Which /g/ memes did you fall for?
Post positives and negatives.
1. Thinkpad: It was good
2. Mechanical KB: overrated
3. Sansa clip: good for running
4. Xiaomi Redmi: Best money I've spent on a phone
5. Xiaomi pistons: Pretty good and cheap
6. Koss Portapro: Best money spent on headphones
Pretty decent as a temporary fix. Screen Res is too shit for me though.
I miss the shit out of that phone.
I'm a programming student so totes worth.
Again, totally worth it.
That's pretty much it that I've taken advice from /g/ on, only decision I kind of regret is the Thinkpad, but hey at least I get to pass it down to my cousin. He's gonna love it.
Linux: I love it so much I never want to go back to Windows
Thinkpad: Even though I got a chink pad, it's the best laptop I've owned
Microsoft Intellimouse: Fished mine out of a closet because of /g/. Comfy.
Android: Buggy dogshit, swapped back to my iPhone after two years and never looked back
I haven't fallen for any /g/ memes (pretty much was ahead of the curve before /g/ got their grubby mitts on it)
The only one that /g/ has actually made me fall for is Linux.
>Good: Works great (*buntu distros), dem freedoms
>Bad: No gaymes
1. T61p: GPU died 1 day after eBay 30 day warranty
2. Sansa clip: Never use it
3. Mech keyboard: I can't use anything else now
4. Doing Computer Science: Got a job sorted before even leaving uni. Didn't meet any grills in uni though
5. Loonix: Set up a few servers. Pain in the ass to configure first try but they're very reliable.
6. Dogecoin: I made £200 back when it bubbled and was every thread on /g/
1. Mechanical keyboard: It's pretty cool, have cute anime girl printed on the keycaps, and no text so it makes everyone who tries to use it mad. Seriously makes me wonder how people manage to exist without being able to touchtype at all. It sounds cool too although I have reds, not blues or anything like that.
2: Xiaomi Redmi Note 2: 2nd smartphone I've owned, and the first was an Xperia E, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I like it.
3. SSD: How does this qualify as a meme, how could anyone possibly be dissatisfied with an SSD unless they bought a shit one.
4. Linux: I'm too lazy for this but it's pretty cool, and somewhat necessary for many things the same way windows is for games. You want to do something on your computer but you don't know how so you google "how to do thing" and you click the "do thing tutorial" link and the first line you realise they are assuming you use Linux.
The one that doesn't involve trying to slowly brainwash /g/ that
A) they're are girls on the internet (OP's pic related)
I'd say that one, yea.
/g/ likes to meme it's memes at everyone.
I actually got a ThinkPad as was pretty happy with it. Was a solid low-end laptop.
Mechanical keyboard was pretty memetastic, quadruple price for literally no improvement of performance. But I agree "it feels nuce"
Bought a MDR-V6 like 3 years ago for 60% off on black Friday. It was worth that price for sure.
>3. SSD: How does this qualify as a meme, how could anyone possibly be dissatisfied with an SSD unless they bought a shit one.
When the realization hits you that you just paid massively more per Gb for storage and you didn't spend a noticeable about of time waiting for programs to load in the first place you might feel you've been memed.
Quite a lot, actually.
1. Chinkpad X220: Love it, best laptop I've ever used. Keyboard is great, it runs great and I like the sturdiness. Also upgraded my RAM and switched from HDD to SSD on some anon's recommendation. Love it even more now.
2. Linux: I dislike my Windows install less and less as I get comfy with Linux. However, I did have some hickups in the process of getting dual boot to run that I wouldn't have had otherwise. Also, proprietary AMD driver on Ubuntu repo broke everything, didn't even manage to get into tty to revert to old drivers.
3. Mechanical keyboard: really like the clacky noises and the feel of typing on it
4. Sony MDR-V55 I found in /hpg/ pastebin: Really good headphones considering the music I listen to and really nice for the price (< 50€)
Generally, I like being memed by /g/. Right now I'm considering whether I should try out Arch in a Virtual Box to see if it could be the thing for me. Idk about what I would gain though as I would install MATE plus MATE-extras on it anyways.
>When the realization hits you that you just paid massively more per Gb for storage and you didn't spend a noticeable about of time waiting for programs to load in the first place you might feel you've been memed.
I didn't actually pay anything for it, my dad bought one on amazon and they shipped him 50 and didn't want them back. But that's besides they point, it's much much faster than an HDD. Sure, for some things that doesn't matter, if you are just opening notepad or whatever it doesn't matter if it takes 5 milliseconds or 1, but for things like actually booting your computer, it can save a lot of time, and the biggest difference of all is load times in games. Path of Exile for example, with a HDD it can take multiple minutes to start up and up to a minute or so between each area. With an SSD it's less than 30 seconds to start and about 3 seconds between areas. Still kinda slow compared to the speeds I've seen other people getting but I think that might be because of my old-ass CPU. Anyway an SSD is 100% worth if you have anything that takes forever to load on an HDD.
Like seriously, I would never want to use a computer without an SSD for an extended period of time now. They are just so damn good.
Sorry this took so long, I couldn't access my phone on linux and couldn't be bothered figuring it how to fix it properly since I could just switch to windows, so I though I'd try disabling MTP, but that didn't work. So I switched to windows but it wasn't recognised there either, and it was at that point I realised that there's actually no way to re-enable it, ended up having to reset the whole phone to get it working again. Should've just emailed the pictures to myself or something. Excuse the mess, it's in desperate need of a clean. Also excuse the shitty photo, I suck at taking photos and the Redmi Note 2 has a pretty mediocre camera.
