[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is wd red a meme? I use my gaymen pc for streaming plex and my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: WD_Red3 angle shot.jpg (2MB, 2123x3044px) Image search: [Google]
WD_Red3 angle shot.jpg
2MB, 2123x3044px
Is wd red a meme? I use my gaymen pc for streaming plex and my curry 500gb Seagate is out of room
>>
Red is super quiet. I have 2xSSD's, and a 1TB WD Red for larger storage, like big downloads.
>>
>>52439738
All HDDs are meme, anon. Get with the times already and get SSD.
>>
>>52439738
just got my WD Red 3tb today in my server.
>quiet
>decent read/write
>they say it's reliable
>made for 24/7 use
>>
They are designed for 24/7 use. If you are not using it for such things, you do not need to buy one.
>>
>>52440285

So if I use less than their optimized use I can't? Really?

Where's the logic?

fuck off
>>
>>52440376
Fucking namefag
>>
I got the one in the picture
I am buying seagate 4TB next month
Its cheaper and it got better reliability in backblaze test
>>
>>52440270
I'm not running my computer 24/7, most will be over night. Would green be better for storing all my movies and shows?
>>
>not getting a wd black hdd

plebs desu
>>
Got a WD Green for cold storage, pretty good.
>>
Blue = normal use
Black = perfomance (faster R/W)
Red = netwok (raid optmized, for seedboxes)
Purple = cameras (durability)
Green = ecology (slower, but more durable and quieter)

Did I get it right?
>>
>>52442005
Just get a Seagate archive drive. (The 8tb one)
>>
>>52442198
yes.
</thread>
>>
>>52442005
>>52442147
I have a 120GB Corsair SSD with my OS, an 2TB Seagate which have most of my programs and games, and a 2TB WD Green which is mostly for movies/series which I leave seeding on my torrent. 10 thousand powered on hours on the SSD, 15k on the barracuda and 3k on the WD green (it shuts itself after 5 minutes of inactivity), all of them are perfectly fine.
>>
Reds are memes. Literally greens with a few firmware tweaks.
>>
>>52442198
From what I hear, Blues aren't good for anything, and Reds are good for general use/storage. Greens are apparently shit now, even though I have two ancient Greens that are still running like champs. Reds are the new Greens, basically.
>>
File: backblaze.png (212KB, 720x1070px) Image search: [Google]
backblaze.png
212KB, 720x1070px
>>52442198
>Blue
default, solid choice
>Black
avoid like hell, loud, expensive, shit performance cuz no one cares since we live with SSDs
>Red
quieter blues cuz no 7200, with 1 year longer warranty and higher price
at 3/4TB you should rather go for 4TB seagate
>Purple
identical to red physically but with tinkered firmware for some 24/7 multiple writes for camera feeds
>Green
absolute shit tier, stay away, durrability of a 13 year old white girl left alone in ISIS controlled Levant
>>
>>52442198
Outdated. Blues and Greens have been merged. All old Greens are now Blues.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=780

>All current WD Green capacity, cache and form-factor configurations will remain available through their lifecycle, but under the WD Blue brand
>>
>>52442364
I have an old green (WD20EZRX), does that means it has the same specs as the current blues?
What is the difference between the old greens and the new greens?
>>
What is the biggest HDD that's fast enough for 3TB of Steam games to load off it without waiting too long? Other stuff should load fast too.
>>
>>52442393
nigger theres not really observable speed difference between various 3TB drives
>>
>>52442423
>reading comprehension
I said biggest, not 3TB.
>>
>>52442440
>for 3TB of Steam games
jewfag get the fuck out of here
>>
>>52442383
>old greens and the new greens

Literally nothing WD is just calling them all blues now, most likely due to greens getting seen as budget drives.
>>
>>52442463
Nobody would buy a 3TB drive for 3TB of data.

>>52442393
Why do you have 3TB of steam games installed at any given time?
>>
>>52442393
I have a 2TB Red that's for Steam games and media files, and it's sorta slow IMO. I'm thinking about moving my Steam library to a 500gb SSD because my entire collection is only like 250gb.

