[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
/vrg/ - Virtual Reality General
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 275
Thread images: 29
File: hero.jpg (340 KB, 1600x1123) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
hero.jpg
340 KB, 1600x1123
>600$ USD

R.I.P. VR
>>
>>52416819

This will be the first and the last VR general.
>>
I'm gonna save my virginity for VR
>>
>>52416955
>I'm gonna save my virginity for VR
Not like you need to put a lot of effort in to pull that off
>>
>vr general
>headsets not even out yet for another 5-6 months
>>
>>52416819
I don't know, it's not a really bad price. People happily pay more for standard displays.
>>
>>52417132
>People happily pay more for standard displays.

standard displays are more useful

can you imagine having to do word processing for work on a VR headset? i'd need a fucking bucket next to my PC
>>
>>52417227
Sure, but it's V fucking R, people will buy it up for $600. Of course prices will be lower after other brands appear.
>>
>>52417227
>can you imagine having to do word processing for work on a VR headset?
Only if the DPI is sufficient (I guess not now). Otherwise why not? It could be an alternative to multi-monitor setups too with virtual displays.
>>
With the other hardware requirements being so high it's not like this ever was something for people who are a few hundred dollars away from insolvency.

I tried the DK1 some time ago and it felt promising, but the VR experience clearly needs lots of effort from games to work well. Think I'll just wait and see how VR-friendly games (and the next GPU generation) turn out before buying anything.
>>
I don't get it, the hardware is expensive so the product is expensive. $600 doesn't sound unreasonable too me.
>>
>>52417282
>Otherwise why not? It could be an alternative to multi-monitor setups too with virtual displays.
It's not worth the hassle, people like it easy, for good reason.
>>
>>52417314
It was never meant to be that expensive, 499 at best.
>>
File: xJyRnIj.png (47 KB, 431x400) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
xJyRnIj.png
47 KB, 431x400
>It's too expensive!

>backordered until July
>>
We've still got HTC Vive
>>
>>52417282
that is a terrible idea. you are far better off using either 3 $100 1080 screens, or doing something real like buying a 34-37" curved 1440

these things are only good for very niche uses, and desktop monitor replacement is not even close to being one of them
>>
>>52417342
Vive is a shitty clone with no ecosystem
>>
>>52417314
the PS3 couldn't sell for $600, and that was still when consoles were extremely popular and it was off the back of the 150 million selling PS2, not to mention it was a standalone system that just needed a bog standard TV as minimum (didn't even need to be HD), the quality of VR on the other hand is directly linked to the quality of your PC and to get a good experience it needs to be top-end

what chance does VR have?

also history has shown that if a new standard comes out and it doesn't immediately start selling the following happens

1) chicken and the egg scenarios where no content gets produced because it's not selling, and it doesn't sell cause no content
2) investors get spooked and pull their funding
>>
>>52417332
those people would have bought it even if it was 1000 bucks
>>
>>52417227
>>52417282
envelop VR looks cool, don't know how effective CV1 rift and vive will be. Certainly not as effective as a higher resolution monitor with no lens distortion currently.

>https://youtu.be/9h29OE6Byq0?t=73
skip to 1:14
>>
>>52417332
>what is artificial shortages
>>
>>52417356
>what chance does VR have?
People have been buying the developer kits for consumer uses since forever. It's not exactly a "new" product.
>>
>>52416819
More like $850 outside the U.S.
At that price why bother with Facebook shit when the Thai stuff is said to have a) better tech and b) an infinitely better platform.
>>
>>52417325
Sure they could of used cheaper parts but they really want to do it right and not make everyone buy a crappy product that makes them motion sick every 10mins.

>>52417356
People are going to buy it, and it's going to do well. This isn't a gimmick like desktop linux. pew pew
>>
>>52417385
it was half the price and VR was a bigger novelty then than it is now
>>
>>52417353
>no ecosystem
Steam.
A proven platform with a massive market that the majority of developers already familiar with.

Compare this to Facebook which has no history at all in game development beyond the level of IAP browser shite.
>>
>>52417370
the dumbest fucking thing about shit like that is they try to recreate a fake desk and your hands typing and shit. that is the very definition of a fucking gimmick.

and the worst part is if all you do is look at marketing videos and peoples reactions on youtube, you are just being a fucking tool with 100% no idea of the image quality, the field of view, the blurriness on the edges, and the reality that shit that looks neat on paper is instantly destroyed by the fact that in the real world it is just fucking dumb
>>
>>52417358
I bought one and I definitely wouldn't have ordered it if it was $700.

$599 is reasonable because it's the same price as a flagship smartphone. I can withhold a year of upgrades for it.
>>
>>52417353
>shitty clone
Valve was working on it before Oculus even existed, and it uses a different, superior tracking method.
>ecosystem
Most of the games support both systems, even some Oculus-funded one according to Palmer, the only truly exclusive games are the first-party Oculus Studios games.
Also Vive has the big advantage of coming with motion controllers and two lighthouses so it encourages more unique VR games right off the bat unlike the Rift which settled with being just a different kind of monitor.
>>
File: fauerr.jpg (249 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
fauerr.jpg
249 KB, 1024x1365
>>52416819
CHECK OUT MY 2DOLLAR VR
RIP OCCULUS
>>
>>52417428
The rift will be able to use steam too. But I highly doubt the vive will work with the oculus store.
>>
>>52416819
>buys up shitty 120/144hz TN gayman display for $600 no problem
>oh no, two high-res, high-refresh displays /and advanced electronics cost same
Literally die, you retard. Just because they're smaller, it doesn't make the dual displays in the headset any less technologically advanced, in fact they're even better, since they have to deal with issues that monitors can get away with.
>>
I hope the rift makes facefuck go bankrupt
>>
>>52417488
VR could be dead in 3 years, a monitor will still be useful in 10
>>
>>52417470
>But I highly doubt the vive will work with the oculus store.
Gee what a loss.
>>
alright /g/. let's say you had a virtual realty set that wasn't actual shit. What would it be like?
>>
>>52417470
Oculus Store doesn't dictate which SDKs the developers support and the vast majority of them will be smart enough to support both.
>>
>>52417535
Rift is the original though.
>>
>>52417351
>you are far better off using either 3 $100 1080 screens
What if I want 3x non-TN 16:10 120hz screens?
These don't even exist
Not to mention the price if I also want them wall-sized

