[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Your first home built computer and a story
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
The first computer I built after lurking /g/ was back in December 2007.

I built it around an AMD Athlon X2 4400+ processor (codename: Brisbane). Asus motherboard, WD blue hard drives, corsair RAM and Thermaltake PSU, and a Lian Li simple black case.

I loved that computer, it was the first one I built by myself, and I browsed /g/ with it, and played all kinds of steam games.

It is now 2016, and I have relocated to Brisbane, Australia a few years ago. Today I just realised what the processor was called. When I bought the CPU I had never heard of Brisbane. I think it's prophetic, or at least poetic.
>>
>>52541436
Thanks for letting us read you're blog OP.
We have many feels over your lack of geographical knowlege.
>>
>>52541436
To sum up my first building process:
Thermal paste. Everywhere.
>>
i stupidly got a small case with awful options for cable management. and i had a gtx 460 or someshit which i'm pretty sure i was memed into buying from 4chan, since the card was an overheating piece of shit.
>>
Built it a week ago, it turns on for 3 seconds and shuts down.
>>
>>52541494
i was rebuilding my mothers Facebook machine yesterday with new PSU and Motherboard. It was starting and switching off instantly. Turns out I connected USB 2.0 to Com port or something.
>>
>>52541457
r8 comment subscribe
>>
>>52541436
oh and btw shit thread
>>
>>52541494
congratulations, you're retarded. read the fucking manual, and *crucial* follow the instructions
>>
>>52541574
the party's just getting started. unless...

you've never built a computer before, have you anon?
>>
>>52541597
>wewlad.dll
>>
I actually got my first home built pc only 6 months ago
I've built pc's for other people for years but I always just got some cheap old pc's which I didnt have to build for myself from family and friends or would use a laptop.

Also, sage
>>
>>52541436
my first build was a horrible povertyrig i bought sometime in 2007.

iirc it was
sempron 2800+ 1,6ghz
256mb ddr1
radeon 9250
seagate 20gb, and some shitty plastic case
i was a macfag who have ppc imac g4 and ibook g4 (daddy's bought it for me) and completely blind about PCs guts. yes it was in 2007, and i paid 250$ for a 2004 low end machine, because the chinese guy who sell it to me actively promotes it price and if i said "i want a core2duo based PC" the guy offer me the brochure for the most expensive 2500$ built
>>
>>52541436
>December 2007

Same

>>52541436
>AMD Athlon X2 4400+ processor (codename: Brisbane).

I built mine in Brisbane, but was a Q6600 build.

Q6600
8800GT
4GB RAM
EVGA Mobo
WD 500gb HDD
Thermaltake PSU

I built it with this case because Alienware was cool amirite?
>>
cont>>52541768
it runs winxp like shitsnail and makes me wonder if i did the right thing by migrating to windows. not after my tech savvy senpai told me that i got duped. he brings me to some online shop (amazon was it?) and showing me that he could build that 2500$ machine for 600$
and for 250$ he can built a dual core pentiums with 1gb ddr2 that obviously much faster than the shitbox that i got.
>>
>>52541779
ah yeah, i had 2gb of DDR2, a 320 WD Blue sata though (wew sata), as well as a collection of ide drive i had accumulated over the years, ran xp on it.

That Q6600 was a beast though, could probably still be a decent machine with the right os, hey?
>>
File: 20160115_182306.jpg (4 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
20160115_182306.jpg
4 MB, 3984x2988
Well, I just built it a few weeks ago off of Christmas money and a bonus check so...
>be me
>go on /g/ with my PCpartbuiler for weeks asking if it's good and what changes to make
>ask my IRC buddies if it's all oodles
>finally pull the trigger and order all of it at once
>"your credit card has been declined"
>Fuck
>call them and say yes it's me buying all of this shit, it's okay
>go back through and fill everything out and repick all the parts
>order
$1800 later
>go off on a pheasant hunt, get many birds and have a great time
>come back to a case, the HDDs, the SDDs, and the mouse.
>few days later the CPU comes a day early
>....
>go check the Newegg package order
>Reported lost and damaged on December 23rd, it's now January 2nd
>REEEE
>$800 lost by UPS
>file claim with Newegg myself, they expedite the order and give me a free warranty on an item I bought (placed it on the pcs R390
>few days later everything arrives and I begin to build
>follow install gentoo instructions and the instruction manuals in the boxes
>takes me about 8 hours total before I am happy with it
>plug it in
>*push*
>wirrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>IT'S ALLLIIIIVVVEEEE
Sweet
>install mint just until I install wangblows for Muh gaymes
>okay
>move computer to new house
>plug it all in and hook it up (pic related)
>wirrrrrrrr
>plug monitor in
>No signal
>...
>...
>FUCK
>work for a frustrating hour try and figure out what is wrong
>replace HDMI cord, it werks... Wtf
>Oh well, now to try and install wangblows 7
>try and use my old CD key
>doesn't work
>download a clean torrent from somewhere else (windows requires a cd key for 7)
>try and launch it into a USB
>plug it in, get to launcher,
>"drivers not found"
>spend entire day trying to install to find out that you can't install windows 7 with USB 3.0s
>give up and install 10
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QrPU5_lBWX4
Fuck you Bill
>everything going fine
>play some heavier load games like Arma 3, Squad, and Space Engineers
>Crash after crash after crash
1/2
>>
>>52543090
>see the whole "skymeme crash" thing and install prime 95, and torture test my CPU for 6 hours
>nothing
>install RAMtest and test for 10 hours
>nothing
>everything is perfectly fine
>reboot
>crashes instantly
>MEMORY_ERROR
>k
>install the drivers and everything from windows to fix it
>haven't had time to test if it's better
2\2
>>
I blew my first PSU on the first day because it was set on 110V and I live in a civilized nation.
>>
04 or 05

P4 2.8GHz
9800 Pro 128MB
1GB RAM
80GB HDD
Gaudy lime green Raidmax with edgy etched window and mass amounts of blue lighting.
Worked all summer doing landscaping/irrigation and spent a grand on the parts from newegg using my mom's CC. Honestly don't remember why it finally died and got replaced, but it played A LOT of CS1.6 and BF1942 + DC
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
Thread DB ID: 449285

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.