[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/flt/ or Friendly Linux (GNU/Linux) Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 40

File: rebuttal.png (240KB, 740x5583px) Image search: [Google]
rebuttal.png
240KB, 740x5583px
Previously on: >>52476970

BSD, Mac, HURD, Plan9, or anything that doesn't run under Linux kernel, get out! This is only for OS running on Linux kernel, although we accept those who doesn't use GNU coreutils or glibc (busybox/musl libc, such as Alpine Linux).

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Dual-boot Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about Linux)
4) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic [it's reddit-tier] -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse/puke-inducing like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

Check out this page for any updates on the OP
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
whats the full command to install ubuntu desktop environment, the unity one, on debian?
everywhere on the internet i see its apt-get install ubuntu-desktop but its not working for shit
>>
File: 1437525067553.png (541KB, 3451x4477px) Image search: [Google]
1437525067553.png
541KB, 3451x4477px
>>
File: 1427850662838.png (220KB, 1559x1107px) Image search: [Google]
1427850662838.png
220KB, 1559x1107px
>>
>>52488232
Nice. Is there one like that for Arch?
>>
File: 1439380284406.png (969KB, 971x9621px) Image search: [Google]
1439380284406.png
969KB, 971x9621px
>>
Just tried Mageia on a whim. Man, this distro is nice. Definitely should be on baby's first linux list, but great for anyone, I would think. I'm sold. Anyone else use it?
>>
File: 1427769451328.png (1MB, 1500x2670px) Image search: [Google]
1427769451328.png
1MB, 1500x2670px
>>
Tell me how to make a fresh Arch install usable/comfy.

I'm not a babbie and have used Arch in the past.
I'm going to use a tiling wm, so i3 or Awesome?
>>
>>52488378
Why not both?
>>
is there anyway to prevent per application keybindigs? i want to migrate to linux but i got used to windows keybindings too much. moving to linux without them sure reduce my productivity. i have accomplished somehow but keybindings always get overwritten by current active program. example i use super + d to bring desktop. somehow it works when i am on desktop but it doesnt work when i use it while running another application.
>>
Why the fuck does plasma DE reset my windows every time I hibernate? Even just sleeping on RAM or logging off fucks everything up.

This is incredibly annoying and pretty much negates all the power of the DE functionality in the first place (who wants to set up several virtual desktops and activities every single login?).

Or do people who use this just never turn off their computers?

Rant, rant, rant...
>>
>>52488515
Write a script for placing your windows once and never place them by hand again.
wmctrl, devilspie
>>52488511
xbindkeys
>>
>>52488533
>wmctrl, devilspie
Thanks.

Do they work with all DEs?
>>
>>52488547
No.
>>
Timestams on youtube look like whales spitting water. what to do? i using firefox. also no audio. alsa and pulse audio are installed
>>
>>52488060
You remembered to sudo apt-get right?
>>
>>52488511
few apps use the win key. It's a key reserved for the wm. But yes there are a lot of shitty devs in the world, even in free world.
>>
>>52488738
Ah, nevermind then.

It looks like if I just lock and sleep only my screen it doesn't reset at least.
>>
>>52488777
im in as root user
>>
I want to keep secure boot enabled, it seems that all of the major distros ('buntu, mint, etc) support it, is there anything else I should worry about?

Is there a way to get normal (windows-like) audio on linux with minimal effort? I have a laptop with built-in speakers, and the sound just is so much worse with linux...
>>
Not directly thread related but asking nontheless:

What is a good and (advertisement) free email provider you guys use?
>>
Here's a cool thing you can do on Linux: Set up a proxy chain:
Polipo <- YaCy <- Privoxy <- Web browser

Polipo is a caching proxy, so it can speed up connections to slow websites. It also does pipelining and multiplexing to speed up connections further. Finally, you can set it to offline mode and browse websites without an Internet connection.

YaCy can be used as a local search engine that indexes any page you access through its proxy. Imagine you have a local Google search engine that works on your browsing history. Want to find that one page about penguins from a long time ago? Just look it up in YaCy.

Privoxy does anonymization and ad-blocking. It's extremely flexible (replacing multiple browser plugins), and you can reuse it between different browsers.
>>
>>52488896
>>52488060
anyone? :/
>>
>>52489395
Install Ubuntu
>>
>>52489472
its a very tough problem i cant install anything with a desktop environment, only managed to install the debian core and from that i could install kde but i need the unuty shit to make a program work
>>
>>52489129
Gmail.com
>>
>>52489129
I use gmail as my main and forward that to my other clients including my institutional email etc. It integrates well with my Android and backs up all my business contacts to their cloud.

I don't care if I'm botnetted. It's a quality service. I use googlenow too. Google knows all my work, home, lab and gym addresses. Amazon purchases etc. I also keep some personal and academic files on Dropbox and GoogleDrive. It makes them money and I get a nice service. Google generally does cool shit so if they sell my data I'm ok with that. A background check on me will reveal that what textbooks I buy and store cat picture-tier personal files on their could.

This is all of course on seperate platforms to my main PC which runs Arch Linux with encrypted home drives. I tell all my clients not to post sensitive IP on any public service, though they probably don't use platforms gapped from the botnet anyway so it can't really be helped. You will never have all your shit secure because there's always some idiot secretary who downloads some shitty social media client behind the companies firewall.
>>
>>52489009
Bumping this Anon's question.

