[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

e-ink e-readers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: 1445373305000_1179696.jpg (66KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1445373305000_1179696.jpg
66KB, 500x500px
Is there a "thinkpad of e-readers" out there? Meaning a cheap but high quality solution for a very nice e-reader?

I'm shopping for one for reading textbooks and manga on, but there are so many models that I don't know which to choose from. All I know is I want to be able to use SD storage in addition to no DRM and good battery life... What models should I choose between?
>>
>>52539288
Second-hand Kindle DX is a good budget option, though no backlight is pretty annoying
>>
>>52539418
Kindles typically don't have any external storage options though, do they?

I guess if it has enough storage on it it doesn't matter as long as your computer is nearby, but even so manga can get pretty big, right?

Lighting would be a good feature too...
>>
File: Kobo_size-compare_LoveHina.jpg (60KB, 1024x552px) Image search: [Google]
Kobo_size-compare_LoveHina.jpg
60KB, 1024x552px
>>52539288
Probably the Kobo Aura HD or H2O, unless there's something affordable over 7" that I don't know about. Supports cbr/cbz, so you can just rename a manga's zip/rar file extension and it'll open.

<-- Size comparison of 6", 7", and a manga volume.
>>
>>52539495
How good does manga look on it?

I wonder if second hand models are hard to come by
>>
>>52539288
There isn't. Normalfags prefer tablets, so e-readers are pretty much dead.
There isn't a single e-reader with decent specs, a screen bigger than the average phablet (every time I see a 6" kindle my eyes hurt), decent backlight and a good OS on it.
Kobo Aura H2O is not that bad, but still too small for many things.
I've been watching the Icarus Illumina XL but the resolution is horseshit.
>>
in for advice. Was thinking about the h20 but it seem pretty expensive for the hardware you're getting.
>>
>>52539943
thats disappointing.
>>52540197
also seems the h20 doesnt have expandable storage unless Im missing something
>>
>>52539288
> manga
Quite many have color. That's a case for a regular tablet display rather than some e-ink e-reader.
>>
>>52539288
E-Readers with E-Ink displays were always a good idea but market demand by the mainstream buyer ruined it. 6-6.8 inch displays are great for lugging around in a jacket pocket when you want to read a cliché detective novel but they are completely worthless for academic papers, lecture slides, PDFs or technical documentation, even most manga.

I only remember Amazon offering an A4-sized model with no WiFi which they never updated. Sony also offered a concept with a pen but the notes were stored as .jpgs overlayed on the documents.

I only wish there existed an android-based large e-reader with a rudimentary digitizer with exportable notes.
>>
>>52540556
> I only wish there existed an android-based large e-reader with a rudimentary digitizer with exportable notes.
And you get almost that, they're just regular 12" tablets.

Quite a few PDFs and technical documentation that you might use as a qualified expert these days use color in diagrams and markup anyways, and colored e-ink never really took off, so having a regular color display is better when you really want to work with that anyways.
>>
>>52539288
kindle paperwhite owner here, I love it. It's amazing to read with, I could use it for hours and some days I do. From not reading nearly my whole life to having read 6 books in the last 6 months has been an amazing investment for me.

I seriously can't convey how great of a purchase it was. Definitely recommend. Take a look at EEVBlog/youtube where he does a teardown of it and the build quality is remarkable.

The only downsides are that the 3rd gen came out like a month after I bought mine had I known I'd have waited out.

I don't like touch screen e-readers for page turns as Id prefer to put my thumb in the center of the device for a more comfortable/convenient grip without changing pages. Also I only found out recently that kobo has a waterproof variant in their line which would be ideal for reading in the bath etc. (no homo)

Comics are good with it but I find that PDFs with small texts are extremely difficult to read and I won't even attempt some of them. The larger text ones are fine and the images are great with a good pixel density.

However I would love to have a secondary e-reader for textbooks. Like the sony one I think it's in the OP picture.
>>
I have a Kobo Glo HD that I'm pretty pleased with.
I have some small issues with it though:
- No external SD slot (not really a downside as you can open it up and replace the internal SD card with a bigger one).
- When I put the lighting to 1-8% it faintly but visibly flickers. Probably due to the PWM and the leds not being able to cope with it. May be able to "fix" this if I could solder an additional resistor between it somewhere.
1% is still a bit bright in complete darkness.
- Potential for pinholes in the light dispersion layer, giving bright dots (screen is still perfectly fine though).

