[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is /g/ favorite distro? I have been lurking for weeks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: 1452697052628.jpg (242KB, 2048x872px) Image search: [Google]
1452697052628.jpg
242KB, 2048x872px
Which is /g/ favorite distro?

I have been lurking for weeks and still don't know!

Thank you for your time.
>>
>>52507814
Debian, though I've seemingly enjoyed it a bit less since upgrading to Jessie. But I still prefer it to the alternatives.
>>
>>52507847
when people keep saying "install gentoo" is it a meme? or are they being serious?
>>
Debian testing
>>
>>52507814
Arch first, Debian second, Gentoo never.
>>
>>52507880
It's a meme.

Everything is compiled from source, meaning you get a marginal edge in performance since it's geared to the hardware you compile on, but to my understanding there's a hell of a learning curve and it's less stable without an intimate understanding of the system. Doesn't work out of the box.

To the contrary, Debian is reasonably user friendly and traditionally rock stable out of the box (gold standard for webservers), with the cost being slightly dated packages due to slow release cycles.
>>
>>52507880
If they are serious they say install funtoo. If someone says install gentoo he meand that you could figure out how to solve your problem on your own if you could read well enough to be able to install gentoo.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
arch or debian?
>>
File: 0756.png (979KB, 650x4376px) Image search: [Google]
0756.png
979KB, 650x4376px
>>52507934
>Arch

Please don't try to push it on newcomers.
>>
Xubuntu. Becauese it just werks TM without being as big Ubuntu or as fugly as Lubuntu, it has that nice balance. Not to mention the huge community and every problem being solvable a google search away.
>>
xubuntu or debian?
>>
>>52508054
Debian
>>
mint
>>
>>52508055
>I have trouble with basic reading comprehension
OP asks what /g/'s favourite linux distro is. Drop by in any desktop or daily programming thread and you'll find that Arch outnumbers Debian by a bit.
I remember seeing several strawpolls with similar results.

I'm answering the question. Now, take some time off your busy schedule to kill yourself.
>>
>>52508111
will do
>>
>>52508072
Not a big fan of XFCE. Arguably smaller memory footprint and more stable than GNOME, but the tradeoff in user friendliness isn't worth it IMO.

Then again, you can take solace in knowing the developers haven't been robbed dry by feminists.
>>
>>52508111
>desktop threads
Now stop by a /flt/ and see which distros the guys that help others use. Pro tip: it's debian, funtoo and fedora.
>>
>>52508111
OP seems new, and insinuates he might be looking for recommendations. But I apologize.
>>
>>52508145
Weird, I find xfce the most user friendly.
>Then again, you can take solace in knowing the developers haven't been robbed dry by feminists.
Care to expand on that?
>>
File: susetweak2.png (332KB, 1900x1078px) Image search: [Google]
susetweak2.png
332KB, 1900x1078px
OP here, thanks for all the help.

Can I ask what DE this is?

Thank you
>>
>>52508228
I see the words SUSE aswell as Gnome

Sorry to be stupid.
>>
>>52508238
OpenSUSE is a distro. Gnome is a desktop environment. So it look like OpenSUSE w/ Gnome.
>>
>>52508256
Ty

So I can do debian + gnome and get it looking like that?

The bottom MAC like launchy thing looks cool - would that be another package installed onto gnome?
>>
>>52508270
>So I can do debian + gnome and get it looking like that?
Yes.
>
The bottom MAC like launchy thing looks cool - would that be another package installed onto gnome?
No clue because I use XFCE myself but I doubt it would be to hard to set up even if its not included with the default package.
>>
>>52508295
but i would need to know the name of the thingie right

Does one use npm to install things onto debian or another command?
>>
>>52508308
apt-get

ok thanks
>>
>>52508308
You can install programs with a package manager, using the terminal or you could just download .deb files. Also I doubt "dock for gnome" is too hard to find.
>>
>>52508270
>MAC
>>
>>52508348
well im a seasoned coder but I did not know wtf that thing was called a "a dock" - but now i know so thank you for you help

cheers everyone have a great day ^_^
>>
Arch Linux
Because I enjoy the hitting my head against a wall for hours on end, but don't like the physical pain!
>>
>>52508203
>GNOME Foundation hires Karen Sandler as executive director in 2011
>Sandler aggressively pushes to cater to women/transwomen by significantly expanding women's outreach program (OPW)
>funding for OPW administration/internships become 1/4th (100k) of the organization's annual budget (400k)
>funding for activities like hackfests reduced to a quarter of previous years (80k to 20k)
>GNOME admits in 2014 it has run out of money
>Sandler jumps ship and becomes director of another FOSS organization

https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/CurrentBudgetFAQ
>>
>>52508421
Lmao. You can't make this shit up. Why the FUCK would a FOSS (and a big one a that) hire a retard like that as exec director? I wonder what was their reasoning?
>>
>>52508453
D I V E R S I T Y
I
V
E
R
S
I
T
Y
>>
File: 0846.jpg (20KB, 324x324px) Image search: [Google]
0846.jpg
20KB, 324x324px
>>52508453
It seems she had rather rich credentials as a corporate lawyer and later became the chief legal adviser for the Software Freedom Law Center, which was probably how she became well embedded within the FOSS community as a counsel and speaker.

It probably seemed like a great idea at the time, but you know what they say about good intentions.
>>
Depends.
For "it just werks": Linux Mint
If I want a stable system: Debian stable
Personal machine that I tinker with, but don't need to reliably work: Arch
>>
>>52507814
Arch or gentoo
Not even meming, I use both regularly
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.