I'm having a lot of issues getting my sound up and running. Don't really know where to start.
>>
managed to install a desktop environment on debian but it only changes the grub looks also after install it says: Current status: 102 updates (-2)
whats the problem?
>>
>>52489966
>whats the problem?
you are the problem
>>
>>52488250
I know the space is tight, but some of those arrows are in completely the wrong fucking place.
>>
Bunsen Labs is deprecated.
>>
>>52488060
https://wiki.debian.org/Ayatana/Packages
it doesn't work so easily because unity is a piece of shit.
>>
>>52490015
no u
>>
>>52490352
well, fuck...
i never understood why people offended unity but now i can see some reasons
thanks in advance
>>
http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20160114/install-amd64-minimal-20160114.iso

What's this? It only showed up four days ago.
>>
>>52488378
I'm using and loving bspwm. I had a bad experience with Awesome when I used it like 5 years ago. Haven't tried i3 yet.
>>
>>52488766
PAVUcontrol

In Output devices, make sure that whatever output you want sound to come out of is the fallback. Then, at Playback, change what device the sound of each application is coming out of.
>>
>>52490352
well most of the packages are not found for some reason and i added the ubuntu sites as source too and still nothing
>>
>>52488547
wmctrl works everywhere
>>
>>52490595
Don't do that, Unity doesn't work with Debian, it will just break your installation.
To get it working will require major changes across packages and I just don't see it happening any time soon or never.
So if you need to use it, just install Ubuntu.
If could even run it in a virtual machine if you need it just for a specific task.
>>
>>52490676
unless there is a core install of ubuntu like debian there is no way since no systems with graphic environments works on that shit laptop if its clean installed
windows works fine but asus fucks linux up
>>
>>52488314
11/10
>>
>>52490696
Ubuntu has minimal installs.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

The only way to get Unity to run on Debian is to compile and configure it yourself, it just doesn't work with vanilla Debian and needs patching.
Not only does Unity require tweaks, a lot of other packages do too because Unity depends on certain features not found on vanilla versions.
Last activity on porting Unity was in 2014
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609278
So it's a deadhorse at this point, since the requirements have just got worse since then.
>>
File: 1446769466462.png (295KB, 771x1875px) Image search: [Google]
1446769466462.png
295KB, 771x1875px
>>52488037
friendly reminder with sources instead of just opinions.

http://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
>>
>>52490823
So what would you actually suggest people use instead?

We shouldn't be driving around in cars powered by huge tanks filled with extremely fucking combustible liquids either.
But until batteries can hold the same capacity as a full tank, and until "quick" charging is actually fast, that's what people are going to use.
>>
>>52490884
There are perfectly fine operating systems in Windows and OS X for the home user. Don't be retarded.
>>
When I enabled the tray protection on Tray 2 (letterhead) it has prevented our Linux based ERP system from printing to that tray. Whenever it tries to send a job to Tray 2, it reverts to Tray 1 (non-letterhead paper).

I’ve removed the Tray protection for now as it is vital that the ERP system be able to print to letterhead.

If you have any solutions, I’d be happy to try them!
>>
File: 1447058059744.png (118KB, 1148x822px) Image search: [Google]
1447058059744.png
118KB, 1148x822px
>>
>>52490906
>perfectly fine
>any OS retarded users manage to fuck up or that spies on them
there is no good OS for "home users"
>>
>>52490918
>any OS retarded users manage to fuck
>implying Linux isn't 1000X worse for "retarded" users.

>or that spies on them
>telemetry means that M$ sends everything to the NSA!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>52490953
you can make GNU/Linux pretty retard proof compared to windows, just don't give them permissions.
mint is way more retard proof than windows. not sure about how retard proof mac os is nowadays.
>>
>>52490906
The source of your image disagrees.
>>
>>52490800
thank you so much
>>
File: Firefox_1.jpg (761KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Firefox_1.jpg
761KB, 1920x1200px
firefox on linux got suddenly slow scrolling
I used another smooth scrolling extension to fix it previously
but now its fucked again

anyone else?
>>
>>52491204
version?
works fine on iceweasel 45.0a2
>>
>>52491270
>>
I got a question.
If I were to connect a linux install to a Windows DC what packages would I need?
>>
>>52491398
DC as in domain controller?
you cant
>>
>>52491419
No silly, DC as in Direct Current.
>>
File: 1448029848597.jpg (7KB, 240x237px) Image search: [Google]
1448029848597.jpg
7KB, 240x237px
>tfw seed regularly (ratio revolving between 2.5 and 3.0, currently at 2.7)
>tfw don't want to go through the bullshit of private torrent tracker
>piratebay doesn't have any halfway decent rip of the movie i'm looking for
>rarbg as well
>katcr is kill since 2 days
>>
>>52488339
I tried using rtorrent, but it was really crappy for me and froze up with like 8 torrents.

Transmission has been smooth and simple.
>>
File: Screenshot.png (88KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
88KB, 1366x768px
how do i remove those gray things looks like separators from mate-panel? look at bottom right corner its ugly
>>
Hey friendos, I'm running debian stretch and my microphone doesn't work, it works fine on windows however. When i try to run mumble, i get many settings under the ALSA tab, but none work. Anyone had the same problem?
>>
>>52492868
which microphone? is linux-firmware-nonfree installed? does pavucontrol tell you anything about it being plugged in?
>>
BTW; there is nothing wrong with Zorin. Some self-appointed authority called it a "tiny weird project" and threw FUD in the air in the previous bread when a noob asked if it's worth considering. The guy obviously knows nothing about the system and was talking out of his ass and basically admitted it when he said he had never even heard of it. Jesus come quickly and collect these retards in a big sack.
>>
>>52492893
It's an headset mic, not installed, it says that the rear mic is plugged, and it is
I'll install linux-firmware-nonfree
>>
>>52492893
Nevermind, unable to locate package
>>
>>52492932
>>52492916
use the audio mixer and see if you can get it to work with it. in order to install firmware-linux-nonfree you need to enable non-free packages but i don't think that should be necessary for mics.
>>
>>52492960
You mean alsamixer?
>>
>>52488037
I wanna run linux in a vm on my macbook pro w/ retina. Whenever i've tried so far, there seems to be no way to get the resolustion to match that of my screen. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with stuff like this
>>
>>52488320
You're talking about the version that just came out? Tell me more.
>>
>>52493002
pavucontrol should be dafault in debian testing.
>>
>>52493006
sorry if this belongs to /sqt/
>>
>>52493033
It is but i can't change anything, on the input tab it's not catching any sound
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-18_18-47-49.png (39KB, 688x427px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-18_18-47-49.png
39KB, 688x427px
>>52493079
what about the configuration tab?
>>
>>52493104
Everything is unplugged
>>
>>52490176
Explain yourself.
>>
>>52493132
you are probably using the wrong plug then.
>>
>>52493143
But again, it works under windows without changing anything
>>
>>52493155
change the plug anyway. i had to switch around a bit aswell to find the right one but now everything works like a charm on both windows and debian.
>>
>>52493185
What do you mean by changing plug? Unfortunately my mobo only has one jack for the microphone
>>
>>52493216
Use a Schuko compatible plug.
>>
>>52493216
which mobo do you use?
>>
Anyone have issues burning discs in Linux?

