[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

has anyone here ditched his desktop for a notebook and if yes,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 23

has anyone here ditched his desktop for a notebook and if yes, how is it working for you?
>>
i bought a laptop 4 years ago. it was alright, but now i'm back to using a desktop as my main pc. wouldn't recommend replacing your desktop with a laptop at all, unless all you do is watching youtube videos and shitposting on 4chan.
>>
>>52551665
I did for a few years but gaming started becoming a problem since it became fairly evident the large majority of notebooks have pretty awful cooling systems.

Now it's desktops for me mainly. Maybe i'll try laptops again in a few years.
>>
File: hpZBOOK15_2.jpg (34KB, 500x425px) Image search: [Google]
hpZBOOK15_2.jpg
34KB, 500x425px
>>52551665

I just really wanted something I can be mobile with, that's powerful and I can dock it at home and run dual monitors off it. And I felt that having a desktop and a laptop would be annoying since I'd have to reopen one thing on another when I get home or leave.

pic related is what I have, with a docking station at home
>>
You would be stupid to try.
>>
I use a Surface Pro 3 as my main computer, and I have it setup like a desktop for the most part. Hooks up to one 1080p 21 inch monitor, along with some nice speakers, wireless keyboard, a decent mouse, etc etc

Works pretty good for me now, because all I do is light web browsing, YouTube, and a little bit of video games, but nothing large because I don't have time anymore. It only has one USB port though, so a hub is a must, especially a powered one if you plan on using things that aren't battery powered.

It actually doesn't look too shit, but if I had more money I would have sprung for the Surface Pro 3 that had 8GB of RAM. 4GB is very workable, but "I need to close this program because I need more RAM" is not a thought I ever like having.
>>
>low performance
>and paying out the ass for said performance
>overheating, yes all of them
>one or two hdds max
>no PCI
>small screen
>~2 external screen maximum

Having a laptop as main PC is suffering, if you're fine with it you do not belong on g.
It's something you should only do if you are force to, like being homeless or having to go places to get internet (been there)
>>
>>52552238
actually I was thinking about getting a thinkpad along with a docking station so I can use my big screen at home. I don't game at all..
>>
>>52552238

>low performance

ok sure

yes it is expensive but muh portability

get a laptop without shit cooling, and if it over heats, it just shuts down

>one or two hdds max

that's what external hard drives are for

>no PCI

What is Thunderbolt 3

>small screen

Stop getting macbook airs

um no? Get a laptop with enough ports, a good enough GPU and you'll get more than 2 external display support.

e.g. MacBook Pro has HDMI and 2x miniDP ports. You can even connect a max of 5 displays, 2 via Thunderbolt 2, each.
>>
>>52551665
Using a half decent Laptop as my main computer (Precision M4800) for a few months now and I'm good with the move.

DISCLAIMER - The most gaming I do is openRA and that's mostly cpu based so no issues there.

For storage it doesn't hurt to have a server if you're more inclined to hoard media rather than stream. I stream most of my stuff on my Rokus so not worried about storage personally.

It just depends on what you want to do.
>>
>>52552298
show me a laptop with a 27 inch screen and i'm game
>>
I sold my desktop some years back after I got a thinkpad.

All I have to do when I go home is drop my thinkpad onto my dock and they goes my keyboard mouse monitors etc.

Then when it comes time to take a shit or something I just take it off the dock and bring it to the bathroom with me (I'm currently here).

I would say it really depends on your monitor setup and if you can use a dock. Without a dock it becomes annoying to connect and disconnect everytime. USB 3.0 to HDMI is an option for more monitors.

I am not favored by the gods so I a pretty shitty workstation. X201 + 32" TV + 20" Monitor. X201 has a ssd and 8 gb of ram.

I don't rely on this machine to store things for me. I keep school stuff on dropbox and personal stuff on a local server that is mainly for plex.
>>
used to use pcs then i grew out of gaming

use a macbook pro 13". it's only a 2011 model but it still works as new.

it's cool and all but sometimes when i'm bored i do miss playing games and shit.

also cpu intensive apps like video editing and photoshop just won't play well.
>>
>>52551665
but that's a downgrade
>>
I have a triple monitor setup connected to a t420 dock then I use the extra display port on the monitor to connect to a gaming pc, that I never even use anymore desu.

I picked up a Thinkpad T420 from ebay, along with 2 docks.

