[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Remember Windows Gadgets?
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: vistagadgets.png (441 KB, 975x1269) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
vistagadgets.png
441 KB, 975x1269
Microsoft killed off gadgets, a feature of Vista and 7 that had been prominently displayed in their ads, with no fanfare and no apologies. Now they've created 'Apps' in Windows 8 and 10. How long until they abandon these ecosystems and developers too?
>>
File: gadget security.png (428 KB, 1229x1518) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
gadget security.png
428 KB, 1229x1518
>>52518384
>>
>>52518384
Gadgets was a one of Microsofts many me-too wannabe efforts that was a rip off of OSX's Widgets, which was a rip off of Konfabulator, which was a rip off of the original Mac OS' Desk Accessories. (Someone want to trace it back further?)
Even OSX has since regulated Widgets to being a part of the notifications screen.
>>
Vista gadgets and Calendar were pretty good. I kinda want to use them in other systems.
>>
>>52518384
Gadgets were not a bad idea but really didn't add all that much to the experience and opened themselves up to security risks.

The tiles are a lot better compromise in all honesty.
>>
>>52518384
>gadgets
>an ecosystem of developers
Holy shit are you grasping at straws.
>>
File: gadgetscontext.png (32 KB, 372x366) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
gadgetscontext.png
32 KB, 372x366
>>52518758
>MS Shill

Have you clicked the context menu on Windows 7 and clicked 'gadgets'? Previously it brought up the gadget marketplace. Now it takes you to essentially a 404 page on microsoft.com saying you 'gadgets are a security hole so fuck you'.
>>
Notes/Calander were very useful although I'm sure there's better alternatives out there and I can live without them.

Remember the windows 7 and Vista theme packs for windows xp that also added those gadgets using rainmeter? die in a fire. those were bad times
>>
i use this thing. works fine under win10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/178869/how-to-add-gadgets-back-to-windows-8.1/
>>
File: tilestilestiles.jpg (30 KB, 263x400) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
tilestilestiles.jpg
30 KB, 263x400
>>52519248
Honestly what's the point of a weather widget when you have a weather tile?
>>
>>52518571
It's pretty similar to ActiveDesktop.
>>
File: ssss.png (134 KB, 143x1159) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ssss.png
134 KB, 143x1159
i like gadgets.
i really dont use them anymore.
but addgadgets.com + AIDA64's gadget + some russian weather gadget was great
>>
>>52520999
active desktop should have been developed further. i feel like there was a lot potential that was missed out on.

could have replaced/customized icons, start menu, etc.
>>
I don't remember any of the widgets available being useful like ever.
Not even in OS X (I have a MBP and a PC), widgets belong on phones
>>
Rainmeter exists.
/thread
>>
>>52521047
Is that your desktop gadgets ? Win or Linux?
>>
>>52518571
>Konfabulator
Holy shit, someone on /g/ remembers Konfabulator.

It's kinda sad that both Kaleidoscope and Konfabulator went the way of the dodo... especially Kaleidoscope. I wonder what Arlo and Greg are up to these days.
>>
>>52521412
windows
>>
>>52521566
Are the pictured gadgets same as mentioned in post text?
>>
>>52521660
yes.
1st 3 are from addgadget website
4th is from AIDA64
5th is from weathercenter.narod2.ru
>>
Apps are barely a thing these days anyways. The app fad is pretty much over.

The most popular ones are messenger and some shitty games. That's about it.
>>
>>52518384
I remember Gadgets.

NO ONE USED THEM.

EVER.
>>
>>52518887
>Have you clicked the context menu on Windows 7 and clicked 'gadgets'?
No.
Literally never.
>>
>>52518384
It was a pretty useless feature anyway. I always disabled it on my Win 7 computers through GPO.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
Thread DB ID: 447943

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.