I have an LG BDR burner, and I've tried several different burning programs.

CDRs burn fine every time
DVD-Rs will initialize the burn, but the drive will just spin the disc forever without actually doing any burning
BDRs won't even start burning

Is this a drive compatibility issue? I've tried several different distros. Burning in Windows works fine, so it's not a hardware failure.
>>
>>52493271
Asus h81m-k
>>
>>52493322
try the blue and the pink port and test a few settings in pavucontrol.
>>
>>52493375
Didn't work either, unfortunately
>>
>>52493320
what program do you use? i have never had issues with k3b. but if youre using ubuntu's default, last i heard, it was absolute shit
>>
>>52488037
I'm trying to implement my way of installed package tracking, so I have a file that contains the libraries that I want to have at minimum. I'm using this file to exclude the patterns in this file from installed package list using

yum list installed | grep -vf package_list

But this gets extremely slow when the package list grows. What alternatives do I have? I just want to see the list of packages that I installed over what I consider to be minimal.
>>
>>52493424
I've tried Brasero and k3b
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
>>52490909
>>
>>52488037
What distro would You Wizzards recommend for a programmer?
>>
File: 2016-01-18-101907_236x37_scrot.png (5KB, 236x37px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-18-101907_236x37_scrot.png
5KB, 236x37px
can anybody help with my firefox theme, the tabs are broken for any theme i chose
>>
The reason I stopped recommending Linux to "normal users" is _because_ of the concept of distributions.

Coupling the updates of single apps with the updates of the whole desktop or framework and libs, is just plain wrong. Having to upgrade the whole distro (including all the other installed apps you dont want to upgrade) just to install a new version of one single app you _want_ to update is a nightmare. Total bullshit. Users. Dont. Want. That. Users dont want one update to trigger another update, or even to trigger the upgrade of the whole desktop.

The blog post by ESR is one prominent example: http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=3822

He basically wanted to upgrade just one (obscure) app, and the process triggered the automatic removal of Gnome2 and installation of Unity. Just _IMAGINE_ how nightmarish this must look for normal users. You simply dont remove somebodys installed desktop sneakily from under their feet. You simply dont. That feels like the total loss of control over your computer.

I personally had, during the last 10 years, people go from Linux (which I talked them into trying) back to windows, _precisely_ of this reason, of having to upgrade the whole distribution every few months just to be able to get new app versions. They dont have to put up with this insane bullshit on Windows, why should they put up with it on Linux?

This "distribution" bullshit is not what is killing desktop Linux, it is what _already_ killed desktop Linux.

The other reasons why desktop Linux never made it (no games, no preinstallations on hardware) are imho just consequences of the distribution concept and the 6-month planned-obsolescence cycle. Nobody wants to bother with something which will be obsolete half a year down the road. Nobody wants to develop for a target that moves _that_ fast.

If anybody _ever_ really wants to see Linux succeed on the desktop (before the desktop concept itself is gone), he will have to give up on the distribution concept first.
>>
>>52492912
Installed Zorin OS for a special snowflake. She's been happy with it. It's a decent Linux out of the box for Windows migrants.
>>
>>52493503
>he thinks he's a programmer
>>
>>52493531
maybe _go_ one _sentence_ without _fucking_ underscores _faggot_
>>
>>52493531
>disliking updates
That's a bad windows habbit. Updates are good for you and everyone should update.
>>
>>52493531
Wrong thread I guess? This is a thread for people who want to switch/share lunix knowledge. Think/read the thread OP before posting, retard.
>>
>>52493522
your gtk theme is causing it
>>
>>52493531
Nice copypasta faggot
>>
>>52493320
I tried to burn discs first I had zero luck, tried multiple software including a proprietary one and formatable discs.

I ended up using a simple program that makes the iso into a bootable USB live media. Honestly ,if you have a space stick you will save yourself a lot of pain.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_flash_installation_media
>>
File: 1442613254641.png (757KB, 1198x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1442613254641.png
757KB, 1198x1200px
>>52493572
>>52493581
>>52493599
>>52493661
>>
>>52493522
Try
Exec=env GTK_THEME=Adwaita:light firefox
post results.
>>
>>52493684
>>52493572
>>52493684
>>52493599
>>52493661

Yeah, Linux is_PERFECT_. What a faggot to criticize it!
>>
>>52493531
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3716884
>>
>>52493732
also
>1402 days ago was just 2012-03-17

time fucking flies
>>
>>52493717
Meanwhile on windows:
>disabled updates to get rid of spying
>get free virus through security holes instead
>this is what users want
>>
>>52493781
I'll never get that Windows 7 with disabled updates is just fine meme. People can't be this retarded.
>>
>>52493536
There are other distros that are designed to feel Windows-like. The Makulu developer has put a lot of effort into that with his releases and has some good Windows theming (many versions) for those who like that type of thing. Makulu Aero looks pretty good, but Makulu is not a professional distro like Zorin. If I installed Makulu on a normie's system, I'd have to make changes to the pre-installed software.
>>
How thorough are package managers when removing packages? I'm inexperienced and I don't want to go into system directories to remove stuff left from packages I already removed. I'm aware that configs in home directory is usually left but what else is usually left?
>>
If the xbindkeys guy is still here, try https://github.com/baskerville/sxhkd
>>
File: 20160119_073706.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160119_073706.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
This looks great but why the fuck would I get this happen TWICE on drives that are fine, aka passing SMART, while compiling openwrt?
>>
>>52494219
>drives that are fine
They aren't
>aka passing SMART
That does not mean they're fine
>>
>>52493890
>but what else is usually left?
nutin.
everything that the package lists as files "belonging" to the package gets removed with it.
Configs are the only thing that stays
>>
>>52494256
But not only does it pass SMART, there's no indication of any errors at all.
I have had no other problems with the drives, I even rebuilt the RAIDs with no issue after the first time.
>>
Why is Linux so shit?
>>
>>52494484
because it's a monolithic kernel. we don't have a better alternative atm so it's the best we have right now.
>>
>>52494484
Hurd didn't have enough resources behind it
>>
>>52494219
>>52494440
have you read what your screens says?
are you just staring at it waiting for an answer?
if your drive hasn't failed. then there must be another reason that linux says the drives failed.
Have you rearranged drives in bios? physically rearrange drives? is your fstab just fucked up? Does openwrt support raid
>>
>>52494544
well to be exact they kinda stopped when linux became a thing, they started working on it again only a few years back and it's improving rapidly at the moment. guixsd will have a hurd version aswell as a linux version.
>>
>>52494512
Hi Tanenbaum, wanna start where we left?
>>
>>52494573
also the performance difference between a monolithic kernel and a microkernel was considerably larger with the hardware of the past.

