
>infinite customizability
>keyboard macros that work under windows refuse to work under linux
Sure...
>>
>>52595542
Nothing. If I didnt play osu I wouldn't touch Windows again.
>inb4 wine
Muh games are on a flash drive, does wine support launching .exe in that setup? I don't know because I didn't research it
>>
>>52596958
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/
>>
>>52596962
So you are incapable of following instructions and setting a couple config files yourself? Jesus you ADHD kids need to die...
>>
>>52596987
That article was proven fake a while ago.
>>
>>52596987
>whole article about default Windows setting
>no mention of DWS
Shitty bait
>>
>>52597003
source please
>>
>>52595542

Driver and commercial software support.

>>52595603

>LibreOffice

No. The formatting is horrible when you bring in an LibreOffice document into MS Office, and the Excel stuff isn't 100% - good luck bringing in legacy excel stuff into LibreOffice.
>>
File: Laughing-Crying-Emoji-15.png (46KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Crying-Emoji-15.png
46KB, 256x256px
>>52596958
>2016
>he thinks he can trust proprietary software to do what he tells it to
>>
>>52597002
Those "couple config files" are already set up and refuse to function properly, my dear passive aggressive memster. X is so shit it can't even consistently discern between the two alt keys. You realize it's only your fault that you're locking yourself into your special snowflake Linux corner where everything is apparently flawless and bugfree and everyone's born a computer genius.
>>
>>52597026
>Driver
Most hardware works out of the box with Linux and has done for a while now.

>The formatting is horrible when you bring in an LibreOffice document into MS Office
>good luck bringing in legacy excel stuff into LibreOffice.

Wouldn't be a problem if Microsoft weren't shoving their proprietary formats down everyone's throat.
>>
>>52597025
Oh wait, that's not the article with the windows 10 sending screenshots that was disproven.

The shit the article mentions is what every blocking software available for Windows 10 blocks. Spybot anti Beacon, hosts file modification, disablewintracking, that visual basic script, etc.
>>
>>52597044
Packets can be sniffed using open source routers. Windows 10 has been out for 8 months. Show me an article where someone uses something like Spybot anti Beacon, yet catches data being sent through the router.
>>
>>52595653
actually libreoffice support for ms files is great, it's the other way around that is lacking.
>>
>>52597092

>Most hardware works out of the box with Linux and has done for a while now.

Sure it 'works' but does it work to spec? As example, generally speaking GPU drivers haven't been as good as on Windows. Not to mention Wi-Fi adapters and 'software' modems.

>Wouldn't be a problem if Microsoft weren't shoving their proprietary formats down everyone's throat.

Uh, how do you think they make their money?
>>
>>52597166
>>52597114
You do realize that Spybot anti-beacon is closed source?
>>
>>52596680
wow, someone sane.
>>
>>52596815
installing *buntu is easier.
>>
>>52597187
GPUs are pretty much the only things that often don't work to spec. Yes there are some issues with some wifi adapters sometimes but I've never experienced any issues that involve me doing anything more than merely installing a proprietary driver package that couldn't be shipped with a distro. And fuck software modems man, this isn't 1998 anymore.

>Uh, how do you think they make their money?
How do you think that justifies what they do?
>>
>>52596163
>near native performance
>near
>near
>native performance
>not at
>but near

this is pointless
>>
>>52597232
Agree. Installing Windows is actually a pain in the ass.
>random esoteric error message that says absolutely nothing, Google gives million different interpretations of it
>after a few hours, turns out the Windows installer couldn't access the same partition it fucking booted from because who the fuck knows, set it to accessible again and it worked
>install Windows
>existing MBR gets wiped out completely
Mama mia
>>
>>52597326
No it's not? I was told to prove that you can run BF4 on linux. It's nowhere near pointless
>>
>>52596094
How about the area where it doesn't have a DE that isn't bugged up inconsistent bullshit?
>>
>>52597376
its pointless why go through all the hassle when i could just run windows and get full performance?
>>
>>52597308

So you're gonna buy a 300+ dollar piece of hardware and have it not perform upto spec, on top of having limited # of childrens games to play with? As far as software modems, they are not rare and believe it or not they are still used and not just to access the internet.

