[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you really need a high capacity SSD?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: slant.jpg (65KB, 620x336px) Image search: [Google]
slant.jpg
65KB, 620x336px
Hey guys. I'd really like to know if a high capacity SSD is really all that necessary. I put my operating system on my old Intel 160GB SSD, and the things like games and torrents, I store on two other hard drives. So, what do you think?
>>
You have to have one for general storage and backup. Once you do, you will never go back
>>
>>52541729

Its more than enough for an os.

I have a 256Gb Samsung 950 pro in the m.2 drive, it has my os and a fair few games on it.

I use my 500gb SSD for storage
>>
No one "needs" anything, but putting your OS and your two favorite games on an SSD is what most people consider reasonable because it's not ridiculously expensive

Sounds like that's what you want to do so go do it
>>
>>52541729
then you don't need a high capacity ssd.
It is definitely a good idea to torrent on an external mechanical disk but if you install everything on it then you also lose some of the performances boost you could get by using an ssd
>>
It's only good if:
a) you have the money
b) you have a reg high cap HDD for all other shit
c) you install your OP on it
>>
depends on what you do.
If you use windows you need a lot of space for the OS alone.
If not, then you need to think about the amount of files / size of the software you need
>>
I bought a 250GB 850 EVO SSD and cloned my Windows installation from a 1TB HDD into it (in the process somehow fucking up my efi partition). I only use it for games, so 250GB is enough (even though I had to uninstall a few that I didn't play anymore).
Then I installed Arch through Architect Linux installer. When I realized Gnome was broken because lolarch I installed Fedora. So I have a good OS for work, browsing and media, and a shit OS for gaming. This is the next step from the regular "SSD for games and programs, HDD for files", instead of just splitting a single installation, realize that the only thing Windows is better at is gaming, and use Linux for the rest.
My next step will be to give SFTP access to my music folder from my server to Windows so I can listen to dadrock while I play CSGO.
>>
>>52541729
>>52541753

These are my favorite threads on /g/. The 'I'm 22 and have no real experience PLUS I still live with mommy. Also, I do this thing, using these specific parameters so it's IMPOSSIBLE that anyone else does anything different. Why does the industry even MAKE shit that doesn't fit into my narrow little perspective and how can anyone possibly do things that I don't"

And you get to choose the topic. Today, storage space. I mean, no one could possibly need more then 160GB on your old Intel SSD. I've been saying that shit for years.
>>
>>52541801
Anon are you retarded? He just explained his setup, he didn't say you couldn't use a 2GB magnetic tape as your storage.
>>
>>52541801
Geez man, that's not what I meant.
>>
>>52541801
What a sperg.

>>52541729
My 250gb evo with win10 is doing okay, though I should have waited for Christmas and then I could've bought a 500gb for only $40 more.

I put my media on a 1tb HDD and have my old win7 OS still installed on a 500gb in case windows 10 corrupts itself again
>>
>>52541729
i've got two 500gb samsung evos. the second samsung came with the new assassins creed which i was going to buy anyway. so that was pretty awesome. also have 1, 1tb hgst IT SPINNS?! drive for backup. when i need more space i'll buy another samsung cause i dgaf. i'm not even a richfag. its just not that hard to save up a little for something that is superior. when i notice i'm creeping up on my limit, i'll have long since put away money just for a new ssd. always got to keep an eye out for a promo too.
>>
>>52541937

>assassins creed

I got that deal too, but you had so sign up for a new type of steam/origin they're trying to launch, so I didn't bother
>>
>>52541729
I'm a content creator, so I actually find my 1TB boot HDD to only just cut it for my needs, if I ever get an SSD it'll pretty much have to be 1TB too so that I won't have to micro-manage my storage all the time.
>>
Mostly for the noise factor tb͏h
>>
>>52542127

yep:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WbYjwP
>>
>>52542080
>1TB of programs

What do you have installed? I have the whole adobe master edition, some heavy GIS stuff and a bunch of autocad stuff on my 128GB drive
>>
File: Windows-10-spying.png (41KB, 470x256px) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-spying.png
41KB, 470x256px
>>52541884
>with win10
>>
>>52542212
Probably a game engine/content platform like UE4.
>>
~depends
i use linux and i try to practice minimalism, so my os is only about 2gb and my files are ~20gb, so i back them all up on a 32gb usb and use a 300gb hdd

if i ever get an ssd, it will be 60gb so that i dont fill it up with worthless games and go back into that stupid gaming habit
>>
>>52542324
Programs with large content libraries and video projects also do a number on drive space, and if you have a load of RAM, then the page file eats a chunk too. It's certainly not unreasonable, if you work with 4K video in particular.
>>
>>52542359
How miserable are you right now on a scale of 10 to 10?
>>
I am building my new NVIDIA pc with a i7 CPU an GTX Titan X ram 32GB and 2 2TB HDD and 2 500 SDD all watercooled the way it's meant to play.
>>
I personally think that SSD's are great, but just far too expensive for every-day, high capacity storage. I have a 120GB Samsung 840 with just my OS and programs on it. Everything else goes on my 2TB HDD.

I'll only go full SSD when 1TB versions dont cost nearly 10x the price of HDD's.
>>
>>52542411
Yeah, then you have scratch disks and temp space and all your raw data. When I convert high res raw files to TIFF intermediaries as part of my workflow I easily hit a few hundred gigs per project. I also do all kinds of random projects, like right now I'm working on big data extraction from a popular social website. I have 1.1TB of comments as plain txt.. Then there are VMs.. GIS.. NASA data.. Point clouds.. I could find a use for 500TB+ easily.
>>
>>52542480
how difficult is it to set up two storage devices. do I need to mess with raid or anything or just plug and play
>>
Remember that because of the limited writes a high capacity SSD will last longer.