With modern hardware it shouldn't be an issue
>>
>>52494654
>1992+26
>Linus is still engaging in flamefests
>>
>>52494558
I'm compiling openwrt, why would it need to support raid?
>>
Which modern games would work on Linux "out of the box" without learning wine etc?

I just want to test if my sound and Xorg configuration is working fine.
>>
>>52495278
all valve games are good to test because they are generally very good ports.
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1
>>
File: 1452724127042.jpg (2MB, 3218x1976px) Image search: [Google]
1452724127042.jpg
2MB, 3218x1976px
>>52490823
Giving a whole pile of complaints in an image file is an easy way to run away from arguments,
Try posting one reason at a time and I can talk. Also nitpicking an OS is very easy. That article is not recommending or comparing any OS. I can sit down and write one of those myself if I have the time.
>>
/g/entoos, i got a problem
i installed openbox on debian stretch, but when i pick it from the login screen, all i get is the cursor, nothing else
pls help
>>
>>52495769
right click
>>
>>52495769
That's how openbox is. See >>52495785
>>
How can I find out if fstrim is working, I do it and it doesn't print anything just returns me to command line, I've tried using the samsung magician software from AUR but that doesn't detect my SSD
>>
>>52495785
>>52495815
jesus christ
thanks for supporting my retardation
>>
>>52495823
Literally read the wiki. It handholds you on how to do it and tells you how to read it
>>
>>52495336
Thanks.
>>
>>52495831
it catches everyone off guard the first time they use it
>>
>>52495552
Start by explaining why freetards feel the need to push out unfinished, unpolished shit. Examples are GNOME 3, it was absolutely unusable for months and months after release. Same with KDE 5, which still isn't fully stable. Why not wait with the release till it's somewhat polished? Those constant rapid changes are one of the main reasons why Linux was never adopted on the desktop.
>>
>>52488304
Arch Wiki
>>
>>52495769
That means it's working.

Openbox (and most standalone WMs) doesn't come with anything except the WM itself. That means no panels, usually no wallpaper, no desktop icons, etc.

As a pro-tip, be sure to read the documentation of any standalone WM you plan on using BEFORE you launch into it. With most tiling WMs, for example, there's no obvious way to launch applications if you don't already know the keyboard combinations.
>>
>>52490823
Reminder this post is from a few years ago by a vapid redditfag.All information in it is grossly outdates or made up.
Source:Linux
>>
>>52495853
bacause the people that use GNU/Linux right now like new software and if they don't want to use something new they can use an older version.
>>
File: 1442162211245.gif (2MB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
1442162211245.gif
2MB, 550x413px
So I want to switch, but what distro should I choose? What is the BEST linux? Please help.
>>
>>52490823
>Gives link to an argumentatively insane write-up
>Expects people to take him seriously.
He has good evidence, but his argument is moot, as he doesn't say what a Desktop OS is. That write-up is the equivalent of me saying water is unhealthy, as drinking too much of it can have negative effects on your health. Although the evidence is true, it doesn't prove anything, as I never defined what "unhealthy" is. That's the problem with bashing. It doesn't help to drive your point. To do this properly would be to state what a Desktop OS is (This is providing an ideal alternative to compare to) or say that something is better (This is providing a real alternative to compare to). You cannot say negatives without saying why these negatives are negative.
>>
>>52495853
>Why not wait with the release till it's somewhat polished?
Use the stable version, sorry. Freetards do not have billions of dollars to invest and employ thousands of prajeets to test softwares. It is a community driven project. GNOME and KDE listens to their users MORE than Microsoft does.
Microsoft brought the abomination of metro start panel and still is stubborn enough for not getting rid of it. Meanwhile people are downloading classic shell just so they can use the OS they bought
>>
File: Ospicker.png (493KB, 3000x1568px) Image search: [Google]
Ospicker.png
493KB, 3000x1568px
>>52495935
The one i use
>>
>>52495935
The best linux is something you decide after trying out several of them. Stop spamming
>>
>>52495845
checked out the man page and added a -v to the command, everything worked I think trying the man pages is going to be my first idea from now on. thanks anon
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-QlAyrMRmMM

I want to know this song.
>>
>>52495769
>>52495831
smirked
>>
File: 1432220032224.jpg (116KB, 1278x736px) Image search: [Google]
1432220032224.jpg
116KB, 1278x736px
How to reproduce this on Linux? Or is it a windows only feature?
>>
>>52496031
Ask the fucking channel holy shit
>>
>>52495935
the one i'm using
>>
>>52495991
Manually running it daily is going to fuck it up.
Make s service file that executes the command, and then a timer that calls on it weekly
Or again just actually read the wiki
>>
File: rebuilding take2.png (38KB, 841x325px) Image search: [Google]
rebuilding take2.png
38KB, 841x325px
Whelp, when I built without building the SDK it finished compiling without panicing, the image was good and now my Buffalo WMR-300 has openwrt flashed on it.

Now rebuilding my array.
>>
>>52495935
The one my wife's son is using.
>>
>>52496052
on harsh workloads i only managed to make the entire X root window white by moving a window around.
but that's a craptop with ati gpu running opensource radeon driver.
don't know if you will be able to replicate it on another machine
>>
>>52495962
>GNOME and KDE listens to their users MORE than Microsoft
>saying this after the GNOME 3 fallout...

