[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled.jpg (480KB, 2335x1977px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
480KB, 2335x1977px
>>
unattended-upgrades
cron-apt
your own bash script
>>
>>52513499
talk when you actually have it running
not when you google quickly some shit
>>
>>52513898

#!/bin/sh
#/usr/local/bin/windowsupdate.sh

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade -y

aaaand

10 1 * * 1 /usr/local/bin/windowsupdate.sh > /tmp/windowsupdate.log
>>
>>52514058
you often run as root?
>>
>>52514190
I believe the bottom code textbox is suppose to go into a cron folder.
Also Ubuntu Server does this automatically is you want it to on setup.
>>
>>52514290
it goes in to crontab -e
and it wont do nothing
cause no privilages

people are always full of advice on automatic updates
but you never actually find someone running it, not even to test it for few weeks

but theres no shortage of guys giving advice and pasting quick google results
>>
>>52513335
The reason I stopped recommending Linux to "normal users" is _because_ of the concept of distributions.

Coupling the updates of single apps with the updates of the whole desktop or framework and libs, is just plain wrong. Having to upgrade the whole distro (including all the other installed apps you dont want to upgrade) just to install a new version of one single app you _want_ to update is a nightmare. Total bullshit. Users. Dont. Want. That. Users dont want one update to trigger another update, or even to trigger the upgrade of the whole desktop.

The blog post by ESR is one prominent example: http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=3822

He basically wanted to upgrade just one (obscure) app, and the process triggered the automatic removal of Gnome2 and installation of Unity. Just _IMAGINE_ how nightmarish this must look for normal users. You simply dont remove somebodys installed desktop sneakily from under their feet. You simply dont. That feels like the total loss of control over your computer.

I personally had, during the last 10 years, people go from Linux (which I talked them into trying) back to windows, _precisely_ of this reason, of having to upgrade the whole distribution every few months just to be able to get new app versions. They dont have to put up with this insane bullshit on Windows, why should they put up with it on Linux?

This "distribution" bullshit is not what is killing desktop Linux, it is what _already_ killed desktop Linux.

The other reasons why desktop Linux never made it (no games, no preinstallations on hardware) are imho just consequences of the distribution concept and the 6-month planned-obsolescence cycle. Nobody wants to bother with something which will be obsolete half a year down the road. Nobody wants to develop for a target that moves _that_ fast.

If anybody _ever_ really wants to see Linux succeed on the desktop (before the desktop concept itself is gone), he will have to give up on the distribution concept first.
>>
>>52514190
>>52514330

If you don't always run as root, you're not running like 95% of the industry
>>
>>52514330
Regardless of my lack of knowledge of this, this works OOTB on Ubuntu Server. Would it be easy to look up how Ubuntu Server does it?
>>
>>52514358
get a life fatty
>>
>>52514386
>OOTB
yyeah, I got real problems believing this claim
even without factoring in the 4chan
>>
>>52514358
>not using a rolling release distro
>>
>>52514404
No bug reports saying that it doesn't work outright. Picture is outdated but it is the same from 12.04 to 14.04 to 15.10. I used that option for 2 years and it works. I have no idea how it works, but it works.
>>
>>52514358
I agree anon, it's a bit of a pain in the cunt for n00bz
>>
[root@sug Downloads]# sudo pacman -Sy
error: infinality-bundle: signature from "bohoomil (dev key) <[email protected]>" is unknown trust
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community-testing is up to date
community is up to date
error: failed retrieving file 'infinality-bundle.db' from bohoomil.com : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed to update infinality-bundle (unexpected error)
error: database 'infinality-bundle' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))

What am I doing wrong?
>>
File: arrch.jpg (519KB, 2170x1070px) Image search: [Google]
arrch.jpg
519KB, 2170x1070px
>>52514726
>is unknown trust
try lsign the key
>>
>>52514777
Holy shit, thank you so much dude.
is there a pic for recommended programs, too?
The list on installgentoo is kind of short.
>>
>>52514358
pasta fag
>>
>>52514190
>>52514330
>>52514404
I'm not that anon. But it's better if you don't put "sudo" there. First of all you can't sudo without a terminal open. Second, if you accidentally run that command without being in the sudoers group. You'll just spam the administrator with warnings. Third, you might already have root privileges.

What you should do is put that command into roots crontab. AFAIK. Each user has his/her own crontabs. So if you try to set a cronjob, it'll run under your user.

So what you have to do is
sudo crontab -e ...

And it'll run as root. Not that hard. And if you want to update manually.
sudo windowsupdate.sh
>>
>>52514358
I don't think anyone here is talking about recommending linux to "normal users".
>>
Can someone give me noob friendly documentation on how to change the default fonts on Arch with OpenBox?
>>
>>52515153
You don't.
>>
>>52515153
->>>52514777
>>
>>52515062
does not work
log file is empty
and as far as I can tell updates are not happening
>>
>>52515202
This isn't an explanation on how to change the default fonts, though.
>>
>>52514358
i don't understand this at all. i've installed linux on plenty computers for normies, haven't had a single complaint.
you know why?
think for a moment which applications normies update. the answer is simple: firefox, thunderbird, libreoffice. or in other words, software that asks them to be updated and then, upon being granted the rights to do so, updates itself. it has nothing to do with the system underneath.
>>
>>52513335
that 's not even how W10 updates work, they let you choose when you're ready.
>>
>>52514777
Add "via 9gag" watermark on it, faggot
>>
pacman -Syu
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.