I can't wait for 2k+ VR HMDs and will use them to replace my monitors asap
>>
>>52417428
Wait, hold on, are you saying games will be locked on per VR type, like a console exclusive.
>>
>>52417500
But if VR is just a monitor strapped to your face, then how could it possibly stop being useful?
Check mate.
>>
>>52417570
Probably exclusives

They both use different methods of tracking so devs will have to implement both.

There are already waifu simulators for the rift so that's what I'm going with
>>
>>52417583
a monitor with no benefit unless its used for VR content, and a whole lot of downsides
>>
>>52417557
why would you need 3 120Hz monitors unless gaming?
>>
File: ponoplayer_02.jpg (111 KB, 605x472) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ponoplayer_02.jpg
111 KB, 605x472
Dead on arrival tech general?
>>
>>52417353
Vive is going to cost upwards of 1300.

SonyVR is going to cost 800+

Oculus is as cheap as VR gets folks.
>>
>>52417570
Oculus is funding platform exclusives.
>>
>>52417617
I'm autistic and 60hz refresh rate triggers me
Mostly using my current 3x 16:9 120hz IPS setup for programming
>>
>>52417525
200 dollars cheaper than the Oculus Rift.
>>
>>52417628
Only Oculus Studios games are exclusive, Oculus-funded games are not.
>>
>>52417660
It won't be optimized for the vive
>>
>>52417556
VR HMDs existed since the 70's and were very popular in arcades in the 90's, it's not a novel concept.
>>
Oculus Rift is going to be the next Kinect.

Everyone thought the same shit about Kinect, said the same shit about Kinect, and look what happened to that technology.

What makes sense in your imagination doesn't actually happen in reality, once you come to realize that this technology does not actually improve your workflow or enjoyment of anything, in fact, it hinders it in many ways.

VR has been a gimmick since forever. Everyone knew this was going to happen.
>>
>some people a literary paying $600 for a pack of corn flakes to put on their head
>>
>>52417525
If the oculus would be for free and if I would earn money for wearing it (without seeing advertisement), and if its supported by gentoo, then it would be the perfect product.
>>
>>52417675
You know what I mean faggot
>>
>>52417687
I thought Kinect was amazing the first time I tried it too

I told people they only had to try it, then they'd know how good it really was!

Damn the novelty wore out fast when I actually took it home
>>
>>52417673
Both systems are almost identical, they use the same resolution and framerate and output the same kind of position and rotation tracking information, I would be surprised if you needed different optimizations for each system.
>>
>>52417687
VR is different
kek you obv havent ever used a good VR headset
>>
>>52417525
It would be like a GNU Linux operating system achieving mainstream adoption, a virtual reality.
>>
>>52417500
>>52417613
VR has existed for decades, longer than most people here were alive. It's never been or will be a useless technology for the people who need it and at worst, the military, universities, Hollywood and other organizations will buy them up (if they aren't already) for technically important reasons.

Shit like 3D was never important to anyone, and it never started as a grassroots effort, it was just shoved down everyone's throats from day 1. VR didn't become popular until strong public interest and demand exploded from out of nowhere when the Rift was first introduced, this is something people genuinely want and companies are desperately scrambling to get their HMDs out now.
>>
>>52417746
Fov are different so indie (porn) will work better on rift
>>
File: 1438978861188.jpg (40 KB, 355x417) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1438978861188.jpg
40 KB, 355x417
>>52417755
>being this delusional
>>
>>52416819
Seems like a fair price to me. It's a brand new piece of technology. I'd be willing to bet in three years the price will be cut in half and same with the price of computer hardware to run it.
>>
>>52417765
Both are 110° but Oculus is slightly wider and Vive slightly taller, there are some conflicting reports about the FOV which I suspect is because of individual IPS adjustments for each user which changed FOV.
>>
>They use VR ready logo only for 970+ cards because of the Multi Res Shading (based on the multi projection hardware in maxwell) that can achieve 20+% performance boost in VR in supported engines. Even 950 has this feature in the chip, but 780ti doesn't. This is just technological progress. New GPUs are not just more transistors, they are actually new architectures.
>>
Sony will have the pleb tier cuck glasses
>>
>>52417812
AMD is finished
>>
>>52417525
If I had to describe it with one word, revolutionary

The experience would be so unreal you won't notice it never existed.

Why invest in bulky hardware when you can play pretend. For that is what a true virtual reality experience is all about after all, the ultimate form of presence and immersion.

Your brain will be so immersed in imagination that you will truly believe there is a piece of plastic strapped to your forehead.
>>
What can you even do with google cardboard? Are there any applications made for it, can you even plug it to your PC and use it like a OR?
>>
$600 is not expensive....
Sure I'd rather pay $200, but if you think $600 is so expensive it would kill the rift then:

1. You work at McDonald's
2. You're a teenager
3. You're just poor
>>
>>52417856
ur dad was so immersed when I put my plastic on his forehead lmao
>>
>>52417687

VR is going to have a niche market at least

I mean people who are serious about flight simulators will no doubt enjoy VR
>>
File: 1445364061748.gif (4 MB, 344x203) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1445364061748.gif
4 MB, 344x203
>>52417884
ayyyyyy
>>
>>52417890
>not truck simulators
>>
>>52417627
>Sony VR
>$800

You should never run a business.