>Microsoft brought the abomination of metro start panel and still is stubborn enough for not getting rid of it.
They at least learned from their mistakes and brought back the start menu in Windows 10. GNOME still looks and works like from the beginning and people who complained only got told to fuck off and use another DE.
So much for "listens to their users".
>>
What are some good books on iptables?
>>
>>52496052
Don't use a compositor and make an app hang by e.g. sensing sigstop (Ctrl+Z) do it.
>>
>>52496134
the GNOME project really went downhill when they split off the fsf desu
>>
>>52496134
>I dont like the presented changes.
>im going to complain
>they said no
>i guess ill use the version i am already on that has no issues, and wait for backports
No one FORCED people to upgrade
>>
Questions: If GNOME is so shit, why the most distros ship it by default? Also why doesnt GNOME listen to it's users >filepicker as example. What philosophy is it to remove features in programs and add more bloat for eye candy?

Why dont we just all boycott these faggots?
>>
>>52496134
>brought back the start menu in Windows 10
You mean the hybrid cross of classic shell and metro apps? That's still bad
>GNOME 3
They can't change GNOME 3 into GNOME 2, (there's MATE just for that?) well have to wait till they come up with a newer family.
Like we waited for windows 10 after the disaster happened in 8. As it appears MS is not willing to let the appz go.
>>
File: 13702.png (6KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
13702.png
6KB, 256x256px
I have a totaly noob question/s. please dont kill me.

i have linux (manjaro) installed on an older PC (1GB ram).
i was wondering if i could take out the linux drive from the old machine and put it on a new one as an secondary boot. will it boot? will it detect all components properly?

any additional intel will help.
>>
>>52496189
Will try that, thanks!
>>
>>52496244
ye it will.
>>
>>52496230
>Also why doesnt GNOME listen to it's users >filepicker as example.
It was never implemented because in reality noone but imageboard users need such feature.

Just think, who else other than channers have a 1GB+ of random, unsorted pictures with cryptic names?
>>
>>52496230
Because you can choose not to use GNOME and install something else if you do not like the feature set they are going for.
Or simply use the older version of GNOME that is being backported. Or various other forks that support different changes.
No one is forcing you to use gnome.
>>
>>52496230
>Most distros ship it by default.
Other than Fedora, $distroName Gnome, and maybe other RedHat related distros, what ships with Gnome?
>>
>>52496244
Are you looking to dual booting to distros? If so, yes it is possible and Manjaro should detect your components with it's hardware detection tool
>>
>>52496277
>>52496305

thank you anons, also...

would you recomend manjaro with OpenRC.
is it any better than the default systemd?
>>
>>52496295
Actually, the filepicker was made for the GIMP project and already had thumbnail preview. That feature was just removed for other applications.
>>
>>52496230
It is true they should let the filepicker have a preview option.
With that said, you can easily install the KDE picker and integrate with your browser. This is the freedom GNU/Linux gives you
>>
>>52496339
yes
>>
>>52496357
>easily install the KDE picker
That's ~1 gigabyte of packages, nigger.
>>
>>52496230
GNU/Cocksucking

GNOME has "GNU" buried in its retarded acronym so they ship it. Gtk has ALWAYS been lgpl so they ship it. You don't want to hate freedom, do you?

>What philosophy is it to remove features in programs and add more bloat for eye candy?
You think they do this, but only because you haven't used a mac. Their philosophy is actually to copy whatever OS X is doing regardless of aesthetics or functionality.
>>
>>52496339
If you are new, stick to systemd.
OpenRC is actually one of the better features of manjaro.
Ethically it is, we do not want monolithic systemd to take over
>>52496378
kdebase-dialog is not 1G my nigger, you do not need the whole DE
>>
>>52496395
>>52496395
>you do not need the whole DE
You don't know how a DE works, nigger.
>>
>>52496395
39 deps for ONE application to preview an image
>NAH
>>
>>52496376
>>52496395

ive been using it with OpenRC (i does somewhat feel direct and forward, more clean anyway what do i know) but... i had problems updating it to newer version. maybe i was doing something wrong, maybe it requires special process to put on the new version i really dont know. will make further tests on why and how.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-18_18-16-10.png (244KB, 1117x830px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-18_18-16-10.png
244KB, 1117x830px
How can I change the default file picker for Cinnamon/GTK/Whatever?

If it can't be changed can I at least modify its behavior?

>moving the file picker window also moves the browser window
>typing to filter hides whatever doesn't match instead of moving the pointer to the first occurence (this... i cant even...)
>>
>>52496395
>If you are new, stick to systemd.
ahhahahh what
rc is WAY eaiser to maintan.Systemd breaks every update or fucks your login, and is horrible to diag
Oh where is the config i need to change,of there is 4 possible locations and 15 different processes to look for.
Fuck that shit
>>
File: 1439523509793.png (397KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1439523509793.png
397KB, 800x600px
'booting
>>
>>52496481
Are you running your system in a virtual machine? How many MB of space is left in your pc?
>>
>>52496513
dconf-editor
>>
>>52496447
Bye
>>
File: 1452618589843.gif (4MB, 426x284px) Image search: [Google]
1452618589843.gif
4MB, 426x284px
>>52496533
Thats beside the purpose. Im not installing 39 deps for ONE FUCKING PROGRAM THAT JUST PICKS A PICTURE.
My install is 7 years old and only takes up 11gb of the root partition.
There is no fucking reason for that. Why does it need its own icon pack? upower? docbook? docbook-xsl? libkactivites? libatasmart? libmobiledevice?o libusbmuxd? polkit-qt?
I dont need an entire new setup just for ONE fucking app
Pic related
>>
>>52496564
>implying
>>
>>52493732
>>52493531
Shared libs are dumb. What else is new.
>>
>>52496544
I'm not seeing any entries related, except gtk->settings->file-chooser but doesn't really have any relevant options
>>
File: 1436148556356.jpg (39KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1436148556356.jpg
39KB, 480x640px
I'm just leaving this here, enjoy.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
https://launchpad.net/~helkaluin/+archive/ubuntu/gtk2-filechooser-iconview
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/jkisielewicz/gtk2-filepicker-iconview/
>>
>>52496592
get your autism under control and try again later
>>
File: wut.jpg (279KB, 999x638px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
279KB, 999x638px
>>52490909
i'll bite.
any linux system that inst shit tier supports graphical file pickers. your statement may have been true 7 years ago
>>
>>52496695
>cant think of anything against said logic.
>post about autism
Yeah run on home boy
>>
>>52496690
>dependency: tumbler
no.
>>
File: 1423524873429.png (62KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1423524873429.png
62KB, 625x626px
>>52490909
>>52496715
>>
File: Screenshot_20160114_091915.png (406KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160114_091915.png
406KB, 1366x768px
>>52490909
EVERY Single thread there will be atleast ONE winnigger posting his dank memes
>>
File: 1450695355002.webm (3MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
1450695355002.webm
3MB, 1000x562px
>>52496690
>https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/jkisielewicz/gtk2-filepicker-iconview/
Glad I could help

