[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I continue to upgrade my PC parts or buy/build a new one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: 11.jpg (17KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
17KB, 500x375px
Hey /g/, should I continue to upgrade my PC parts or buy/build a new one altogether? Currently i am not really having any problems with my PC. I can run graphics heavy game like Arma 3 on high (not ultra) and get ~35-40 fps. My concern is that my PC is somewhere around 6 years old and currently running Vista which seems to be on the borderline of a minimum requirement OS. Is it possible to theoretically keep a pc forever by just upgrading part by part? The next thing i want to upgrade is my GPU but im hoping i wont have any bottleneck issues in the near future.
Here are my specs: Manufacturer/Model: HP/p6130y OS: Wndows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 Processor: AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-core processor 2.40GHz RAM: 8GB Sys type: 64bit Current Video Card: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Video Card I plan to upgrade to: XFX AMD Radeon R9 380
>>
>>52518551
If you have to ask, then you don't need to upgrade.
>>
You're gaymer so the R9 390 isn't a bad choice.

But if you were more of a power-user with workstation interests, I would go for a mobo+processor re-haul first. An FX-8350+970chipset is dirt cheap nowadays; and would double your core-count.
>>
>>52518551
>AMD Phenom
>vista
these are the only issues I could see
other than this your system should be fine
only issue is with upgrading the CPU, you'd need a newer board with an AM3+/LGA 2011 socket
>>
>>52518551
who is this l33t hax0r
>>
>>52519393
You think its necessary to change the cpu at this moment? Will upgtading my GPU do any good or is the AMD Phenom bottlenecking?
>>
>>52519756
The Phenom will bottleneck not because its a phenom, but because your board won't support PCIe 3.1 as well as most other new techs. It also won't have the throughput to use a 390 to capacity.

If you have a budget, what is it? I say go all new as the HP you have is prebuilt meaning limited on upgrades.
>>
>>52519825
Budget when it comes to (building/buying) a whole new pc? Probably around 900$ max. Maybe 1K assuming i can sell most of my current parts for successful profits. Or do you think i should/could just transfer over all parts except maybe get a new CPU and probably a new cpu casing?
>>
>>52518551
My system is comparable and I've thought the same thing. Truth of the matter is that it still fits my needs and plays a ton of games just fine. As I get older I realize I have better things to worry about or spend money on.
>>
>>52519949
If you build new, build new. Is your RAM DDR2 or DDR3? For 1k, you can build a very solid PC (intel i5, 8-16gb ram, SSD, Midrange GPU).
>>
>>52519980
>As I get older I realize I have better things to worry about or spend money on.

you're legitimately pissing me off. Get the fuck out
>>
>>52520152
DDR2
>>
What's vista? There's only XP, 7, 8 and 10.
>>
>>52520234
IMO vista>Win8
>>
>>52520234
vista>Win8
>>
>>52518551
Then entire rig should be built around what resolution your monitor is and its target refresh rate.

You can't really build a decent rig until you give us these details.

Run speccy and post a screenshot
>>
My professor used this pic today in class.... ed?
>>
>>52520461
Whoa.. if u mean ed as in my name, you got that right.. What class is it??
>>
>>52520407
on it
>>
File: specs.jpg (95KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
specs.jpg
95KB, 1680x1050px
>>52520407
>>
File: specs2.jpg (114KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
specs2.jpg
114KB, 1680x1050px
>>52520407
>>
>>52518551
Message me on kik iranherover
Its important.
>>
>>52520855
just did.
>>
>>52520774
bump
>>
Sent ;)
>>
>>52521184
??
>>
File: 1451249730974.jpg (94KB, 700x507px) Image search: [Google]
1451249730974.jpg
94KB, 700x507px
>>52519825
>anything less than pcie 3.1 is a bottleneck
>>
>>52519825

>implying GPUs use all the bandwidth provided by PCI e

Rofl stop giving advice kiddo
>>
>>52518551
Op, upgrade to an i3 6100, r9 380x, and 8gb ddr4 ram. Your hdd and monitor can be reused, letting you fit an ssd into your budget.

Want me to get on pc parts picker for you and do a hypothetical build?
>>
>>52521268
>i3 6100
>going for shitty 2 core processor ($129) when he can spend $30 more ($159 fx8350) for 8 cores.

I smell a jew here.
>>
>>52521268
That would help tons. please do
>>
>>52521300
Unfortunately that i3 would outperform the 8 core fx processor thanks to having less than half the ipc and many games still limiting themselves to 4 threads.
The i3 will run cooler, consume less energy, perform better in some games, and since op has to buy new ram anyways, it has the advantage of being ddr4 instead of ddr3 on the fx.

>>52521304
I'm working on it :)
>>
>>52521300
yeah well if you're doing anything except fucking video rendering the i3 will out-ipc the FX by a large margin. Also, yeah ddr4, better for future upgrades.
>>
File: waa.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
waa.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>52521359

The fx8350 does open-world a lot better and has better core-to-price ratio. Also, you never go half-retard in upgrading. An i3? Might as well stick a dildo up your ass.

