[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is satellite internet so slow? i have a 600ms ping avg and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

why is satellite internet so slow? i have a 600ms ping avg and during games (lol, WOW, Gw2) the ping is always above 1000 is there anyway to fix this? my download speed is 20mb and upload is 2mb/s

Hughesnet my provider says i should be able to play these games fine and with a 200ms ping

am i being fooled /g/?
>>
20mbits down and 2 up is fine for satellite
>>
>>52534487
but i cant play any moba or mmo games becuase of the high ping could it be that i just got a faulty modem?
>>
>>52534455
>200 ms
Fuark dude thats bad even by australian standards.
>>
>>52534499
do you understand the logistics of sending data into fucking space and having it come back down? pick up a fucking physics book
>>
>>52534499
nope, satellite internet is just shit with response time, once you get a stream is fine, such as TCP.
But for UDP, which games use, satellite is dog shit.

Here is more info on how it works:
http://www.vsat-systems.com/Education/Satellite-Internet-Explained/Performance/Protocols-and-applications/
>>
>>52534499
Read up on the difference between latency and bandwidth.
>>
Look into wISPs in your area anon.
>>
>>52534455
Wtf, where are those this is not your personal shit posts. I don't even know why I'm still in this board full of yahoo answers.
Go back to school, you all dumb fucks.
>>
I was told by tech support that i could play the games without the lag and i was wondering why i was having such high pings

>>52534557
is there a way to convert it to tcp?

also will making my satallite a cantenna work?
>>
File: 5015270088.png (32KB, 300x135px) Image search: [Google]
5015270088.png
32KB, 300x135px
be happy with what you have
>>
>>52535298
You have no idea what you're talking about.

>>52534542 is 100% right, it's not as easy as you would thing to bounce your signal into fucking space and back, it takes time in transmission. That's different from a bandwidth issue, and what >>52534557 is saying is that it takes a while for a signal to get sent, but if you are receiving a constant stream of information, it will go at a reasonable speed.

The problem is the medium, you are bouncing your media through the atmosphere, and that takes more time than sending it through nice, clean, straight fiber optic cables.

Regardless of how much data you are receiving per second, which can be completely reasonable, the fact is that that data was sent almost a half second ago.

Satellite internet is bad for gaming, and that's a sad fact.
If you live where you can't get a fiber or even copper connection, you'll just have to deal with that.
>>
>>52535298
dude it just wont work with satellite internet. youre literally limited by the speed of light. it takes a certain amount of time for the packets to leave your pc, go to the dish, go through the atmosphere, get processed by the satellite, fetch packet requests from the satellite to the ground, fetch packets from the source to the ground station, packets go back up to the satellite, then back down to you.

every time you make a request. you wont be able to play any latency demanding game on satellite internet due to straight up physics.
>>
>>52537089
> satellite internet
>literally limited by the speed of light
>literally
>speed of light
>satellite
are you high or dumb?
>>
>>52539431
nice meme arrows
>>
>>52539525
>
>
>
>
>
have fun with them
>>
>>52539431
do you even into physics?
>>
Don't use satellite internet then.
>>
>>52534455
Can you do a speedtest?
>>
>>52536654
How the fuck is this even possible? I feel for you anon
>>
Satellite Internet has high latency. There is nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>52536654
Holy shit, is that even legal? Around here that would be like not having basic sanitation, health services, or something.

Think about it, you're one step away from not even pooing in the loo.
>>
>>52534455
>satellite internet
>what is physics
are you really this retarded?
>>
>>52534455
even wifi is fucking shit when you play online games... satellite.. jesus christ....
>>
>>52539431
Radio signals, which is whats used to transmit info to and from the satellite is simply another frequency of the electromagnetic spectrum that forms light too, and it can only go so fast.
>>
Stop being a fucking hermit and just invite some friends over if you want to play games.
How hard is it?
>>
File: wp_ss_20160121_0002.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160121_0002.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
Jesus Christ how horrifying
>>
>Hughsnet

Your provider is lying.
Your Satalite is 3 seconds away...
Every request is 3+3 6 seconds. Did you know there is a proxy server up there with 44Mb of cache? Usless for gaming, but it will load a home page in 3 seconds... unless it does not fit in the proxy or someone else is using it...
>>
>>52534455
Satellite internet is inherently slow. Realize that your signal goes from your dish to a satellite in geostationary orbit and back to earth. No matter the bandwidth, the latency will always be shit.
>>
>>52539431
Communications satellites orbits at around 22,000 miles above the earth. That's a round trip of 44,000 miles. Let's assume that once the satellite receives your signal, it will instantaneously transmit a signal back to you (it won't irl, this takes hundreds of milliseconds). AT MINIMUM- you are looking at a delay of AT LEAST 223 milliseconds.
>>
>>52539660
>>52539857
>implying radio signals travel by the speed of light
do YOU into physics?
>>
>>52534455
They are lying to you. Satellite transmission adds a minimum of 480ms latency to your transmission(tcp), thats just a signal traveling to the satellite and back, allow for slow satellite hardware/router, packet traveling time from isp to remote server and back and you have your 1 second ping
>>
File: beito.png (239KB, 700x518px) Image search: [Google]
beito.png
239KB, 700x518px
>>52540480
>radio signals don't travel at the speed of light
>>
I have a macbook air, and I want to know if there is a way to disable the keyboard and mousepad? I'm running a bot in class, but I cannot go away from my laptop without anyone in my class fucking everything up. The only option I know of is to log out but that turns the bot off :/ anyone know how I can lock/temporarily turn off my keyboard/mousepad?
>>
>>52540661
no rly. if radio signals would be as fast as light, we wouldn't need fiber optic... just use radio signals
>>
>>52540661
They're actually slightly slower in anything that isn't a vacuum, but usually very close to c anyway. There are some materials that slow down light a lot but the atmosphere is definitely not made of those.
>>
>>52540661
Only in a vacuum right?
>>
>>52540696
You are a retard.
>>
>>52540696
Light is even slower in most fibers because of their refractive index. They can pack lots of bandwidth with predictable latencies and so on because they provide a more controlled environment for transmission, not having to share one medium with all other signals out there.
>>
>>52540696
Radio signals, like visible light, are electromagnetic waves, carried by excitations in the EM field known as 'photons'. Retard translation: Radio is the exact same thing as Light.