>>52496769
it's gtk2 picker
both xfce and mate which use gtk2 happen to use tumbler as well
>>
>>52496801
File picker icons already work in Fedora 23 by default.
>>
>>52496715
gross
>>
>>52496850
:^) enjoi
>>
File: 1443041139349.jpg (50KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1443041139349.jpg
50KB, 2000x1333px
>>52496840
>>
>>52496715
post the lewd pls
>>
>>52496900
simply ebin
>>
>>52496715
I can't see thumbnails in your screenshot, faggot.
>>
>>52496934
lol fuck off nigger and get some glasses
>>
>>52495969
Optional dependencies for steam
lib32-mesa-dri: for open source driver users
lib32-catalyst-utils: for AMD Catalyst users
lib32-nvidia-utils: for NVIDIA proprietary blob users
lib32-alsa-plugins: for pulseaudio on some games

Topkek. But seriously though I should probably just get NVIDIA drivers right?
>>
>>52496955
a file preview is not a thumbnail retard
>>
>>52496900
https://installgen2.github.io/libspurdo/
>>
>>52496973
Didn't mean to qoute.
>>
File: 5SUzAMv.jpg (33KB, 604x463px) Image search: [Google]
5SUzAMv.jpg
33KB, 604x463px
>>52496973
of you use nvidia the only real option is the closed drivers, noveau is shit.
>>
>>52496978
>being this retarded
you really wanted to see what was behind those filenames faggot
>>
File: 1452924943933.png (71KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1452924943933.png
71KB, 500x332px
>>52496715
>hairy_asshole
Nice taste, faggot
>>
>>52496934
>>52496978
here's your reply
>>
File: hairy_asshole.jpg (172KB, 1241x326px) Image search: [Google]
hairy_asshole.jpg
172KB, 1241x326px
>>52497016
>>
Xubuntu 14.04 here.
How the fuck I make compose key work?
>nope, the google solutions are useless
>>
>>52497024
That's a file manager, faggot.
We're talking about the file-picker/chooser.
>>
>>52497014
>trying to change the argument cause you got owned
nice try kid
>>
>>52497057
fuck off! this is a fight thread! /flt/ Fight Linux Thread!
>>
>>52497065
See >>52496789
>>
>>52497074
Shut up nigger.
>>
>>52497080
see
>>52496378
>>
>>52497102
WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU CALL ME!
>>
How difficult would it be to replace Thunar with Nemo without a bunch of stuff breaking? I love Xfce with the exception of Thunar.
>>
>>52497113
see
>>52496395
>>
>>52497113
See >>52496801
And >>52496533
fucking cunt
>>
>>52497136
see
>>52496447
>>52496481
>>52496592
>>
>>52497123
sudo aptitude install nemo
never seen something breaking from using another filemanager.
>>52497057
what's a compose key?
>>
>>52497123
just leave them both installed and set nemo as your default, and shit that requires thunar will still be able to use it, it's either that or read up on everything on your system and see what things rely on a fm and if they can be pointed at nemo instead of thunar
>>
File: generic_fucking_image.jpg (80KB, 1300x863px) Image search: [Google]
generic_fucking_image.jpg
80KB, 1300x863px
>>52497070
>>52497016
i gues its time to tone down before i get b&. whatevs
i lose
>>
>>52497162
You know when you are on windows, you press left alt + 0153 on number pad and you get the trademark symbol. Left alt is the compose key.
>>
>>52497161
See >>52497147
>>
>>52497187
well on *nix that's shift+ctrl+u
>>
>>52496903
https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1850455?tags=chaika_trabant
>>
>>52496297
Antergos, Pinguy. and SteamOS. So not many.
>>
>>52496297
GNOME=GNOME
GTK=GNOME
>>
At least it's free. One can be angry about missing features, but they're not assholes for providing something for free.
>>
>>52497174
Thanks, that's really what I was worried about; now to figure out how to set a FM as default...
>>
I have a very huge ~/.bashrc file, can I use or source these with zsh? I would switch, but not if I need to rewrite everything just because zsh's independent scripting lang. I dropped fish for the same reason.
>>
>>52497422
>independent scripting lang
>>
>>52497450
Never quote me again until you have something to contribute to the thread.
>>
>>52497483
>memes
>>
>>52497422
[this post adds no intellectual input to this thread]
>>
>>52497483
I fucking did faggot
zsh is NOT fucking bash
Why would you think you could just up and copy all your BASH scripts and fucking past them in your .zshrc. You need to make mother fucking zsh functions.You nigger ass could have just fucking RTFM and found out your self
I quoted your nigger response as a message for you to read your own fucking words and learn from them.
Further more, telling someone to not quote you is and foremost, not constructive to the thread, or you getting help beyond you already getting your answer 2 minutes after you posted.
>>
>>52495769
That's how Openbox is by default, it loads really fast (it is 10mB installed).
>>
>>52497483
>never quote me again
>look everybody, I'm the boss of the internet
>>
>>52495853
>KDE 5, which still isn't fully stable.
Provide one example of Plasma 5's instability.

