[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is AMD pretty much non-existent in laptops? CPU's aside,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

Why is AMD pretty much non-existent in laptops?
CPU's aside, you can barely find a laptop with a Radeon GPU in it.
The high end is pretty much Nvidia exclusive with 960m/970m and the low end is mostly Intel dominated.
What the fuck happened? Their GPU's should be perfectly up to the task so why?
>>
File: AMD_User.jpg (152KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
AMD_User.jpg
152KB, 425x282px
>>52494513
Gee I wonder why.
>>
>>52494569
Epic meme xD
>>
>>52494513
you remember that noncompetitiveness court case that intel lost in europe, yeah?
>>
>>52494576
It's not a meme retard, they are literally power hungry and hot as fuck.

Is this your first day on /g/, did you mum buy you a computer for Christmas?
>>
>>52494605
This is mostly a GPU thing though. Not sure what Intel has to do with it.
>>
>>52494513
The Macbook Pro Mid-2015 has a Radeon R9 M370X Dedicated GPU into the expensive model. I don't know why Apple has chosen for AMD Graphics. The battery is draining extremely when the AMD Graphics chip is in use.
>>
>>52494674
intel has EVERYTHING to do with this.

Here's how it works: intel offers deals on its chips to the laptop board makers. These guys might want to go AMD sometimes, but intel will revoke those deals if the company pushes out high-end AMD parts. low-end parts are allowed, to further degrade AMD's image and keep up a facsimile competitive environment.

On the off chance a good AMD part is made anyway AND one of the big laptop makers actually wants to get it (take a look at this next time you check out laptop skus btw - only the biggest makers, or makers whose business is not primarily laptops, usually are able to push anything like a high-performance AMD laptop without suffering painful repercussions from Intel, so you see HP and sometimes MSI or someone like that0 willingly snubbing its nose at Intel, BUT...), Intel will go after the retailers that would normally carry those SKUs, revoking marketing money and things like that normally used to fund sales and rebates, making companies like Newegg or Bestbuy unhappy with the prospect of losing margin on their more popular Intel sales just to fit in an oddball from AMD.

It's uncompetitive as hell, but until Intel is brought to court over this in America, you can expect to see much the same for years to come. After Intel's done with AMD, they'll do the same to Samsung and Qualcomm, though that will be a harder fight.
>>
>>52494513

My last laptop had AMD. Radeon D 7670M

Not the highest end shit or anything but it handled most games better than I ever expected it to. What a trooper.
>>
>>52494841
>tfw Jewtel and Jewvidia will win
>tfw monopoly
>>
>>52494513
It's not a meme, AMD mobile gpu are hotter, higher power draw and slower
>>
>>52494841
That still doesn't explain it. AMD was pretty much non-existent on laptop GPU's even before Intel created GPU's of their own. It was always Nvidia dominance.
>>
>>52494513
To hot and to power greedy, might be seeing more come through with the new HBM memory that they're show casing with the Fury X. But still Intel has always been better when it comes to power and thermals.
>>
>>52494513
OEMs love Intel shekels
>>
Because, when you build a /HIGG QUABITY NOTEBPOK/, the only thing that consumers care about is high efficiency, for better battery life.

Incidentally, Games favour Intel because they are poorly optimised. This corners the /GAYMAN LAPTAP/ segment of the market too.

Zen won't bring AMD to the front, but it will at least make them relevant again. This is the sad truth.
>>
>>52494888
My first laptop had a Radeon 2600 XT in it, was a real beast back when it came out, but like everyone here says, it also ate power and shat heat like you wouldn't believe.
Even with the big battery in the 17" frame it lasted 2.5 hours on idle, but I bought it as a portable desktop so that didn't bother me.
Sucker still works, but the GPU immediately heats up as soon as the laptop boots, and I dare not run anything 3D on it anymore.

Back then was also when the no drivers meme was made real for me even before I knew what memes were, fuck ATI's drivers. I remember having to use custom installers and shit just to get shit to work because the OEM ones sucked ass.
>>
>>52495723
negro, intel doesn't give a shit about the GPU side, they care about the AMD side, whatever that may be. As for your assertion that AMD was "nonexistent on laptop GPUs," I really doubt that.

A huge number of old laptops used ATI/AMD GPUs (if you're going to get technical, at the time they were ATI, not AMD, so I guess that "proves" your point but not really). My old HP pro laptop that I found in the garbage runs some shit ATI GPU alongside its dual core Centrino 2.2ghz chip.
>>
>>52495988

I tried a couple times to install new drivers but it absolutely refused to work with anything that wasn't the drivers made for it by HP

So I was using 2011 drivers in 2015.
>>
>>52494513

AMD CPUs are generally in HP laptops these days, kinda weird not seeing it much of anywhere else.

On the GPU side, their flagship mobile GPU is 2 years old at this point and barely as fast as a 970m.

Meanwhile, Nvidia's managed to cram a full desktop 980 in gaymen laptops now, and Intel's got desktop i5s and i7s in laptops now.

I'm really hoping Zen and Polaris make AMD relevant again but it's doubtful.
>>
>>52494513
AMDfags
>who care about the power consumption, the temperature and the performance per watts. we have good cooling
Meanwhile a full maxwell GTX 980 are in some laptops.
>>
File: lebait.jpg (14KB, 619x625px) Image search: [Google]
lebait.jpg
14KB, 619x625px
>>52494607
>>
>>52497019
>>52497049
>>
>>52497019
>Asus GX700
>Eurocom Sky DLX7
>Eurocom Sky X9
>MSI GT72S 6QF
>Schenker XMG U716
>Schenker XMG U726
>MSI GT72S 6QF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC2blnl0WTE
>>
>>52497196
>>52497049

>XD
>>
>>52494513
slow, hot, powerdraw
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.