[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think of Fedora?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: fedora.png (32KB, 1024x324px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.png
32KB, 1024x324px
I've just installed it, but I don't like it much, especially due to it's package manager, it lacks a lot of basic things. DNF sucks. I'll go back to Debian and APT.
>>
>>52566621
Thats basically the impression I had of it but honestly I think once you get around that and set it up to your style it's a very nice OS
I would've used it more myself but my laptop couldn't handle it
>>
>>52566621
>>52566621
DNF is better than apt, moron. Update and upgrade are a single command, the listing and progress is much clearer and it supports delta packages. Plus from my experience much less retarded dependency problems. Why any sane person would prefer apt is beyond me.
>>
>>52566621
>it lacks a lot of basic things
[citation needed]
>>
Not OP, but for anyone using fedora, is korora a better option for the average linux user? (Note: I am experienced with linux)
>>
>>52566834
Are you saying that DNF has more packages than APT?
>>
>>52566834
oh wow the listing is better that sure makes all the difference

>>52567023
neither dnf or apt has packages
>>
>>52566621
I've no idea how DNF is, but i've read that it's supposed to be better than YUM. If that's true then it must be really great. What kind of problems you found in it?
>>
>>52566621

Because it's RedHat backed, I want to use and love it, but I just can't. APT doesn't force you to install recommended packages, whereas DNF does. Why the flying fuck should openjdk be installed with libreoffice? It's 2016 this is 100% unacceptable.

Also, they have to follow U.S. law since RH is a U.S. company. That means if backdoored software becomes a law in merrica, you bet your ass Fedora will have to use that same software.
>>
>>52567156
Basically DNF = YUM.
>>
>>52567065
>neither dnf or apt has packages
OK sure, but there are more .deb repos than .rpm repos.
>>
>>52567023
If you're asking about the repos, debian's are strictly larger but at the cost of being 4 point releases behind even on the unstable branch. I like debian on servers but it's mediocre for desktop use. Fedora's repos are still huge and between the main repos and rpmfusion will have everything you'd practically need, and is probably second only to Arch in being full-retard bleeding edge all the time.
>>
>>52567262
>Also, they have to follow U.S. law since RH is a U.S. company. That means if backdoored software becomes a law in merrica, you bet your ass Fedora will have to use that same software.
What. Is this a thing? That's the same thing as putting some cameras in people's house to make sure they don't commit any crimes
>>
>>52567065
What makes Apt better?
After using apt, I have no idea why ANYONE wants this archaic mess.
I mean seriously:
>apt-get and apt-cache are two separate commands for some reason
>apt-get update and apt-get upgrade are different commands for some reason
>apt-get purge is too destructive (DNF does this too, but warns you if you are going to do something destructive)
There is more.
>>
>>52567402
>What. Is this a thing?

No, it isn't, he's just being a typical 15 year-old "fukk ameriKKKa" eurotard.
>>
>>52567453
>No, it isn't, he's just being a typical 15 year-old "fukk ameriKKKa" eurotard.
>he
>15 year-old
>eurotard

nice projecting
>>
>>52567416
Stockholm syndrome.

Apt-get/dpkg/whatever the fuck it's called is literally the worst mainstream package manager.
>spergs all over stdout
>no delta-packages
>.deb's are INSANELY complex and hard to build properl, compared to .rpm's or even PKGBUILD's
>splintered system: aptitude vs apt-get vs apt vs dpkg
>outdated dep resolution, incredible slow compared to competetion
>>
>>52567291
DNF = YUM 2.0
>>
>>52567453
I had no idea Canonical was a UK company (Until now.)
>>
>>52566621
I'm pretty sure OP means:
>I don't like it much due to it's repository
Hating DNF but liking APT is crazy.

