[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Atom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: even used by grannies.png (97KB, 777x289px) Image search: [Google]
even used by grannies.png
97KB, 777x289px
I haven't heard much in here about Atom... is there any compelling reason why /g/ doesn't use it?

>inb4 le botnet
Yes, we know but we have some population here who doesn't care about the le botnet meme...
>>
>>52469313
I think the general consensus was that it is too bloated.

>having a text editor built around around a browser
>>
I love it. I wrote a plugin for Atom that pushes my code changes to my remote compile server every time I save. That way I can do work on the go but not wait the ~30 minutes it would take on my laptop and instead get results in a few seconds.

Sure I can just use Vim over SSH but a GUI is nice. I just wish Atom didn't destroy my battery.
>>
I use vim. The author actually cares about people in need instead of just paying for stockphotos of women.
>>
>>52469357
>I wrote a plugin for Atom that pushes my code changes to my remote compile server every time I save
well we're on /g/ so i guess this is okay
>>
>>52469328
I was about to post the apparent slowness of it though I held back because I thought it was only on my system...

I'm not too familiar on why they built it around a browser though... is it mostly cons than pros?

ps. to be honest the only reason I tried this was because it looks nice and looks configurable...
>>
used to be too bloated, even on my xeon 6 core mac pro 2013 it was fucking slow. Now its pretty buttery smooth on all my devices.
1.0.3-1.3.0 was a significant upgrade when I finally came back around to it.
>>
>>52469374
>why they built it around a browser though

It makes it automatically portable. Java had the "write once, run anywhere" meme for years and never actually delivered.

As shitfuckingtastic as JavaScript is, you can deliver an application as JavaScript bundled in a browser and it literally does run anywhere.
>>
>>52469374
>I was about to post the apparent slowness of it though I held back because I thought it was only on my system...
It comes with what is essentially a browser so that then runs the Javascript. Basically CPU engineers give programmers amazing new power every year and all programmers do with it is waste it on even more inefficient abstractions.
>>
>>52469398
What nonsense, the equivalent of Atom would be every Java application coming with the JRE for the appropriate system.
>>
>>52469383
>buttery smooth
Can't unhear that guy from Android Jellybean presentation at Google IO '13
>>
>>52469419
Which would undoubtedly only work on one platform.
>>
I don't do web dev, so I don't see any bonus to running a web browser for my text editor.

And as far as text editors go, atom is not that great.
I use kate instead.
>>
>>52469313
atom to emacs == mac to linux
>>
>>52469398
>write once run anywhere meme
it's not a meme
>never actually delivered
it delivered
>>
File: Hardcore.gif (2MB, 360x168px) Image search: [Google]
Hardcore.gif
2MB, 360x168px
I use it solely for this add-on
>>
>>52469635
What add on is this?
>>
>>52469713
https://atom.io/packages/activate-power-mode
>>
>>52469313
Hm, let's see...
>220 mb download for a text editor
>Google Analytics plugin and it can't be really removed
>Sluggy
>can't open bigger files than few mb, good luck checking that log file or that average json dump/SQL dump/XML typesetting file
>AltGr is fucked

And last but not least, it's made by Github, the company that bans users & repositories for unforeseeable reasons.
The company that can't into software, with a website that shows you a merge button if not logged in that goes to 404.
The company that kicked their nearly functional git client in favor of a less functional one that is a slow piece of shit for the same reason Atom is slow and that apparently can corrupt branches.
>>
File: 12351237846125.png (311KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
12351237846125.png
311KB, 512x512px
>Visual Studio Code > Atom
Plebs plz
>>
>>52469635
This is really, really tacky.

It's also really fucking cool.
>>
You are not hearing about it because /g/ is a board of neet neckbears.

When you have all the time and none of the money, arguments like "it only takes a week to become productive in X" or "but Y doesn't use 200MB RAM" start seeming plausible.
>>
>>52469398
Java runs on more systems than a complete modern browser.