>ddr4meme
no game utilizes past 1866mhz anyway. Enjoy your shitty 16 latency, rajesh.
>>
>>52521421
What you're saying makes no sense.

The number of cores doesn't mean shit when each core is less than half as fast as the competition. Most games still won't use more than 2 or 4 threads. The fx 8350 is only better if op is doing rendering.

>>52521304
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CjMNK8

I tried to keep it close to 700 dollars. I could make it a little cheaper if you want but you'll lose performance. The i5 is a quad core.
>>
>>52521459
The number of cores makes sense when your literally getting higher FPS in high-poly levels.

>now recommending the i5-6500
rajesh, just admit you lost the argument. We don't have a death penalty for being wrong in america.
>>
>>52521500
Can we please be serious here? This is for op. I don't want him to waste his money.

More cores != better.
Ipc is more important.

How about you get on pc part picker and try building something for op?
Literally no point buying AMD now when zen is going to come out this year.
>>
>>52521459
The price is fine, im looking for a pc that can last years. My current power supply is around 600W, does that still need upgrading. Also, shouldnt i get Windows 10? or just do 8 and get the free upgrade..
>>
>>52521238
>>52521253

I didn't mean it specifically. Finish the sentence. It also includes DDR3, possibly better capacitors, a much faster experience in every regard. He may be at his SATA port limit as is. He also stated it is a prebuilt HP that has limited upgradeability. I'm sorry I did not go into more detail before.
>>
>>52521582
600w should be fine, but I'd recommend a new one since its aged a bit and it came with the pre-built?

For windows just go with whatever turns out cheaper, since the upgrade is free.

You can get a better i5 if you want, like the 6600, but in my opinion it won't really make much difference. If you want to overclock you'll need a new motherboard.

The 390 should also last quite some time since it has a lot of vram and is based on AMDs GCN architecture which will remain competitive for years thanks to its compute capabilities. Current Nvidia cards aren't really worth it, except for the 980 ti, but that's quite a bit more expensive.
>>
>>52521670
Alright cool, and nah i upgraded my power supply after my last one didnt have enough cooling and fried my old GPU.

A few remaining questions since im completely new to building pcs.

1. You said earlier i can keep my HDD but then put a SSD in the parts list. Arent PCs built with one or the other or do they work together?
2. When you say i need a new motherboard, is that referring to my current one, or the one you posted on the parts list?
3. Lastly, is the casing on the list sized to fit all the parts or will i have to do the measurements individually?
>>
>>52519949
Heres the build I suggest if you can get 1000 together. It will last you for years. Use the windows disk for the HP and the serial from the HP.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6zVzqs
>>
>>52521746
They work together.
Usually you'll get 240gb ssd and install windows on that. All your programs and games would typically be on the ssd.

Then you'd have a hdd, usually 1tb, that'll store all your videos, music, and other important data.

An ssd is just a hard drive that uses flash memory instead of a mechanical disk. The storage method is different but the interface between the drive and the pc is the same.

Also if it's your own psu then you can skip the one I included. I just did that build for reverence to give you an idea.
>>
Wait for the next gen Nvidia cards before you do anything, Pascal is going to be amazing because they'll finally start using that new ram that AMD faggots have been lording over everyone.
>>
>>52521755
I should do without the psu and network adaptor. Im wondering if the casing i have now will fit all that in?
Wdym by use the Windows disk and serial from HP? Like for my OS?
>>
>>52521821
Thats the competition for Zen right?
>>
>>52521806
So the SSD is just to open programs quicker ?
Hypothetically speaking if i were to get all those parts there would be no bottlenecking? If i were to upgrade to i7-4790 would that be worth it or is that going too far for the motherboard?
>>
>>52521915
Ssd is just to make windows and your programs load faster, but you'd be surprised at how much faster. I'm on an old crucial mx100 ssd and everything is loaded in 20 second after pressing the power button.

And since you'll be buying new ram anyways, I think you should stick to the Intel 6th gen processors, because they're ddr4.
I7 4790 is ddr3.

Another advantage of ddr4, other than the speed, is that it's still new and will be used for a while, like ddr3 was. When you upgrade you'll have the option reusing the ram so you can put more of your budget into the cpu or gpu.
>>
>>52522104
Ahh okay gotcha anyways thanks for the info man rlly helped an enormous shitton unit
>>
>>52521875
Pascal is competition for Polaris.
Zen is CPUs
>>
>>52522696
Literally no point buying AMD now. Even if zen won't be as good as skylake it'll still be much better than vishera.

I can't wait for zen, going to get a zen a8 when they come out. APUs should improve massively with the die shrink, better engineering, and ddr4.
>>
Computer of Theseus
>>
>>52519369
OP mentioned he plays arma. For the love of god don't get an FX processor, the single core performance is horrible. OP should get an I5 4460 or 4690K. I speak from experience, I am currently using a fx 8350
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.