[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you use memestraps /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

File: memecard-replacement.jpg (40KB, 650x280px) Image search: [Google]
memecard-replacement.jpg
40KB, 650x280px
Do you use memestraps /g/?
>>
Not once in my 20+ years of builds. I normally work on a carpet too.
>>
Absolutely never. Had several build on the carpet, no issue at all.
>>
Snake oil fix for an imaginary problem. Maybe if you were building with wool gloves on they might be useful
>>
>>52513299
>meme
I recently killed the left channel on my motherboards built in audio through a static discharge from my ear into my headphones. ESD damage is real.
>>
If you work in IT you use one.
>>
>>52513360
>meme damage is real
>>
>>52513360
Modern motherboards come with static protection. Stop Jewing out and get new gear.
>>
>>52513401
Right, checked now and it actually says "ESD protection" on my mb box. Lot of good that did me.
>>
>>52513320
Same, never had any problems.
>>
Educational video made for a faggot audience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFqedlvMm6k
>>
>>52513401
That's truly snake oil, there's nothing special or protective about it
>>
>>52513320
>not a single unexplained blue screen or crash in 20+ years
I don't believe you.
>>
no
i compulsively "ground" myself on the case constantly though
>>
Utter bullshit.

In any civilised country with a well designed electricity network, all you have to do is mount the PSU into the case, insert the earthed power lead into the PSU and into the mains socket, with the main switch on the PSU switched off. This connects the whole case to earth.
>>
>>52513587
This

While its a good idea to have an ESD band, simple keeping contact with the case is easy enough
>>
>>52513661
I don't think you understand how electro static discharge happens. The problem is that one object (you) have a different charge than the other object (your components, chassis). It's the sudden transfer of this charge that causes damage. An ESD strap is literally just a resistor that slows that transfer to a survivable rate.
>>
What is a rubber glove?
>>
Touch the case or some metal nearby. Problem solved.
>>
File: 1451582587377.jpg (39KB, 500x610px) Image search: [Google]
1451582587377.jpg
39KB, 500x610px
Some guy I don't know paid me to come to his house to assemble his gaming PC. Every minute he interrupted "w-wear the strap please", I just told him over and over again, if the components died, I pay for the parts no worries. But in the end I wore it just to shut him up.

Inform me really if my attitude is bad and ESD really is something to worry about.
>>
>>52513947
It is something to worry about, unless >>52513868 >>52513587
>>
>>52513947
ESD damage isn't binary, you can damage components and still have them apparently working. You might get reduced lifespan, performance or failures only under certain conditions.
>>
File: 1443799034395.jpg (13KB, 250x309px) Image search: [Google]
1443799034395.jpg
13KB, 250x309px
>>52513947
>>
>>52513947
I wore it to build my gfs pc because if something magically broke I couldn't afford to replace it.
>>
>>52513661
are you confusing static wrist straps with surge protectors?
>>
>>52513947
The only time I've ever damaged something with ESD was completely on purpose. It took three attempts of vigorously going nuts on carpet and touching the connection for the bios chip before it failed to post.

Just touch the case/psu periodically or wear a strap if you're too forgetful to do that. I wear one in front of people just to look more like a pro.
>>
>>52513947
There are questions about it and about best practice on the comptia a+ exams. Make of that what you will.
>>
>>52513587
this
I"m always touching the case when I work on hardware, if I need both hands then I make contact with my forearms
>>
Yes.
I got it with my ifixit toolkit and figured might as well.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
Not yet at a point where I need them.
>>
>>52513947
The damage will show years later as random bluescreens. Static only rarely kills parts instantly.
>>
>>52513299
Never used such things, and always passed my hands in the back of all PCBs to discharge capacitors. This is a good practice for resolving most of the problems with static and over accumulated energy.
>>
>>52513547
not him but same story.

hardware failure does happen, but not by static electricity.

just handle your shit with care and you will be fine.
>>
>>52514719
>but not by static electricity.
And how exactly are you differentiating between ESD related failure and "other" failure?
>>
>>52514869
when the system have been running between tampering and failure
>>
>>52514881
That's not really a valid indicator, see >>52514281
and >>52514013
>>
Not really. Earlier on i had fears about static but the trick that has always served me well is periodically touching the bare case to dissipate any buildup.