And Atom runs on barely any platforms, especially compared to Vim, which runs on everything.
>>
>>52469440
>>52469398

>>52469517
this to be sincere kin

Ironically there is this text editor jEdit that beats Atom (and probably even vim and emacs) in every regard except GUI and theming, because it was made by sperglords not caring for software ergonomy.
>>
>>52469867
Visual Studio Code isn't a general purpose text editor, its a gimmick for writing apps for Azure on non-windows.
>>
>>52469313
vim justwerks
>>
>>52469839
I guess I'm returning back to Nano (didn't really leave... it was really just like for 2 hours or something). The filesize limit did it for me...
>>
>>52469839
>Google Analytics plugin and it can't be really removed
Haha really?
You're telling me a text editor sends usage data to fucking Google?
>>
>>52470077
why nano?
I guess it is fine over ssh but it is not that good an editor for editing local files.
Kate and gedit is vastly better than nano for local files none of those limits affect those.
>>
>>52470174
I'm just using lightweight editors because I don't really code big at home... just simple stuff like your own password manager or a bot for Bloc...

I literally downloaded Atom without thinking about it. I just read something about it and downloaded it. Then wondered why I don't hear about it here...
>>
>>52470326
okay... just find it funny that people here think that the choice is between nano or atom.
A full IDE is more lightweight than atom.
>>
>>52469313
It's very bloated and slow. There's not really a reason to use it anymore. If you want the Git integration just use VSC. If you want a real text editor just use GNU/Emacs like everybody else.
>>
>>52470077
why nano instead of emacs?
>>
>>52470174
Does Gedit or Kate even have a text version like Nano and Emacs?
>>
>>52470120
>Haha really?
>You're telling me a text editor sends usage data to fucking Google?
Yes.
https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/4966
>>
>>52470448
I just like something simple. I'll write something and be done with it. Emacs is great as they say but I don't need 99% of it on what I do so didn't really bother learning it through...
>>
>>52469839
>220mb too much for your 60gb hard drive?
>it can be disabled
>too much for your pentium 4? >works on my machine (tm) :^)
>using any text editor to view large files >not just head/tail -n'ing
>https://atom.io/packages/altgr

I do agree that github is a terrible website, and their tos is retarded, but atom is actually pretty good. Their github tos doesn't mean that atom is bad. You really should give it an honest try.
>>
>>52470591
Fair enough.
>>
>>52470604
>220mb too much for your 60gb hard drive?
I'm all for efficiency and good craftmansship.
Many of those 220 mb will be loaded at runtime, clogging the CPU pipeline with things that only make sense in a webbrowser.
>it can be disabled
It can't be removed, so even if it looks disabled you have no way to be sure.
>too much for your pentium 4? >works on my machine (tm) :^)
Not if you load big enough files. It craps my i7.
>using any text editor to view large files >not just head/tail -n'ing
The retards way.
>https://atom.io/packages/altgr
The jQuery script kiddie mentallity. Defending your shitty architecture with opt-in hacks.
They just should have started right from the beginning.

The whole software is rickdiculous and poor craftsmanship.
Instead of SJWing and browserloving, they should have written their own native platform-independent widgetset and implemented their editor with this, like any multi-zillion dollar company should have done.

Look at it like this: Sublime Text is a one-person project, so Github would have managed it with the same efforts or even less than they handled Atom.
There is no benefit in writing a texteditor in a specially customized browser.
>>
>2016
>Not using Emacs

Why?
>>
>>52469313
too slow for my usage, only good if you do web development
>>
>>52469867
GTFO
>>
>>52469867
>download GB of files
>for an editor
>still fucking stupid
>>
>>52470721
>only sensible in a web browser/no benefit of writing in a specially customized browser
the dom in atom makes it easy to customize your theme. Being able to 'style' your text editor is pretty fucking cool. It's not as bad as you're making it sound. Have you even looked into it, or are you just baiting me on?
>can't be removed
Technically because it's open source you could remove it yourself, or verify that it's actually disabled, Somebody who cares that much probably already has *.google.com redirecting to 127.0.0.1
>the retards way
This is subjective, I think my way is superior, you think your way is superior, and I'm not really interested in bencharmking my log-viewing speeds. Still though, tail -n 10 error.log What's the matter with this? How is this retarded? Would you open the file in sublime and scroll to the bottom of the file?
>jquery mentality
This situation isn't even comparable to including jquery to accomplish a single task, because this package is literally designed to fix this one problem, there is no included bloat that you get with jquery. Plus, I don't even have an alt gr key, so I don't really give a fuck about this bug.
>poor craftmanship
Entirely subjective. I think the craftmanship is superb. I love how browser-loving it is.
>comparing it to sublime
Sublime costs money, also if you use purely sublime (no plugins), bravo. Chances are you have plenty of plugins which aren't all developed by one person.