>How do you think that justifies what they do?

You've never had a 'real' job, have you? Money justifies what they do - they are not alone go look at Adobe, Apple, Cisco, Facebook, Redhat, Twitter, google, and practically any other profitable business out there.
>>
>>52596437
http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html
https://mmstickman.wordpress.com/linux/why-linux-reasons-why-i-dislike-windows-why-linux-is-awesome/

Interestingly when i weight both windows and linux pros and cons linux wins by a wide margin though
>>
>>52596688
>moving the goalpost this hard
>>
>>52597204
That wont effect whether or not an open source router can sniff out packets.
>>
>>52597414
Maybe people don't want to run windows with their bs policies and annoying resource usage? Oh right, you're too dumb to understand what swap is.
>>
>>52597448
So it can sniff linux and windows
>>
>>52597114
>has to install proprietary software and run shady scripts from around the internet just to reduce the amount of spying on his system
Lmao
>>
>>52595542
To meet the general minimum competency requirement in this day of computing. Go to Best Buy: you'd need to know your way around Android, Windows 10, iOS, OS X, and ChromeOS. Breaks it down to a specific flavor of Linux, Windows, and BSD.
>>
>>52597494
"But, but some guy on the internet said it's legit and my free shady antivirus doesn't flag it"
>>
>>52597494
>OS has issue
>fix it up

Strange how Linux users freak out about people having to do this on Windows. Isn't that what you guys do every day with your OS?
>>
>>52597547
See the issue is that these windows solutions are in the gray area where you can't tell if it's malware or a helpful script
>>
>>52596896
>i-i don't have any argument against what he said
>so i'll just say that i don't care
Software is not an sterile thing, is not programmed by a machine or a god with perfect criteria, is something made by humans and for humans. Unlike you i also care for the intentions of the developers and i can distinguish when a problem with the software is an honest mistake or due to lack of resources or third party support or when in contrast is an artificial limitation. uTorrent is a good example of this, the developers can screw their users as much as they want because they'll gonna use it anyway.
>>
>>52595607

> Implying there's no such thing as Hackintosh.
>>
>>52597402
Plenty of fine DEs out there to use. I've tried many of them and the most popular choices work absolutely fine. You're just buying into memes.

>>52597416
>So you're gonna buy a 300+ dollar piece of hardware and have it not perform unto spec
As long as it does the job, who really gives a fuck? Yeah if you went and bought an expensive GPU then you probably don't want to use Linux but for virtually any other piece of common hardware then Linux works fine.

>Money justifies what they do
So making money justifies making an anti-competitive monopoly that attempts to strangle out any semblance of competition and seeks to do nothing more than swindle unsuspecting consumers out of their hard earned cash?
>>
>>52597114
>Defending against your own software provider
>Accepting their crazy TOS in the first place by using their product
Use windows as much as you want but damn, don't ask why there's some informed people that doesn't want to use it when possible.
>>
>>52597571
The only issue would be that it spies on you, which can be detected by using an open source router and sniffing the packets in a controlled test environment. Windows 10, and the tools used to debloat it, have been out for half a year now.

And yet, no one has found out that Spybot anti Beacon, or disablewintracking, let some packets through? Or create new packets with their own tracking data?
>>
>>52597622
Except the "informed" are uninformed, based on the fact that they don't even know you can block the tracking.
>>
>>52597547
Except that this issue is not a bug but a windows "feature" and if by any means you need to update your system due to a known vulnerability there's a good probability that you'll go back to square one because is something microsoft pushes on purpose.
>>
>>52596818
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnsXRdU98uw
>>
You can install software by downloading and double clicking one file from the developer's website.

Repositories are nice, and ideal in a free software world, but the convenience of just being able to download and install essentially anything with a few clicks is very convenient. Linux should have a .exe equivilent that works across the board IMO.
>>
>>52597661
you missed the point, why would i want to use a system from i software provider that has proven to screw with their own customers when i just can use another OS? i don't depend heavily on any windows-only software and i only use windows when it's absolutely necessary, so why i should choose windows if i can have peace of mind with linux?
>>
>>52597621

>As long as it does the job, who really gives a fuck?

