[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>f.lux is a program that reduces the blue light emitted from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 14

File: f.lux.png (38KB, 800x496px) Image search: [Google]
f.lux.png
38KB, 800x496px
>f.lux is a program that reduces the blue light emitted from your screen, which has been found to cause a reduced secretion of melatonin and thus prevent the onset of sleep
Who f.lux here?

I figured I really should do something because my sleeping schedule is getting out of hand again.

Also, what app do you use on your smartphone for the same effect? I've tried Twilight, but dunno how it compares to others.
>>
>>52450360
Placebo.
>>
>>52450360

F.lux is a good application, it unfucked my sleep schedule somewhat. Twilight makes everything noticeably too red.

>>52450367

Placebos still work you know.
>>
>>52450367

Which aspect is a placebo?

Have you tried it?
>>
>>52450367
>Sometimes patients given a placebo treatment will have a perceived or actual improvement in a medical condition
>>
>>52450367
It's not a placebo you retard, warmer light is much less stressful on your eyes (hence mines having red lights) so that right there is one major advantage without even getting into humans whole sleeping patterns.
>>
>>52450360
>recommending proprietary software
>on /g/
Use redshift, it works properly and is GPL v3
>>
>>52450360
100% placebo.
>>
>>52450460
Autism
>>
>>52450360
I've been using it since monday (thanks Apple for the free advertising kek) and it's really effective. You don't have to strain at night, which helps relax your eyes/eyelids, therefore stimulating your need to sleep
>>
The real test is turning it off after you've been using it a few days.

That's when you really notice the difference. I use the 1hr transition and 4200k at night. It's pretty comfy.
>>
Use cf.lumen on Android.
>>
Wear gunnar glasses, then software support is irrelevant.
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 750x897px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 750x897px
works perfectly.
>>
File: 1448550098001.jpg (34KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1448550098001.jpg
34KB, 550x550px
F.lux lacks in customization.
I don't want to stare at a red monitor 3/4 of the day at winter. So i set my location to nowhere much more south.

Why not give me the option of setting my own trigger 2 hours before my bet time or something.
>>
I use redshift which is free as in freedom free as in beer version for free as in freedom and free as in beer GNU/Linux operating system.
>>
>>52450360
Awesome program would not be without it! So good when switching programs never get your retinas ripped out by strobe white web pages at 3am. Peace
>>
>>52450367
>visible difference in screen output
>less eye strain the you can feel
>>
>>52450735
How about you fix your sleep schedule?
>>
>>52450360
CF.lumen if you're rooted. Twilight sucks major balls, it just tints the screen red.

>>52450367
>>52450471
Take two devices with screens. Install flux or whatever you want on one of them, set it to proper moderate settings. Wait until it's dark. Turn on the screens and look at two devices.
One of the devices will make your eyes hurt like you're looking at the sun in the morning.

>>52450799
It's 5PM and my flux is already at 100% intensity.
Should I change my sleep schedule to 5PM til 8AM?
>>
>>52450828
>Should I change my sleep schedule to 5PM til 8AM?
Yes.
>>
>>52450840
I'm a bit tired right now so I might as well go to bed and sleep until the morning instead of staying up late like usual.
Thanks, anon, you've improved my life.
>>
>>52450828
doesn't cf.lumen do that too? i use twilight, and it's miles better than nothing.
>>
>>52450931
CF.lumen actually changes the color temperature through some kernel tweaks.
Twilight literally puts a red overlay. Indeed it is better than nothing, but it's less effective and looks horrendous.
>>
>>52450931
Twilight sucks fat dick, at least it did on my nexus 7. It's annoying as hell when it's constantly turning on/off with screen rotation and lock, makes the change too noticeable.
>>
>>52450360
Isn't overexposure to red light bad for you?
>>
>>52450828
>Wait until it's dark. Turn on the screens and look at two devices.

That's why you're not a retard and have a decent light on when dealing with monitors.
It's not like flux makes the damage go away, you're still killing your eyes like that, simply in smaller doses.
>>
>>52450944
i'm not rooted, does this still apply?

