[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do motherboards always have the DIMM slots so close (withen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: TYAN-S5535-motherboard.jpg (458KB, 600x578px) Image search: [Google]
TYAN-S5535-motherboard.jpg
458KB, 600x578px
Why do motherboards always have the DIMM slots so close (withen 2 inches) to the CPU/APU socket?

This pic is an example of a smaller form factor server mobo, but on the bigger ones, why cant everything on the bottom right be swapped with everything on the top right?

I ask this because heatsinks for the CPU sometimes not being able to fit because of the heatsinks hight on some of the DDR RAM sticks.
>>
Because closer = shorter path to CPU = less resistance = less signal degradation
Just buy a non shit cooler that is actually designed properly like a cryorig.
>>
>>52509854
Buy ram without heatsinks. Problem solved.
>>
what are trace lengths
>>52509893
>>
>>52509893
I never had a problem like that before, but it makes me wonder I have my evo 212 plus whatever I forget the name has under a centimeter of gap between my g.skill memory (pic). That makes me think if I had bought the more expensive version of these I would have been fucked, and the heatsinks on the others a just a tad bigger.
>>
>>52509854
Latency.

also, stop buying ridiculous tower coolers and ram with massive gaymen heatsinks.
>>
File: Capture.png (199KB, 396x286px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
199KB, 396x286px
>>52509968
>pic
>>
>>52509854
do you know what ram is for?
>>
>>52510211
Its for your sarcasm
>>
>>52509854
>why cant everything on the bottom right be swapped with everything on the top right?

Because latency.

But you'll probably have I/o stored on the top right once HBM becomes commonplace in CPUs and they remove the DIMM slots from consumer boards.
>>
>>52510336
HBM will not replace system DRAM. Ever.
>>
>>52510336
That's cool I expect motherboards will shrink like a bitch then. imagine micro-itx without like the whole right side. dannngg. shits getting almost laptop-like.
>>
>>52510345
>HBM will not replace system DRAM. Ever.

Just like they won't ever remove overclock-ability, right?

It will replace DIMMs the second it achieves price parity, because Intel can just sell their 16GB RAM CPUs at +$200 priceup above the 8gb RAM ones.
>>
I don't mind the RAM placement, it's everything else around the CPU. It's annoying as fuck when you have an ITX board and the heatpipes on the heatsink are jammed up against something.
>>
>>52510386
No one is removing the ability to overclock from any of their unlocked SKUs. You're doing nothing but shitposting like a child because you can't backup any of the baseless assertions you're making.
HBM is not going to replace system DRAM because they are not comparable in their performance characteristics. Though the stack is built upon conventional DRAM dies, the command processor at the bottom has to maintain signaling throughout the stack. This comes at a latency cost. HBM simply isn't ever going to compete with a 3200mhz CL14 or faster DIMM in any timing sensitive op. Latency is better than GDDR5, but not comparable to DDR3/4 DIMMs.
>>
>>52510489
>No one is removing the ability to overclock from any of their unlocked SKUs.

Unlocked SKUs exist BECAUSE they removed the ability to overclock in the first place.
>>
>>52510677
Are you only 15 years old? Because its pretty clear you're not old enough to remember anything before Sandy Bridge.

Vendors have no reason to deliver an unlocked multiplier in a product intended for the OEM market, so they never did. Pushing FSB was all you could do. Special halo products for enthusiasts had an unlocked multiplier. No one delivered an unlocked multiplier at one point, and then took it away.

You're a shitposting child and nothing more.
>>
>>52510740
>>52510740

Back when I first got into computers the multiplier was unlocked. Of course this was when you overclocked via jumpers on the motherboard but even after they introduced BIOS adjusted fsb and multiplier you could freely adjust them until the williamette p4 era.
>>
>>52509854
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasistatic_approximation
>>
>>52510740
Pretty sure you're the shit posting child. Multiplier was unlocked when I started overclocking but then they locked it like the bitches they are because a tiny sect of users figured out how to make a cheaper cpu perform better than their best one.
>>
Timing reasons?

I have heard that is the reason to deliberately make some traces longer with curvy lines.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.