3 monitors with dock at home and 3 monitors with dock at work. So far I love it. Hell of a lot easier managing data between locations and cheaper than buying 2 pcs.
>>
>>52552351
that's what I've been thinking about..
>>
Yes, now i can code, shitpost and watch anime in bed, it's really confy.
>>
>>52552238

Why on earth do you think that most people who come on /g/ should need more than 3 screens? I don't even know why most people would need 3 at all.

>>52552298

'If it over heats, it just shuts down'

Yeah, that's an issue.

>>52552337

"Show me a laptop that has absolutely no purpose in being a laptop"

If you want a laptop with a 27 inch screen, fuck, just get a goddamn mini desktop PC with good specs and a handle, and lug around your damn monitor with it. What is wrong with you?
>>
>>52552351
>x201
>pretty shitty

dude. be more thankful for what you got. that's a nice laptop.
>>
Been using nothing but laptops for the better part of the last decade, all Dell Latitudes from a D630 to an E6400 and now with an E6420. Will be looking into an upgrade at some point this year depending on what becomes available.

Owned a few ThinkPads as well, T60, T410, but they just aren't up to snuff even in spite of /g/'s love of them. They are great machines, but Lenovo is ruining them as time passes - can't even get a ThinkPad in fucking black anymore, it's that god awful puke grey half-breed color bullshit.

Fuck Lenovo, hard deep and fast with a frozen hockey stick.

And yes I always use a docking station with my Latitudes.
>>
Right now my desktop has a 1230v2 Xeon.. and I was thinking about gettint a t430 with an i7-3520M. Thing is I don't game anymore, you think I will notice a big difference in every days use?
>>
it's my end goal, which happens soon i hope.

want to get rid of my clunky desktop.
>>
I did the opposite thing and I love desktops.

The bad thing is that you can't just "detach" the computer and go to take a shit with all your programs open like >>52552351 said.
>>
>>52552940
The reason why /g/ loves old thinkpads is because you can replace every software and firmware part of them with free software.
>>
File: 1444549767512.jpg (924KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1444549767512.jpg
924KB, 5000x5000px
>>52552337
>27'' screen
>laptop
>>
>>52552936
x201 cost ~$100 dollars.
I will assume you from the U.S. living in California for the following.

100 dollars = 2000 cans.

If you collect 2000 cans, you can recycle them and buy a x201.

Worst case will be that you only find one can per hour.
So lets say for 10 hours you collect 10 cans.

So if for 200 days you collect 10 cans per day you can get a nice laptop. That's pretty fucking amazing.
>>
>>52552899
Dunno, man, you could have a full keyboard AND a digitizer on it. It would be more of a movable workstation rather than an actual laptop and weight like 25-30 pounds, but I would probably buy it.
>>
itt /v/
>>
>>52554260
Actually never mind, that sounds ridiculously impractical and therefore awesome and now I actually want it.

I am what's wrong with the world.
>>
>>52554535
That tends to be the nature of the beast, eh? Awesome things are simply not made for regular use.
>>
>>52552393
>So far I love it. Hell of a lot easier managing data between locations and cheaper than buying 2 pcs.

Pretty much why I just use a single laptop
>>
>>52551665
Yes. It's horrible. You can't into gaming on laptop unless you're a girl.
>>
I bought a late 2013 Retina macbook pro.

Ever since I got it I gradually used my desktop less and less. I don't even own it anymore. The only computer I have is my macbook and an eeepc 1000h netbook from like 2008 that's complete dogshit.
>>
>>52551665
With Razer core gamers may start doing this
>>
>>52555602
Forgot to mention, no regrets. I just play games on consoles now. Spending $350 and having a console for like 6 years play all the games coming out makes a lot more sense to me..
>>
>>52551665
>wanting a shit in comparison specced overheater as main machine
yeah, no
>>
>>52552086
>Hewlett Packard post twentieth century
>>
>>52555637

