[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows fag here, born and bred Why should I go for something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 3

File: why guts.jpg (91KB, 350x441px) Image search: [Google]
why guts.jpg
91KB, 350x441px
Windows fag here, born and bred

Why should I go for something else like Linux? I am genuinely interested and want genuine recommendation
>>
Because you should value your privacy.
>>
>>52417546
The principle. If you don't care, don't do it. If you do then yeah, switch
>>
>>52417549
>>52417566

How about a practical reason.....
>>
I know it sounds like a meme but my favorite part is the lack of bloat, it makes my laptop run so much faster
>>
>>52417546
It's fun to use and to tinker with if you're enthusiastic about computers/software
>>
>>52417584
There is none
>>
You might want to try it on a NAS or something. You have to be down syndrome to have it as a main OS though
>>
>>52417684
>You have to be down syndrome to have it as a main OS though
oh the ironing
>>
>>52417599
This pretty much. It is also fun to tinker with if that's your thing. For the average user though it's not as practical as windows.
>>
>>52417684
Nice b8 m8
:^)
>>
>>52417546
USE CASES OF DISTROS:

Too much time on their hands: Gentoo
Boring office stuff like spread sheets: Red Hat, CentOS
Gaming and noobs general: Ubuntu
Entry-level coding: Debian
Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hacking: Arch
>>
>>52417748
>Gaming and noobs general: Ubuntu
>Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hacking: Arch
hue hue
>>
>>52417584

Because it's FOSS and you have full control of the OS. Auditioned repos and package manager will protect you from malware/viruses that are installed with other programs and will make management of installed apps easier(see chocolatey for Windows).

Also it doesn't need 2GB of RAM and 20GB on your drive to work.
>>
File: 1442658205094.webm (2MB, 284x462px) Image search: [Google]
1442658205094.webm
2MB, 284x462px
>>52417748
>top-end server stuff
>Arch
>>
>>52417748
>top-end server stuff : arch
good joke my firend
>>
>>52417839
>>52417760
ubuntu noob babbies detected

lrn2linux
>>
>>52417546
If you want to learn some cool stuff
If you aren't interested in computers/programming then don't
>>
>>52417845
top quality post!
our friends on reddit would really like it XD
>>
>>52417546
if you compare both OS they have their pros & their cons. Linux is not perfect, but it can improve with the time (most things you can criticize are related to hardware support (drivers and thus not related to linux, but more with companies that doesn't do stuff for it), and the other problems are related to some software, like systemd, alsa/pulseaudio, xorg and other shit like that.

tl;dr : windows is worse than linux and will never improve. Linux is good, with some cons that can be fixed.
>>
its ganooh plus linux
>>
>>52417845
go back to irc "HaXXor"
>>
>>52417922
>implying I use disgusting GNU toe eater shit with my Linux

I'm offended.
>>
If you dont know what you're doing, then yea windows has privacy concerns. kiddies should stick to linux since its easier to maintain.
>>
Will adobe ever release the adobe pack for linux? I'm winfag like OP, but might just make a hackintosh maybe.
>>
>>52417546
Some distros run well on less powerful systems.

That's honestly the only practical reason.
>>
>>52417546
Reliability
Speed
Security
Tweaking/customizing your workflow
Ricing

The main difference is that YOU decide how your computer does what you want. With some time and effort you'll have a computer that's completely catered to your workflow, and you will refuse to go back.

It's the little thing that matter to me, for example in most Linux WMs you can scroll using the mousewheel in a window that isn't highlighted. Occasionally I'll be chatting on IRC or Skype while still browsing the web, and this allows me to scroll through pages and threads without having to lose text focus on IRC.

You'll notice these kinds of little things that makes your life easier with Linux.
>>
>>52417584
Because you're a developer that has no interest in .net, and you want to work with sane toolchains and cli tools for your hobby/job.

If that's not you, then there may be no practical reason, supposing you don't buy in to the botnet meme.
>>
File: san holo.jpg (25KB, 599x441px) Image search: [Google]
san holo.jpg
25KB, 599x441px
>>52418175
>botnet
>meme
>>
I almost switched to linux, but then...

>no ableton

muh bleeps-bloops > muh privacy
>>
>>52418175
>>52417584
PS the other faggots in this thread are probably just a bunch of neets/IT fags that run Linux expressly to:
-avoid the botnet
-feel technically superior to their colleagues at work
-rice

Or, they genuinely believe in FOSS and going out of their way to support it (which is cool).

These may or may not seem like "practical" reasons
to you, but will to others.
>>
>>52418264
How about just hobbyists?

I use Linux because I like tinkering. For my job, I use the computer supplied to me by my job, which runs Windows in my company's domain.

Your generalization is very off, considering people with jobs shouldn't be using their home computers for work anyway, and if they are then their job is shit.
>>
>>52418248
it should run in Wine, considering that's what the Mac version does
>>
>>52417546
I'm so tired of these threads.

> Why use Linux? Too stupid to Google lel
> Anons why don't you give some REAL reasons? ;)
> Wow I just wanted some help youre all neckbeads I'm using Windows/iPhone 12 combo forever now good job have fun with gentoo fags
>>
>>52417584
WOBBLY WINDOWS

3D DESKTOP CUBES WITH AQUARIUMS INSIDE

SPINNING WINDOWS

ABILITY TO DO EVERYTHING FROM A TERMINAL

POWERFUL NATIVE SHELL SCRIPTING
>>
>>52418314
Fair enough. This is /g/ so I wasn't really expecting any rational conversation. Yes, I was over generalizing.