What Fedora really needs though is a Mint/Ubuntu to it's Debian. Something with a good selection of preconfigured DE's, and a decent NONFREE package selection. Fedora will never be mainstream with their commitment to freedom, we just need someone else to come along and package a bunch of third party nonfree software well. Gnome 3 is also the only first class citizen DE on Fedora, which is unfortunate, because Plasma 5 really outclasses it these days.
>>
>>52567694
>I don't like it much do to its repository.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
>>
>>52567694
Fedora has predefined DE. They call them "Spins." https://spins.fedoraproject.org/
>>
>>52567262
>That means if backdoored software becomes a law in merrica, you bet your ass Fedora will have to use that same software.

you do realise that any major distribution offering backdoored software will immediately be shunned from the global community?

the only way a backdoor is getting into a major linux distribution is through non-free firmware or non-free software, if it's implemented into free software it will be obvious as soon as someone cross-references the packages with source from another distribution - aka immediately - as distributions use patches from other distributions all the time

the only other scenario it's happening is being implemented as a bug, in which case, absolutely no software is safe and please refer to the chain of trust, thank you very much you paranoid fuck
>>
>>52567718
Well, fair enough. It doesn't package even as much software as Debian, it can be quite limiting sometimes. But you get better access to things like enterprise Linux software (oracle Java etc.), which sometimes only package rpm's.

>>52567737
Yes, but compare the Fedora spins with how Mint does their DE's. The spins are identical to just installing the DE's packages yourself (dnf install xfce) and switching the WM. They have things that aren't configured correctly, missing packages that you would expect to find etc. Whereas Mint polishes every variant of their distro. Quality of the actual DE is irrelevant, each is correctly setup and configured to jump in and use. But with Fedora, unless you use gnome, you will encounter things that don't work.
>>
apt sucks ass
>>
OpenSUSE is the superior RPM based distro
>>
>>52567820
>Well, fair enough. It doesn't package even as much software as Debian, it can be quite limiting sometimes.

which is why rpmfusion exists
>>
>>52567836
Care to add anything to that? My only opinion of OpenSuse is that their visual design is pretty poor atm. That lightbulb wallpaper with the lizard lamp is ugly as.

>>52567855
rpmfusion doesn't package nearly as much though. They are useful because they provide packages for Steam, Nvidia drivers etc. but compare to the software that Mint or Arch package it's tiny.
>>
>>52567694
fedora has kokora
>>
>>52566621
>it lacks a lot of basic things.
Even fucking Fedora wiki recommends 3rd party repositories.
Especially rpmfusion free and nonfree

APT is broken piece of shit.
Back in the days of yum you could argue that apt is better for desktop use because yum was slow as fuck.
But since dnf is the default holy fuck I have no idea how you could even compare these two.

Right now dnf reports "broken dependencies" because I have a patched x86_64 version of glib2 (for muh filepicker iconview) with higher version number and an unpatched i686 package. And guess what, everything works just fucking fine, it upgrades correctly, it installs and removes correctly. All dnf does is a "friendly reminder" that theres something wrong. Try the same on memebian-based distros.

Also
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/jkisielewicz/gtk2-filepicker-iconview/
>>
>>52567906
Zypper is better then YUM
YAST is GOAT

And as of recently you get the option of having a super solid "stable version" (same base as their enterprise version) or a rolling release

And I don't think judging by appearance is a good way to measure distros, since
a) just about everybody has their own wallpaper
b) most of us ricers here will change the theme anyways
>>
>>52567977
yast/yast2 is pure poop, you'd know that if you ever tried to do anything else with it but shitpost on 4chan

my story with openSUSE ended the same day it began.
>p excited to try official release of leap
>oh god yast2 is not as good as i thought
>why is it so fucking slow
>try to install my printer (which fucking worked on windows XP and higher + debian, ubuntu and fedora)
>can't do that dave
>>
>>52567964
is there anyway to install this without removing steam?
>>
>>52566621
used it as a teen, nice and secure, corporate-backed

debian now, the one true linux, foundation-backed
>>
File: 1428156793580.jpg (47KB, 500x691px) Image search: [Google]
1428156793580.jpg
47KB, 500x691px
>>52567964
>https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/jkisielewicz/gtk2-filepicker-iconview/
Now I'm fucking golden
>>
>>52568037
Oh wow, does it really conflict?
Post the output in the terminal
>>
>>52568061
i'd bury my dick deep in that mans asshole, what was the question again?
>>
Thei're livestreaming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBbMu5hwxVY
>>
File: quiet.jpg (38KB, 764x500px) Image search: [Google]
quiet.jpg
38KB, 764x500px
>>52567262
because it depends on java

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Java

"LibreOffice contains various pieces of code written in Java. Some of these pieces are currently being replaced/rewritten, but it is likely that LibreOffice will contain Java code for quite some time."

