[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the purpose of linux over windows?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 1407944732914.png (409KB, 478x360px) Image search: [Google]
1407944732914.png
409KB, 478x360px
what is the purpose of linux over windows?
>>
When your life is so devoid of anything that you want to complicate basic tasks so they take more time.
>>
>>52499901
authism
>>
>>52499901
What's the purpose of /g/ over /v/?
>>
File: HeyKid.png (163KB, 680x449px) Image search: [Google]
HeyKid.png
163KB, 680x449px
Pic related
>>
>>52499901
Most notably the freedom of choice. You get to decide what your computer will do, and what it will not do. No bullshit like "your PC needs to restart to finish installing important updates" with no "Don't reboot" button, do what you want. People like to complain about trivil tasks getting more complex due to unstable applications and driver issues, but under certain circumstances (getting lucky enough to get Debian Stable to work with your hardware) it's a lot more reliable than Windows or even OSX.

Also, customization.
>>
File: 1453081746803.jpg (34KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1453081746803.jpg
34KB, 800x450px
This
>>
>>52499963
>choice between systemd, systemd, and systemd
>"freedom of choice"
>>
>>52499901

both different uses

for /g/ general autism, being bored as fuk
>>
>>52499901
Freedom, Technical superiority, privacy, knowing what your computer is doing, being able to modify it, getting it for free, not having things forced on you at every turn.

People like to claim Linux complicates basic tasks, but that's a falsehood. In a lot of ways, Linux is actually simpler to use than Windows, it's just a bit different and takes a little bit of getting used to.

That said, there are autistic distros such as Arch, Gentoo, and Slackware that needlessly complicate things, and if your only opinions of Linux come from the autists who use those, you need new sources.
>>
>>52499901
Having switched just recently in the past few years I'd have to say Linux is much more convenient than Windows the majority of the time.
>>
>>52499901
Doing anything except for Gaymes and Video Editing better, and having freedom, privacy, and choice while you do it.

Gaymes are just because Game Companies can't fuck Linux users up the ass with their bladed strap-on because FOSS prevents such assfuckery, same with Video Editing software. And for most purposes, FOSS alternatives work just fine.
>>
>>52499987
if you don't like it you can literally install gentoo and keep using sysvinit, last I heard. if that's no longer the case, or you don't want to, there's always freebsd
>>
>>52499987
You can run Sysvinit still, but you have to get a little autistic to do it.

Arch, Gentoo, and other minimal distros let you run Sysvinit, and there's bootstrap builds for every distro, such as debootstrap, fedbootstrap, and most likely others.
>>
>>52500052
also automation, package management, good developer libraries, etc.
>>
>>52499901
Command line is so much better in linux, it makes work flow easier
>>
For me, package manager, easier to work with if you need to program and also I find it a lot more simple than windows, maybe because it's more transparent. But it's just a tool, it depends what you need it for.
>>
File: 1440528054378.gif (3MB, 480x292px) Image search: [Google]
1440528054378.gif
3MB, 480x292px
>>52499963
And this is an example of an autist using linux

>using linux because you don't know how to turn updates off
>using linux for 'customization'
>>
>>52500052
>Arch, Gentoo, and Slackware
Only Arch...
>>
>>52500336
>Turning off updates
C U C K
U
C
K
>>
>>52499901
Installing gentoo and having a superior computing experience
>>
>>52499987
Or you could just run OpenRC.
>>
>>52500336
> don't know how to turn off updates
> implying Microshaft/Apple let you not install what they want you to install

You're naive.
>>
>>52500052
>>That said, there are autistic distros such as Arch, Gentoo, and Slackware that needlessly complicate things, and if your only opinions of Linux come from the autists who use those, you need new sources.

you are the problem with /g/
>>
File: 2398284724872.jpg (1MB, 2986x2396px) Image search: [Google]
2398284724872.jpg
1MB, 2986x2396px
>>52500450
The autistic ricers are the problem with /g/. This board could be so great..
>>
>>52499901
another reddit or /v/-tier thread

Why do you idiots keep thinking you belong here?
>>
>>52499986
You can disable updates in services and then update manually f
>>
/g/ should make its own distro
>>
-I don't have to deal with a curryniger forcing shady updates on my system
-Nothing on Windows comes close to package mangers.
-OOTB SSH
-LLVM stack support
-Workspaces
-Easy to automate thanks to bash and python
-Supports the software i need (Mostly Matlab)
-Best support for virtualization
-Font rendering
-Support for every file system
-My computers just work when i need it, i don't have to wait for updates to finish
-It's not full of background scheduled tasks so i don't get performance drops
-Tabs of the file explorer
>>
>>52500802
AutOSt
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.