why buy a ps3 for $300 when you can buy a gaming pc for $3,000 ?
>>
Maybe soon you'll be able to get a usb3 dock for an external GPU linked up to your home monitor when you want to do intensive stuff. Non-ultralight laptops from good product lines have generally sufficient CPU power and cooling nowadays.
>>
File: exoxatptt8qckfc0rgkx.jpg (24KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
exoxatptt8qckfc0rgkx.jpg
24KB, 636x358px
>have surface pro
> during day when I leave for college and work I just take the tablet part for note taking and diaphrams and blueprints
> come home and plug in tablet to my keyboard dock
> use it to power my 27 inch monitor
> use stylus to draw and music software making annotations
> use it for khanacademy watching video on monitor while solving problems on surface
> when on business trips I take sp4 and it has all my work on it , have a nice battery pack that can power it for days.
Only think I hate about it are the godamn drivers, and that it's not USB type c which would make this complete and amazing. I'd buy the USB type c update to the surface line and I'd be set for years.
>>
>>52552351
My x201 is in the mail right now haha, be grateful ir's a nice little laptop
>>
I don't have a desktop right now, I got rid of mine when I moved and am waiting until I get my tax return to build a new one. I'm using an X201 with maxed out RAM and an SSD. I don't do anything on the regular that requires a more powerful computer than the X201. I'm mostly doing document creation in Word or working spreadsheets in Excel.

If I hadn't already invested in PC-only games that require a more powerful computer I'd probably not even bother building a new desktop.
>>
>>52555940
>diaphrams and blueprints
>diaphrams
>>
File: 1425237401821.jpg (63KB, 621x720px) Image search: [Google]
1425237401821.jpg
63KB, 621x720px
>>52556187
>he fell for the meme
>>
macbook pro + gtx 950/i3 rig

i steam stream games to my laptop

it's perf
>>
>>52551665
Sold my custom gaming rig for a cool $1200 and bought a refurbished Asus ROG 751 for $1150, added an ssd and never looked back! It's a big honkin laptop, but it plays real nice and is just as powerful as my old machine. I lost my multi monitor setup, but I want to go to (at least) a single 2k/144hz anyway so it was worth it to be rid of all that extra gear.
>>
File: dsc00754_y1y5.jpg (3MB, 4912x3264px) Image search: [Google]
dsc00754_y1y5.jpg
3MB, 4912x3264px
>>52551665
Go for the kill OP.
>>
Gifted a laptop that I'm using as a main machine for the past 5 years, working just fine for productivity, emulators, light gaming, and other general fuckery
Once external GPUs become a thing I'd just switch to a nice TB3 laptop as a main machine for college and dock it at home for gaming.
>>
>>52551665
I switched to a laptop in 2007. As long as you get a reasonably performant machine, it works fine. I do programming professionally on it, handles everything probably 10% worse than a desktop, so basically not noticeable, and I can pick it up and take it to work, and it's dead silent most of the time. Would recommend.
>>
>>52555843
One of the major features of Skylake for laptops is to make GPU docks mainstream, pretty much removing any remaining reason to own a desktop
>>
File: 1450397124505.jpg (42KB, 300x217px) Image search: [Google]
1450397124505.jpg
42KB, 300x217px
>gigabit to gigabit ethernet connection from my laptop to desktop
>streaming vidya from the desktop
>>
>>52557884
I do the same thing, I'm considering putting my tower in a closet somewhere because it's become a headless server for gaming
>>
My only computer is a librebooted ThinkPad X200 and I do not intend on upgrading until it becomes absolutely necessary.
>>
Works great, X200 with SSD and a docking station to connect all the shit to
>>
Once I stopped gaming and became a big boy, I realized that I didn't need a lot of power. I just use a dock and take my x230 to work/uni and dock it in again at home. You don't have to bother with file synchronization, switching cables and whatnot. I've got a console if I ever feel the need to game, but that is quite rare.
>>
>>52552393
I'm thinking of a similar setup with X220. Are there no heading problems when you try to run so many monitors?
>>
>>52557904
only thing I haven't figured out is I can't stream from the pc without a monitor connected to it or steam asks me to unlock the desktop if I previously logged in via remote desktop

any suggestions?
>>
File: 1340649752735.png (112KB, 463x301px) Image search: [Google]
1340649752735.png
112KB, 463x301px
>>52551665
>not having both a notebook and desktop
>>
>>52558083
>"b-but I need a desktop for muh vidya gaems!!!"
>>
I'm 26 and I've never owned a desktop in my life.