>>52567791
agreed, if you even know what red hat linux is then you'll know about any such "mandatory backdoor" nonsense, even though it's the FBI and the NSA already said no. it's very bad PR.

"Roy Schestowitz posted an article on Techrights which seems to accuse Red Hat of being in cahoots with the NSA. According to the article, the company has been building back doors into RHEL for the spy agency. However, the article appears to be long on accusations and short on proof."

http://fossforce.com/2014/01/red-hat-working-nsa/
original: http://techrights.org/2014/01/17/rhel-security/

the bigger question is, why would anyone use selinux, grsecurity, special kernels, or any of that? it's not the amount of software that matters, but how well it's written.
>>
>>52568269
>the bigger question is, why would anyone use selinux, grsecurity, special kernels, or any of that? it's not the amount of software that matters, but how well it's written.
well it's just another thin layer of security isn't it.

so far the only selinux alert I got was when I told my HP printer to print a page directly from firefox.
>>
>>52568442
that would be an interesting attack. black faxing/ddosing people by compromising the web browser
>>
>>52568513
the funniest thing about it is that the page printed just fine, despite selinux denying "hp" (driver) access to /var/lib/net-snmp/mib_indexes
>>
File: puffy.gif (121KB, 500x453px) Image search: [Google]
puffy.gif
121KB, 500x453px
>>52568562
i think you mean
>/var/lib/net-some-nefarious-malware-protocol/meninblack_indexes

OMFG IT"S BACKDOORED

but case in point, a hypothetical attack that and a failed denial

pic related, sends a neat daily summary of chattrs, /etc diffs, installed/removed pkgs, etc
>>
>>52568678
>meninblack
I thought I will be the only one to notice this lmao
>>
>>52568442
I get a SELinux alert everytime I launch Chrome. I removed it now. (I'm talking about Chrome.)
>>
>>52566621
I'm using it currently.
Version 23 is a really good release in terms of stability and software selection.
DNF is way faster than YUM and APT so that's a plus.
>>
>>52566621
fedora is an old meme. Go for RHEL.
>>
>>52567964
I know that this has been a requested feature for a long time, so much so that it's a meme. But it triggers me that linux people call it an icon view. An icon view would be if it displayed a generic picture frame to indicate that it's an image file. A thumbnail is specifically a smaller version of the picture meant to offer a preview of what it looks like.
>>
>>52566621
I like it, runs smooth on my chinkpad and gives better battery life than any Debian shit I've used. Also for some reason it runs way cooler too.
>>
>>52566834
DNF is redundant. It's result of "job security programming" and NIH approach of Red Hat employees. The reasons for avoiding Zypper were superficial. Compared to apt and zypper, it also quickly entered maintenance mode, or rather "it-can-install-shit-so-fuck-it" mode. Just check its manual page. It's inconsistent with command line usage of almost every command. There undocumented commands and some options doesn't even work. Try this for example:

dnf search lib

and observe that crap. The maintainer (actually, he handed it over already because, well, it's a crap) is lazy to even merge patch to implement some sane sorting[1]. Even better, try this:

dnf search system|less

and scroll down a bit and notice the wrapping. Despite being told in a bug report that some conditions that checks whether the output is terminal is most probably reversed, these niggers leave it this way.

Quality of code out of Red Hat varies. This one is crap.

[1] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf/pull/292
>>
>>52566834
And yeah, dnf is fast. It's fast thanks to the solver developed for Zypper. They simply used good library, made some Python crap around to mimic yum and then got bored. Fedora should've collaborated on Zypper instead.
>>
>>52567964
Yeah. DNF doesn't give you the choice to pick the solution. I don't understand how can you treat it as feature. It may happen (happened to me), that for some package it went on to install 100 MB dependencies. While the dependencies could be satisfied with 2MB of dependencies with another solution.

You can't also install and remove packages in one operation, i.e. one dep solver run.

And it's command line usage is just fucked up. "dnf repository-packages", "dnf --enablerepo=...", wtf? Do these niggers even use command line?

Seriously, apt may be slower and clunkier at times, but it's way more usable and Unixish than this Python crap.
>>
>>52567402
America
>>
bleeding edge
just werks
haz terminal
pretty happy with this distro
pic related
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.