So far, when I used it:
>Sound worked
>I could set the paper with Dolphin
>It truly was lighter than KDE 4.4
>Vsync worked using full screen repaints
>Animations worked
>Theming worked
>Keyboard shortcuts worked
>A wacom kcm was developed

Everything just worked except for the occasional kwin_x11 crash
>>
Hey /g/uys, I just installed Antergos on my laptop and I can't connecto to my wifi. I can see the network, but when I click on it I don't get any prompt to enter the password. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>52497546
Use bash or fish, don't try something unless you read the manual, you fucking retard :^)
>>
>>52497784
Is gnome keyring installed?
>>
>>52497795
Im not the nigga being a faggot. Im already using zsh comfortably. Learn to link
>>
>>52497741
>Everything just worked except for the occasional kwin_x11 crash
anon its not the year 2000 and yet KDE5 is still Windows ME tier
>>
>>52497817
I have no idea. I'm a super noob.
>>
If not then i recommend opening a terminal and executing

sudo wifi-menu

If you have one card then it should select that one, you'll see a list of networks and you can choose which one to connect to.
>>
>>52497872
In terminal, enter
pacman -Qi gnome-keyring
>>
I'm using Pale Moon (on Xubuntu) and I want to be able to play the most up to date Flash and HTML5 stuff, which Pale Moon doesn't normally support. So I downloaded Scriptish, Viewtube, and Mozplugger. Viewtube says it can replace Flash with the HTML5 player or a separate plugin, such as Mplayer run through Mozplugger. Everything seems to be installed and up to date, but running videos on Youtube I still see the Flash Player. What did I do wrong?
>>
>>52497844
Oh ard, cuz.
>>
>>52497907
Have you installed ubuntu-restricted extras?
>>
>>52497904

Ok, I just installed it and now it works. You da man, anon.
>>
>>52497907
You have to go to https://www.youtube.com/html5 and set "html5" as the default player.
>>
What's the minimum size my Mint partition has to be to be viable?
>>
>>52497927
I just did that and it didn't change anything. Do I need to configure the Viewtube script to work with Pale Moon somehow?

>>52498005
The idea is to use Viewtube and Mozplugger to embed mplayer into the browser instead of using Flash or HTML5, which are poorly supported by Pale Moon.
>>
>>52498088
Viable for what? I'd say 30GB minimum.
>>
>>52498088
A little bigger then the amount of programs you want to install
Are you using 32bit programs where you have to double up on all your libs?1
>>
I have two hard drives. Can I install Fedora on one and Debian on the other and boot from them independently? Will they interfere with each other?
>>
>>52498208
no, they will not.
>>
How do I install icecat in gentoo?

./configure says something about not being able to build packages in the source directory and the make command says "gmake: *** [build] Error 2"
>>
>>52498208
If you have vga passthrough yes.
>>
>>52497698
Never quote me again is a /tv/ meme, newfag.
>>
>>52498433
>being a reg on /tv/
/tv/ is a wasteland bruh
>>
Pls help I just formatted this disk as ext but ubuntu tries to mount it as NTFS

forcing with '-t ext4' doesn't work either
>>
>>52497546
Sorry, but you're wrong. You can run bash script in zsh. Read your manual before posting, nigger.
>>
>>52498415
What does VGA pass through have to do with hard drives?
>>
>>52498458
I fucked up in that screenshot this one is what I want
>>
>>52498458
What
fdisk -l /dev/sda
says? AS ROOT
>>
>>52498490
the top of that screenshot is the result of that
>>
>>52498484
So you can boot the other os on the 2nd gfx card?
You would have bother instances up at the same time
>>
>>52498128
>The idea is to use Viewtube and Mozplugger to embed mplayer into the browser instead of using Flash or HTML5, which are poorly supported by Pale Moon.

I'm honestly not sure about using mplayer.
>>
>>52498508
>/DEV/SDA*1*
>>
>>52498175
I could install the programs in another partition if needed, I just want to install the OS itself in my SSD.
>>
>>52498458
Did you fucking put a filesystem on it?
>>
>>52498555
I might try and set it up like that on Firefox and see if Pale Moon was the problem.
>>
>>52498573
nope, I though fdisk did it for me lol

fixed it now thanks faggot
>>
>>52498508
No it isn't.
>>
So why do freetards say how much f.lux is shit when redshift can't even lower brightness with keyboard buttons?
>>
>>52498598
Failbait.
On Linux we set our own hotkeys.
>>
>>52498572
My / is only 11gb.
So honestly 30gb is more then enough, 20 if you know you wont install 32bit install and have to double up your libs
>>
I'm trying to dual boot windows 10 and xubuntu but currently my USB has a history of hating dual booting and that shit. It ends up failing to boot off it with different programs. Does anyone know how to stop this? Or should I get a new USB to try dual booting with? (not sure if this goes in SQT or this thread btw)
>>
>>52496513
Is your default file manager nautilus? Because that now defaults to searching recursively when you type, rather than jumping to the first match.
You might be able to disable it depending on your distro, but Debian stable definitely cannot. Try switching to nemo as default instead.
>>
>>52498485
>program output literally tells you exactly what the problem is
>still beg for help
Linux users, everybody.
>>
>>52498918
>output litterally gives you many random guesses as to what is wrong
>faggot still says this is useful information
retards everybody
>>
>>52498639
It says on its own page that the brightness setting isn't that good and better off just using the settings on the monitor. F.lux handles it fine.
>>
So I just installed fedora 23 with kde. It's my first linux install and everything is perfect, except that it wont detect my bheringer uac202 usb sound card. Google search suggest I use system config souncard, but the terminal says that the command doesnt exist. I also used alsamixer and switched it to usb audio codec with f6 and still nothing happens. Any idea of what to do?
>>
>>52499643
Install pulseaudio
>>
>>52499660
already have it according to yumex
>>
>>52499660
how the fuck is that going to change anything?
>>
>>52499660
>>52499665
>>52499711
Nevermind, I fixed it by making a file called .asoundrc containing
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 0
}
ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 0
}
>>
I have windows 7 installed a disk, after installing debian 8 on a separate disk, I can no longer boot Windows 7, the system greets me with a 'startup repair' error message (which doesn't actually load).