>>52540703
>>52540712
Yes, the speed of light in any medium is very slightly to very much slower than the speed of light in a vacuum.
>>
>>52540703
Radio signals are light. They literally go at the speed of light. Because they are light.
>>
>>52540780
What kind of ghetto high school did you go to?
>>
>>52540780
in most scenarios radio signals can be somewhat faster (latency related, same speed ofc) than if fiber optics were used instead, since radio signals between tx and rx travel in a straight line (with attenuation ofc) and fiber optics cable usually has to "make some turns" for the same path
>>
>>52540792
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum#Radio_frequency

One better than the one you went to apparently.
>>
ITT: Retards can't into 5th grade physics.
>>
>>52540842
You should watch people argue about hashing vs encryption
>>
>>52540696
Bandwidth
>>
>200ms ping
>playable
I get annoyed when my ping gets above 50ms in games and it's usually about 10-20ms. Move to a different area, OP.
>>
>>52540807
That article and the ones it links to are full of generalizations that only hold true in ideal environments.
>>
>>52540882
What in the actual fuck is this even supposed to mean?

Radio = Light
>>
File: I WANT TO FUCK THAT RABBIT.png (114KB, 213x213px) Image search: [Google]
I WANT TO FUCK THAT RABBIT.png
114KB, 213x213px
>>52540882
>The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation
>Classically, electromagnetic radiation consists of electromagnetic waves, which are synchronized oscillations of electric and magnetic fields that propagate at the speed of light through a vacuum.

Are you perhaps an idiot?
>>
>>52540694
hows middle school treating you besides the bullying?
>>
>>52540932
Do we live in a vacuum?
>>
>>52540694
Lock the screen. Google it.
>>
>>52540952
The speed of light is not always equal to C.
>>
>>52540952
Are you unwilling to understand, or are you incapable of understanding? Radio, like light, is an EM wave. Both are affected by the media they travel through, so they go slightly slower than the speed of light IN A VACUUM. They're still traveling at the speed of light for that medium.
>>
>>52536654
do you pay for that shit?
>>
>>52540991
Hey, I was the first one here who brought up the actual speed of light being lower than its vacuum speed in physical media. Before even considering understanding, let's worry first about willingness to read.
>>
>>52540932
light is waves.
radio is waves.
so light is radio.
>>
>>52534455
200 ping is pretty shit tho
>>
>>52541038
Please refer to >>52540967
>>
>>52541038 This is me: >>52540748
>>
>>52541055
You may refer to >>52540703

I don't need Young & Freedman to remind me that the refractive index is C/v .
>>
>>52541098
I think I know what happened: We got confused over whoever posted >>52540480
>>
>>52541098
The post you were replying to said that radio signals travel at the speed of light. You then go on to say that "[Light] is slightly slower [than the speed of light]. You then mention C which is the speed of light in a vacuum, but light does not always move at C. So again, please refer to >>52540967 and try again.
>>
>>52541131
Ah, I see. I'll admit I was distracted by the 2D.
>>
>2010+6
>Still using satellite internet
>Literally living in a fucking mountain
>>
>>52541131
Top-notch explanation anon, I was indeed talking about the speed of light, NOT C.

>>52541177
"let's worry first about willingness to read" - anon, 2016
>>
>>52541223
I swear I didn't really get to the will check before I failed the willie one.
>>
>>52539431
Radio is light dumbass
Think before you post
>>
>>52540880
200ms on sattelite connections is a best case scenario
>>
>>52539805
Not OP because I actually understand how satellite works. I never have an issue playing over WiFi, but it is fucking crazy how IFS works over WLAN, and how collisions can occur over WiFi so CMSA/CA has to be used.

Sorry - I was reading into WLAN recently and found it all fascinating.
>>
>>52541203
The download and upload isn't that bad desu. Who cares if he can't play MMOs maybe that means he should just stop playing games
>>
File: Where_s_Reddit2.jpg (2MB, 2304x1504px) Image search: [Google]
Where_s_Reddit2.jpg
2MB, 2304x1504px
>>52539525
Hello [spoiler]R____t[/spoiler]
>>
>>52541041
dogs are animals.
cats are animals.
so dogs are cats.
>>
>why is my internet so slow

Has an ISP that requires sending packets to motherfucking space...
>>
>>52534455
>satellite internet
>bad ping

jeez willy I wonder why
>>
>>52541670
Csma/ca is built into the wifi standard. You cant turn it on/off

Just like csma/cd with ethernet
>>
have some respect kid, that signal has to make 4 times the distance between earth and the geostationary orbit (35.000 km ca) and it only takes half of a second, even if it's not suitable for gayming it's still pretty impressive that we shoot a giant piece of iron in the fucking sky just so you can download all of your meme
>>
https://zoompf.com/blog/2011/12/i-dont-care-how-big-yours-is
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.