The writes can be spread more thinly over the blocks over time.
>>
>>52542512
I'd love to have NASA's highest res map of the moon. It's a few hundred TB though..
>>
I just bought a document scanner to digitize my papers. I store them as 600 DPI TIFF because of reasons. 100MB per A4 page.
>>
>>52541729
In my main PC I've had a 64GB SSD for OS and a 256GB SSD for games for ages. Recently I've bought a 1TB SSD since I was sick of moving games from the SSD to HDD all the time when I wasn't playing them all that much anymore.

Also for my server I recently got a 1TB SSD since my VMs became too big for the 250GB SSD they were on.
500GB would have been fine but I bought a 1TB SSD that acts as SLC drive until 500GB is used. It was a noticeable increase in speed.
>>
I have a 1tb ssd which serves as my boot drive, and steam drive.
It's not enough for media storage though, so I'm currently torn between getting a decent hdd for my desktop or building a NAS so I can get at my media from all my devices
>>
>>52542516
Nope. Install your OS of choice onto your SSD, then plug in your other storage device.

If you want to merge two SSD's to become one big storage unit, then yes you will have to mess around with raid settings. Other than that, it really is the case of plug n' play.
>>
>>52542557
I digitize artworks and the smaller paper-based ones go straight on the scanner, 600ppi 16-bit scans and 50 images are already 10GB of data. Just one such folder of the many that I have. Of course, they eventually migrate to storage and backups, but for a while you actually need the free space for all that while working on it.
>>
>>52542652
I do to. High ppi, 16bit/chanel + infrared, lossless, full platen = 1.8GB TIFF/Raw files. I usually do raw + a 50% jpg + log, so it totals around 2GB/scan. Thanks, VueScan..
>>
Just wait another 6 months and 1TB SSD will fall to ~$150
>>
>>52543045
In another 6 months we'll have another one of these threads justifying the use of 2~4TB SSDs. It'll never end.
>>
I have a 120GB SSD for my OS, but a standard HD for all storage/content. I don't know at the moment if I will want to drop the money for a high capacity drive, performance has been just fine for me since my main programs are on the SSD and games/movies/music/etc are on the HD.
>>
>>52541729
do what you want mate, I have a 256 for OS and got myself a 1Tb to handle games, downloaded crap and some music.

Also I have a 500Gb HDD with some stuff I rarely use.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-21-09-36-33.png (121KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-21-09-36-33.png
121KB, 540x960px
>>52543045
This. You can already get a ~1TB SSD for $250. That price is only going to keep falling especially for black friday.
>>
>>52543356
>Sandisk
I like their SD/CF cards, but how's the SDDs?
>>
>>52543397
Their SSDs seem to be good, probably less than 5K write endurance for the prices they offer them at but they should still have more than 20+ years of life for a typical user who doesn't write much on them.

Pic I posted has a write speed of 500MB/s, read of 550MB/s. It's an SSD I would buy if the price dropped to around $150.
>>
File: YgjNYzD.png (24KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
YgjNYzD.png
24KB, 625x626px
>>52542450
>>
>>52543532
Even IF you wrote 100gb of shit each day, you'd still get over 20 years of life on that 1tb ssd. It's a known fact that ssds 1tb and above are extremely hard to kill. Which is why servers use them.
>>
>>52541729
For general desktop use? Not really. I have Arch and OpenBSD each on separate 120gb SSDs. More correctly, I have /boot, /, /usr and /usr/local on the SSDs. /swap, /var and /home go on HDDs, and /tmp goes in tmpfs. /boot is only 512mb, / and /usr are 15gb, and /usr/local takes 30gb. Even that's probably overkill, not counting the other 60gb unused space. If you only have a single SSD and no HDD for your system, higher capacity SSDs would be worth it I guess, but with a separate HDD it's unnecessary.
>>
>>52541729
>Do you really need a high capacity
well meme'd, friend
>>
>>52544012
Well you don't need it but c'mon, if 1tb ssds dropped to 100 bucks a piece you'd get one wouldn't you?
>>
>>52544111
I already have over 1TB in SSDs so, no.
>>
>>52541729
Well you certainly don't need it but it's always better to use a SSD. Mechanical hard drives are prone to fail inexplicably at any time due to the fact that they have moving parts. To kill a 1TB ssd, you'd have to write 1tb of data to them per day for 10 years straight. Even then v-nand type 1TB SSDs would still be able to keep going past those 10 years like some kind of fucking gods.
>>
>>52541729
Yes, I listen to a lot of speed metal and I can't go back to listening to it from a HDD, it sounds too slow.
>>
>>52543532
>tfw i got a 1 tb ssd for 200 buckaroos
bow down to me you fucking skrubs
>>
I never fill any of my SSDs to its full capacity.
At most, they're at 75% capacity.
Almost 2TB of SSD storage, only 1.6TB used.
>>
I mean, you're supposed to put your system and software on it.

You don't put music/pictures or whatever sensitive data you have on them.
>>
>>52545271
Why the fuck not? SSDs will outlive you and have 4+ years of data retention with the power off at room temperature. That's all after the fact that they are very durable and rarely spontaneously fail at all.
>>
>>52541801

Look son, that's an autist.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.