I am not a manchild who plays video games or thinks he's going to get rich mining buttcoins, so a laptop has always been fine.
>>
>>52557989
I'm pretty sure the X220 does not support more than 2 monitors, with the T series it depends on the built in graphics
>>
File: 1426037411823.jpg (70KB, 810x780px) Image search: [Google]
1426037411823.jpg
70KB, 810x780px
>>52558149
Nice assumption, but sadly incorrect. I rarely play games, and if I do, I have about 10 consoles to choose from.
>>
>>52558051
I haven't run into that issue. I never login via remote desktop so maybe that's got something to do with it. I just wait until the computer boots, steam auto-starts and streaming becomes available - I have auto-login enabled, so it doesn't get stuck at the Login screen. Perhaps try VNC instead of Windows Remote Desktop?
>>
>>52551665
i use lappies exclusively never had a desktop
but all i do is web browsing and some light gaming
>>
>>52551665
Im too poor for a proper desktop, the only thing I miss about them is muh games. Everything else can be done on a laptop.
>>
>>52551837
other than video games and long simulations, there is absolutely no advantage of desktop (I have a desktop for electromagnetics simulations)
>>
>>52558180
So what you're saying is you are a hoarder.
>>
>>52558696
A bit, but still reasonably selective. I could buy up everything I find, but I don't really see the point in owning the same system 3 times.
>>
File: dell-inspiron-15-7000-w-g02.jpg (123KB, 775x500px) Image search: [Google]
dell-inspiron-15-7000-w-g02.jpg
123KB, 775x500px
i use this laptop for main use. My desktop is more than 1800 miles away from me.

The laptop is nice, though the graphics performance is lackluster but the most graphically intense game I play these days is Space Engineers.
>>
I fantasize about this sometimes. I spent all day at my desktop. I enjoy it. Two monitors, typing on my comfy pok3r, etc. Something about just living a minimal life with a ThinkPad sounds really nice, though. I'm not sure which one I'd pick. I definitely appreciate the power of my T420 with nvs 4200m, but my X200T is way more comfy and has a better screen.
>>
>>52551665
ditched an old amd desktop build for a rMBP 15.

never going back. i wish i was trolling
>>
>>52552155
>but "I need to close this program because I need more RAM" is not a thought I ever like having.
I went from a Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM to an i3 with 16GB of RAM

I'll never forget the magical feeling of no longer having to worry about how many programs I have running at once. I remember I used to have to shut my web browser and many other things before opening a game. I was also very used to nothing running well. These days I've become spoiled and get irritated at any sort of hiccup or slowdown.
>>
>>52552351
when I saw there were four replies to this I was expecting people to judge you for taking your laptop in the bathroom
>>
>>52552364
>it's cool and all but sometimes when i'm bored i do miss playing games and shit
find something fun that isn't intensive
>old text-based games that can run in your terminal
>tetrisfriends.com
>10fastfingers.com
(not really a game but typing tests are fun)
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (230KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
230KB, 1920x1080px
How about try again /g/
>>
>>52553481
That's not entirely the reason. They're very solid machines. I don't even know many people with coreboot or libreboot setup.
>>
>>52555843
>USB 3 GPU
No, I don't think so. Thunderbolt 3 will take us there, though, and lucky for us you can get Thunderbolt 3 in USB C flavors so it might actually take off.
>>
>>52556431
I'd like to see more laptops get thicker again. Mechanical keyboards in a laptop is actually a pretty sweet idea, although the one in your pic is ugly as fuck of course. What's the smooth top part for again? I think it opens up but what's under there?

The ugly lights and logos plastered all over it make everything worse.
>>
>>52558886
meant X220T, not X200T
>>
>>52551665
Are you all too autistic to do both? Shit I own a desktop and 3 laptops.
>>52558928
The idea is nice but they're charging you through the nose for a chassic and technology chinas been making since 8 years ago
>>
>>52558971
>Are you all too autistic to do both? Shit I own a desktop and 3 laptops.
No, that's not really the point of the thread. I'm in the same boat as you in that regard. It's about people getting rid of what they don't need/want anymore and how their life has been since doing so.
>>
>>52556372
Your rig is so crap that your MacBook could nearly outperform it
>>
>>52551665
I've used the same "gaming" laptop for ~7 years. It's not worth it.
>>
File: 1448683151506.jpg (23KB, 598x399px) Image search: [Google]
1448683151506.jpg
23KB, 598x399px
I wanna get a laptop, but not replace it for my desktop completely. You can never get the same level of performance for the price.
>>
>>52552899
If you don't need 3 screens (only exception is tiling VMs and the like) you are the cancer that is killing g.
>>
>>52551665
Changed to laptop since Y2K. I use/d Adobe and Macromedia programs. Haven't touched a desktop since. Paired the laptop with an external monitor for comfy work.
>>
>>52558051
You can leave remote desktop and transfer control back to the local console by running a script:

C:\Windows\System32\tscon.exe RDP-Tcp#1 /dest:console 
C:\Windows\System32\tscon.exe RDP-Tcp#2 /dest:console
C:\Windows\System32\tscon.exe RDP-Tcp#3 /dest:console
C:\Windows\System32\tscon.exe RDP-Tcp#4 /dest:console
C:\Windows\System32\tscon.exe RDP-Tcp#5 /dest:console
C:\Windows\System32\tscon.exe RDP-Tcp#6 /dest:console

into a batch file, run it as administrator from within your remote desktop session, you'll be disconnected and display will return to the remote machine and will remain unlocked.
>>
I used a 17" laptop as my portable desktop from around 2006, it was some tricked-out business notebook, and lasted me a good 6 years.
That was a period in my life when I had to have a portable computer with me, but if you have a choice about it, I wouldn't recommend it.
Build an ITX system, or if you don't care about space, a regular full tower. You'll be spending twice the cash on something much slower than any desktop, while also being at the mercy of the OEM to update your drivers.
>>
>>52552238
This, I did it out of need.
>>
>>52552238
This, workstations are a waste of money. Just get a cheap netbook and ssh into your desktop for heavy lifting.
>>
>>52559260
Don't. I brought a 16gig ram 5th gen I7 with a 850 nvidia card.

Is tempered by the outside heat, this produces over working fan.

the laptop then becomes very hot, when working any hard load.

My advice to you is to expect shit performance with any "high" quality laptop. This compared to towers will never be as fast as my no graphic card tower. I am not sure why laptop motherboards are designed to produce shit performance when compared to towers with the same hardware specs.
>>
IS THERE A DOCKING STATION FOR THE X1CARBON?
>>
>>52555940
That's exactly what I want from a Surface Pro and a computer in general.

I held off because no thunderbolt means I still have to keep my desktop. But soon.
>>
>>52559690
Yea I can agree with that. They usually always get freaking hot, even if they have good cooling. I think I'm just gonna get an iPad Mini 4 and kinda use that as a laptop. Well not really, but it's still portable and can do what I would do with a laptop anyways.
>>
>>52558928
>muh vidya gayms
>>
File: 1448548631767.jpg (18KB, 236x305px) Image search: [Google]
1448548631767.jpg
18KB, 236x305px
>>52552298
>if it overheats just shuts down

Oh, last time I checked having a computer shut down and loosing all your work wasn't a good thing...
>>
>>52551665
Why not both?
>>
>>52559821
>not saving before you shut down
are you retarded?
>>
>>52551665
I replaced my desktop with my laptop. My laptop is leaning on the back of my external monitor.
Much less heat produced.
>>
>>52560425
>implying that never happened to you
>>
>>52552238
>some gaymer from /v/ is more /g/ than rms

Whatever you say la famille
>>
>>52551665
Years ago I bought a T500, it was my main desktop and laptop.
It was not bad, but I bought it with a P8600 processor which was severely underpowered.

Otherwise it was a top laptop.
It still works, I still use it.

Now I have an ASUS ROG.
It's good, it's strong, it's powerful.

+ Laptops can now substitute desktop
See: ROG GX700, Sager/Origin laptops
+ Laptops have proper cooling
- Same specs will cost you more, but you pay for portability.

Again, you can just buy a thin ass laptop (X220?) and use RDP + Kimsufi servers.
Or something like that. 0 CPU load, 100% performance.
(Yeah, don't do this with a satellite internet.)
>>
>>52552238
>low performance

It comes with a desktop 4770K.
> inb4 thats "low perf"

Implying a poor person can afford a top-tier desktop i7 anyway.

That's bullshit. Only Dell XPS and MSI/cheapo chink laptops overheat.

>one or two hdds max

I have a simple 17 inch with 3HDDs + M2.

>no PCI

Who uses that? For what purpose?

>small screen

17-19-21 inch.
I would not call that small.
But you can just hook up a display anyway.

Welp, more displays are actually bad for productivity. One big ass screen = best.
>>
>>52551665
Yeah, got an acer aspire V nitro autism edition.