And this is why people use proprietary software.

>virtually any other piece of common hardware then Linux works fine.

Not sure about that, I've had problems with some of the newer RAID controllers.

>So making money justifies making an anti-competitive monopoly that attempts to strangle out any semblance of competition and seeks to do nothing more than swindle unsuspecting consumers out of their hard earned cash?

Yes, that’s pretty much the aim of any business - monopoly or near monopoly of the market. More customers == more money. More money == happy investors.

Again, have you never held a real job?
>>
File: 1420404925629.jpg (49KB, 605x412px) Image search: [Google]
1420404925629.jpg
49KB, 605x412px
>>52597721
>Linux should have a .exe equivilent that works across the board IMO.
>>
>>52597721
>download .deb
>extract
>run executable
>>
>>52597721
Repositories are convinient. No need for "magic wizard 3000 installation setup" trash
>>
>>52597684
Because if the thing you're worried about (spying) can be disabled, then you are misinformed.
>>
>>52597729
>And this is why people use proprietary software.

But if free software does the job, why pay for proprietary software?

>Yes, that’s pretty much the aim of any business - monopoly or near monopoly of the market. More customers == more money. More money == happy investors.

And ultimately ends in customers getting fucked over and industry stagnation

>le real job meme

Yeah I get it, you're a big boy
>>
>>52597721
It has, look for example the installers of humble bundle's DRM-free games that are self contained, this is not the default because the package managers has just too much advantages.
>>
>>52597755
But I'm using arch
>>52597765
You seem to be leaving out adding repositories for specific software, which is also inconvenient. Not to mention the fact that not all software can be found in a repository at all.
>>
>>52597798
First: don't use arch if you don't know what you're doing. Arch works fantastically if you are experienced.

Secondly: adding repositories isn't a huge hassle, only adding 2 lines to a conf file
>>
>>52597811
Why do you assume I don't know what I'm doing? You can't install using a .deb with arch or an arch based distro.

Do you know off of the top of your head the names of additional repositories for the specific software they contain? Neither do I.
>>
>>52597811
This
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_user_repositories

Link related, and i'm not even taking the AUR in account:
>>
>>52597841
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=arch+linux+repositories
>>
File: no_more_hugs__will.jpg (138KB, 771x886px) Image search: [Google]
no_more_hugs__will.jpg
138KB, 771x886px
Its funny how people post opinons on this thread not knowing that its just a bait thread to reel in people who like and hate windows to throw shit and facts all over the place. But please show me more graphs and facts about which is better.
>>
>>52597621
>Plenty of fine DEs out there to use. I've tried many of them and the most popular choices work absolutely fine. You're just buying into memes.
No memes sir. Gnome DEs are awful for multi monitor setups, KDE crashes all the time, LXDE has bizarre panel behavior, Linux apps in general can't seem to decide which way the tab key is supposed to switch, etc.
>>
>>52597850
>>52597862
You both just further proved my point. Very few people would prefer to search through that list as opposed to going to the developer's website and clicking about 4 times.
>>
>>52597773

>But if free software does the job, why pay for proprietary software?

"as long as it does, who really gives a fuck?"

>And ultimately ends in customers getting fucked over and industry stagnation

As business is not in it for the customer.

>Yeah I get it, you're a big boy.

You've a very naive and immature point of view of how the world 'should' work, and this has been the demise of a lot of 'visionaries' who can't meet the world half-way.

Pretty much your argument for using free software is 'because I said so and its about freedom'. Normies need more incentive than you make you happy - just go see how many are happily using Facebook and Google.
>>
>>52597893
If someone prefers to click 4 times over adding repos, they are idiots if using arch
>>
>>52597906
Can you give me a reason why a user shouldn't be able to do both?
>>
>>52597906
>idiots are using arch
Basically
>>
>>52595542
Linux is too full of people making special snowflake distros to make any as versatile or supportable as windows.