No accidents in over 20 builds and mobo servicing sessions so far.
>>
>>52514913
i don't know, man. my system is 4 years old. no problems here. that is 4 years of steady cleaning and a few upgrades without esd strips
>>
>>52513520
but haven't you heard about >HD 4K ULTRA ESD GAMING PERFORMANCE PROTECTION
>>
NOT GROUNDING CASE, literaly it's one fucking wire to motherboard.
Same with all fucking transistors (a had broken few expensive
>>
>>52513299
Not necessary, just keep a hand on the case and touch it frequently.
>>
I do builds on a piece of wood, which floats in a pool, while I am in the pool. Thus the parts are perfectly isolated and I am on ground-level constantly.

Also by not wearing fluffy shirts or pants I don't create electric charge by friction
>>
>>52513359
Pretty much. Chances are you're sitting down while assembling computers, ass on the floor or chair. You're already grounded.

Situation where these might be useful is in a professional environment where you're wearing dress pants and your shoes have thick soles, walking around all day, and finally touching something could generate a decent shock.
>>
>>52513868
But that's wrong. You need to touch a grounded, non-painted metal.
>>
The first thing I do is install the PSU, then I plug it in but leave it switched off. That way the case is grounded and the odd contact with the case is enough. Never had problems in 10 years of making PCs this way.
>>
I build my systems naked, on a wooden table in a room with a wooden floor. ESD is a meme.
>>
>>52516449
I was always curious about how these straps are "grounded" when the computer is unplugged. Doesn't make sense to me.

I guess it's just a chassis ground and not a true earth ground?
>>
>>52513299
Only for bondage.
I discovered that wool carpet works better for PC maintenance.
>>
File: helpme.png (29KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
helpme.png
29KB, 220x165px
I don't know where to post this so I post it here.

http://www.inet.se/produkt/1517097/taurus-overkill-gtx-980-skylake#/specs

I have a budget of 2000 Euro. Is this computer worth it?

I really want 32gb ram but cannot afford it at the moment, since I do alot of photoshop and adobe premiere.

I wish to be able to have atleast 2 video game servers up, and be able to play a video game, and have a few vlc-movies tabbed + a couple of tabs on the browser. Is it good enough?

>GeForce GTX 980
>16 GB Ram
>Motherboard: MSI Z170-S02, SLI-stöd
> Windows 10, 64-bit Svenska eller Engelska (valbart vid installation) (I think I want windows 7 but will have to install it myself)

What do you guys think? Pls help
>>
>>52516569
You don't need ground, ground is just another potential. What matters is the rate of discharge between you and the workspace. That's what the strap limits.
>>
>>52516610
B U I L D O N E
U
I
L
D

O
N
E
>>
It's just good practice. Most chips come with ESD protection these days, but multiple ESD events can cause it to fail.
>>
Not at home, I quite often have to at work though
>>
File: chinese merchant.jpg (149KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
chinese merchant.jpg
149KB, 501x585px
>>52513401
>Stop being a Jew and buy new parts!
>>
Nope, and I dust my pc with a regular shop air compressor
>>
>>52513299
sure, static discharge is a real problem and tomorrow i'm just as likely to win the lottery. just fuck off with that shit already.
>>
>>52517341
no, you're not, therefore you better wear a fucking strap, because you can't afford to replace parts.
>>
>>52516610
>>>/g/sqt
>>
>>52513320
Same here. I learned about the ESD straps and passed the A+ test in the 90s. I haven't configured a base I/O address or IRQ in a long time either.
>>
>>52513299

When I worked in a computer factory I did yes because they required us too
>>
>>52517595
touché
>>
>>52513299
I built a computer in 2006 while standing on carpet
it still works perfectly (even the HDD, and the HDD from the at-the-time 5 or 6 year old prebuilt)
I built another computer in 2010 while standing on carpet
it still works perfectly, and it's been running pretty much every day since
I built half a dozen or so computers in 2012 while standing on carpet
all still work perfectly, and they've all been running and in use every weekday since
I built another computer in 2015, not standing on carpet this time, but still without a meme strap
and it still works perfectly

either this ESD stuff is 110% pure stone cold bullshit of the highest order or I need to buy a lottery ticket ASAP
>>
>>52517758
The comparison I like to use here is with xray technicians. When you go get an xray you don't really need to leave to the shielded room or worry about overexposure because it's just for a couple seconds, yet the technician would be exposed constantly without the protection.

If you just do repairs and upgrades once in a while at home, you don't need it. If you do anything professionally like working in a factory where you are constantly in contact with parts or if you are managing hardware in IT, you want the band to reduce the already minuscule chance of ESD because eventually it will happen and something will get damaged.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.