[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hackintoshes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 13

Anyone out there run hackintoshes? My main it triple booted with Win7, Ubuntu and Osx 10.11.2.
>>
Used to, but it was too buggy and annoying to keep running. All the software I used minus some niche utilities are available on Windows and Linux, both of which have better hardware support.

>eating shit from your hands
>>
>>52585403
Buggy? I haven had osx installed since I built the damn thing two years ago and on the very rare occasion I use osx everything runs fine.
>>
>>52585377
>Osx
>>
>>52585955
>>
>>52585377
Change your fucking serial number you retard.
>>
>>52585716

Not that guy, but running any game on a nvidia hackintosh results in quite a bit of graphical glitches. It's only good for developing shit, which is what I use it for.
>>
>>52586385
Why would you go to the effort to get a hackintosh up and running if your goal is to play video games?

I have a hackintosh, OP. I use it as a desktop/workstation kind of thing that adds to my rMBP, which couldn't drive a couple 4k monitors at 60Hz on its own (hence the video card). I also do some intermediate-scale social network analysis (my laptop is competent for small stuff, my lab has a server with 1TB of RAM and ~100 cores but we all share it so we don't just casually run shit on it (especially if there's a conference deadline coming up)).
>>
10.11.3 speeds a lot of things up
>>
File: 1452832737483.jpg (158KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1452832737483.jpg
158KB, 720x480px
>>52585377
>Mac
>>
i have 10.10.5 running fully except i need an adapter for my vga monitor. once i get that i feel i would make the 100% switch over. i barely play games anymore but if i did they would be runnable on osx anyways. i mainly hackintosh for logic pro x because ive used it on a friends mac when he let me borrow it and oh my god it was fucking perfect. fl studio is great for beginners but logic really just clicked with me. i would buy a macbook but im poor
>>
File: 1453436654273.jpg (65KB, 704x368px) Image search: [Google]
1453436654273.jpg
65KB, 704x368px
>>52585377
>Anyone out there eat shit from their hands?
>>
>>52585377
I managed to install Yosemite a while ago and haven't used it much since. It worked fine until I bought an msi r7 370. A thread on tonymac shows you how to get amd cards running but it isn't very detailed or helpful. Clover gets osx to boot although at shit frame rates.
>>
>>52586516
>Why would you go to the effort to get a hackintosh up and running if your goal is to play video games?

Windows users man, they are really dumb
>>
>>52586931
Yeah but I figured windows users were dumb in the way that lemmings are dumb - that they wouldn't go out of their way to do stupid shit for no reason. worst case, they'd just follow the pack and then wonder several years in how they ended up using windows 10 after years of quietly upgrading from 7 to 8 to 10.

i guess people will always find a way to surprise and disappoint you.
>>
>>52585377
installed el capitan on my laptop, the trackpad, the keyboard and the wifi aren't working but i'll find something.
hackintosh is useless, it's only if you want to waste your time and mess around
but i like it
>>
>>52585377
Yeah, my main desktop is a hackintosh.

Only problems are that it doesn't support handoff and there is occasionally some problem with the audio buffer that causes a glitch. All in all definitely worth it.

>>52586516
>Why would you go to the effort to get a hackintosh up and running if your goal is to play video games?
It's better than linux? Maybe they have something against windows.

>>52587004
You just need to have the right hardware.
>>
>>52586931
>clearly states he uses if for coding only
>tried to run a game on it to see how it performed
>lol!1!1 windoze uzers r dum!

Mactards man, they are really dumb.
>>
>>52587028
i know, but i dont want to waste my money for this
>>
>>52587037
Jackhammers are really shitty at cutting cheese. they're only good for breaking up rock and pavement, which is what i use it for.

WHAT? YOU GUYS ARE GIVING ME SHIT FOR POINTING OUT THAT IT'S NOT GOOD WITH CHEESE? LOL U FUCKTARDS
>>
>>52587101
Macs run games fine, the natural assumption is that if a hack runs OSX fine it should run games fine as well.