6" is absolutely fine for reading normal books though, and I really like the high resolution screen. Text is really crisp. Haven't yet tried reading manga on it though, I imagine it may be a bit too small for that to read comfortably.
>>
Oh and I (>>52540640) am just as pleased with it as >>52540630
I got it early this month and am already on my 4th book. It's 100% non-straining on the eyes and I can read for hours.
>>
>>52540624
>And you get almost that, they're just regular 12" tablets.
Tablets, however, lack the one crucial thing that draws us to e-readers: E-Ink or a similar readability-focused reflective display technology. I don't read books on my laptop or phone because I cannot stand staring at what is effectively a lamp for hours on end.

Not to mention that tablets in general provide little use above consumption and that their meagre battery life pales in comparison with the weeks of use you can get from E-Ink.
>>
>>52540630
I think the general consensus on the ideal e reader would be;
>A4
>lag free digitizer input

Is that too much to ask for!

But clearly there would be minimal market share for this as only students and business people would be using it. Hardly a reader suited to novels thus less likely to generate e-book sales. I think that the kindle is sold at a loss to gain market penetration because $230 for kindle and cover is pretty good value.
>>
>>52539288
Surface pro 4

Not cheap but if you want ereader and laptop function..
>>
I want something like a surface pro but with eink display. Too bad the tech isn't really there. Or maybe it is and it's a niche that no one has filled. Oh well.

>dat high dpi
>dat digitizer
>actually compatible with popular software
>>
>>52540675
> E-Ink or a similar readability-focused reflective display technology.
Backlit displays with pretty good whites and blacks offer high contrast and readability.

> because I cannot stand staring at what is effectively a lamp for hours on end.
I'm using displays day in day out anyways and they work fine for reading as far as I'm concerned. Even right now. Can't really see the problem.

> Not to mention that tablets in general provide little use above consumption
They do have their uses, though they're kinda redundant with smartphones.

That said, e-Ink readers offer even less use even *for* consumption, and really nothing beyond it.

> and that their meagre battery life pales in comparison with the weeks of use you can get from E-Ink
It still days of typical use. If you're using this professionally for academic work or educating yourself while on the go or whatever, you'll just deal with it. All it ultimately requires is carrying a few grams extra and plugging the device in once every 1-3 days or whatever.

Or you can use a hip wireless charger with some, I guess, but I think that's pretty silly.
>>
>>52540707
Pretty useless since e-ink is way too slow for using a general OS and programs.
>>
>>52540556
>Sony also offered a concept with a pen but the notes were stored as .jpgs overlayed on the documents.

It seems stupid to me, I'm pretty sure that ebooks are stored as XML files and surely there's languages that could manipulate the data efficiently and effectively for our desired purpose what would you guys suggest as a more suitable solution.
>>
>>52540729
>Too bad the tech isn't really there
It's certainly usable, just not ideal. I'm basing this off the anecdotal experience from my 5 year old ereader.
>>
>>52540707
>I want something like a surface pro but with eink display. Too bad the tech isn't really there. Or maybe it is and it's a niche that no one has filled. Oh well.

Of fucking course the tech is already there. You just stated it in the question, e readers have the display and we have digitizers it's just a matter of combining them effectively. But there's a very small market share it would probably be more feasible to make your own. Tailored to your needs and personality. Like a lightsaber to a jedi is a geek to his e-reader.
>>
>>52540781
The screen is in many ways a downgrade.
>>
>>52540781
The problem is that eink displays have very poor display properties that something like a surface pro would rely on. It would work fine, but it would not be ideal.

The mouse lag alone pains me to think about.
>>
>>52540729
>Pretty useless since e-ink is way too slow for using a general OS and programs.
What's really frustrating is that hybrid technologies which combine high refresh rates and reflective displays already exist but not one OEM has seriously considered them. The two most prominent were Mirasol and Pixel Qi. Both have a reflective LCD technology that reflects ambient light and sunlight to mimic E-Ink but with customary LCD fidelity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y21xHGrecMk

>>52540747
>>Sony also offered a concept with a pen but the notes were stored as .jpgs overlayed on the documents.
>It seems stupid to me, I'm pretty sure that ebooks are stored as XML files and surely there's languages that could manipulate the data efficiently and effectively for our desired purpose what would you guys suggest as a more suitable solution.
I made it through university with notes on the open source Xournal pdf annotator and a Wacom tablet. The annotations themselves were compressed XML files with line coordinates and text. Once done with annotations you could merge the annotations with the source PDF, which was then readable in every PDF reader. I really wish there was an Android port of Xournal.
>>
How does a 10" black and white textbook read on an e-reader? I have a collection of language learning books that I want to have on the go.