1. Thinkpad x220. It's decent, but ultimately the lack of a GPU kills it for me. Gave it to my mum with loonix so that she doesnt fuck it up. I bought it when I was drunk and it wasn't such a good deal.
2. Moto /g/ 4g This was more of a necessity purchase after I lost my galaxy s5. It werks, although it has started to show lag, music player stutters from time to time (either spotify or poweramp).
Not much, guess I wasn't memed on too hard.
Pays to take everything you hear here with a kg of salt.
I never really fell for a meme, so don't have anything to write.
Disclosure: I don't own audiophile headphones, mechanical keyboard, SSD, never liked anime, no linux, no chink phone, no thinkpad. So, as long as I don't own those, I think I'm safe!
1. Thinkpad: Glorified Terminal Machine
2. Mechanical KB: Went back to muh Topre
That's about it.
>Thinkpad: best laptop, still a shittop though
>IBM T221 monitor: based
>MKB: no going back
>N900: slow as fuck but muh physical kb
>Arch: best distro, my work now runs it in production
>Golang: it's now all I use besides sepples for graphics stuff
nothing yet because poorfag, but i plan on getting a logitech g402, a superlux headphone and also upgrading my HDD to SSD.
Oh, and i bought a thinkpad but it was a new one that /g/ says its shitty but it was my only option so there is that.
Once I got past the initial confusion, it was awesome. By far the best 'tech' decision I've ever made. Perfect for data analysis
Totally awesome machine. x230t. Good for notes, sturdy and nice battery lifetime. I've been asked quite a few times at university (physics) where I got it and how much it was. Keyboard is great.
just.. no.. I do not enjoy compiling.
Quite nice. Have been using it as primary or secondary os for years now. Sure beats ubuntu.
Best invest I've made in hardware components ever. Its faster yes. But now neither my thinkpad or other laptop make any sound at all. The silence is worth it all.
Fine for mediacenter / torrentbox. Don't buy one without a prior reason.
Not even once.
Not all its made out to be. Was a good keyboard, but not magnificent. A bit to noisy for my liking.
Meme50x - HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT 2 HOURS USE MAX
Portapros - sounded fine but metal band got so hot in summer sun it burned me
Sansa Clip - Total garbage
WD Reds - Top tier 10/10 shit
G400 - Top tier 10/10 mouse
Thinkpad: X220. Good, but needs ganooslashlinux, so I'm loading Arch.
Mechanical Keyboard: Model M at work and a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid with Cherry blues at home. Love the Model M. The Cherry blues are too clacky.
Sansa Clip+: I haven't loaded Rockbox yet, but I like it so far as is, and serves it purpose at the gym.
Headphones: Senn HD 280 Pros. They sound good enough.
Raspberry Pi: Loaded Retropie and filled it with NES/SNES/Genesis games.
Hd600 is pretty good, I would like more bass but playing with equaliser pretty much fixes the problem. I kind of expected a more premium feel (leather pads etc)
The mouse is alright, software that came with it didnt work with 8.1, had to use earlier version, it a mouse better than 2€ that I was using before.
Got a smartphone a few months later, never bothered with it again.
>Mechanical watch (Seiko 5 and an old Komandirskie)
Pretty cool but a bitch if you don't wear it the entire day.
Used it as a server, SD card shat itself when the power went down once. Then built a proper server because the rPi was a bit too slow anyway.
>Who is this semen demon
Moroccan model. filename.jpg
Massive upgrade over my iPhone 4, I love the Freedom™ I now have
Got an X1 Carbon for uni and I'm loving the battery life
It's fun to type on but god damn blues are loud
>Electrical and Computer Engineering
fuck my life tbqh senpai
No regrets. Stubborn HDDfags need to see the light already and buy so prices drop down even faster. Seriously why is anything else even considered for laptops these days?
No other memes. I've been running Linux before /g/, never bought chinkpad but got one from my employer and Porta Pros don't sound that good imho. I havent had dedicated mp3 player since like 2010. I also don't own a smartphone so those Nexus, G4 etc threads look weird to me.
Pretty good. I like the durable feel and the keystrokes, but imo it isn't that much better to type on than on my shitty old Acer laptop. I have to say that the keyboard on my laptop is one of the best laptop keboards I've ever typed on, so there's that.
I'm now unable to use a computer that doesn't have one without going completely mad.
>audiophile headphones (AKG K612 Pro)
This particular set is not a /hpg/ meme, but found it myself by doing some research. Still have never had a better sounding pair of headphones on my ears.
It's a really great mouse, that would be perfect if the scroll wheel wouldn't be so shitty and it wouldn't get pushed away by the cable whenever I let go of it.
>Fractal Design Define R4
Amazing case. I have some minor issues with the connector of the front audio jack, it keeps slightly disconnecting. Luckiliy I hardly ever use that port.
>Qnix QX2710 Korean 1440p monitor
Shittiest build quality I've ever seen of anything ever, but the picture quality can't be beaten for that price.
I guess that's it. Got memed quite hard I guess, but I don't regret any of the above purchases, nor have I with any (major) tech purchase ever really.