[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My computer I built fried, going to build a $2500 rig: http

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (513KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
513KB, 2048x1536px
My computer I built fried, going to build a $2500 rig:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PdNFQ7

1. The Noctura NH-D15 seems to perform great and is popular. Is this the best air cooler around $100? What would be the max over clock on the i7-6700k I would be able to achieve with decent temps with this cooler?

2. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower was a popular choice I saw. I don't care about looks as I do temperatures, is there a similar priced full tower with better air flow?

Thoughts?
>>
>with better airflow
this matters less than you would think

In reality, airflow is defined by the how many things are blocking the path. This relationship is determined by static pressure vs CFM and it's an inverse relationship.

A more spacious case with thinner grills and larger case fans would obviously have less things blocking the path.

A case that specializes in wire tucking has less things blocking the path.

In reality most cases are rather identical in this aspect so you should just get one you like.

If it's not enough, just get louder deltas. Those have crazy static pressure.
>>
>>52503226
fixed your build same performance lower price included os and optic drive
also why even use a solid state on a gameing build files are easily recovered your game progress won't be

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zMjkVn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zMjkVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($188.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($649.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.78 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($519.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $2202.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-19 00:51 EST-0500
>>
File: 1378835238587.jpg (164KB, 1240x786px) Image search: [Google]
1378835238587.jpg
164KB, 1240x786px
>>52503511
>included os and optic drive
>>
>>52503457
I see, thanks.

>>52503511
One question I have is 60+ frames even possible without SLI for new games on max settings? The benchmarks I seen for 980 gtx ti for witcher 3, GTV 5, etc can't do it on max settings unless you go 1080p. If not that kind of makes it pointless to get a 144hz monitor
>>
>>52503618
Not even joking when I say this. The difference between max settings and like one step lower is very minimal and extremely performance draining. Just go for higher fps over looks anyways you fucking faggot
>>
>>52503541
>>52503618

these people are also recording
when not recording and useing a build just like this but with a haswell i5 and msi 980 I am able to get 60 fps in gta 5 and elderscrolls online

also that monitor was overpriced that's why I ironicly added the os just to be a shit

you will never need an i7 for gameing please kill this meme i5 and spend the rest on your gpu and any extras

also dosent skylake have some serious freezing problems with gta?
>>
>playing star wars heros game
>>
>>52503655
>this
stop being a perfectionist the build I posted is future proof for years unless your ssd shits its self.
A 960 already looks better then console and console already looks great you might as well worry about MUHH FPS because its all you and console fags will notice anyway
>>
>>52503226
Why the fuck do you need to overclock your i7?
Unless you have 4 workstation GPUs running in SLI and 25Gb of programs running in parallel, I seriously doubt your CPU will be your bottleneck.
>>
>>52503699
Haven't built a computer in 8 years and when I did I was a noob lol
>>
Why is everyone so rich in /g/?
>>
>>52503729
Not rich, cashing out all my vacation and holiday hours while claiming married with 9 kids on w4 to get a tax free 3k+ paycheck
>>
>>52503720
You should be able to overclock your CPU minimally with a stock cooler just fine.
I wouldn't bother with that though. If you really wanna squeeze out extra power, what you're doing is fine. Liquid cooling turned out to be a meme, the hassle is not worth it unless you're running a hardcore fucking server.

Hell my 980 ti came in overclocked standard and I think that's fucking overkill already.
>>
>>52503226
>$2500 rig

Way to waste money on some shitty games. Fucking manchildren and their pointless hobby.

You can play all the shitty games for way less money. Are you future proofing it or what?
If so, you are retarded. Your futureproofed shit will age bad and it would be easier to build a new pc when needed.
>>
>>52503226
Yeah, you don't really need an i7 but it does "future-proof" the computer if that's what you're aiming for. I looked at your build and it looks good, though I hope you know you could achieve the same quality for well under $2500. The video card is good, 6GB of GDDR5 should run anything for a long time, same with the 16GB of RAM.