The general concensus is that manga and textbooks suck on these things though..?

I'm eyeing the Icarus Illumina HD at the moment ( dont know if there is a better model for cheaper).
>>
>>52540847
>I really wish there was an Android port of Xournal.

We could work on an opensource project for it.

Also what did you study for at Uni?
>>
Kobo Aura H2O is the best consumer e-reader. There is a newly released Sony e-reader but it's expensive and not really available for consumers.

The only problem you're going to have with the Kobo is that it tends to go into a bootloop whenever you sideload/sideoffload large amounts of files.
>>
>>52540894
> How does a 10" black and white textbook read on an e-reader?
Depends on the format, can be annoying on a typical 7" - ish reader.

The B&W part itself will usually be fine unless it has diagrams that are were expected to be displayed on higher resolution displays.

> The general concensus is that manga and textbooks suck on these things though..?
For manga it's almost a consensus, yes.

For textbooks, people's experiences are varied, but I'd also say that sucks myself, yep.

Had way too many with color annotation / illustrations and what not.
>>
jetBook color 2
>>
>>52541099
This looks nice, but >$500 usd

Fuck no. I'd like to have smaller one like 8.4'' and noncolor.
>>
>>52541176
Cheapest you'll get at technical document size is Icarus eXcel.
>>
>>52540937
>We could work on
I'll redesign the logo!
>>
>>52541099
http://the-digital-reader.com/2013/03/16/the-jetbook-color-2-shows-why-color-e-ink-screens-are-a-dead-end/

Unless you can get one under $100, I do not think this is at all satisfactory. Get a tablet instead.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-21_13-16-33.png (128KB, 1366x738px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-21_13-16-33.png
128KB, 1366x738px
>>52540937
>We could work on an opensource project for it.
>Also what did you study for at Uni?
Sadly, I'm an Econ major or else I'd have started doing that already. For reference, this is how note-taking looks like on Xournal.
>>
>>52541284
If you're not opposed to using windows, OneNote is significantly better than xournal. Windows handles wacom pens a lot better than linux does so that alone was worth it to me. Also the OCR is pretty nice as it works both on handwriting and any images / screen clips

I used OneNote on a fujitsu t2010 and hp 2740p all through college so far
>>
>>52541284
Sadly? lol I thought econ would be great. The things I learnt in HS econ have been great for my business (opportunity cost, supply demand, vertical integration etc.)

But its probably more macro econ now huh. What are some good econ textbooks btw if you dont mind me asking.
>>
>>52541212
I don't get a 9.7" colour eReader for the whites; I get it because I have to work with documents that make extensive use of colours.

But I totally see where you're coming from and I cannot recommend colour screens for hobby reading. Or 9.7" screens for that matter. I also have a Paperwhite and I prefer to read on it when I'm not doing work.
>>
File: Untitled.png (139KB, 816x1239px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
139KB, 816x1239px
>>52542136
>What are some good econ textbooks btw if you dont mind me asking.
Not him, but this is a good place to start.

It's the only text book that I paid (after I learned I could torrent them) for that did I did not purchase for the stupid online code.
>>
>>52541212
>Author's response to comments
What a short-sighted ass.
>>
>>52542230
Thanks mate.

Yeah, i thought econ was only useful for economists but now I realise it's essential in the business world. Literally like having a real life cheat book.

Do you have a list? Sorry Ive been looking for one but all i get are econ for babies, autobiographies and self help books.
>>
irex iliad is the thinkpad of e-readers.

heavy, battery life is shit, stupid ports that you don't need, etc
>>
>>52542334
No, sorry. This is the book that was recommended by the instructor for the class and there weren't any other recommendations nor did I think to ask.

It's a good starting point though because at least it's free (or at least it was and I still have all the pdfs).
>>
>>52540728
>'m using displays day in day out anyways and they work fine for reading as far as I'm concerned. Even right now. Can't really see the problem.
Try reading from a display outside on a bright day and you'll very quickly start appreciating e-ink.
>>
>>52542422
No real problem. Modern smartphones and tablets have screens with glare-reducing coatings and high contrast ratios.

Just don't buy the crappiest regular screen device imaginable and it'll work.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.