[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is delidding worth the risk?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: delidded 3770k.jpg (21KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
delidded 3770k.jpg
21KB, 500x375px
Is delidding worth the risk?
>>
Yeah if you can afford to replace it and won't be upset at all if it breaks.
>>
I guess after a few years yeah.

I redo thermal paste on laptops all the time, this is just one more step to do. Dont worry the thing is actually pretty robust, just be careful.
>>
I read somewhere that you Vishera chips are soldered to the lid and its not worth the effort to delid and repaste them, does anyone know if that's true? I can't seem to find a solid answer
>>
>>52497687

>believing the de-lid meme

Intel said the product is fine. If you want more performance, just buy X79/99.
>>
>>52497745

AMD is cheap and solders everything down. Intel does it right and uses thermal paste instead of overly conductive solder.
>>
>>52497766
>jewtel said
>just buy
>insert additional shekels.
>>
>>52497766
>the product is fine
What if I want the product to be better than fine? I see plenty of stuff about 10-30 degree drops after applying new paste so why wouldn't I?

>>52497790
>overly conductive
You mean heat conductive? Wouldn't that be a good thing?
>>
>>52497790
Guaranteed replies
>>
File: 1391547169356.png (14KB, 196x200px) Image search: [Google]
1391547169356.png
14KB, 196x200px
>>52497790
>>52497766
>>
I shattered the die on my 3570k, and I was doing it by the book with a razer blade. Don't do it.
>>
>>52497819

>what if I want the product to be better than fine?

Buy the more expensive X99 platform then. You can't have everything when you buy cheap. Intel makes two different lines for a reason. You can buy cheap i7 6700K CPU's that are good enough or you can buy the i7 5820K and have a better platform. Intel makes it easy for you to decide between the two platforms.
>>
>>52497790
solder is more thermally conductive than even the best TIM
>>
>try and delid
>it breaks
>superglue ihs back on
>rma it

???
>>
>>52498050
>superglue
Don't tempt me anon
>>
>>52498066
i mean, if you fuck up it's all covered underneath the ihs anyway
>>
It's only worth doing if you're aiming to extreme overclock and you need the best possible interface between the CPU and your block.

Otherwise it is completely worthless.
>>
Popped the lid on my 3770k, best decision I made with the whole build.
>>
Depends, is it really worth the risk in potentially destroying a $400 CPU for a few degrees drop in temperature?
>>
>>52497925
>want the 5 cent paste instead of the 1 cent paste
>"that'll be $500 extra"
>>
>>52497687
You shouldn't do it if you consider it a risk
It can be done 100% safely
The problem really is the time/effort you have to put into it
>>
>>52498719
What do you mean? It seemed straightforward to me, like something I could do in a day
>>
this guy does 3 in one video. It looks fucking easy

fuck you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OdkxgrfjWg
>>
Unless you're throttling why the fuck would you care about temperature?
>>
>>52499239
>you need your dad if you're not swole as fuck
>you need a towel to wipe the sweat off when you're done
Holy fuck my sides
>>
File: image.jpg (224KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224KB, 816x612px
>risk
It's pretty easy anon, just make sure your IHS isn't soldered to the cpu die.

Just delid my 4790K a week ago. I wasn't expecting huge temp drops and did it more for the experience, but did drop about 7C under load. First thing, do NOT use the razor blade method. Use a bench vice to put pressure on the side of the IHS (One side of the vice on the pcb, one on the IHS) slowly tighten until it pops right off. Then just clean IHS and cpu die and remove the excess silicone glue with a credit card. Replace the TIM with some CL ultra/pro and apply a thin layer of RTV black silicone to the underside edges of the IHS. Close it up, apply some pressure, wipe the excess silicone and let it cure. Pic related, my 4790K after the delid, can't even tell it was opened
>>
>>52497790
Wouldn't solder cost more than thermal paste and also be more thermally conductive?
>>
>>52497819
>10-30 degree drops after applying new paste
this is clearly a lie
>>
>>52499404
Bench method is risky with the thinner pcbs of skymemes.
>>52499406
he is baiting
>>
>>52499440
>skymemes
It is a bit riskier yes but it should still be safe since the pressure is on the side
>>
Condense your shit.
>>52498142
I already posted everything relevant to do with thermal paste and soldered heatsinks in THAT thread.

tl;dr delidding is terrible if you have a soldered-on IHS. Solder is better than paste.
>>
>>52497687
Is this the type of meme that happens when audiophiles find out about real hardware?
>>
>>52497687
Absolutely. Dropped ~20 degrees off my 6700K. Fans are now whisper quiet.
>>
>>52499427
This guy >>52499239 even says 15 is low and most people see 20-25 (about 20 minutes)
>>
>>52499491
it's actually diagonal
>>
>>52497687
>Is delidding worth the risk?

I don't OC so not for me.
>>
Can you leave the lid off?
>>
>>52499659
Hardly

>>52500038
Yes but you need a special bracket and need to be extra careful tightening down the cooler
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.