[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was born in 1997. Currently 18. I've been using computers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: delete-me2.jpg (58KB, 660x636px) Image search: [Google]
delete-me2.jpg
58KB, 660x636px
I was born in 1997. Currently 18.
I've been using computers since I was 2, yet I've never felt like I've had a deep understanding of how they worked.
I know some basic things like what CPU and RAM stand for, but if someone were to ask me how they worked I don't think I'd be able to answer.
I feel as if I was born too late to have a good understanding of how electronics actually work, since every day, they become so user friendly that a gorilla could use them with ease.
Considering most of you probably grew up in the 80's or 90's or so you probably learned the in and outs via work or as a personal hobby.
I want to learn from the down up, but I have no idea where to start.
I mean I'm talking down to basics, the bare beginnings up to this point.
Are there any videos I can watch?
Any online lessons?
Classes I have to take?

tl;dr How does a person who knows nothing about computers or electronics learn about computers and electronics?
>>
I didn't learn to program until I was 24.
You're fine.

Just look up the things you don't understand and you'll get it eventually.
>>
File: Untitled.png (9KB, 684x151px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
9KB, 684x151px
>>
I didn't learn any of this shit until I entered college. You'll be fine as long as you're curious
>>
http://www.amazon.com/But-How-Know-Principles-Computers/dp/0615303765
This book will teach you how a processor does its shit
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNN_tTXABUA
>>
File: petzold_code.jpg (84KB, 1298x1884px) Image search: [Google]
petzold_code.jpg
84KB, 1298x1884px
>>52447269
>I want to learn from the down up, but I have no idea where to start.
>I mean I'm talking down to basics, the bare beginnings up to this point.

Read pic related. There's hardly any better book for you to start off.
>>
>>52447269
I wouldn't bother learning every nuance if I were you, try to learn about troubleshooting hardware and software issues and customizing computers, then work on the harder stuff if you're so inclines. I learned how to read all the terms when I was in high school a few years ago(18 now) so it's really not that hard.
>>
File: sharpdubs.png (63KB, 178x220px) Image search: [Google]
sharpdubs.png
63KB, 178x220px
>>52447499
>>
>>52447436
Seconding this

Also, Code Complete is pretty good
>>
read LPTHW's command line crash course and then install gentoo
>>
>>52447269
>I was born in 1997. Currently 18.
>I've been using computers since I was 2, yet I've never felt like I've had a deep understanding of how they worked.
I want depressive millennials to leave.
>>
File: Shinji_Crying_(EoE).png (270KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
Shinji_Crying_(EoE).png
270KB, 853x480px
>>52447567
>>
>>52447269

>born 1983.

>first computer apple iic

>1st programming language learned, html.

>went to school for electrical engineering

We read books, trial and error, you were weird if you knew how to use a computer.

Now it is trendy to be all "i'm a geek lol" not knowing one single programming language.

I fucking hate it.

Take a class in an introduction electronics, don't be scared off by the knowledge of everyone else.

Read some fucking books. You can't just watch a 5minute vid on youtube and be a wizard. Mabie an apple 'genius' tho.

Go to fucking school if you want to learn, and find out if you really want to learn about computers.
>>
>>52447269
>born in 1994
>didn't really do anything with computers until 14
>learned HTML and CSS at 17
>learned python at 19
>just recently built a computer
>now I'm about ready to get my A+

Just take it in, bits at a time. No, that was not supposed to be a pun.
>>
>>52447543
>Code Complete

Not a beginner's book tough, it can help if you know at least one programming language reasonably well.
>>
Read some basic tutorials and lurk on /g/. It isn't that hard.
>>
>>52448013
>watching random "tutorials" (possibly made by some poo-in-looers and/or 12-year-olds)
>>
Wiki desu
Also Linus tech tips (inb4 collective /g/ rage)
But seriously his explanation videos are pretty great
Start with logic gates, that is about as far down as you can go
>>
Good tech podcasts to listen to to learn stuff:

>Security Now (and most TWIT stuff)
>Tightwad Tech (now defunct, sadly)
>Geekrant (formerly Everyday Linux)
>>
>>52447269
Take a course on it in Uni while you read up on the things about software/hardware that interest you. That's how I got started.
Then if it seems right for you after a class or two and you find yourself (attempting to) program random garbage, you can start considering going deeper into it from there.
>>
>>52447315
>>
>>52447436
this
>>
>>52447269
To be honest, family, you can get a better education in how a CPU works by building your own computer in minecraft, than taking a digital logic class.
>>
>>52448066
Linus tech tips
>>
>>52447269
>I know nothing
>give me answers so I don't have to make a effort at finding anything out on my own

God dam teenagers.
>>
>>52447269
try to make your computer faster

it's a good place to start because you have to learn a lot of basics about hardware, which might give you more questions, which you can seek the answers for on your own.
>>
>>52448346
Fuck that guy. Especially when I see people talking about "Linus" and say things that Linus Torvalds never did, only to later say that they were talking about this faggot.
>literally "gayming" kids incarnate
>even worse than Logan
>>
>>52447605

Damn.. You are right.

