[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dad has a successful server hosting company. What would be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: dedicated_server_hosting.jpg (132KB, 960x461px) Image search: [Google]
dedicated_server_hosting.jpg
132KB, 960x461px
My dad has a successful server hosting company.

What would be a good major that correlates well to his business for college? All I can think of is computer engineering but I'm too stupid for that.
>>
>>52486380

Network engineering
>>
>>52486411
Thanks, I'll look more into it. Hopefully it's nothing as difficult as computer engineering and it isn't similar to CS.
>>
>>52486411
Fuck, so far the two colleges I want to go to don't offer this major. Seems somewhat uncommon.
>>
>>52486411
> This
and get a side of Systems Administation and you should be good
>>
>>52486669
>>52486501
if any school has that, it's most likely going to be a concentration within computer science.
>>
>>52486380
>I'm too stupid
Digital Marketing.

You don't need to be smart and actually it can get you decent money if you're careful and lucky with your career plan. #1 job is getting out of being frontline and into management.

Don't try and be an engineer if you want something easy - often you'll be asked to fix stuff made by braindead morons that goes beyond the call of what you were taught would happen in ideal circumstances, it's just a pain.
>>
>>52486803
I want to utilize my dad's success and take advantage of my fortunate position. would that be helpful for this?

I want a medium difficult major, nothing too hard, but unfortunately there is so little info on SysAdmin and Network Engineering, and I really dont want to get into comp sci. Fuck.
>>
>>52486845
Marketing is critical to growing a business, and it's especially overlooked by the current generation of business owners (typically baby-boomers) like your dad.
>>
Business major.
You're going to own it not work there as some random employee right?
>>
>>52486380
is your dad passionate about what he's doing?
>>
>>52486970
Yeah, true, I'm thinking about minoring in that. I want to focus more on the fundamentals of his business however whereas I think a business major is a bit more broad.
>>
>>52486990
yes, been around for awhile, and doing very well.

The problem is I don't know what to major in and I'm not very smart (3.3-3.4 gpa) so I'm limited.
>>
File: 1446187533361.png (365KB, 1474x1042px) Image search: [Google]
1446187533361.png
365KB, 1474x1042px
Get a business degree, and read cert material on the side.
>>
>>52487763
Oh, and try ask your dad if you can work in the company while studying to rack up some field related experience.
>>
>>52486380
>What would be a good major that correlates well to his business for college
Accounting leading to a MBA.
If he's making money he'll need someone to count it for him.
Also, MBAs get paid multiples of what a coder gets.
>>
>>52487763
This is me:
> Bachelor of Economics
> MBA (part-completed, deferred)
> reading for CCNA by year end
>>
>>52486742
How about business then, or management. His company is already succesful, so you just need to take over the reigns
>>
Business Information Technology
>>
Depends on what you want to do. If you want to manage and take over the company well business is the answer. I would get a business degree anyways and read CCNA material on the side. It never hurts to know more.
>>
>>52486380

You are in a very privilaged position Anon. Tbh I would ask your dad to let you work even as an intern and learn from real life and gain experience. Do your study on the side. The intershits is full of knowledge you just need to know what you'll need.

I've started my career as an intern in highschool mainly because i knew Perl and MySQL. After my internship, right before going to college my employer offered me a full time job. It's been 5 years now, I'm currently working as a .Net Developer (company requirement) and 3rd Line Service Team Leader. Started CS this year only to see what missed me in college. As for now i can tell you - not much really.

If you need to study pick something that will teach you how to successfully run a company. This knowledge will be far more relative to you in the future.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.