>>52451061
i don't use that, so have no issue.

hopefully google implement something into the next version of android.
>>
>using f.lux
>what is Redshift?
>>
>>52450360
f.lux saved my life
>>
>>52451161
it's not about eye damage at all, it's about what time your body thinks it is based on the kind of light your eyes are absorbing
>>
>>52450360
>which has been found to cause a reduced secretion of melatonin and thus prevent the onset of sleep
Read the articles they cite and you'll see they're not very robust findings. Also they're not very robust findings in an area that's tangentially related to the idea of making screens less blue.

What flux is, is psedoscience wrapped up in a couple articles.
>>
>>52451184
>>what is Redshift?
piece of shit
>>
File: Screenshot_20160116-124505.png (140KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160116-124505.png
140KB, 1080x1920px
who cm13 here?
>>
File: Auswahl_011.png (48KB, 1245x215px) Image search: [Google]
Auswahl_011.png
48KB, 1245x215px
>>52450775
>>
Placebo
>>
>>52450460
>>52450477

So software that isn't immoral is now autistic?

Or are you saying that because the program has a retarded UI and is difficult to use?

>>52451307
Rule N°1 of conspirashit: qui bono?

Well, f.lux is gratis, and the company basically got BTFO by Apple: they blocked the app in the Apple store then updated iOS to include the functionality of f.lux.
The creator of the app has stated that he doesn't really care whether people use his app as long as they gain awareness about the harmful effects of constant exposure to blue light in the evening/at night.
>>
>they've fallen for the sleep meme
>>
>>52450396
>Which aspect is a placebo?
Everything, the way monitors work is by emitting (green,blue,red) light to produce colored image.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3unPcJDbCc
What these do however is decrease light intensity which may help in sleep.
>>
>>52451457
When I was 15 I too thought the sleep meme was pretty gay, and tried to sleep as little as possible, but that didn't last very long. Going for weeks with less than 4 hours of sleep per day makes you feel wretched (if you are a normal person).
>>
It's some nice placebo that makes everything look like shit.

>>52450394
>Placebos still work you know.
Sure, but you might as well have some tea or wear a crystal around your neck.
>>
I don't really care about the sleep aspect, I just think it's really comfortable. Now that I am used to it, turning f.lux off after dark literally hurts my eyes.
>>
>>52450455
>warmer light is much less stressful on your eyes (hence mines having red lights)
Actually it's because red light have longer wave length so it's more likely to be seen through dust.
>>
>>52451497
And f.lux reduces the blue and a little of the green component. Not sure what you are trying to say
>>
>>52451520
>Now that I am used to it
Yeah. just like anyone not using it is used to the neutral colors and have no problems. It's probalby take you a day max to get used to the neutral colors again.
>>
>>52451497
No you fucking retard.
These programs work by reducing the blue output of your monitor, they literally dim the blue subpixel.
>>
A silly placebo meme is what it is.
>>
i like having my eyes seared when i'm happily funposting on /g/ at 2:30 am, which is why i shriek angry words at people using their devices wrong
>>
>>52450360
twilight is the best there is, cf lumen even though requiring root wasn't effective at all. there's also bluelight filter but it's less customisable. what's so great about twilight is the slider. though you have to set it to like 3500k and then very low to not literally turn your screen yellow
>>
>>52451566
The difference is that when I first turned on f.lux, my eyes didn't hurt. So to me it seems like f.lux is objectively more comfortable.
>>
why did the normie use non-free botnet placebo software? - because he was a beta fag who got cucked
--/g/ humor
>>
>>52451597
But when you started using f.lux did you notice feeling "omg so comfy for my eyes!"? No, me neither. It's not comfier, it just makes neutral colors uncomfortable.
>>
>not wearing this instead

you also will look like a bad ass.

And it will actually work, unlike this shitty app btw.

(or just take a fucking melatonin pill they are cheap af)
>>
>>52451653
>you also will look like a bad ass.
bono is not a bad ass, anon
>>
>>52451664
Yes he is my friend. Dont you see he is wearing those bad ass blue glasses?
>>
>>52451597
I'd just like to interject for a moment.

When you say, " so to me it seems" that is pretty much the definition of subjectivity, not objectivity.

