[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The learning problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: muumi.png (112KB, 561x600px) Image search: [Google]
muumi.png
112KB, 561x600px
Native English speakers will never know the pain

I'm a Finnish person and while fluent in English, I'm facing a unique problem with learning C++. The guides online and the best books are all in English. To get the cutting-edge information, I have to essentially "learn in English"
However, for one, Bjarne Stroustrup's "C++ programming" has been translated to Finnish, but it's from 2005. Not a big deal I guess, and understanding the concepts in my own language is probably easier BUT I'm polluting my mind with the Finnish terminology.

Non-natives, any tips? Pick one? Read both?

pic unrelated
>>
That's what you get for not being born in the U.S.

(also disregard old translated version, pick up the latest copy in English)
>>
Stick to English. It may be difficult now but you'll be glad you did it later. I was in the same situation as you (my native language is Spanish).

My clients almost always speak English.
All the good forums are in English.

It's the language of business in my opinion. Good luck, OP. I wish you the best.
>>
>>52522321
Aren't the Finns supposed to be coding wizards?
>>
You'll only hinder your learning if you try using Finnish materials.
>OOP = olio-ohjelmointi
>Object = olio
>Array = taulukko
>Compile = kääntää

You will only be confusing yourself. Don't do it.
>>
>>52522321
Weird. English isn't my mother tongue either but I find studying tech related things in anything other than english super awkward.
Stick to english imo.
>>
most of programming is just basic problem solving.
>>
>>52522321
As a finn i can say that this a real struggle
>>
>>52522398
>>52522397
>>52522368
>>52522337
Thanks for the input.
I guess taking some more time to read materials in a language not native to me is better than reading material in my own language and although learning, ultimately confusing me in the long run.
>>
>>52522321
You know Finnish, English cannot be that hard to understand.
>>
Is is true that Finns daily take sauna with hot naked white Finn girls and women?
>>
>>52522448
Good.

It's very normal to learn in a non native language. People, throughout history, often did so. Because it's always the learned who are able, and willing, to pick up a new language in order to learn more.

In the 20th and 19th century all of Europe learned German to study German engineering, philosophy and science. Before that it was French. Before that, it was Latin.
Now it's English.

Some Dutch geographer would go to Norway and talk to Norwegian geographers in German, now they do that in English.
>>
>>52522321
op can you explain your image? what is mummit and muumi
>>
>>52522321
Just learn ... how to learn in English. The Finnish vocabulary for programming and computer stuff is awkward as hell and you're really gimping yourself if you have to constantly translate terms in your head.

>>52522461
>You know Finnish, English cannot be that hard to understand.
The languages are completely different; even Japanese or something is closer to Finnish desu. It's still pretty easy to learn English while growing up if you just pay attention, though. Only children's cartoons are dubbed here and vidya gaems are usually not translated at all. No idea how OP didn't manage that.
>>
File: real muumi.jpg (24KB, 561x600px) Image search: [Google]
real muumi.jpg
24KB, 561x600px
>>52522461
It's not. But learning something in another language is more difficult than learning that thing in your own language.

>>52522487
yes

>>52522521
The yellow character is "le finnish man", a /pol/ -meme. While Finns consider themselves white, people mock us by saying we're mongols. Le finnish man is the manifestation of these mongols. Le finnish man is often seen boasting about great Finnish things, like mämmi, sauna, kossu, nokia, angry birds etc. In that image he's talking about "Muumi" which is the world-famous character created by Finnish Tove Jansson.
>>
>>52522487
Usually. For example there are no women in my household. But that's good as they would just slow us down.
>>
>>52522583
>Le finnish man is often seen boasting about great Finnish things, like mämmi, sauna, kossu, nokia, angry birds etc

kek. You do have a sauna in your apartment right?
>>
>>52522667
more than 95 of Finns do. As do I.
>>
>>52522321
Russian here.
Learn in English. No other choice.

You want to be exposed to the largest community of programmers, which is English-speaking community. If there is an answer to your problem, it will be in English.

If you have to interact with programmers of your nationality, learn your terms, but only after you're fluent with them in English.
>>
>>52522321
As a fellow Scandinavian (Norwegian) just learn it in English. You are finnish, likely all Your books in university are in English as well. You can learn finnish terminology when you get a job.
>>
>>52522505
>Some Dutch geographer would go to Norway and talk to Norwegian geographers in German, now they do that in English.

All my Grandfathers university books (he was a Medical doctor) was in German here in Norway. I also study in Norway and all my books are in English.
>>
>>52522321
Always learn in English.

t. hispanoablante
>>
this is why indians are retarded @ everything they 'do'
>>
At least you get spurdo memes :------DDDDD
>>
File: 1452289405928.jpg (663KB, 1650x786px) Image search: [Google]
1452289405928.jpg
663KB, 1650x786px
>>52522321
I have never read any documentation or tutorials in my native language
t. Dutchmen
>>
>>52522321
Bulgarian here. Just learn it all in English. I've been doing that for some time and pretty much everything I know about software is in English.
>>
>>52522321
I thought that finnish education system was top notch. Dont they teach english or what?
IMO stick with english you will have to learn it sooner or later.
>>
>>52524688
That's not the problem. I am very very good in English and so is the vast majority of Finns, but learning new things is always much easier if you study the learning materials in one's own language.
>>
>>52524688
>I thought that finnish education system was top notch. Dont they teach english or what?
It's highly egalitarian and clearly successful at driving up the median results but high level students capable of independent learning, etc. kind of suffer in the process. At best you're told to sit somewhere out of the way and continue reading yourself while the teacher handholds (or argues with) retards who have little use outside of manual labor. Or spare parts.

Also, mapping English to Finnish in your head can be quite complicated at times because the languages are so different.

>>52524778
Just get used to English. Once you're basically bilingual and don't have to mentally translate anything things get much easier.
>>
Finnfag here. I would go with the english version.
>>
>>52522321
>learning C++
>it's from 2005
They you're doing it wrong OP. TC++PL3 is definitely not for a beginner. PPP2 was published in 2014. And, while they're are not yet any translations into Finnish, it's still the correct place to start for a beginner learning C++. Good luck.
http://stroustrup.com/Programming/
>>
I'm from Spain but have been learning programming since childhood in English. When I got a programming job where I had to work with other people it felt soo wrong.

Just stick to English, there's plenty of material. Why would you want to mess up your terminology if you can manage in English?
>>
>>52522321
Use English. There simply isn't enough material for you to do it in Finnish. Nobody I know uses the Finnish terminology.
>>
>>52522321
>while fluent in English
You are not fluent if this is an issue.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.