Sony VR will top out at $300 MAX.
>>
>>52417876
It's pretty nice for watching videos if your phone's screen is good enough. There are media players with Cardboard support, and Google's YouTube app has a VR mode.
>>
>>52417877
People are surprised at the price because Palmer promised almost half of that.
Sure the price of the HMD + the price of a computer powerful enough to run VR is prohibitively expensive for mainstream adoption but that's how it works with any new tech, the first tablet for example was $3000.
>>
>>52417918
I'm reporting what I heard from the sony demos at conventions.

Google it. Sony reps have already mentioned something in the range of 800 or more, at least.
>>
>>52417353
Steam own all the games so your wrong
>>
>>52417755
>Shit like 3D was never important to anyone, and it never started as a grassroots effort
>VR didn't become popular until strong public interest

hah, talk about begging the question

VR isn't popular, just because a small but vocal self selected group of silicon valley nerds with escapism fantasies championed a product, and then got money to shill it doesn't say shit about its actual rapport with the public

right now it's literally in the same phase as 3D television, it's been shoved down our throats for FOUR YEARS even though no commercial product has been released

no fucking unreleased entertainment product can have high-level sustained hype for four years without a lot of shilling at play

there's nothing grassroots about it
>>
File: 1436771429846.gif (2 MB, 286x258) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1436771429846.gif
2 MB, 286x258
>>52417755
>facebook
>grassroots

I'm laughing so hard right now, holy shit.
>>
Soon™
>>
ITT:
>people that never tried VR

I'm actually amazed at how dumb /g/ is.
>>
>>52417984
FB only bought them once they smelled money though, if it was FB's project from the start, that'd be something else.
>>
>yfw gookmoot creates a new board for VR porn
>>
>>52417926
Basically.

People complain about $600.
People say games are too expensive, while in like 1997 killer instinct cost $80 on release....
>>
>>52418005
try using >>>/I/
>>
>>52418062
>>>/l/
>>
File: 1342305319485.png (129 KB, 395x386) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1342305319485.png
129 KB, 395x386
at this point it would be more realistic to get a girlfriend and actual life than to believe you're going to have a virtual one.
>>
>>52418045
>People say games are too expensive, while in like 1997 killer instinct cost $80 on release....

you know, this works both fucking ways

people in the 90s happily paid $80 for killer instinct, a 2D game that would go for about $1 on the app store now, because that was the technological expectation

and yet, nobody bought 90s VR, even though it sucked compared to modern technology and was expensive, compared to other things at the time it had a massive WOW factor

millionaires didn't even want to buy one, and a lot of people on here grossly underestimate the quality of 90s VR without having ever tried it (it's part of the oculus shill narrative - rewrite history that the failure of old VR doesn't count because it was irredeemably shit)

old VR knew its technology wasn't amazing so it aimed not at realism but a "woah, you're inside the computer" experience, for what it was it was pretty good

and NOBODY wanted it aside from amusement parks because the novelty wears off after a few hours of use

new VR hasn't changed in that respect, better technology but gets old just as fast
>>
>>52418154
nobody gives a shit about your predictions tbqh, stop shitting up the thread.
>>
File: 1452696942965.jpg (195 KB, 2048x874) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452696942965.jpg
195 KB, 2048x874
One question- how is ANY of this VR?

1- Just a 2d film, where you can change viewing angle
2- Stereoscopic? 2 different views
3- You can move around and look and things - requires a 3D environment to be rendered

That porn VR thing is basically only (1) . You cannot change your viewing position, only your angle, which surely is not VR right? Its 2d - not even stereoscoping imaging.

How long until we can have (3) ?
>>
>>52418154
He was talking about price not people wanting to buy Virtual Boy.

$600 isn't expensive. Thats a fact
>>
>>52418207
VR stands for Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality stands for computer simulation that emulates reality
That means real video can never be VR by definition

But anyway, real videos that let you change your viewing angles will come once Lightfield cameras are mainstream.
>>
>>52417637
4chan autistic out real life autistic?
>>
>>52418250
>$600 isn't expensive. Thats a fact
and yet PS3 couldn't sell at $600
>>
>>52418207
Your (3) is what the oculus is.
>>
>>52418296
$600 isn't expensive.

The biggest hurdle is buying that $1000 computer with an 970/i5.
>>
>>52416819
>not being able to afford things
>being a poorfag in general
Oh sweetie....
>>
File: 1424794747294.jpg (57 KB, 704x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1424794747294.jpg
57 KB, 704x480
>>52418333
s-senpai... please touch my ochinchin~
>>
>>52418328
>$600 isn't expensive.
yes it is

nobody is going to spend $600 on a product they don't know if they will like won't get sick using

not that many people have tried VR, only the people who were already interested in it and went out of their way to attend a tech convention or buy a developer's kit, these are VERY far from typical consumers

just about everybody has used a computer monitor, just about everybody's used a regular computer
>>
>>52416819
>Ultimate in first person 3D virtual reality
>Bundled with third person Mario64 clone and a controller from an xbox
RIP
>>
>>52418394
Why do you keep ignoring the system requirements?
>>
If HTC manages a price of $700 or less for Vive then it will blow Rift out of the fucking water since it's such a superior product.
>>
Kickstarted it, feel good. Free cv1. Don't think I've ever gotten something for free just for buying something 4 years back.
>>
>>52418426
it's a factor as well certainly but getting a powerful gaming computer works for VR games and non-VR games, you can also do productivity on a gaming computer, browse the internet and answer your emails

while a VR headset has virtually no use outside of VR content

a gaming computer costs a lot more, definitely, but the RISK of buying a $600 VR headset is waaaaaay too high
>>
>>52418459
It's a good marketing move, it pressures people into pre-ordering thinking they might miss out on other possible freebies.
>>
>>52418468
>while a VR headset has virtually no use outside of VR content

Well no shit, it's like saying a car has no uses outside of doing car stuff.