That doesn't, however, mean that you are wrong.
>>
>>52451627
I did actually. It was a relieving feeling.
>>
Better get som gunnars kid, you'll up your kd too.
>>
>>52451653
>(or just take a fucking melatonin pill they are cheap af)
Melatonin is more likely to fuck up your sleep than fix it unless you know all the timing and dosing requirements and are super-strict about both dialing it in and keeping it all very exact.
>>
>>52451504
It was just alluding to the overuse of the word meme, but I feel you
>>
>>52451653
>blue shades stopping blue light
You are retarded.
>>
>>52450360
100% placebo.

I sleep like a fucking baby at night after a hard days work at the computer.
>>
>>52450367
nice meme
>>
>>52450460
fuck, /g/ has really gone off the deep end.
>>
Are there any studies to back up its effectiveness, or is it basically the PC version of homeopathy?
>>
What benefit would this provide to somebody, say, living in their mother's basement without a natural light pattern affecting them?
>>
>>52452906
>is it basically the PC version of homeopathy?
That's exactly what it is.

>>52453002
It makes you think it helps you, aka placebo.
>>
I use flux when reading ebooks and other texts for a prolonged period of time. It really does reduce eye strain by a lot.

Honestly, with the screen at 5000-5300K, my monitor is comparable to an e-ink screen in terms of eye strain and readability.
>>
Using twilight now, tho i use it as a toggle, not a gradual change like the desktop flux does
>>
File: flux-icon.jpg (48KB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
flux-icon.jpg
48KB, 900x500px
Why does this little program always trigger /g/? Also, why does no one talk about how much it reduced eye strains? That's the only reason I'm using this. My eye used to be red as fuck before I started useing nipple slip the program.
>>
File: redshifting.png (8KB, 243x183px) Image search: [Google]
redshifting.png
8KB, 243x183px
It's happening oh god
>>
>f.lux
You may wish to refer to the free counterpart to a proprietary program instead of the proprietary program itself. Had I not checked carefully, I may have been tempted to install f.lux on my machine instead of redshift. Others who are less observant may have been led to install this instead of the more respectful redshift program.
I must give thanks to the Parabola maintainers, whose active dedication to keeping nonfree software out of their repositories was the first hint I had that this program was not going to respect my freedoms. However, not everyone checks their distribution's repositories first and may wind up with something nonfree on their otherwise free systems, so please make sure to check the licenses of the software you mention in the future, thanks.
>>
Didn't apple just invent this tech?

Have the freetards already reverse engineered it? Typical
>>
>>52453716
>f.lux
>freetards
>>
To unfuck your sleep scheduele (this is the only thing that worked for me)

1. Take an all nighter
2. Go to sleep around 5 pm
3. Wake up around 6 am (you may wake up in the middle of the night, just try to go back to sleep)

Seriously, now you'll be raving for sleep at 8-10pm and waking up at 6-7am every night.
It's awesome
>>
>>52450367
I don't really believe in the better-sleeping claims, but it's a miracle when I have a migraine or just eye strain.
>>
>>52453716
Other way around:

f.lux "invented" the tech, i.e. wrote the program first, then Apple blocked it in their Apple store and are currently preparing a tool of their own to include in the next update of iOS.

How do you like them Apples?
>>
>>52451097
Isn't overexposure to oxygen bad for you?
>>
>>52451097
no?
>>
>see this thread 25 minutes ago
>download f.lux
>turn on f.lux
>WTF WHY IS EVERYTHING RED AS NEWBORNS BLOOD
>adjust color temperature
>continue reading 4chin
>15 minutes later eye strained as fuck
>have to stare out of the window for few minutes to relieve my eyes
>uninstall f.lux
>write this post