>I just still use my desktop 100% of the time.
>>
>>52551665
>moved to the middle of nowhere
>power is occasionally spotty, turns off for a few seconds maybe 4-5 times a week
>get worried about hardware health
>consider getting UPS for desktop
>realize i never play games anymore
>thinkpad t430 with a dock with about 5 hours of power for the same price as a shitty 7-minute UPS
if you don't care about games it's perfectly fine
when eGPU's are more common i don't see why you'd have a desktop unless you're doing high load work all day
>>
>>52551665
goddam thats sexxy
>>
>>52558948
like 4 m.2 slots, two 980m in sli, a desktop cpu and a few large heat sinks.
>>
I have a laptop for programming, shitposting, browsing and animu.
If I need to do some heavy computing I'll use my server.
>>
File: jfxf7wa8npwfvqzq5ns8.jpg (888KB, 3189x2132px) Image search: [Google]
jfxf7wa8npwfvqzq5ns8.jpg
888KB, 3189x2132px
>>52558948
>>
I've been using laptops exclusively for over 15 years.
>>
>>52551665
x220 with i5
dual fullHD monitors
works well for me, my desktop was old as fuck, and I don't play games anymore.
>>
I used to consider it. However, I came to realize as a student whenever I had to use my "work" laptop at home that laptops are sub optimal in many ways, including noise, performance, and in my case I hated having a small screen.

That said,I ordered a chink windows tablet with a core M to replace my laptop, I guess I'll see how that turns out.
>>
File: 14498586781372.jpg (285KB, 768x943px) Image search: [Google]
14498586781372.jpg
285KB, 768x943px
>>52551665
I've used only laptops since 2004. My first was a$2,000 Dell "desktop replacement" Inspiring 9100 that was huge with three fans that often malfunctioned and ran at 100% and made lots of fucking noise.

Now, I use a Lenovo S431 ultrabook that is super light and thin and I love it.

I've run a second monitor with both and I'm considering buying a Lenovo OneLink dock soon, but $100 is pricey.

I don't play any intensive games, so I've been just fine. Can't beat portability. However, I'm mostly on my phone now, so even my laptop gets rarely used.
>>
>>52563134
I really like how accessible everything is.
Why can't all laptops be like that?
>>
File: crying-bear[1].gif (54KB, 361x365px) Image search: [Google]
crying-bear[1].gif
54KB, 361x365px
>>52563134
she's beautiful
>>
File: 12857657653.png (261KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
12857657653.png
261KB, 500x340px
Using a Dell E7250 for Lightroom, light gayming, watching Chinese cartoons, shitposting, etc.

Using a ThinkPad T42 with an stock battery+ultrabay battery for taking notes in class, the keyboard feels wonderful. Lasts about 5 hours on a full charge, enough for two lectures.

I really like the simple, utilitrian no-frills designs for business laptops.
>>
i have and have not seen any major issues. all the games i play are not very intensive, so my t420 can handle it. it also plays all the vids i want. for more intensive work, i suppose a desktop will become necessary. but for just putzing around and using ms office, a laptop is just fine.
>>
>>52559778
I've got an Air 2 which I use in conjunction with my t450 and desktop, just remember that any web browsing on the iPad will be hell.
>>
Literally the only reason to have desktops are for work. And my work already has one.

So why the fuck would I have a desktop at home.

Video games are for kids btw.
>>
>>52558928
>dual core mobile cpu
That is going to be ridiculously overpriced and will bottleneck the shit out of any gpu
>>
Is a T61 worth it today?
>>
Currently using a HP Elitebook 8470p with a dock and 2 1080p external displays over DisplayPort, works great for me.
The i5-3350M is enough power, and 8GB of RAM is all I need for now. Got a 120GB SSD in it too, so it's not slow.
It's great as an actual laptop too, decent battery life.
All I do is shitpost and code, so it's fine for those.
2bh pham if you're not gaming you don't need a high-power desktop, as a laptop will do pretty much everything you need, unless you're an idiot who buys a cheap new laptop with a Celeron and 2GB of RAM.
>>
I use a dock with laptop. It has a mobile i7 and 8GB of RAM that runs along fairly well. The dock has a 1080p monitor, mouse, keyboard, and speakers connected to it. It actually works pretty well to be honest. The one problem is it can't play games. I have a separate custom built computer I basically only run steam big picture on with my TV for games. I use the laptop and dock mainly for productivity.