If $600 is too high for you then in all likelihood you don't have the minimum system requirements nor can you afford the VR titles. You aren't their target audience.
>>
>>52418468
>>52418550
You can watch movies in a VR cinema, the effect is pretty cool.
>>
>>52417937
PSVR has to come with a coprocessor box (I'm not shit what to call it) because the PS4 is weaksauce.

That definitely adds to the price.
>>
File: RMPaX61.jpg (68 KB, 1000x556) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
RMPaX61.jpg
68 KB, 1000x556
>>52416819
FEBRUARY 29TH GET HYPE
>>52418207
pic related; there's a difference between 360 video and an actual virtual environment. Many within the VR community have started to not call that medium virtual reality because it won't be strictly be able to be considered as such until hardware that does light field mapping gets cheaper.

yet people still call it VR because it's easier to say than "3D 360 video"
>>
>>52418550
>Well no shit, it's like saying a car has no uses outside of doing car stuff.

that's a terrible analogy, it's more like buying a sports car has no speed advantage if you drive on public roads

>If $600 is too high for you then in all likelihood you don't have the minimum system requirements nor can you afford the VR titles. You aren't their target audience.
i can afford $600 dude, i just bought a gaming PC for a lot more than that, it's actually VR ready

but most people don't blindly spend money just because they have it, rich people didn't get to be rich by not being frugal

even though there were plenty of Sony fanboys that bought the PS3 at $600 it wasn't even CLOSE to enough to get it over the line and be a profitable console because most people rationally saw that the PS3 didn't have the content to make it worth the price (even though it had blu-ray)

and people KNEW that the PS3 was going to have at least 5 years of support, VR might not even make it to 2018
>>
File: DwUPIIH.jpg (101 KB, 500x935) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
DwUPIIH.jpg
101 KB, 500x935
>>52418207
>>52418659
forgot pic
>>
>>52417332
None of that is a sale yet,b you didn't need to make a deposit.
>>
>>52418665
What is your point again? Your opinion is that vr won't make it?
>>
>>52418665
For VR it's not a matter of dying or not, it's a matter of how fast it will grow.
All industry professionals project a billionaire VR market, no one is expecting it to die.

But I still recommend people wait for gen 2 anyway.
>>
>>52417227
Create a VR program that simulates 5 4K 144hz monitors sitting on a desk.

Checkmate.
>>
>>52418719
>Your opinion is that vr won't make it?

no, my opinion is that at $600 it fails cost-benefit risk analysis as a consumer product

VR definitely has a chance to make it but its future could hardly be considered secure at these prices
>>
>>52418766
There already is, and Google is working on a VR-oriented OS.
The problem with the current gen of VR is that the resolution is just not high enough for virtual desktops to be really useful since you can't read shit with the low res.
>>
>>52418734
>All industry professionals project a billionaire VR market

http://www.3dom3deyewear.com/3d-industry-news/global-tv-sales-seen-to-grow-3d-tv-good-news-for-3dtv-buyers

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-3d-forecasts-idUSTRE74512020110506

>no one is expecting it to die.
https://medium.com/@kevinrose/five-tech-predictions-for-2016-d1435d9423b4#.fvz0l7goa
>>
>>52418767
What risk? The headset itself isn't the product. The games and experiences are.

I don't know man it really sounds like you're some assblasted poorfag mad because the rift isn't $2.99 like you hoped.
>>
>>52418793
The retard thinks AR will be mainstream before VR.
If he had even minimal knowledge of this shit he would know AR is MUCH MUCH harder to do than VR, the technology is still much farther away.

As for 3D TV it has the huge disadvantage of just being a minor variant of already established tech and the technology sucks since you need to wear glasses that darken the picture, no one wants to buy one because they already have TVs.

Anyone who tried the current VR knows how amazing and how different it is from current monitors, the only thing stopping it from becoming mainstream RIGHT NOW is price.
>>
>>52418835
>The headset itself isn't the product. The games and experiences are.

the headset is the product, and the games/experiences are the content

you have to pay $600 (on top of upgrading your PC if you haven't already) to get to that content
>>
>>52418932
>and the games/experiences are the content
No, because they aren't included. The product is the games and that's where the money is.
>>
>>52418283
certified autism
>>
>>52418792
This wouldn't really be a problem with a "native" VR OS that grid-aligns text to the physical panel rather than rendering it on a surface and sampling it
But yeah, for virtual desktop it's too low atm
>>
>>52418250
there were $600 pc hmds in the 90s and no one bought them because no one wants to spend that much on an hmd. palmer even said himself that at $600 the rift might as well not exist because no one will buy them.
>>
>>52418012
LOW POLY SHITTY REPETITIVE MOTIONS.
>>
>>52421739
no one bought them in the nineties because they were just terrible

now $600 is still too much for mainstream
but the hardware itself may as well be sold for $6000+
arch viz companies and the sort would still buy them en masse because the advantages over regular displays are just huge
>>
>>52418045
>killer instinct cost $80 on release

Killer instinct was an arcade hit. People knew what they were purchasing before they got it.

