[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

E-READER GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: kindle-voyage-in-hand-510px.jpg (36KB, 510x508px) Image search: [Google]
kindle-voyage-in-hand-510px.jpg
36KB, 510x508px
I want to get a e-reader for dat sexi e-ink but I read mainly color batman comics. Ereaders also seem to small for this, even if it was in B&W. Look at how tiny the Kindle Voyage is in this hand! Pathetic! What does anon do? My tablet is old and slow and not good for reading with the 60hz flicker.
>>
>>52479691
Buy another tablet. You want to read color comics. An ereader is shit for that. They barely handle manga. They are for text. Almost any tablet would be better as long as it had say an SD card for expandable storage.

If you do want an ereader - For books that is - go with a paperwhite or kobo glo HD
>>
>>52480108
its hard on the eyes to read a regular display vs e-ink
>>
>>52481206
Then he should buy the damn physical comics.
>>
>>52481395
>physical media
>>
What's the best e-reader for manga?
>>
>>52481603
Sizes avalaible
13"
Sony DPT-S1
8"
Pocketbook Inkpad
Illumina XL
6.8"
Kobo Aura HD
Kobo H2O
>>
>>52479691
Its not that color e-ink e-readers don't exist..
>>
>>52479691
Sounds like you don't really need an e-reader.
>>
>>52481797
Well 13'' is a little bit big.
>>
File: well.jpg (34KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
well.jpg
34KB, 350x350px
If you need color an e-reader is not for you.

The Kindle Voyage renders text and grayscale graphics very well, the resolution is on par with the best tablets and smartphones out there. But it's still grayscale, and for comics, the screen is rather small, and e-ink's slow response time also means that zooming and scrolling doesn't work very well.

Go with the tablet.
>>
>>52481797
And what's the best?
>>
>>52481395
grampa, please. take your medicine.
>>
>>52479691
>batman comics
Kill yourself
>>
>>52482226
sometimes its fun to act like a kid again :)
>>
>>52482058
Budget? Continent?
Both 8" readers use Android and are hard to import if not in Europe. A bit less difficult to import if you're in USA. Illumina XL is newer and I like what I see in reviews.

Got a Kobo H2O and it's good enough. Koreader made it better but not by much. Wish it was bigger though.
>>
>>52479691
I have a Kindle Voyage and its great for books, but I wouldn't recommend it for comics. It can render static images with OK clarity, but its not a color display.
>>
Does anyone use a paperwhite for manga? I want to get one primarily for books but it still would be nice to have the option for both. I don't really want to deal with Kobo since I hear their customer service is shit and H2O is expensive.
>>
>>52482486
Just tried it out with my PW3. Converted with Kindle Comic Converter to mobi. It seems to render fine and looks good, plus you can zoom in. It probably won't look as nice with cheaper kindles due to lower ppi.
>>
>>52482794
Cool. PW3 is what I've been leaning towards. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>52481206
>its hard on the eyes to read a regular display vs e-ink
e-ink is fantastic for books, but it's really not worth it for extensive pdf/image usage.

I bought a kobo HD to try that (I had a kindle keyboard before). It's a damn nice upgrade because everything is so crisp, but I only read text on it right now. E-readers are too slow to play around with pdfs/images, especially if you're zoomed in and dragging around.

Besides the speed, I still think 6.8" inch is too small for images, particularly when you can't zoom in and drag around practically.
>>
File: DPT-S1-Digital-Paper-PDF-Reader.jpg (55KB, 538x560px) Image search: [Google]
DPT-S1-Digital-Paper-PDF-Reader.jpg
55KB, 538x560px
>>52479691
Gi hard or go home I got a dpt-s1 and it's pretty fucking cool for b/w... but it costs 799.99
>>
>>52481603

What's some good manga to read on my SP3?
>>
File: 20160114_070941.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160114_070941.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>52482906
Here's a pic from battletech
>>
>>52479691
Do we have a cheaper alternative to the Kobo H2O yet?

It's winter and I take my e-reader to commute with me, and I'm starting to worry my e-reader won't last much longer since it's probably getting condensation from this.