You make macfags look even more like retards than they we usually look.
>>
>>52585377
I ran mountain lion and mavericks successfully but i installed lel pakistan last weekend and each install ended up with some kind of invalid/broken drive after doing some updates and program installation, might have to do with 91% health ssd, trimenabler, or me choosing mac pro 3,1 instead of iMac14,1 or something, fullscreen programs (aka gaems (that ran shit likely due to drivers)) opened incorrectly on the vertical monitor and no settings to change it, running win10 for now. Might move to gnoo leenux when I have time to tinker
>>
>>52587157
most non-console games are made for Windows. some are not, but if you want to spend a non-trivial amount of time gaming, just dual-boot.
>>
>>52587180
for got to mention i set up a hackintosh for my dad 3 years ago and it's been great aside from occasionally needing to reinstall the audio kext
>>
>>52585377
I did. I built one for my parents.

Hackintoshes work great as long as you don't plan to use it for the majority of what OSX good for (seamlessly integrated services that run trouble free out of the box). Most Hackintosh people simply say really stupid shit like, "LOL JUST USE <other software here> INSTEAD." If you're replacing all the Apple software with other shit, why bother with OSX?

>>52585716
Oh really? Try running any video purchased/downloaded from iTunes on a hackintosh with Haswell or newer. (You are a liar if you say this works, because it is well documented that it does not and even the autists at tonymacx86 seem to not be working on it very hard.)

How's that iMessage/Facetime working for you? Oh, it's not? (This is actually possible to get working, but it wasn't fun, and it can break at any time.)

>>52587028
>Only problems are that it doesn't support handoff and there is occasionally some problem with the audio buffer that causes a glitch. All in all definitely worth it.
Way more problems than that, however I do have a solution for you: use the m.2 wifi+bluetooth card that iMacs use (BCM94360CD). It works right out of the box, no need for kexts.

However, most mobos do not support the power pins to get both bluetooth and wifi working on the card at the same time, so you have to get a mini-PCIe adapter that has auxiliary USB power pins if your mobo doesn't.

Also this introduced a bug which won't let the system sleep, even if you disable Wake-On-LAN/WiFi/etc.
>>
>>52585377
Just finished it last week actually. Just waiting on some more hardware and I'll have it multi boot with Win7 and Linux.

>>52587055
The correct hardware doesn't cost any more then any other hardware you can buy. That's one of the reasons people do this. If you think you may want to try it in the future, follow TonyMac's hardware guide. The mods are shits though.

>>52586565
I'll have to try 10.11.3 then. I went with 10.10 because I heard(wrongly) that my 10.10 didn't work properly with the USB3.0 on my MB. By the time I'm "done", I'll end up having 5 or 6 OSes on this machine.
>>
File: me.png (38KB, 660x525px) Image search: [Google]
me.png
38KB, 660x525px
Can I run el captain?
>>
>>52587669
can you check the site yourself for hardware compatibility?

i feel like if you can't do that, you shouldn't poke around with anything new.
>>
i tried once for fun but couldn't figure out how to install nvidia and wifi drivers. didn't really look though.

i got passthrough to work, so maybe i'll try again soon.
>>
>>52587228

>How's that iMessage/Facetime working for you? Oh, it's not? (This is actually possible to get working, but it wasn't fun, and it can break at any time.)

Works fine for me. I followed a simple guide and have had no problems since.
>>
Was thinking about doing a 6-core X99 hackintosh build with a R9 390 or 390X some time soon. Any AMD hackintoshers out there?
>>
>>52588323
>i eat shit from my hands but gargle afterwards
>>
Are there drivers for this wifi card?
ralink RT3062

what about gtx 750?
>>
>>52586385
>gaming
>on a PC running OSX
For what purpose?
>>
I just bought a used iMac for 1/3rd the price of a new one instead. It looks good and people who visit your house think you're rich.
>>
Did this for shits and runs pretty well using a mITX Asus board. Only thing is a couple USB ports don't work that I haven't fixed yet but rerouting the ports seems like a pita