With Occulus Rift however people don't know:
>don't know if it'll be dead in a year
>don't know if there will be enough games
>don't know how many available games justify a purchase
>don't know if it'll be replaced in 6 months
>don't know if it'll cause problems with long term use

Just with any business consistency is key. People need to know what they're buying. Occulus is in the best position to accidentally KILL VR forever if they get people to believe Rift and Vive are the same product. They're clearly not the same product, but will both be labeled as VR thus creating more inconsistency and uncertainty in peoples minds when they are looking to purchase their "new VR headset."
>>
>>52418708
I'm kind of hoping people drop out. I don't want to wait until april or may.
>>
>>52421739
They were also shit, and $600 then would be like $1000 now.
>>
They need to bundle it with a popular game like COD. That would get it into at least 10 million homes.
>>
I would buy the oculus for 600 just as a monitor attached to my face.
>>
>>52423503
And then 9 million of them would complain that they didn't know it requires a PC to play.
>>
>>52423503
Something like COD or CS:GO wouldn't work for VR
Competitive VR shooters will all use teleportation to move around quickly because running with a joystick would make you motion sick
>>
File: 1448146509058.jpg (296 KB, 569x802) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1448146509058.jpg
296 KB, 569x802
What's the likelihood that Rift games will support SLI?

And would dual GTX 970s be enough to compensate for my i5 3570k, which falls below the recommended Rift specs?
>>
>>52423858
It's already confirmed
Dual GPU is ideal for VR because you can just use one for each eye
No input lag and scales very well
>>
>>52423942
So you don't think the 3570k will be a problem?
>>
>>52423858
overclock it you git. one 970 is fine, overclock it you git

march 28th shipping date here, you boys mad
>>
>>52424022
My 970 is the PNY version which doesn't support overclocking as far as I know
>>
>>52423978
No, the CPU is fast enough
You cannot compensate for a slow CPU or GPU though
If either one is running at 100% the other one has to wait for it
>>
>>52423464
>They were also shit
for their time they were less shit. the rift will also look shit to people in 20 years.

>would be like $1000 now.
yeah but you could pick them up retail, for the rift you don't have that option. $1000 is closer to the actual price of the rift for most people.
>>
>>52416819
>$1 = 1€ conversion rate
>699€
>bargain price
>>
>>52424102
>for their time they were less shit.
but they had zero practical uses
>>
People were dumb enough to buy 1.6GHz octocore PCs disguised as game consoles. VR is the only next logical step in my mind. I don't know if it's going to be Oculus, Samsung, Google, or what. VR isn't a meme and it isn't going away. Bring on the haptic feedback gloves already.
>>
>>52417332
Half the sales will get canceled if HTC doesn't fuck up on pricing.
>>
>>52424171
The vive is going to cost around 1300$ US dollars.

Google it.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (146 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
146 KB, 1920x1080
>>52424196
>Google it.

And get nothing but shitty speculation? Yeah ok
>>
>>52424117
Plus shipping and taxes. Total, it's $810 here in central EU.
>>
>>52424225
are you retarded or something?
>>
>>52417627
Citation needed
>>
>>52424225
Well, that estimation on the Rift sure was accurate.

>the sole pro is: "Backed by Facebook"

Bloomberg, please.
>>
>>52424225
Bro that says est. And thats probably a mock up from some time ago. I saw somewhere too its supposed to be 1300$
>>
>>52416819
VR is a shitty gimmick and will stay niche
just like 3D TVs
>>
>>52424275
https://www.google.com/search?q=vive%20price#q=vive+price&tbm=nws
>>
>>52424269
Yeah you mean that non-english news article with no source and said oculus was owned by Google? If you're taking its random speculation seriously you're an idiot, an oculus fanboy or both.

We have no idea how much the vive will cost. End.
>>
File: 1445013672504.gif (503 KB, 500x333) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1445013672504.gif
503 KB, 500x333
>>52424298
>it will go away as long as you maintain a blindly dismissive negative attitude toward it and spam the word gimmick over and over
>>
>>52417556
Or would that be valve's hmd which was demoed to cockulus? Which sparked cuckerberger buy cockulus, too
>>
>>52424269
Are you? There's nothing confirmed on price yet for the Vive, there isn't even anything to go on yet. No one has even done a breakdown on what's being used in the Vive DK1. Best we have to go by is that they're using Nidec hard drive motors in the Lighthouse base stations.

>>52424293
>thats probably a mock up from some time ago

It's from this fucking month. Days before they announced price. Hell you can tell it's recent from the engineering sample of CV1 they used.

>I saw somewhere too its supposed to be 1300$

In rumormill there's prices from $500 to $2500. Doesn't mean shit.
>>
File: 1427741480691.jpg (36 KB, 441x212) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1427741480691.jpg
36 KB, 441x212
>>52424327
>>
>>52424298
Nintendo's Virtual Boy 3d was a shitty gimmick. This is real, affordable, VR. The only thing notably absent is gloves with haptic feedback.
>>
>>52416819
>A
>FUCKING
>BOX
>WITH LENSES AND LCD
>>
>>52424120
the rift won't have much use either if developers drop it because of poor sales.
>>
>>52424327
>>52424352

The source is a trusted news source. Your opinion of that source is irrelevant. That you do not trust it is irrelevant. If you want to discredit Focus Taiwan, please provide your own source citing them as having a history of providing poor information.

