[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whatsapp free software

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: whatsapp.png (62KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
whatsapp.png
62KB, 300x300px
Whatsapp is now free software!

https://blog.whatsapp.com/615/Making-WhatsApp-free-and-more-useful

Isn't this what /g/ always wanted?
>>
It's free as in free beer, not free as in freedom.
>>
It's still not free as in freedom
>>
>>52498309
new fag pls go
>>>/hardcandy/
>>
File: signal.png (43KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
signal.png
43KB, 512x512px
Still Facebook, still not open source, still doesn't have any proper ephemeral end-to-end encryption with managing your own private and public keys, still no verification of identities, media messages are still sent unencrypted and stored server side.

No, this is not what /g/ always wanted.

Just use Signal. With proper identity verification and ephemeral end-to-end encryption, Google's got nothing on you.
>>
Nice meme thread. I'll stick to Tox
>>
>>52498403
>Google's got nothing on you.
>nothing
If they wanted to, they could have your metadata. Signal isn't a mixnet, and makes no strong efforts to not be vulnerable to timing attacks. Since it uses Google's push notification service, this means Google, with some effort, can know who is speaking to who, and when. OWS also gets access to your entire contact list as well as your metadata, though at least for now, I trust them with that. They're trying to solve the issues that aren't timing-dependent right now (i.e. an efficient PIR scheme that scales to millions of users), but academia is coming up short for solutions. Idk if they're planning on adding any timing side-channel circumvention.

That said, Signal is still by far the easiest way to get e2e communication.
>>
>>52498545
>Metadata
That's a fair point. However, they still can't access your messages without your private key. I'm still okay with that.

>Not distributed
That's also true, sadly I don't trust the alternatives yet that do function in a distributed manner (which is a big plus). Tox has a lot of features, but is still under heavy development. And LibreSignal is still experimental as well and doesn't support VoIP calls yet last I checked. I'll keep an eye out, though.

>Easiest
I certainly wouldn't have gotten my friends to join if it wasn't this easy.
>>
Why do people use a third party app for messaging when android/ios comes with a free messaging app out of the box????
>>
>>52498740
:^)
>>
>>52498740
because you need to pay for the messages
>>
>>52498309
I'd just like to know why the fuck do I have to give them a mobile phone number to use that shit
>>
>>52498704
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I wouldn't recommend anything but Signal to anyone (who isn't a total privacy nerd). My point merely was, don't overstate its position. If people get the mistaken impression that Signal protects metadata, and someone relies on that security (e.g. some Chinese dissident or whatever), that would suck.
>>
>>52498309

does it still need my telephone number to sign up
>>
>“Free software” means software that respects users' freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”. We sometimes call it “libre software” to show we do not mean it is gratis.
>>
>>52498819
I certainly agree, mate. I'll phrase it better next time without overstating, cheers.
>>
>>52498798
>year 2027
>whatssnap doesn't require phone number
>bots mass-generating accounts everwhere
>restore old sim-card-saved contacts, but don't know their normie-ID
>>
>>52498819
>I wouldn't recommend anything but Signal to anyone (who isn't a total privacy nerd)

What about Wickr?
>>
>>52498873
>using the exact same word in a different language changes the meaning
Only freetards are this fucking stupid. Fuck you Stallman you worthless faggot.
>>
>For many years, we've asked some people to pay a fee for using WhatsApp after their first year. As we've grown, we've found that this approach hasn't worked well.
Because you extend the free subscription for another year you retards!
>>
>>52499025
Proprietary. It's supposed to have very good cryptography, but without the source code it's not subject to independent research. This is a red flag in cryptography. Look up Kerckhoffs' Principle or Claude Shannon's Maxim why it's such a big issue.
>>
Does it have a working desktop client yet?

Not that scanning a qr-code off some web interface bullshit?
>>
>>52499039
Blame it on the English language for having one word that can convey two different meanings.
>>
>>52498309
So its like a shittier version of LINE now?
>>
>>52498309
Why do people use this?

I can call and text people for free that comes with carrier plan (I pay 7.5 euro a month for it).
>>
>>52499281
It's mainly used by third-worlders who don't have free texting included with their mobile plans.
>>
>>52499281
SMS is straight garbage compared to basically any other app.
>>
>>52499301
It's good enough for me with group chat and picture messaging.
>>
>>52498309
>WhatsApp
>What's UP
>WASSUP
>IT'S A CHAT CLIENT

HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>52499281
Can you text friends who are overseas for free?
>>
>>52498309
shut your whore mouth if you don't know what free software means

it is gratis.
>>
>>52499620

Omg I just noticed this that's actually so cool lmao
>>
>>52500323
No, man, you have to read the article! WhatsApp is LITERALLY free software now!
>>
>>52599999
>>
>>52499221
What do you need on desktop that you cant do using the webpage?
>>
File: lips.jpg (34KB, 494x426px) Image search: [Google]
lips.jpg
34KB, 494x426px
>>52499620
>Tox
>Talks
>it's a chat client you talk with
>>
>>52500415
>windows
>apps run in windows

GUISE
>>
>>52498309
i never paid for it in the first place...
>>
>>52499296
Or it's used in the workplace to disseminate the schedules or pertinent information to everyone at once. It's also useful to relay information at work when there's too much radio chatter.
>>
File: home-alone-lr.jpg (7KB, 231x260px) Image search: [Google]
home-alone-lr.jpg
7KB, 231x260px
>>52500432
>Linux
>Unix system created by Linus
>Linus + Unix
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.