Apple not even once
>>
>>52597923
Bro you need some worms for that bait
>>
>>52597944
>windows
>versatile
what?
>>
>>52597661
>trusts Windows not to break blocking scripts/programs in the future even though he gives Microsoft administrative access through updates and backdoors
sorry, I don't believe in blind faith
>>
File: Spectacle.nS2353.png (40KB, 873x327px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.nS2353.png
40KB, 873x327px
>>52597841
Not him but i also think that you don't know what you're doing.

> You can't install using a .deb with arch or an arch based distro
Actually there's a lot of scripts on the AUR that does this exactly, for example:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/teamviewer/
Look at the sources, the script just repackages the compiled binaries, that way pacman can know where is everything. You can write your own scripts too if you know what you're doing:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/creating_packages

>Do you know off of the top of your head the names of additional repositories for the specific software they contain? Neither do I.
see >>52597850
And yes, you can browse the packages they contain, for example:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/denkad/ArchLinux/x86_64/

hope this info helps you in the future.
>>
>>52597963
>trusts Linux, which allows contributions from anyone, not to do the same
>>
File: windows high resource usage.png (334KB, 601x664px) Image search: [Google]
windows high resource usage.png
334KB, 601x664px
>>
>>52597893
>>52597919
A lot of developers points to the repos that includes their software for arch if it's not included. If the developer doesn't cares for arch people makes packages anyway but this is not arch's fault.
>>
>>52597998
I know this bug. It's how windows does file caching, and it's caused when a program like utorrent is accessing many large files. Microsoft released a fix for it that, and I have it installed on my Windows Server 2008
>>
>>52598026
Nonono it's a "feature"
>>
>>52597991
At this point linux has proven to be more reliable though. Also unlike windows users i have full control on my system. Feels good to not need to blame anyone except me most of the few times that something fails.
>>
To get a better understanding of the internal workings of one of the OSes that is mostly used by your clients.
If you meant recreationally, there's no reason besides gaming.
>>
>>52597991
>what is auditing
>>
>>52597966
What about suse/fedora? I said arch because it's what I'm using, but the fact remains that .deb will not work across all major linux distros. Again, there are plenty of users who would rather download a .exe and double click it than browse some list for packages that may or may not be given an obvious name.

You guys are proving another reason why linux isn't exactly better than windows. Whenever a user points out a feature that linux lacks, people rush to tell said user why they should not want that feature.

>>52598010
I understand that developers who make software for linux will mostly give instructions on how to properly install it, from repo or otherwise. But that still doesn't explain why linux users should not have the option to install software in a similar double-click fashion as on a windows machine.
>>
Office for school. School programs are windows and mac only.
>>
>>52598079
>But that still doesn't explain why linux users should not have the option to install software in a similar double-click fashion as on a windows machine.
because that's a security risk and because debian, gentoo/funtoo, arch, fedora, opensuse and slackware are different OS and unified installers would not work.
>>
>>52598117
So are you telling me that because linux is so fragmented, such unified features are a pipe dream?
>>
>>52598093
>School programs are windows and mac only.
what does your school use? where are you?
>>
>>52598135
unified features work for one OS, there are many different OS and unless guix will take over unified installers will be a pipe dream for quite some time.
>>
because windows 7 is TEN YEARS OLD and no longer works on the latest chips
>>
>>52595878
This. I didn't know Linux was a thing until late highschool.
>>
>>52598163
I guess that's a fair reason to use windows if you don't feel like dealing with several different ways to go about installing software.
>>
>>52595603
>you can do your work with LibreOffice
>>
>>52598218
it's not like the difference is big. also debian+ubuntu makes up most of the users.
>>
Installing programs on linux is easy
>>
>>52595542
- To use Adobe suite, Unity 3D, Cubase ... and hundreds of professional softwares not available for Linux.
- To be actually sure that your system doesn't break when you update it.
- To get a decent battery life on your laptop
>>
>>52595542
There are no reasons to use this piece of shit. Just buy Mac.
>>
>>52598368
Friends don't let Friends buy a Mac
>>
File: Spectacle.HV2353.png (258KB, 590x691px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.HV2353.png
258KB, 590x691px
>>52598079
>What about suse/fedora? I said arch because it's what I'm using, but the fact remains that .deb will not work across all major linux distros.
I'm not saying that .deb is compatible among all distros and that it shouldn't be nice to have a packaging format compatible with all distros, but all those distros are different operative systems made by different people with different purposes and ideologies, by your logic windows and mac are bad because you cannot install a mac package on windows and vice versa.