Also, it's a brokerage report, meaning, they're estimating the price based on international stock exchange rates. It could vary, sure, but not by the amount you're claiming.
>>
>>52424102
>for their time they were less shit

This makes zero practical difference, as VR must reach a certain standard before it is anything but a miserable, nauseating experience. It's only just recently gotten to that point
>>
>>52424551
Trusted news source doesn't have anything to do with it. It's more speculation and they even say a such.
>>
>>52424428
It already has more than enough uses outside of gaming
>>
>>52424551
>It could vary, sure, but not by the amount you're claiming.

Uhh, it can vary a great fucking deal. They don't give any info on what the exchange is. In BR a PS4 costs $1,800 US
>>
>>52424627
It's speculation from experts in foreign trade markets.

The point is, yes it could be less than 1,500. However, the only reason you're even having this reaction is because you think that's a lot of money. It's only a lot of money for a specific target demographic. HTC has already stated that their primary market for the Vive is industrial development, military, medical tech, and so forth, not gamers.

I can see it going as low as 1,000, just to make it more accessible, but that's it. Even the SonyVR is going to cost more than the Oculus.
>>
>>52424663
i'm not just talking about game developers.
>>
>>52424680
>HTC has already stated that their primary market for the Vive is industrial development, military, medical tech, and so forth, not gamers.

Where in the fuck did they say that? This is why they've basically only shown gaming type demos? Why would Valve even partner with them? God you're fucking dumb.

>Even the SonyVR is going to cost more than the Oculus.

They've already denied the $800 price. Stop going off of rumors dumbshit.
>>
>>52424719
>Where in the fuck did they say that? This is why they've basically only shown gaming type demos? Why would Valve even partner with them?

Not to mention it was announced at GDC, they've basically only made a presence at gaming conferences.
>>
File: 1441575014051.jpg (247 KB, 800x941) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1441575014051.jpg
247 KB, 800x941
>>52424719
>ad hominem
>more opinions without a source

Yeah, we're done here.
>>
God /g/ is the most retarded fucking forum on here. How does any intelligent person expect the consumer release of a brand new tech to be "moderately" priced? Do you even fucking live on planet earth? Hype is maximum, cost is maximum, supply is minimum, and usefulness is also minimum.

I knew this shit when I was 9 years old and my mom was telling me how I shouldn't buy the first batch of any new tech. "it's always the most expensive and most buggy"
>>
>>52424753
>>more opinions without a source

That's what the guy I'm replying to is doing? Where's HTC saying they aren't aiming for gaming?

Here's Sony denying it costing what came up on Canada's Amazon
http://vrfocus.com/archives/27718/sony-denies-800-price-tag-for-playstation-vr/
>>
>>52424791
Thank you. Now I know that I was wrong about the SonyVR price.
>>
>>52418037
it's not because /g/ is dumb.

90% of /g/ is just dirt poor and relies on moms allowance
>>
>>52424680
>PS VR is going to cost more than Oculus

They've said they intend for it to be "console-priced".
Given that it involves less advanced tech than Rift and Vive and that they'll want to make it relatively accessible for the PS4's large installed base, I'd expect something in the $400 range.
>>
>>52424843
Great, now stop calling it "SonyVR". It's PSVR or Morpheus.
>>
>>52424689
Sales are less important outside of gaming
Barely anyone has a 3Dconnexion device for example but all major 3d modeling packages support it because of the large workflow improvement it provides
And it's not difficult to add support to your own software as well
>>
>>52424758
>How does any intelligent person expect the consumer release of a brand new tech to be "moderately" priced?
when the company repeatedly made it clear it was their intention to release something priced similarly to the dev kits. people had no reason not to believe them, and it was only at the last minute where they changed their mind and decided to make a premium device.
>>
>>52424861
You knew what I meant.
>>
>>52424896
Of course I did but you keep getting shit wrong like a dumbass. Just stop posting.
>>
>>52424849
It's going to have processors attached to boost performance, I expect it to cost more.

But maybe sony's got some tricks up its sleeves.
>>
>>52424902
So far the only shit I got wrong was the price of the SonyVR.

Calm down there, slick.
>>
>>52416819
Would this kind of VR have any application in university instruction?

Like for example creating a program that simulates an operation (realistic looking body, functions, problems etc).
>>
>>52418431
if the vive would be as cheap as the rift, vive surely would hint at that already

any other than that, rumors suggest a 1500$ price tag
>>
>>52424889
>believing any company before release of a new product line

Would you believe them if they promised that the oculus would come with a free blow job too?
>>
>>52424920
No you've gotten everything wrong. You still haven't provided a source where HTC has said they aren't aiming for gaming yet everything they've done indicates they are especially considering how close they're tied with Valve. Oculus had done far more outside the gaming sphere than HTC has done with the Vive.
>>
>>52424953
I didn't say they weren't aiming for gaming. I said they care more about other markets.

Also, you shouldn't use all inclusive qualifiers like "everything" when you make sweeping generalizations. It makes you look stupid and puts you in a box where you cannot possibly prove what you're stating.
>>
File: SabOnline770.gif (90 KB, 2123x768) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
SabOnline770.gif
90 KB, 2123x768
THE FUTUUUUURREEE
>>
>>52424903
The same framerate upscaling tech is included in Rift and Vive though, just not in a separate Wii-sized box
>>
>>52424938
people believed them because they were able to get out dev kits at that price even when they were produced in much smaller numbers and without facebook's backing. they could have made a slightly better dk2 and sold it for $400. that's what they were originally going to and what people were expecting.
>>
>>52424981
>I said they care more about other markets.

So provide a source.

>Also, you shouldn't use all inclusive qualifiers like "everything" when you make sweeping generalizations

But you've been wrong about everything in this conversation.

>It makes you look stupid and puts you in a box where you cannot possibly prove what you're stating.