I don't know if it's reverse placebo or my monitor is that shitty, but goddamnit this hurt. It's dark outside, halogen lamp turned on inside.
>>
>>52455118
So when you say you adjusted the colour temperature does that mean you just put it back up to maximum...
>>
>>52455187
No. Max was at I think 5500K, I raised it from 3400 to about 4500 so it wasn't like looking trough two grepfruits and I could kind of tell the intended colors apart.
>>
File: fire walk with me.gif (1000KB, 245x207px) Image search: [Google]
fire walk with me.gif
1000KB, 245x207px
just turn down the brightness when it's dark
fuck this memeware
>>
>>52455187
Also, I usually don't get eyestrain untill about 4-5 hours of staring at screen
>>
>>52452850
yeah, it's full of proprietary shitware shills from /v/

sad times indeed brother.
>>
>>52455314
Or people who want the convenience of not having to use the command line for even the most trivial things...
>>
>>52455331
fuck off retard

>>>/v/ is that way

doesn't matter this shit is dumb as fuck anyway as any whitepoint off display white point will not only rekt your color accuracy out the ass but it very likely isn't even properly displaying the "color temperature" you have chosen either.
>>
>>52455280
Yeah, but that makes PWM more noticeable, which is a problem for a lot of people
>>
>>52451497
youre such a complete fucking retard why are you even allowed to speak
>>
>>52455331
>add redshift-gtk to startup apps
Fin.
>>
>>52455424
PWM is cancer, not a technology for high end screens imo

can there be a better way?

http://led.linear1.org/how-is-led-brightness-related-to-current/
>>
>>52450455
You know, you can actually have a soft light in your room, so that the contrast of a bright screen in a dim room doesn't hurt your eyes as much.

Also, you _can_ turn your monitor's brightness down.

f.lux is a fucking meme.
>>
f.lux suedbl by Apple for patent violation when?
>>
I am not sure if it does anything for sleep but it's certainly more comfortable.
>>
>>52458219
>you can use a soft light
>you can turn your monitor's brightness down
>you can use f.lux
Why are only one of these options a "fucking meme"
>>
>>52450455
>hence mines having red lights

Red light won't fuck up your night vision.

My ex military 4x4 has red interior light for the same reason.
>>
>>52450360
I updated my iPad and now it's not jailbroken, so no flux.
Now I can't sleep at night after using it.
>>
Shitty gazebo effect.
>>
>using f.lux
hope you don't do graphic design
>>
>>52458219
>>52458319

Blue light affects your sleeping pattern
>>
File: 1312039398712.jpg (21KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1312039398712.jpg
21KB, 350x350px
>>52459395
It gets turned off in 2 clicks when I edit photos, what is the loss?

pic related is you
>>
>>52459395

>graphic """"design""""

still living off dad's money, eh?
>>
>>52459420
>needing to turn off software to do your work
>>>/trash/

>>52459427
I don't do graphic design
>>
>>52459439
If the doctors have not told you yet, you have autism. Sorry Timmy.

If you think that having to close a single program is too much effort then just stop breathing because that too requires some sort of will power which you must find incredibly amazing
>>
>>52459439
>I don't do graphic design
Then you don't understand that correct color is not always needed
>>
>>52459395
>disable for color-sensitive work
Wow, that was hard
>>
>>52450367
I dare you to use f.lux until the point you can't see the redness anymore. Then, disable it at night in a pitch black room.

If you then still say "placebo" you must be a blind man.
>>
>>52459439
>>needing to turn off software to do your work
I don't do my work on my home PC at night.
>>
>>52460277
why are you sitting in a pitch black room.
>>
>>52460400
It doesn't even need to be a pitch black room, just a room that isn't daylight brightness.
>>
everything is fucking red
>>
>>52460557
except the screenshot

atleast it doesn't affect other peoples precious
>>
>>52460425
Brightness doesn't even matter. Most artificial lights don't emit the spectrum of the sun.
I've set mine to 2,800 K, because that is the color temperature of the lights in my room. Turning it off still has a noticeable effect on my eyes.
>>
>>52455280
http://memeware.net
>>
>>52455272
thats cause you have shitty posture or monitor too high.
my monitor is like 3-4 inch (7.5-10 cm) lower than my eyesight and at 3400k looks barely red/yellowish,its just a white with some red hint and no blue lightning.
I would neer unnnistal f.lux and i downloaded it a few mins ago.
>>
File: redshift.jpg (7KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
redshift.jpg
7KB, 256x256px
>>52455820
This.
>>
>>52450360
idk what your pic is but i have f.lux insalled

>guess my os
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.