Are there any free alternatives to atom?
>>
>>52471007
>the dom in atom makes it easy to customize your theme. Being able to 'style' your text editor is pretty fucking cool.
>muh ricing
Grow the fuck up and check if you thing glowing fonts and particle explosions are that important after starring 8 hours at them.

>It's not as bad as you're making it sound.
Yes it is. A text editors job is either to get out of the way on editing large raw texts or understanding source code. Atom does neither one particulary good.

>Have you even looked into it, or are you just baiting me on?
I looked into it and decided it isn't worth it. If something is that shit out of the box it won't get much better, because the team behind it is most likely a bunch of failures.

>>can't be removed
>Technically because it's open source you could remove it yourself, or verify that it's actually disabled, Somebody who cares that much probably already has *.google.com redirecting to 127.0.0.1
It should be opt-in, as mentioned in the github issue. Even arguing this is beyond brain-damaged.

cont
>>
>>52471007
>This is subjective, I think my way is superior, you think your way is superior, and I'm not really interested in bencharmking my log-viewing speeds. Still though, tail -n 10 error.log What's the matter with this? How is this retarded? Would you open the file in sublime and scroll to the bottom of the file?
Chances are you had to look through all of it because you would need to see a pattern you couldn't parse otherwise.
Anyway, it's retarded to even argue about this, because streaming editors are a thing.

>>jquery mentality
>This situation isn't even comparable to including jquery to accomplish a single task, because this package is literally designed to fix this one problem, there is no included bloat that you get with jquery.
a) jQuery was designed to fix some problem - the browser - too
b) let's wait how long it takes for the other dozen of plugins that fix this another problem

>Plus, I don't even have an alt gr key, so I don't really give a fuck about this bug.
Like I give a shit about some shit-tier keyboard layouts.

>>poor craftmanship
>Entirely subjective. I think the craftmanship is superb. I love how browser-loving it is.
I don't. Browsers are pieces of shit by definition.
If you think, that's good craftsmanship, furiously consider suicide.

>>comparing it to sublime
>Sublime costs money, also if you use purely sublime (no plugins), bravo. Chances are you have plenty of plugins which aren't all developed by one person.
>Are there any free alternatives to atom?
Yes, VS Code, which - I know it's hard to believe, is better in every aspect I mentioned. Also, literally everything that isn't Notepad will do.
And that is hardly the point. The point is, Github could have developed two Sublime Texts for the same money they invested into Atom.
>>
>>52471117
>>52471221

>Anyway, it's retarded to even argue about this

I like atom, you like visual studio. /shrugs
>>
>>52469313
>is there any compelling reason why /g/ doesn't use it?

That's not how things work. You have to give reasons to use it over our current editors first.
>>
>>52471311
yeah, it's your computer
>>
>>52469363
This
>>
>>52469313

Tbh senpai I tried ATOM, ST, Vim then returned to ye olde Intellij. At the end of the day the former(s) are really only faster because they dont have all the features or the depth of code completion that a good IDE offers.

By the time you get all the plugins that turns your {insert editor here} into something is good as an IDE, you kind of get comparable performance to an IDE.

Also most of the waiting I do is at compile time and never really felt that the IDE was being slow while coding.

But each to his own senpai, idk if I wanna spend hours trying to make my vim into an ide when I got an ide to begin with u feel me senpai?
>>
Because I'm using Sublime.

Which is faster and doesn't crash on a 2 mb file.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.