>>>52447567

Damn you are right.

>millennials like, i whunt to be comput-der.
>>
>>52447567
Just the thought of them as nothing more then cumrags in the late 90's is a satisfying feeling.
>>
>>52447269
Read "How computers work", it explains computers' processors and memory on circuit level and is easy as fuck.
>>
>>52447269
2 weeks ago I had to punch down some analogue lines at work for the fax machine.

Old tech still exists in the real work anon.
>>
>>52447269

Ok, I can tell you all about it if you have the time OP.

1. First thing you are going to have to do is get some electrons together, then find out how you can exchange them at a high rate.
>>
>>52447703
lewd
>>
i was also born in 1997 but I took an interest in computers early on and frequently studied material on the internet. documentaries on early 80s and 90s tech are very interesting if you'd like to catch up on what you've missed out on in that department. otherwise, you've got the entire internet at your disposal. google things you want to learn about.
>>
>>52447269
It's just logics implemented with electrical current. Basically, there's nothing more to it. The most complex electronic systems aren't even comparable to say the human body or stuff they do in astronomy.

You don't have to know about x86 instructions unless you program in assembly and CPU layouts unless you're a computer engineer, faggot.
>>
This is the most helpful I've ever seen /g/ in a while.
>>
>>52447644
>1st programming language learned, html.
>programming language
>html
Pick one. html is literally a markup language, not a programming language.

Stop giving the rest of us 1983ers a bad name.
>>
As a mathematics student who is interested in computer, I would advise to have a solid background in abstract algebra. This will sound completely irrelevant to many of /g/ users, but at least that was my approach.
Start with boolean algebra, circuits, basic electromagnetism and architectures and network theory. These topics will cover the foundation of modern PCs. Then learn what RAM, CPU, BUS, cache, BIOS and so on are used for. I suggest you start with a little bit of machine code and assembly. From there you have a huge choice of specializations: coding, hardware, networks, security, cryptography, and so on.

Again, this was my approach and you may find yourself better with other methods. Remember though: computers are real, so the best way to complement theory would be to USE them, as in "do stuff with your PC". For instance, download a program that lets you read you RAM and try changing some values, or try learning how a kernel works and how to better take care/advantage of your OS with the terminal (this is the cmd in windows, which has its own language called batch). Try installing new OS's, try assembling a PC from scratch, try everything that comes to your mind because theory without applications is rather pointless.
Right now computers are a universe on its own, you can't just "understand how they work". This would take a quite long time and a lot of efforts. So start with the basics and chose an area you find appealing. Also, Google will give you guides and tips on how to learn these topics.

Also, I want to stress the importance of the topics I listed in the beginning of the post: although they may see far from what you see working on your screen, they are actually essential in the understanding of Computer Science.
Moreover, learning how computers evolved will give you a lot of important insights! Learn history too.
Cheers.
>>
>>52450447
/g/ wants to help those who want to learn, not those who want to mooch off people's knowledge and use them as tech support monkeys.
>>
>>52447269
http://www.amazon.com/Code-Language-Computer-Hardware-Software/dp/0735611319
>>
>>52447269
>but if someone were to ask me how they worked I don't think I'd be able to answer.
Besides the hurp durp it's dem electricitys n logic gates n shied, I don't know how dem puters work as well and I am employed as a software developer.
>>
>Born in 2007
>25 now
>Wife and kids
>My 6 year old kid is better at programming than me

How can I beat him?
>>
>>52451227
The apprentice always surpasses the master.
>>
>>52447269

Start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBDoT8o4q00
>>
>>52449742

In 1997 I was snorting coke off strippers' tits.
>>
>>52447269
>I feel as if I was born too late to have a good understanding of how electronics actually work, since every day, they become so user friendly that a gorilla could use them with ease.
please stop blaming society for your lack of initiative. You lack good understanding of electronics because you've never bothered to learn. But well, it's alright if you want to change it now.

I say, start with low-level programming: maybe buy a simple 8-bit microcontroller (atmega8?), that should be useful if you want to fully understand how does everything works.

As for pure electronics things, i'm not sure if you mean that you want anything more than basic wikipedia knowledge - what is alu, stack, cu, whatever. But if you want to learn about this, people already posted some books - i just wanted to give you a piece of advice about fooling around with uC and real electronics.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.