Adding some sort of PCI-E connectivity to the dock for dedicated graphics would be nice, but in reality we should just be moving to smaller and more powerful components for our mobile devices. My dream to see during my lifetime is to be able to carry a phone around that docks to my monitor, keyboard, and mouse when I need productivity and that I can dock to my TV when I want to play games. Basically a more advanced form of Continuum Windows Phone has right now with obviously more powerful hardware. We shouldn't need more than one device.
>>
>>52551665
i haven't used a desktop for 5 years

fgm
>>
It's a pain deciding what to get as my main now that I'm ditching desktop. I wonder I should get 14inch models or 15.6 if they're the only computer I'll have
>>
File: IMG_3710.jpg (208KB, 1402x935px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3710.jpg
208KB, 1402x935px
>>52563527
>>52563465
bottom side
>>
>>52551665
Yes, I share a house with others and simply dont have room (or need) for desktop. I have an external monitor and keyboard when at home.
>>
>>52563762
worth ~$50
>>
>>52564112
is there even a battery on this monstrosity?
>>
>>52564173
ayyy yup. it's an 8 cell 75.24Wh affair that lasts about 2 hours under light load. but it does come with a massive 330 watt power supply.
>>
>>52564259
>hours
>light load

Jesus.

I have a G55 that gets about 4 hours under "light" load and it has the same rated battery.
>>
>>52564112
How's the airflow on this beast?
>>
>>52564432
yeah but if you're buying something this retarded you're not doing it to lug the 13 pound thing around, you're doing it to show all your friends how cool you are and that you can waste money better.
>>
I actually use ultrabook which has i3 8gbram and 120gb ssd. Its more then fine 3 pound(1kg) and very good performance for what i need. Coding browsing 4chan hd movies without problems. i dont need 3dmax or something so its very good for me.

for games i have ps4 anyway.
>>
>>52551665
>has anyone here ditched his desktop for a notebook
When i was at university.
>how is it working for you?
I learned that laptops aren't made for heavy duty work.
>>
>>52564595
it intakes from the bottom fine. it runs hot under load, gpu's at 65-75 cpu at 70 - 80.
>>
>>52564699
it's also loud as all hell with fans on max
>>
>>52564112
Dat SLI bridge.
>>
>>52551665
Why would you use inferior mobile technology in a setting where you can have a full desktop setup in comfort, multiple monitors, proper audio, good input devices....
>>
>>52552899
I have 3 for maximum shitposting efficiency
Also because I can run 3 different games at the same time, and for running 3 eve clients
>>
>>52558051
I can't remember the name, but there is certain software that can emulate a display
Or you can nigger rig a null connector
>>
Just did the completely opposite.
Sold the fucking laptop and got a great mini-itx.
Gonna get something like a chromebook later on, though.
>>
>>52551665
I swapped my desktop for a laptop last year and It's ace!
Way more power efficient, portable, and quieter.
The only reason I'm considering building a desktop again is so I can play games at high settings on my 4k monitor but considering how rarely I game and the fact I can get >60 fps on high settings at 1440p there isn't a lot of point!
>>
>>52551665
Havent owned a desktop for at least 8 years now. I am happy with my life.
>>
File: 1452315238402.jpg (231KB, 988x802px) Image search: [Google]
1452315238402.jpg
231KB, 988x802px
>>52561378
>only chink laptops overheat
Is apple a chink company now?
>>
>>52555637
If that works for you, then that's cool... but that's a fallacy man.

The important part of a gaming PC is the GPU. You can still use that computer for whatever and have it be your main computer. $350 will get you through the roughly the same amount of time as a consoles service life at the same or better performance.

What you've REALLY done is spend $1000 or whatever on a computer and $350 on a console when you could have just built a sensible gaming PC for $1000 and done your mobile computing on a tablet that I know you already have because you're a gaynigger.
>>
>>52551665
I've been using a notebook almost exclusively for about two and a half years, and while I do plan to build a PC in the next few months, it's been entirely ok. Minus the heat it generates I can't actually complain about it apart from weak graphics performance but I solved that by building a thunderbolt eGPU and I couldn't be happier.
>>
I've been seriously considering it now that more Laptops are coming with Thunderbolt 3. That Razer Blade is tempting.
>>
File: hYlCBIyl.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
hYlCBIyl.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>52566867
yes
>>
>>52551665
Gonna buy razer stealth blade and razer core.
>>
>>52553819
>neet-onomics

get a job
Thread posts: 151
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.