[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/, Looking for a wireless router to meet my needs. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: Asus.png (190KB, 725x300px) Image search: [Google]
Asus.png
190KB, 725x300px
Hi /g/,

Looking for a wireless router to meet my needs. I'm moving into a new house that's 6,500sqft and I have already had the cable guy run the coaxial almost to the exact center of the house.

Problem I have is finding a powerful router (I have a home office that I work out of at night) that can handle multiple laptops/tablets/smart house systems. I need a system that can reach all ends of the house since I don't want to run wires to each point of interest.

So far I've only been able to find this pigfag router but nobody has really tested these Triband tank routers in the kinds of conditions I'm going to be using them (I guess since they are still new).

What is your guy's opinion?

TL;DR I need a wifi router that can reach everywhere in a 6,500sqft home.

I'm looking to spend around $400-$600
>>
>>52528602
Buy 6 of them op. Just to be sure
>>
>>52528693
Seriously I cant find anything about the range of the router
>>
Why not just get a bunch of WiFi extenders or repeaters?
>>
>>52528602
Router isnt the only determination of the range. What are your walls made of? What devices will you use? (Communication is two way, even if the device can hear the router, the router might not hear the device) sounds like youre not gonna get away with a single router though, its a limitation of wifi technology. If you insist on wifi, a few access points might be the way to go. Other then that, cables.
>>
Just buy a box of repeaters.
>>
>>52528602
just get a ton of them and put them all over the house.
maxmium wifi range.
with enough of them you can have wifi 6 blocks away.
>>
Just get 20 ddwrt capable routers and strew them around the house randomly.
>>
>>52528896
>>52528881
I think I might have to put in one AP near my master bedroom, but I wanted the triband since most extenders use either the 2.4 or 5ghz frequency to receive and than the other to broadcast. Will be nice to have a dedicated 5ghz line for the extender.

Walls are made out of wood, and thankfully the house is 2 stories split into 5K down and 1.5K upstairs so the house isn't completely sprawling.

But I was wanting to know the limitations on the range for the new super routers like the one in my original post. I have 300Mb/s down and 25Mb/s up and I want to keep at least half when over 45ft away (master bedroom is 55ft away from modem).

>>52528947
bunch of robot spiders all throughout the house? Will give the kids nightmares.
>>
>>52528987
Seems pretty good.
Don't forget to check if you have appliances that might interfere with your home network.
Also try to check if you have neighbours flooding the WiFi channels. There's some pretty good Android apps that do a decent job at this.
>>
>>52529082
Neighbors aren't a problem. My lot is .75 acres and my house is dead center. Plus that really only affects the 2.4ghz band. I'll still check with the android app.

I just hate that there's no literature on range for most routers. I'm heading to frys later but I know they're not going to be helpful in the slightest. First thing they always do is grab the box and try to read it themselves in front of you.
>>
>>52528602
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12K-008X-00026&cm_re=switch-_-12K-008X-00026-_-Product
And
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ED-0005-00019&cm_re=unifi-_-0ED-0005-00019-_-Product

This is the only acceptable answer 2bh fami
>>
>>52529149
>I just hate that there's no literature on range for most routers
I agree. You might want to check out some of the user reviews at Amazon or Newegg (American version), they give a lot of insight.

If I were you I'd just contact a networking friend or something, the price/performance ratio on these consumer high-end networking solutions aren't all that great.

Enterprise-level networking solutions might just be the thing if you're serious about it.
>>
>>52529216
Actually. For the second one, get this. Much better.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ED-0005-00048
>>
>>52529298
Bro, that doesn't have any crazy antennas or anything. Pass.

>>52529243
I'll just buy one, test it and return it and buy the other. See which is better.

>Enterprise level solution
No thank you. Wires running everything with AP's sprawled along my ceiling.
>>
>>52529366
Alright then. Good luck with the purchase.
I'm sure it'll be fine. If you have an issue with WiFi range you can always just add supplementary devices anyways. I usually just buy Powerline if I'm too lazy to setup ethernet cables around the house anyways.
>>
>>52529366
>offers a wireless operation range of up to 122m (400ft)
That has a radius of 400ft. That's 500,000 square feet. Get two and your entire block would be covered 2bh. And if you're good at it, the wires wouldn't even be noticeable. Get something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6RP3AY0172&cm_re=adhesive_cable_clips-_-9SIA6RP3AY0172-_-Product
>>
>>52528602

>Looking for a wireless router to meet my needs. I'm moving into a new house that's 6,500sqft and I have already had the cable guy run the coaxial almost to the exact center of the house.

Yeah, what you should have done was have Cat6 run to every possible room in the house, multiple locations in them by preference. Even better if you can do open conduit runs.

This may still be feasible, or it may not. If you can do it, do it. It should be affordable and will certainly be worth it.

>TL;DR I need a wifi router that can reach everywhere in a 6,500sqft home.

I can't guarantee that with any single router that you can use at home.

Especially not a home I haven't seen. All it takes is one rack of metal somewhere and blam, signal is gone.

You want good equipment? Can be done. Though honestly, most people will be satisfied with TP-LInk or TrendNet easily enough over something like a Nighthawk or that beast. You want promises of performance? Not going to offer that to you when I can't be sure I'll deliver.
>>
>>52529900
I'm thinking about buying something like I posted in my OP and putting up Wireless AP to utilize the extra 5Ghz band to push signal to the bedroom.

The modem is almost in the exact center of the home on the second floor.
>>
>>52530012

>I'm thinking about buying something like I posted in my OP and putting up Wireless AP to utilize the extra 5Ghz band to push signal to the bedroom.

Yeah, I know. It can be done, if you need to do so, but will I recommend it to anyone? Nope.

I'll tell you that the first choice is running wires.

>The modem is almost in the exact center of the home on the second floor.

And while this is probably better than having it isolated in say, the garage, it may not be the ideal location for a variety of reasons. For example, if your kitchen is between you and where you want to work.
>>
>>52530336
No, second floor has an opera like walkway and the only thing in between the router and my office and bedroom is one wall and then the open living room area (living room is open up the full two stories and there's an indoor balcony to get to between second floor rooms) so no other issues.
>>
>>52530729

Well, if you have a large open space that's multiple levels, I might suggest putting a AP on it somewhere, even a PLNA might be good enough in that situation, depending on your wiring.
>>
>>52530881
I think what I'm going to do is put the router on the 2nd floor where the modem is, dead center in the house, and put the AP near the bedroom in the routers Line of Sight.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.