Have another Hackintosh that I gave to my dad so he didn't have to over spend on a trashcan using a x79 Gigabyte board that works flawlessly. Probably still on 10.10 though.
>>
Did anyone have trouble running some mkv files on mpv? I don't know if it's an NTFS drive read issue or mpg itself. Done video files work and others don't on the same external drive. Any ideas?
>>
>>52590378
sounds like the drive's got corrupted bits and is shitting itself
>>
>>52590378
Fucking atrocious autocorrect makes me sound retarded m8.
>>
>>52590394
>>52590394
It's not that because the files all work in Windows on mpv. I think it might be some dependency that is missing because not all mkv files refuse to play. I'm having trouble narrowing it down. MPV gives me a could not read file message in the terminal on certain video files.
>>
File: 1453252528578.jpg (75KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
1453252528578.jpg
75KB, 500x350px
>HFS

KEK
>>
>>52586385
I've never had graphical glitches with my build that uses confirmed compatible parts.
>>
>>52588372
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ralink+RT3062+hackintosh

Nvidia seems to be the go to card for Hackitoshes. Anything after a 660 though and you'll have to download the drivers from Nvidia.
>>
>>52585377
How well does it work on amd hardware these days?
>>
>>52590586
>Anything after a 660 though and you'll have to download the drivers from Nvidia.
my 770 works fine with the stock drivers. no injections or anything. in fact the web drivers break a few applications so I don't even use them.
>>
>>52585377
How do mactards get the false impression that /g/ is their personal blog?
>>
>>52588323
Well I guess I'm one >>52588323

Not sure why people are so afraid of using AMD on Hackintoshes. It was literally a 10 second fix inputting two things into Clover on El Capitan. On Yosemite it was just injecting a couple kext which is normal anyway. I mean Apple uses AMD now so why wouldn't it work?
>>
>>52590735
>>52588323
Derp >>52590150
>>
File: 1425408952-md-AstropadStory.jpg (16KB, 591x403px) Image search: [Google]
1425408952-md-AstropadStory.jpg
16KB, 591x403px
>>52585377

10.11.2 Here too. Running it on my old X58 system with a Xeon 5650, 24GB Ram and an R9 290X.

I'm using it for AstroPad functionality on an ipad pro + pencil since it has better functionality than a Wacom Cintiq.
>>
My Hackintosh ethernet doesn't work anymore. The RealtekRLT8111 worked perfect before the newest Capitan update but won't work at all afterwards. I've uninstalled the kext and reinstalled several times but still nothing.
>>
i have an i3 and GTX 950, MSI P33 motherboard, 8GB RAM. thinking about hackintoshing because I like OS X on my macbook and i'm happy with the software selection.

will i run into a lot of issues, or is it relatively easy?
>>
>>52590735
Can you give more details on what you edited with the kext files?
>>
>>52585955
this desu senpai
>>
>>52587228
even windows and linux broke sometime and new OS didn't support old hardware
>>
>>52590828
This is disgusting. His tongue is so white. He needs to learn about oral hygiene
>>
I been using hackintosh since 10.5
>>
>>52590910
>I been eating shit from my hands since 2007
>>
>>52590816
Honestly I don't remember since it was right at Yosemite's release. It was just a simple google search and it didn't take me more than a few mins. I didn't need to edit anything.
>>
>>52590472
I had a 980 Ti on it.
>>
>>52590919
>I was too stupid to get my hackintosh working
>>>/v/
>>
File: 4L_qUdHmdpv.png (86KB, 698x466px) Image search: [Google]
4L_qUdHmdpv.png
86KB, 698x466px
Hey guise
>>
>>52586634
>i posted it again mom
>>
>>52591967
>i was too stupid to get linux working, so i settled for toddler's first *nix
>>>/lgbt/
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (38KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
38KB, 1280x720px
>>52592043
>muh obscurity
>>>/mlp/
>>>/r9k/
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.