The irony. You know what looks stupid? Posting rumors and speculation that you can't prove as fact. All I've done here is point this out to you. I'm not making any claims, only asking for citations on your bullshit and calling you out on taking rumors and speculation as accurate or even fact.
>>
>>52424953
I was right about the price speculation for the Vive, I was wrong about the price speculation for the Morpheus.

Lack of a source to prove that HTC is more interested in markets besides gaming is not proof that they are not interested in markets besides gaming. That would be called an "argument from ignorance", i.e. you cannot infer that lack of evidence is evidence of non-existence unless there is good reason to believe a thing is false.
>>
>>52424998
It was well know that the dev kits were going to be way more inferior than the release.
>>
>>52425033
Okay kid.

Then provide us all with a source showing that Vive is primarily targeting gamers and not other markets?

Without proof of YOUR statement, we seem to be at a stalemate. And again, I was right about the price speculation of the Vive, you were wrong about that.
>>
>>52418207
1. it's not VR, that's right

2. those 2 different views, which can render a 180° or 360° degree field of view and goggle distortions and you get cropped in to see everything in the correct, lifelike size.

3. 3d rendered porn environments are already possible but very limited for obvious reasons, you might wait 2-3 years for a mansion with more photorealistic looks and animations on pussibilities

the vr porn industry are creating detailed 3d photogrammetry photos of their models at this very second
>>
>>52425062
>Lack of a source to prove that HTC is more interested in markets besides gaming is not proof that they are not interested in markets besides gaming.

Of course not, I never made the claim they did dumbass, only that it looks to be the opposite. You did and I'm asking for source.

>>52425089
See above dumbo. I didn't make a claim. I'm stating that what they've done shows otherwise. I'm not saying they are. It's pathetic how hard you're trying to squeeze out of this.

Where's your fucking source?

>I was right about the price speculation of the Vive, you were wrong about that.

What was I wrong about? I said in the very first post it was shitty speculation and that's exactly what it is.
>>
>>52425131
Then prove it is a shitty speculation.

Not your retarded "hurr durr, chink news source" bullshit.

Proof.
>>
>>52425161
See >>52424665

Also where's the source for HTC? Are you not going to post it?
>>
>>52418012
>an experience like you've never had before
>>
>>52425080
they always intended to make the cv1 better than the dk2, but most people expected the difference to be similar to the difference between dk1 and dk2 so they could meet that $350 ballpark claim. so just slap a better screen in it, refine the casing a bit and sell it for $400, not two custom screens, custom optics and audiophile headphones and dac for double the price of the previous model.
>>
>>52416819
> not even 2560x1440
> not even 120 Hz
> still 600 dollarydoos

so with all their shekelbook buxx, their specially-developed screen actually has LESS resolution than commodity 5.5"-6" smartphone screens?

Why are they targeting people with GTX 960 tier trash GPUs with a $600 display?
>>
>>52425182
Are you drunk?

You just linked to some anon's word.
>>
>>52425202
> rendering 90 FPS on 2x2560x1440
literally impossible
>>
>>52425212
That is my post and that's a reason why it's a poor speculation if you're even going to consider "foreign brokerages" a good source in the first place which is a poor assumption in the first place.
>>
>>52424933
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHVLXm_qvU

the possibilties are endless
>>
>>52425131
>I never made a claim
>I only claimed that

A counter-claim is a claim, and you need to back up yours that "everything looks to be the opposite". You need to give us good reason to believe your statements as well.

>>52425249
More opinions.
>>
>>52424933
It's basically Ready Player One.
>>
>>52425229
Here is a game designed around VR. What makes you think this can't be run at those framer ates at that resolution?

https://youtu.be/BjjQtge5ssQ
>>
>>52425212
> You need to give us good reason to believe your statements as well.

How about you do it first and post source for HTC saying the primary market isn't gamers? Going to bug you until you do.

>More opinions.

Just like you thinking it's a good source. There really isn't a way to prove anything since there's hardly any info to go on in the first place. I'd say that in itself is a good enough reason to call it a poor speculation.
>>
>>52425229
but cv1 is lower res than one 2560x1440 screen.
>>
>>52424988
Rift and Vive don't have interpolation.
>>
>>52425229
> implying Rift isn't just 2x1080x1200
> implying that 2x1280x1440 would be insanely higher
>>
>>52425334
meant for >>52425295
>>
>>52425362
Time warp is a little like interpolation, there's interpolated data rendered based on predicted head movement.
>>
>>52425229
you're off by a factor of 2x, faggot.

rift is a 2160x1200 (2.6MP) OLED screen split between both eyes.
standard 1440p (3.7MP), still split between the eyes, would be ~1.4x as many pixels for additional ~20% sharper.
>>
>>52425301
S A U C E
>>
>>52425406
i thought this was just done in software.
>>
>>52425229
VR doesn't need to render twice, it's only about 15% more processing required than a traditional screen of the same resolution and framerate.
>>
>>52425486
>high performance low-latency graphics
>in software
>>
>>52425435
rift is two custom 1080x1200 screens. it's part of why it costs so much now.
>>
>>52424551
>please provide your own source citing them as having a history of providing poor information.

How about right in the same article?

http://focustaiwan tw/news/ast/201601120023.aspx

>The Oculus Rift, which has investment from Google,
How in the fuck do you get this wrong?

>The Sony PlayStation VR is expected to be priced at US$1,125.
They already denied it and it was $1,125 canadian, not US.
>>
>>52425515
sauce on this?

and what advantage does this really bring?
it would probably be a fuckload cheaper just to use a slightly larger, higher res screen with some pixels in the middle unused if need be
>>
>>52425508
but the dk2 could do asynchronous time warp without any additional hardware.
>>
> $101,500 USD
R.I.P. Fully electric cars
>>
>>52425586
I think the way phone screens refresh is one reason. With the DK2 the screens would refresh from left to right. With these new screens I assume they have a global refresh.

