[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>download skype.rpm file from skype's website >double

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: 1445806004276.jpg (40KB, 256x259px) Image search: [Google]
1445806004276.jpg
40KB, 256x259px
>download skype.rpm file from skype's website
>double click the skype.rpm file
>it asks for password
>it installs
>it works
>haven't had to open the terminal once

Sooo where do all these memes about Loonix come from?
From what I recall it's roughly the same installation process for 3rd party software as in Windows or OS X, the only difference being that Linux actually tells you what packages it installs.

Any winfag care enough to explain?
>>
Try to run bf4
>>
Not everything is an rpm file retard
>>
>>52419914
Does bf4 have a linux version?
If yes, link me to a torrent of it I'll try to repeat the process
>>
>>52419914

kekilicious
>>
It's usually that they want to do something obscure (by the standards of the OS they migrated from) and they are faced with the much dreaded terminal.
>>
Because Winfags can't fathom the fact that anything can be done different than on Windows and still count as being productive. If it doesn't go 100% the same as on Windows (I actually prefer installing packages via the terminal), it's wrong and counter-productive and blah blah blah.
>>
File: Untitled.png (5KB, 541x119px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5KB, 541x119px
now set up a network share without resolving to using the terminal or manually editing config files

par time: 15 seconds
>>
>>52419884
skype was unusable for years.
now it installs but you get an obsolete version.

10/10
>>
>>52419884
set up LAMP + SQL + install some PHP engine without resorting to terminal.

time: 10 minutes with install included.
>>
>>52419951
???

Also pretty arbitrary test since SMB/CIFS is a Microsoft's own proprietary protocol and smb is only a foss implementation of it.
>>
>>52419969
>no ads
lmao I'd take the obsolete version over the new one any day
>>
>>52420037
> nigger does not know about internet settings

:^)
>>
>>52419991
But why would I need to set up a server with a graphical environment?
>>
File: 924x616_210458.jpg (52KB, 924x616px) Image search: [Google]
924x616_210458.jpg
52KB, 924x616px
>>52420047
>/v/edditors known for running shittorent 2.2.1 call anyone a nigger
>>
>>52420057
>sane multi-tasking
>graphical monitoring (muh cpu/network bandwidth charts)
>better (faster/easier to use) tools and utilities
>>
>>52420108
>>sane multi-tasking
Just script it properly

>>graphical monitoring (muh cpu/network bandwidth charts)
remote tools

>>better (faster/easier to use) tools and utilities
lmao
>>
Ha! Installing software using terminal. Retard is drooling over his computer daydreaming he's hacking the pentagon. Then video drivers never just werk. He cries himself to sleep. But he felt like Snowden if only for a split second.
>>
>>52420077
I run 3.2.3. :)))

Back to the topic, it takes 3 seconds to 'block' ads in Skype.
>>
Because half the worthless, unemployable pieces of fucking shit on this board use shit-on-purpose distros like arch, Slackware, and gentoo which are still mentally living in 1998 where you still have to do that bs and are essentially purpose built for these faggots destined to kill themselves before 30 because they think it makes them intelligent and then they "recommend" it to everyone
>>
Linuxfag logic:
>windows atatic dll hell LMFAAAAAAOOOO!!
>he guis look this closed source static build rpm i just double click install wow so much better than micro$hit winBLOWS HAHA!!!

GNU/Linux fucktards should be rounded up and sent to work camps.
>>
File: jPSYukJiLR8.jpg (59KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
jPSYukJiLR8.jpg
59KB, 604x604px
>>52420195
Calm down buddy there's no need to be mad.

Skype for linux makes proper use of package management and uses linux's dynamic libraries.
>>
File: 1452344404322.gif (477KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1452344404322.gif
477KB, 500x281px
>>52420195

ok
>>
File: GNU_HURD.png (2MB, 3872x2550px) Image search: [Google]
GNU_HURD.png
2MB, 3872x2550px
>>52419884
>RPM
>Not superior x86
>>
>>52420967
>x86
Guix has package extensions like that?
Bretty cool 2bh.
>>
>>52419884
Using your brain for once pains them too much I presume.

I never understood why the terminal is seen as something bad; I for one was looking forward to learning to use it and installing packages using pacman/apt-get/dnf is a lot easier and more enjoyable than on windows.

For people who still use windows, and especially gamers: enjoy your 50th installation of C++.
>>
>>52421413
Yeah, but it only plays good together with NixOS.
>>
>>52422826
why not GuixSD?
>>
>>52420167
>like arch, Slackware, and gentoo which are still mentally living in 1998
Two of those distros are bleeding edge versions of Linux you mongo.People use them because of their modern features.It's the dipshits who run server software on their desktops who deserve your criticism.
>>
>open the terminal
>type 4 words
>skype installed without even needing to click anything
>>
try running a program from github without using the terminal
>>
Because most programs don't offer rpm's or deb's, they just tell you to copy terminal commands
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.