If I disconnect the Debian 8 disk, I can boot windows without a hitch, but I cannot boot both systems while the disks are connected simultaneously.

I took the precautions to write the MBR on both disks separately while installing each system, and they do both separately, but I don't know what could be causing this issue, I assume it's some gay windows issue because GNU/Linux boots normally even with the 2 disks connected simultaneously.

Wat do?
>>
>>52499777
Forgot to mention that I changed the card number from 0 to the appropriate number, in this case being 3
>>
Someone in another thread claimed Richard Stallman died. I can't find any source on that and the thread seems to have halted.

Is it true, guys? Is RMS gone?

>>>52495591
>>
>>52499787
Have you set the boot order in your bios?
>>
>>52499802
>I can't find any source on that and the thread seems to have halted.
You just answered your own question.
>>
>>52499805
Yes, I've also tried overriding the boot order by selecting the disks manually, Windows doesn't work when both disks are connected, Debian boots just fine even if both disks are connected, it's a pain in the ass to disconnect the Debian disk each time I want to boot into wangblows.
>>
File: freedroid.png (407KB, 802x605px) Image search: [Google]
freedroid.png
407KB, 802x605px
Anyone else here /linuxgames/?

Been playing FreedroidRPG for years. Love it.

A game I used to play when I was a kid, Slune, has been abandoned. I downloaded the source code and once I know how to code I'm gonna bring it back.
>>
New to linux, how do I get awesomewm to open with startx?
>>
>>52499964
exec awesome
>>
>>52499964
Put
>>52499981
in your .xinitirc
>>
>>52499981
>>52500003
Thanks!
>>
>>52499861
>>52499787
Sounds like windows is scanning for hardware, found the harddrive then tried to mount it.
It's doing this at startup because it's perfectly reasonable to have the DATA partition containing your profiles on a separate disk to windows itself.

It's finding the ext4 or whatever format your linux drive is using, and shitting the bed thinking it must be a corrupted drive.

I have no idea how to fix that though, maybe BIOS settings?
>>
Why isn't online compile libraries a thing? I've been messing around to compile a simple program that didn't have a configure. I read the readme file and I downloaded the requirements and their +30 dependencies, and still had problems. I could've avoided them if there was a great sea of libraries online that I could use to compile things. Is this so, because you may not be able to run the program? But then why isn't there a universal method for installing packages that a program depends on during compilation?

Are these too much to ask? I just recently migrated to linux and I'm having problems with huge number of packages.
>>
>>52500003
* .xinitrc

remember:

X init(ialization) rc (file)
>>
>>52500115
member people mike typos and if you say you dint you're either an android or a flamming faggot. He got it working anyhow cunt
>>
Anyone use Kubuntu 15.04 here?

I keep experiecing le retarded bug with Plasma 5(presumably),

Where
1) Shutdown/sleep/restart buttons do not work, can only restart/turn off pc using buttons on the case
2) Directly after there the screen is black after Kubuntu logo. Can still access the login screen with alt - f1 though
>>
>>52500176
he said "thanks," not that he got it working, motherFUCKER

(sorry for being unfriendly everyone)
>>
Is Xscreensaver secure?

Like, if my laptop were stolen, could a determined person bypass the login?

Drive is encrypted, so I know booting from a livecd isn't an option, and that "backspace 28 times" thing was a meme by Windows/Macfags thinking we'd been knocked down a peg.
>>
>>52500017
Sounds like what you're describing might be the issue, I already attempted to fiddle with the BIOS settings like boot order and overriding the boot device, I even disabled UEFI boot support just to be safe, without any success.

It's weird, I've been using both systems simultaneously for years and I never ran into this issue.

I'm going to attempt to boot the startup repair utility from an external win7 usb and then run 'bootrec /fixmbr' with both disks connected to see if it's any good, will report back with results if I manage to make it work.

I tried looking up the issue online but this is mostly an issue that happens to people who overwrite the whole windows installation, or somehow write some important bootup data to a secondary disk, in my case, the second disk (debian) wasn't even connected while installing windows 7. What a travestite of an OS.
>>
>>52500224
It had an exploit in it a few years ago where if you pressed alt + num lock it bypassed the lock state.
I use slock you dont need all thats fancy shit just for a session lock
>>
New Thread! We've got a new thread over here!

>>>52500298
>>>52500298
>>>52500298
>>>52500298
>>>52500298
>>>52500298
>>
>>52500257
I use it because I like the animations. Could I run it with slock? I feel like that would require putting my password in twice.
>>
>>52500236
Yeah, these problems are normally are due to having both boot partitions on the same physical disk.
Pretty funny that actually segregating things as far as possible still results in fuckups.

I guess I'm keeping linux in a VM until I have a fresh desktop to play with.

Should also mention, you might wanna look up how many reconnect cycles (mechanically) your sata connectors are rated at.
They're typically no more than 200, so be careful you don't wreck the drive while you're testing.
>>
>>52500331
no slock is an xscreensaver replacement that just locks the screen.
>>
>>52500224
There are basically two types of screenlockers:

1) Locks the current virtual terminal session (aka the current TTY)
2) Locks all virtual terminals

Xscreensaver is of the first kind, which means that someone can alt+ctrl+F2 (or anything up to F9 or so) into a different terminal session. Of course, if that session hasn't been messed with, they'd have to login.

Most screenlockers that you'll come across are of the first type. Lockers packaged with display managers tend to be the second type.

In terms of "is Xscreensaver particularly more vulnerable than other screenlockers?", I'd say no. It's pretty secure for what it is, which is why it ships with most things and is literally the default X screensaver/locker.
>>
>>52500411
Sweet. Glad I don't need to give up my pretty colors in the name of security.

ctrl-alt-f2 takes you to a terminal login, yeah. No legitimate ways past it.

And most people I know wouldn't even now what the fuck to do at a terminal login screen.
>>
>>52500338
Good news, I managed to make it work by running 'bootrec /rebuildbcd' from the startup repair option, I still receive the 'startup repair' error message and I can't get rid of it, but I can boot into win7 aside from that. Thanks for the SATA connector tip, I presume you mean the SATA connector on the end of the disk, and not the cables, right?
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.