If I were you, I'd go for a WD Black. And don't get a hybrid drive.
>>
>>52442463
I want to store movies and other shit, baka. It's just that the games are what need the good, fast HDD.
>>
>>52442487
I like having everything locally installed. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

>>52442494
Thank you, anon. I'm worried about the recent rise in failure rates on WD drives, though.
>>
File: weaaboo.png (162KB, 457x450px) Image search: [Google]
weaaboo.png
162KB, 457x450px
>>52442495
>baka
come on now
what you need is go jump under the train you weaboo fuck
not a hdd
your parents hateyou and despise you animefag
>>
>>52442532
>hating anime
>anime imageboard
>>
>>52442519
Steam games are easily replaceable. If you have a monthly data cap through your ISP you might want to back up on another drive though, no matter what you end up getting.
>>
>>52442577
No data cap, just want to not run out of space and have everything locally installed. I can't really afford two drives right now, but eventually.
>>
>>52442519
I got a Seagate 3TB that I use just for Steam. I also have a program called Gamesave manager that backs up my saves twice a week to a separate drive in case it fails.

Shit works great, and it if fails no biggie. Have everything important backed up to a external + DVD.
>>
>>52442763
Thanks for the program advice, I'll definitely check it out. How big is your save file backup?
>>
>>52442816
I have a pretty big library of games, and it is at 32GB currently. However, I have it set up to create a new copy every time, and I periodically go in and delete older copies. Also have it set up to only update the saves that have been modified and leave everything else alone.
>>
>>52442868
I should have room for that on a 250GB SSD, right? It will also have win7 and possibly a win10 partition.
>>
>>52442908
That should be plenty. My SSD is 250 as well and it has Dual W7/W10 partition and has like 140GB of space left after programs/1-2 games on it.
>>
>>52442935
Alright, one more question. Do i have to make partitions on both the SSD and the HDD to have dual-boot? Never done it before.
>>
WD Blacks are loud as fuck, when I first installed mine I thought something was wrong with the head. I can personally deal with it fine, but others might find it a deal breaker.
>>
>>52443030

It has the best warranty (5 years) compared to the other colours. It's worth it in terms of performance, if you play a lot of games. I'm buying a 2tb wd black and using headphones so It wont bother me in the slightest.
>>
>>52443030
Spinning loud or clicking loud?
>>
>>52443085
Spinning. Just normal hard drive sounds, but louder. It's like a whirring noise whenever there's something happening.
>>52443083
Yeah, I bought it mostly for performance and I always have headphones in so it never bothers me. Hell, my keyboard alone is 10x louder than any hard drive could be.
>>
File: 11037631.jpg (15KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
11037631.jpg
15KB, 330x319px
>>52443143
Oh yeah, that's no big deal for me. Thanks for the info, I'll just load stuff into a RAMdisk when I use it.
>mfw 64GB soon
>>
>>52442321
why 4tb seagate?
>>
>>52443201
The 3TB Seagates were death ridden. 40% Failure rate, absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>52443009
That is one way, the other is you can both partitions on one drive. Best way is to either use a formatting tool or the one windows gives you when you first install windows and only use a portion of the HDD space for the partition.

When you install the second OS, it will ask you when you first start up which one you want to select (W7 and W10). You can do the same with Linux as well if you want.
>>
>>52443238
i mean, why get 4tb seagate over toshiba or wd
>>
>>52443265
I kind of wish I could just partition the SSD, so both have full access to the HDD, but I don't want 10 deleting my 7 programs and files.
>>
>>52442321
What do you mean by shit performance specifically? Blacks are looking pretty good from here.
>>
>>52439738
You didn't necessarily waste your time, but were ill informed. The reason red's exist is for their error correction/TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery), and its benefit to RAID arrays (NAS and/or server situations).

If you were, for instance, running a RAID 5 array of greens, and had few bad sectors on different drives, you could be stuck in an endless "error rebuild" loop. In your case it doesn't really matter, you can treat it as any other hard drive.
>>
>>52442532
It's a wordfilter, senpai
baka desu
>>
>>52443527
Nah man, I said baka. No filter required, just being a weeb on an anime imageboard.
>>
>>52442321
HGST for the win
>>
>>52440376
Thats how engineering works I don't know for this special case but most likely the bearings the electrical engines and everything is deductive to never get turned off so yeah if you won't use it like that it won't be your best investment.
>>
>>52443643
>dat price tag

T-toshiba
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.