[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/ I want to dual boot with Debian, I am currently using

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: debian.png (54KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
54KB, 400x400px
Hey /g/ I want to dual boot with Debian, I am currently using Windows 10 and I have no clue how to do this.

I have a USB Drive that I plan on using

Could someone please help me or show me a place to get more information?
>>
If you can't figure out how to dual boot windows with debian then you should use Ubuntu first
READ: USE UBUNTU. Once you experience linux, then install other distros.
As for a guide, search up /flt/ on /g/ for le friendly linux thread, they'll help you.
>>
>>52446385
1. Burn Debian ISO to USB
2. Restart computer and go into BIOS mode
3. Boot USB drive
4. Create and format partitions for Debian
5. Install it
6. Install GRUB
7. Done.
>>
>>52446799
What's grub
>>
>>52446829
It's the thing that allows you to pick what OS you boot into.
>>
>>52446829
>What's grub
COMPREHENSIVE
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html
>>
>>52446799
make sure to resize windows partitions from windows. I've made bad experiences in the past
>>
>>52446385
Dude. IMO it's a really bad idea. Easy to corrupt your boot loader, and Windows updates may fuck up your startup config. Best way to dual boot is a hardware solution.

First, buy an Icydock MB994SP-4SB-1 and install it in an empty 5.25 bay. Put your Windows 10 on one SSD and your Debian on a different one. Physically swap the drive when you want to run the other OS. Store your data on a second drive formatted FAT32 or NTFS so it's easily accessible from either OS.
>>
>>52447518
>Physically swap the drive when you want to run the other OS.
Or you could get an external hard drive, set BIOS to boot from USB first, install Linux on the external and plug it in before booting up anytime you want to use Linux
>>
Alternate good solutions are:
Run one OS as the host and the second in VMWare Workstation/Oracle Virtualbox.

Set up a second PC for the second OS and optionally use Synergy to make your keyboard and mouse work seamlessly across systems (http://synergy-project.org/)
>>
>>52446385
hi OP

unlike all other anons I actually want to help.

I'm assuming you want to install Debian in your hdd along with windows. The easiest way to do this is to resize a partition in your hdd, leaving some space unassigned. After that, just use your debian liveUSB, boot it and choose graphical install.

>How do I reduce a volume on windows 10?
-Start/Admin tools/Computer management
-Find Disk management
-Pick a partition (you should pick the largest one), right click, reduce volume
-Reduce it in order to leave 30-40bg unassigned. That's more than enough for Debian and any other GNULinux distro. Follow on screen instructions.

>How do I make a live USB?
-Download the ISO you want
-get Rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/
-run it and follow on screen instructions.

>How do I boot into my liveUSB?
-once your liveUSB is ready, plug it in.
-reboot your pc
-inmediately, look for some text saying "hit FX key for temporary boot options" or similar
-pick your usb, you're done.

When asked about partitions, choose "auto assign free space" or the option that sounds closer to that. Can't remember exactly. It will use the unassigned space you left earlier and create all necessary partitions for you.

You REALLY shouldn't go for Debian as your first GNULinux distro though. It's fairly easy to install but once you've done it you WILL run into trouble that's gonna be hard to fix if you're new. Consider Linux Mint, it's the most popular distro for a reason. Debian is great but you really need patience to use it.

Check /flt/ here on /g/ for further help.
>>
File: G_OS_Guide.jpg (375KB, 3000x2116px) Image search: [Google]
G_OS_Guide.jpg
375KB, 3000x2116px
>>52446385
Looks like somebody's switching to big boy pants a little too soon.
>>
>>52446534
This, or use mint. Installing debian without any previous knowledge is easy if you want to remove windows
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.