The big issue I see with your build is storage...Unless you already have a spare hard drive lying around, a 256GB SSD is not going to cut it. Solid state drives get worn out quickly from a lot of read-and-write, and it also isn't going to leave you with a lot of space for installing games. You should probably grab a 1TB+ HDD, you'll want it in the long run, unless you've already got one from the previous build. Other than that, it's a solid rig and I like the case.
>>
>>52503867
This.
I'd focus on getting a good solid state(500gb+) and a big hard drive as backup.
>>
>>52503812
I just picked the best parts within my budget, many people do this with hobbies they like so chill out. I agree with "future proofing" being nonsense, technology advances too fast rarely getting a massive jump like ps2 to PS3.
>>
>>52503867
What do you mean worn out? If I download and erase files often it will crap out soon? If SSD are so fragile, why even get one then?
>>
>>52503953
yes and because MUHH BOOT TIMES!!1!

don't give your self the head ache
>>
>>52503953
Precisely. SSDs have a limited number of times they can read and write because they're flash-storage based, like a USB flash drive. This isn't usually a problem, but if you install and uninstall many games or torrent a lot, it could become a problem. Check this link for more info: http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

If you download and erase files, it shouldn't crap out soon, but if you download and erase a LOT of files on a regular basis, it will. To answer your second question, people get SSDs mainly to increase boot time and load times in games.
>>
>>52504062
>>52504052
You fags seriously underestimate the amount of time an SSD can last.

If used properly they should last you AT LEAST a good 2-3 years by which time you'll want to upgrade anyways.

SSDs are amazing. Don't let the fact that they degrade deter you from getting one. They last long enough, and they're only going to get better
>>
I have to say, I learn a lot in five minutes then I did hours googling and reading forums. It's like getting the straight non bullshit truth. Definitely will save me money now.
>>
>>52504115
Yea, but if there is an extremely small performance boost using a SSD and just quicker boot times, I can't really see them being worth it besides the cool small M.2 insert
>>
>>52504143
>extremely small performance boost
Your load times for games and programs go down significantly.
>>
>>52504115
I have a 50 gb ssd with a Debian and windows 10 parishion on my haswell i5 msi 970 gameing build I only use it for my os because I've had 2 ssds fail on me.
get the ssd for your os use a hdd for everything else
>>
>>52503669
The monitor wasn't really overpriced, it is a IPS panel which has far superior image quality compared to the TN panel you recommended.
>>
>>52504115
This. >>52504143

>>52504157
>Your load times for games and programs go down significantly.
>programs

Don't fool us and yourself faggot, it's mainly used for games. Yeah, you should totally pay stupid amounts of money for 5 seconds shorter loading time.

I swear, gamers have to be some of the most retarded people on this planet.
>>
>>52504195
sorry I clicked the wrong one there was a dell 144 27 in ips for 10$ more still 100$ less
>>
>>52504227
Aren't those free sync monitors, the initial one was a gsync one. What's your view of gsync?
>>
>>52504197
Except SSDs are not that expensive.
They were when they first came out. Now it's like 50 cents a gig if that.
Considering that storage speed is the big bottleneck on a lot of things...
"it's a bretty good deal folks"-Bernie "Cuck" Sanders
>>
>>52504143
> but if there is an extremely small performance boost
its over all a medium size boost to nearly everything.
nano second access times, read/write speeds that multiples faster than any HDD

Early SSDs were shit because of sandforce, sandforce was trash that just crapped itself randomly.
the speeds were there, but some drives like OCZ ones were notorious for going bad
The only company at the time that vetted the sandforce controller was intel, and intel had rock solid drives albeit somewhat slower than the rest of the market.

These days there are many more controllers for pick from and things have for the most part been ironed out and drives are reliable.
>yfw SSDs use quantum tunneling to write bits.

You honestly need to write hundreds of terabytes (this goes up with capacity) before you even start to see sectors going bad.
Your PC will be obsolete long before a typical ssd fails, you could write 2TB per month for 10 years before you even come close to wearing out the drive.
>>
>>52504267
the difference between the two is almost unnoticeable and dosnent warrant 10$ let alone 100$ 144 ips is 144ips
>>
>>52503226
Protip: Monitor is never included in PC prices. Just say it's a $1800 build next time.

For $90 you might as well go up to a CLC.
>>
>>52504479
Quality wise perhaps, but the gsync function is what I'm talking about. It seems like a great function if your system can't hit 60+ fps
>>
>>52504578
this build will hit 60 fps for years I don't see why you would need g sync

even then I personaly would just turn the graphics a little
>>
>>52504578
>>52504636
Gsync is good any time your system has less framerate than the refresh rate. Which, with a 144hz monitor, is definitely going to happen sometimes.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.