Wouldn't be bad to be able to read when there's light snow/rain either, but I don't know about dumping $180 into a Kobo reader considering their shit customer support.
>>
File: 20160112_063950.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160112_063950.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>52482906
I don't know how to rotate on my phone. This is from a pathfinder book.
>>
>>52482945
There's a waterproof nook, but apparently the firmware is shit and B&N isn't doing too hot on ebbok selling.
>>
>>52482906
2slow, poor blacks, useless pen
>>
>>52482987
It's the only game in town.
>>
>>52483016
http://noteslate.com/
>>
>>52482945
>Wouldn't be bad to be able to read when there's light snow/rain either
sounds comfy tbqh
>>
>>52483071
6.8 inches? Not comparable.
>>
>>52483071
Also not even out.
>>
>>52482869
>e-ink is fantastic for books, but it's really not worth it for extensive pdf
Fucking bullshit. This was true maybe a couple years ago, but with koreader pdfs look fucking amazing on my kobo glo hd.
>>
>>52483754
maybe you should read the rest of my post. It's not about how sharp/crisp the e-reader is, it's the snail processor on the e-readers. Great battery life, but they're just not made to handle PDFs unless you don't ever have to zoom in.

Maybe not a problem with comics, but with most book PDFs, not zooming in on those tiny font size would just be a different kind of eye-strain. In those cases, you'd be better off with a tablet and just turning down the brightness to the lowest.
>>
I want to build a super low-power laptop that lasts for weeks or months using an ARM SoC and an e-paper display. Are there any decent 11"+ epaper panels out there for tinkerers to play with?
>>
>>52483858
What I am telling you is there is no need for zooming in when you use koreader. If you really need to, you can turn it to landscape mode, but I have yet to find a pdf that wasn't completely readable even in portrait mode.

The default pdf viewer is absolute dogshit, but with koreader it is easily comparable with the epubs in nickel in terms of readability. And the refresh takes just as much time as refreshes for epubs in nickel (less than half a second) so I have no fucking idea what you are on about there either.

It is true that I only use book pdfs with one column though, I have no idea which pdfs you are trying it on.
>>
File: che-stallman-tshirt-show.jpg (40KB, 350x465px) Image search: [Google]
che-stallman-tshirt-show.jpg
40KB, 350x465px
I want to get a e-reader for a while now. Are there e-readers which run free (open source) software? Or even beter an open source hardware e-reader? What is the e-reader that RMS recommends?
>>
>>52483858
You can rotate to landscape on the kindle so that the font is larger.
>>
>>52483998
>implying RMS is literate
>>
>>52483975
>I have no idea which pdfs you are trying it on.
textbooks and journal articles.

If I had to read those again, I'd just get a cheap tablet next time around if only because color is sometimes essential (color-coded graphs or whatever) with some pdfs.

PDFs on e-readers are more of a bonus/extra feature for me, but not really a strength.
>>
>>52484212
Then I have no idea what you have problems with, since our usecases are literally the same. You do use koreader, right?
>>
any e readers good for reading music notation pdfs? i'm thinking of getting a kindle dx due to its larger screen size for viewing full page pdfs
>>
>>52484239
>You do use koreader, right?
no, I figure that's where the issue is but I'll try that before I buy a tablet.

probably will still buy a tablet anyways if there's a good sale.
>>
>>52483998
I think there was supposed to be a rockbox equivalent for Kindle readers now.
>>
>>52484384
Do try it. I can promise you that you will be pleasantly surprised by how much of a difference koreader makes.
>>
>>52479691
>but I read mainly color batman comics
you should just kill yourself or grow up
>>
>>52483071
>watch demo
>not pressure sensitive
>drops lines like fucking crazy
>at least a 300ms delay
looks like complete fucking shit dude
>>
>>52483754
koboglhd friend here
any reason to root/install koreader? I'm perfectly satisfied with the current reader and its features
does rooting bring the games back?
>>
>>52484570
Well you don't really root your kobo, you just install startmenu and koreader by placing a script in the root directory of the reader and you are pretty much done. It also coexists perfectly with nickel so there are practically no disadvantages, and you also practically cannot fuck it up.

If you ever plan on reading anything other than (k)epubs I would strongly recommend it, since it supports pretty much any format you can throw at it and it actually makes a world of difference for pfs/djvus.

And yes, I am pretty sure you can also install games on your kobo, but you don't need koreader for that (just startmenu probably?).
>>
>>52483071
> watch video
>sausage fingers/arms
>vomit and run away screaming
Not really into the form-factor personally.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.