Also with custom screens they can match the optics better, less screen wasted.
>>
>>52425613
Now imagine there's no alternative car to drive except for some chinese shitbox that can only hit 35mph. That's what VR is like right now.
>>
>>52425586
i'm not sure. ipd adjustment i guess, but like you say, i don't see why they couldn't just slide the image on screen and only physically move the lenses.
>>
File: 572413838.jpg (35 KB, 398x307) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
572413838.jpg
35 KB, 398x307
>>52416819
>>
>>52425586
Two half screens are cheaper than one big screen.
>>
>>52425684
the other way around.
>>
>>52425684
two big screens are cheaper than one half screen?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcsa91GAjK4

BLACKED
>>
>>52425655

there will be a lot more VR devices coming this year though. I think PSVR has the best chance to push VR to the mass market
>>
>>52425655
Tesla -> expensive gas car
Oculus -> 4k screen

Tesla -> mid range hybrid
Oculus -> Gear VR

Tesla -> hypothetical upcoming competitor
Oculus -> Vive
>>
>>52418394
>>52417694
get a job faggots
>>
>>52417694
>not wanting to pay 600$ in a year for quality cornflakes
>>
>>52417694
>no head straps
>>
>>52425767
PSVR is like riding the bus
>>
>>52425780
[spoiler]no u[/spoiler]
>>
>>52424551 see >>52425571

End of discussion. They couldn't get basic facts correct, then their "trusted source" is total fucking garbage.
>>
>>52424237
Do you know why the price is so high in EU? That's right, it's because they are selling in EU, that means NO IMPORT TAX!!!! They are literally selling it in EU with taxes, that's why it is already in that high cost zone, there are NO IMPORT TAXES ON IT!!!
>>
File: 1405379126519.png (549 KB, 600x594) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1405379126519.png
549 KB, 600x594
DEAD ON ARRIVAL
E
A
D

O
N

A
R
R
I
V
A
L
>>
>$600 for a vidya peripheral
Horey shet that's expensive

>$600 for what can be described as two smartphones and a set of prescription lenses bolted together
Horey shet that's a steal
>>
>>52425202
>not even 2560x1440
What? I was sure it was.
1440x1440 per eye or something.
>>
>>52417460
I have those same glasses and I'm a giant faggot. Do you want to hook up, anon?
>>
>>52431756
it's 2160x1200 total, with some confusion about whether the 2160 is split to 1080 per eye across one big or two smaller panels.
>>
>>52424680
Oculus shill pls.
>>
>>52428659
You sure about that?
>>
>pro's: backed by facebook
I haven't laughed this hard for a long time.
Might as well say that 10% of the profit went to peta or kkk.
>>
>>52423942
I feel that this statement is very wrong.

Does anyone have a source on dual GPU rendering being any less shit on VR than normal gaming?
>>
>>52416819
>Early adoption is expensive.
In other news, water is wet.
>>
>>52434602
>water is wet
no shit Sherlock, so was your mother's pussy when I fucked her last night.
>>
>>52425301
Yeah sauce
>>
>>52425301

Open this in separate window.

Make it small.

Cross eyes.

And here you have it, poor mans VR.
>>
>>52434645

kek
>>
> be vr programmer
> do everything alone (soldering chips on a breadboard and programming software)
> see people comparing phone vr with occulus vr
> No one seems to know whats a digital acclerometer, magnetometer and gyroscope and how they work and how they are calibrated

The benefits of the Occulus over GearVR are MUCH better Performance and better Headtracking and better FOV. This 3 things are basically the main factors you need to get a good VR experience. GearVR may have more pixels, f.e. The Galaxy S6 or so will have a nice huge 4k screen, way better than occulus, but you dont need it if you cant do much with it.
>>
>>52435772
>implying nobody could produce a little box with all of those things and a microusb cable to plug in to your phone
>>
File: 1452714644758.jpg (68 KB, 640x640) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452714644758.jpg
68 KB, 640x640
>>52417848
>tfw a 390 is more capable of VR than a 970

>tfw 3.5 isn't just a meme when you go past 1080p
>>
$git cardboard skrubz
>>
>>52436658
>amd
>in the era of gameworks vr

AMD users can't afford vr anyways
>>
>>52418268
>Virtual Reality stands for computer simulation that emulates reality
?
That's not what it says it the wiki
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality
>replicates an environment that simulates a physical presence in places in the real world or an imagined world
>in the real world
pls don't create a definition without public acknowledgment
>>
>>52425457
>>52434648
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcsa91GAjK4
>>
>>52437046
Original research is my specialty nerd.
>>
>>52417332
If I make 5 of thing and 10 people want it it's still not a popular product
>>
>>52425062
>Lack of a source to prove that HTC is more interested in markets besides gaming is not proof that they are not interested in markets besides gaming.
Then where's the proof that HTC "has already stated that their primary market for the Vive is industrial development, military, medical tech, and so forth, not gamers."?
Where is it?
>>
>>52417356
>investors get spooked and pull their funding
This time, investors spent so many billions of dollars on the tech, it has basically become too big to fail IMO.
>>
Why don't they make their screens replacable? Can't be too hard to do.
>>
>>52437207
There's at least 17 there
>>
Why the fuck do you complain about one device, you will use probably for years and buy every year a fucking new Phone for a higher price.
Thread replies: 275
Thread images: 29
Thread DB ID: 424593



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at wtabusse@gmail.com with the post's information.