I used it for "hobbyist" purposes years ago as well. Whether or not hobbyist use cases count as "practical" in OPs case (which is the question I was replying to) depends on him.
>>
>>52418335
With the same performance?
>>
>>52418387
>Fair enough. This is /g/ so I wasn't really expecting any rational conversation
Likewise.

You are right though. Unless you're passionate about free software and contributing to open source projects, there are few practical reasons.

They're a bit better for home servers if you're in to that, I suppose.
>>
>>52417546
Since you're too fucking retarded to google it then just forget about it.

Also don't post on /g/
>>
>>52418415
I did run my home media center off a small PC (linux) before buying a commercial product that basically does the same thing, but takes up less space.
>>
>>52418415
Also if you like tinkering, I hope you run gentoo.

Just keeping your OS up to date with `emerge -uDN world` will give you plenty to do weekly. ;)
>>
>>52417549
And second post is meme, well done.
>>
just stay in windows you faggot, dont worry about linux
>>
>>52418056
this. the only thing holding me back from going 100% to linux is that adobe programs are glitchy as fuck with wine
>>
You shouldn't. We don't need people like you.
>>
>>52418392
There's always overhead from running Wine as you're running extra code, but it's apparently good enough to be sold commercially. I don't know how well it would work on Linux though, you'd have to try it, but I'd expect it to be usable.
>>
>>52418165
But Windows has been able to scroll in non-focused windows since at least 8, anon!
>>
>>52418556
What extra code?
>>
>>52418603
since forever if you count 3rd party tools.
the fact that it was only added natively in 8 just shows how incompetent microsoft is.
>>
>>52418548

The more people use Linux the better, anon.
>>
>>52418735
How so?
>>
>>52418548
>We
Prime signifier for trash tier posts.
>>
they're all basically the same source

you should download it if you're into computer shit. otherwise there's no real reason.
>>
>>52418735
Fuck off, we don't want "normie" "plebs" installing "social media" on our operating system and fucking it up.
>>
>>52418248
Just like use bitwig
>>
>>52418670
WINE has to translate Windows system calls into something Linux can use, which sometimes requires more processing because things don't work exactly the same
>>
>>52418781
>we
There it is again.
>>
>>52418772
>>52418856
What's your problem with this pronoun?
>>
>>52418876
Speaking in the first person plural is hubristic.
You are not the king or representative of all Linux users.

The other misuse of the 1st person plural is basking in reflected glory.
>>
>>52418919
No, I'm not.
Saying that we don't need those people is just a true statement. It's not a mater of opinion. I don't feel glorified in any way.
>>
>>52417546
if you are playing games then stick to windows, if you are not playing games then no reason to use windows
>>
Linux has made my life hell. None of my work applications work natively on this piece of shit OS. I have to do practically everything that requires Windows in my workplace while my colleagues keep asking me why I wouldn't just finish this inane shit at home.

I also don't have the time to tinker around with the retarded conf files all over the place every time an update decides to break something again. Like this one time I booted up my computer on a Sunday evening to finish up some of my work for tomorrow. Guess what? X was fucked AGAIN. It took me 5 hours to fix and even still xrandr wasn't detecting my second screen like it used to. I went to bed 3am that day.

I have no idea why anyone would ever use this piece of shit for anything. Do not fall for it.
>>
>>52418947
>we
Who exactly?
Why do you speak for people you don't even know?
>>
>>52418998
epic pasta!
>>
>>52419010
People, who do their computing with descendants of UNIX.
>>
>>52419033
What gives you the authority to speak on their behalf?
>>
>>52419038
Being one of them.
>>
>>52419045
How much cocaine do you use to get an ego this inflated?
>>
>>52419019
100% not pasta. Feel free to google it if you don't believe me. Linux is a fucking nightmare for anyone who has actual responsibilities in their lives.
>>
>>52419059
How much rupee does Microsoft pay you for viral marketing?
>>
>>52419060
why were you using arch or whatever retarded neckbeard distro /g/ told you to?
>>
>>52419088
I've been using GNU/Linux part-time since 1998 and exclusively since 2003.
I'm not egocentric enough to speak for millions of people without being democratically elected to do so.
>>
>>52419127
Explain how can anyone possibly gain from influx of people that have only demands and nothing useful to bring to the table.
>>
>>52417546
>>52418998
>>52419060
>using Linux instead of BSD
Found the problem
>>
>>52419150
Some of their demands might actually be good ideas.
Some of them might get frustrated enough to pay someone to fulfill their demands.
You can always opt to ignore them.
>>
>>52419329
>Some of their demands might actually be good ideas.
Historically, there was no such event yet.
>You can always opt to ignore them.
I can ignore them, but not their impact.
>>
>>52419355
What is their impact?
>>
>>52417549
good meme
>>
>>52418175
>> out their way to support it

Shit that's me...no idea how hard it is but if I try all the Foss and its not up to par there's always the windows VM
>>
Practical reason? Disregarding specific proprietary programs, there is very little downside. Linux will work out of the box and will never slow down or crash. There are program problems here and there, but crashes are utter fiction.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.