you say:
>Again, there are plenty of users who would rather download a .exe and double click it than browse some list for packages that may or may not be given an obvious name.
and also you say:
>why they should not want that feature
However that feature is already proven to exist in this thread >>52597774, pic related. So this is not a feature that doesn't exists as you are claiming.

>You guys are proving another reason why linux isn't exactly better than windows. Whenever a user points out a feature that linux lacks, people rush to tell said user why they should not want that feature.
First, how is the opinion of a linux user directly related to windows or linux being better or worse?
Second, you're putting words in my mouth and replying to an strawman argument you made, i never said that i not want a feature that doesn't exists, in fact i proved that said feature exists, i just explained why package managers are better. At this point you're just trying to discredit me without any argument and pushing your frustration to an imaginary enemy.

>I understand that developers who make software for linux will mostly give instructions on how to properly install it, from repo or otherwise. But that still doesn't explain why linux users should not have the option to install software in a similar double-click fashion as on a windows machine.
I already proved wrong this statement, we have both options actually.
>>
>>52595542
Having a job.
>>
File: BIN2ah8.jpg (935KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
BIN2ah8.jpg
935KB, 1520x2688px
>>52595542
>>
>>52595542
if you're a /g/ anti-type of guy that shuns everything normal then there is not much of a reason I guess.
>>
>>52596858
>>>/r/pcmasterrace
>>
>>52596023
> Calls himself tech savvy
> Doesn't use cli

GTFO you fuckin' poser.
>>
>>52595607
>>52596023
>without needing to be a basement troll with a book of command lines because if Microsoft never pushed GUI linfags would be happy typing paragraphs as the norm today.
You're making a black or white argument though, there are a lo of programs that give you both options and you can do some task more quickly with command interface without being obligated to use it, most user oriented linux distros like ubuntu are an example of this, having a CLI that doesn't sucks while still having a gui for most configurations is not something mutually exclusive.
>>
>>52598445
>Skullgirls Linux port
It's out?
>>
>>52598942
yes, i don't put an steam or HB link because 4chan could think that is spam but i'll put a youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2HRUVrAAmo
We'll also get indivisible from the same guys, we got D:OS and we'll get xcom2 and street fighter 5 too if you're interested.
>>
File: 1450490824507.png (64KB, 168x234px) Image search: [Google]
1450490824507.png
64KB, 168x234px
>Everyone in my dorm and in class all use Windows 10 and ask me why I don't
>>
File: 1451020349671.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451020349671.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>52598079
>You guys are proving another reason why linux isn't exactly better than windows. >Whenever a user points out a feature that linux lacks, people rush to tell said user why they should not want that feature.
>mfw i'm just relaxing taking a cofee when suddenly someone enters telling me why all linux users are everything that is wrong with this world.
>>
>>52596958
>he has to INSTALL PROPRIETARY APPLICATIONS JUST TO STOP WINDOWS 10 FROM SENDING PACKETS TO MICROSOFT

I AM DYYYYYYYYYYIN OVER HERE
>>
>>52598516
What if you're into server administration and/or IT?
>>
>>52595542
Stability.
Support.
Speed.
Software.
>>
File: 1453599771052.png (40KB, 615x103px) Image search: [Google]
1453599771052.png
40KB, 615x103px
>>52595542
>Using wingblows for anything but gaymes
LOL
>>
File: 1452512099652.png (92KB, 754x445px) Image search: [Google]
1452512099652.png
92KB, 754x445px
>>52596437
Ebin shilling
>>
if you have multiple monitors with different refresh rates they will lag your entire system
solution is to turn of aero shit
turning off aero shit can lead to screen tearing

7 has this issue but 8 and 10 do not.
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.