[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people want a Year of the Linux desktop? Nothing good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Dell-Project-Sputnik.jpg (343KB, 1600x1205px) Image search: [Google]
Dell-Project-Sputnik.jpg
343KB, 1600x1205px
Why do people want a Year of the Linux desktop?
Nothing good will come out of it.

Even if computers came with linux pre-installed, it would inevitably be some branded garbage with every manufacturer and OEM having their own fork of ubuntu and adding bloatware and shit.
Any person who isn't a total illiterate would just wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of their favorite distro.

Not to mention, the idiots who don't do this will absolutely destroy the already shitty linux community by watering it down much like "eternal september", asking the same shitty questions over and over and asking to troubleshoot the shitty bloatware portions of their branded linux distro.

Don't forget that soon all development will start to pander to dumb users so the scary command line will have to be dumbed down, sidestepped, or removed altogether, maybe as part of systemd in the near future.
Ubuntu already gives users very little reason to use the command line because everything is designed around a gui.

And finally, SJWs will be so assblasted at all the "boys club" linux terminology that linux will fall out of public favor and it's users will be considered even more undesirable than thought possible.

So really, there is literally zero tangible benefit for linux to come preinstalled on a computer and becoming popular with tech illiterates that make up 99% of the computer using population.
>>
>>52496384
>muh spoopy skeletons
You lost me there buddy.
>>
>>52496384
>Even if computers came with linux pre-installed, it would inevitably be some branded garbage with every manufacturer and OEM having their own fork of ubuntu and adding bloatware and shit.

Unfortunately on the computers that have came out with ubuntu installed, this is the case.
>>
>bloatware
i used to work helpdesk
this reminds me of all the times I had to deal with people trying to use the manufacturers bloatware versions of basic things like the wifi selector or even the start menu.
Why do they do this shit? Why do they try to side-step the OS by adding redundant software that doesn't even perform as well as the stock OS features?
>>
>>52496384
>Why do people want a Year of the Linux desktop?
We just think Linux deserves to be considered as a valid OS option.

>Nothing good will come out of it.
As in everything in life, bad and good things will come out of it.

>, it would inevitably be some branded garbage with every manufacturer and OEM having their own fork of ubuntu and adding bloatware and shit.
so? You reinstall. The main point here will be better and more bleeding edge hardware support in kernel etc.

>Any person who isn't a total illiterate would just wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of their favorite distro.
Yep. That is freedom of choice, whats wrong with that? You can do that with every OS.

>the idiots who don't do this will absolutely destroy the already shitty linux community by watering it down much like "eternal september", asking the same shitty questions over and over
If linux grows in marketshare, so will support.

>all development will start to pander to dumb users so the scary command line will have to be dumbed down, sidestepped, or removed altogether, Again, what is wrong with that? As long as there will be possibility to use command line or to install another distro, you are free to ignore GUI and type away. Actually the trend seems to be that companies are making more effort to make CLIs usable for powerusers.

>Ubuntu already gives users very little reason to use the command line because everything is designed around a gui.
I use ubuntu too. I use CLI once a month, whats wrong with that, not 1337 h4xx0r enough for you? You can use CLI as much as you want and use i3, awesome etc.

>And finally, SJWs will be so assblasted at all the "boys club" linux terminology
Literally who cares, nobody important takes them seriously.

>So really, there is literally zero tangible benefit for linux to come preinstalled on a computer and becoming popular with tech illiterates that make up 99% of the computer using population.
Would you say the same about OSX?
>>
>>52496616
They sell access to software vendors. That's how they offset the cost of the Windows license.
>>
>>52496384
OP your pic related looks sexy, XPS plus loonoox?

This pleases /g/.

Is this CES?
>>
>>52496892
>We just think Linux deserves to be considered as a valid OS option.
Unfortunately it isn't. Not easy enough for plebs to use.
>>
>>52497402
>Muh secret club
>>
>>52497402
What do you mean? The basic operations are the same.

Opening browser and other applications
Looking through files and folders, creating, moving, copying and deleting files/folders.
Looking through pics, watching video, listening to music

Everything the basic user does is the fucking same on Linux. Only a variety of DEs may look confusing because there are some that do not resemble Windows or OSX. But on the other hand, there are DEs just like that so you can pick those.
>>
>>52496384
>Don't forget that soon all development will start to pander to dumb users so the scary command line will have to be dumbed down, sidestepped, or removed altogether

Yes, because that ALWAYS happens to major operating systems. I mean, what were they thinking when they removed the command prompt from windows?
>>
File: 1410133185056.jpg (272KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1410133185056.jpg
272KB, 1024x768px
>>52496384
>Ubuntu
>>
File: thinkp.jpg (68KB, 500x709px) Image search: [Google]
thinkp.jpg
68KB, 500x709px
>>52496384
>Year of the Linux desktop?
Nah, I want year of the Linux laptop
>>
>>52496384

GUIs are not new, stop pretending like they are. The command line CANNOT disappear.

2016 will be the year people are finally sick of the whining from SJWs

If they start attacking the Linux community they'll be roundly told to fuck off

Look at all the benefits Android had.

MAC/Windows having more competition would probably only be a good thing
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.