[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My programming professor wants my class to try and install a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

File: 14431584168.jpg (34KB, 858x488px) Image search: [Google]
14431584168.jpg
34KB, 858x488px
My programming professor wants my class to try and install a copy of Windows on the Steam Machine.

How would we go about doing that? I heard something about replacing the hard drive but I'm not sure how complicated the inside of a Steam Machine is and if we can just replace the hard drive without complications.

Also, a classmate has a windows 8.1 usb installation. Not sure if that would do anything. I know nothing about Valve's latest creation.
>>
I don't know anything either. But I'd do some looking around at developer options and research about how updates are applied (if there even has been any yet). Then maybe using that information you can figure out how to install the bootloader from the 8.1 drive. From there, your only problems left would be hardware drivers for wandows to figure out. So maybe to even see if the hardware will work with wandows should be the first step. Maybe buid a test bench with similar hardware?
>>
>>52410525
>Maybe build a test bench with similar hardware?
That is something we're going to have to do if we don't want to obliterate the SM.
Thanks for the start. I'll let people in my class know about some options.
>>
>>52410435
Is that the steam machine in question?

Unless the BIOS/UEFI is locked down tight (unlikely) I don't see an issue, but I haven't seen one in person.
>>
>>52410620
Neither have I. That's why I came to /g/ to see if anyone has any major ideas
>>
>>52410435

Which steam machine are you specifically talking about?

If its Alienware they will use Dell motherboards.
>>
Am I retarded? I thought a steam machine was just a regular PC with Ubuntu. Why wouldn't throwing a USB drive with Windows on it into a USB port, pressing the typical F8 or whatever the BIOS key is, and booting from USB?

Or are these all heavily locked down UEFI machines?
>>
>>52410629
I am going to bet that there is no restriction on the bios/uefi so it should install like any other computer.

Use windows on a thumbdrive or use a USB DVD drive. Or if you are crazy like me set up a windows Server and use WDS.

You have installed windows before, right?
>>
>>52410435
Is this an assignment or is your teacher curious about getting it done?

if it's an assignment i am not going to help you with your schoolwork
>>
>>52410642
I have not a clue. All I was told it was a Steam Machine. I think the one in question was the one that came out in November. So, the newest one.
[spoiler]I honestly didn't know there was more than one version[/spoiler]
>>
>>52410564
Also, if you have troubles with 8.1 because >its fucking 8.1
Try side loading Linux first? That could help you identify hardware and driver compatibility? And help identify bios settings and how to unlock grubby steam stuff.
>>
Why is the professor going for a Windows machine on a already preinstalled Linux machine. Well... if you're still going for a Windows installation then use the normal ways. The Steam Machines are just normal PCs.

No problems getting Windows on it at all.
>>
>>52410669

Tell your teacher next time you see that person, that they are a complete idiot and didn't give you specifics about the hardware in order to prep you for the task.

There are many different steam machines they are just m-itx setups with linux installed on it. Nothing fancy as long as you can access the bios you can install windows with USB solution
>>
>>52410435
hey, you're retarded
>>
>>52410435
steam machines are just pre-built PC's with SteamOS preinstalled afaik, you should be able to install it like you would on any other PC. try a thumb drive and google how to boot from USB.
>>
>>52410717

m-atx*
>>
>>52410717
Cool.
I'm glad that it isn't going to be as hard as I imagined it. I'll try the Linux side loading technique if windows won't install normally.
>>
>>52410669
answer my question you nigger

are you trying to get people to do your homework for you
>>
>>52410435
did your professor give each student a windows key?

Or is it up to you to pay for a copy of windows, or are you expected to torrent it?
>>
Do people seriously not know how to install operating systems? Literally burn an .iso and plug and play.

I was doing this shit when I was 9, I may have been a turboautist but I thought this was common knowledge.
>>
>>52410435
How is this related to the course?
>>
>>52410807
It isn't. OP has successfully found a way for /g/ to become tech support by faking a homework problem.
>>
>>52410779
Same.
/g/ is... different now.
>>
>>52410759
>how to lie on the Internet well enough for him to believe me
>>
The real lesson that your instructor is trying to teach you is that you don't need Windows.
>>
>>52410991
My instructor has a son that is a retard.
He wanted a Steam Machine for.. something. I'm guessing it was for games and surfing the internet, which, he should have just got a gaming PC instead. He can't build one because he's a retard. So without thinking, my instructor got him a Steam Machine for Christmas and now he's complaining that he can only play games on it and wants a copy of Windows for it so he can surf the web as well. My instructor is turning to the class for advice.
>>
>>52410435
holy fucking shit

how is this a programming class

a steam machine is just a pc with debian on it. if you want to install windows, buy it from a store, stick the usb stick in, and follow the prompts. this is so easy I a child could do it, not a whole fucking class.

additionally you're removing an os that people actually use for development and replacing it with hot garbage.

I don't even have anything against windows this is just the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen
>>
>>52410844
I'm surprised how many people fell for it. inb4
>I was just pretending
>>
>>52411033
tell him to 'enable access to the linux desktop' in the developer options

this kid is a fucking travesty
>>
>>52411033
Steam Machines have a web browser, and you can go to desktop mode if you want a more normal browser.
>>
>>52410435
>do my homework for me
>fix my computer for me
>pick which phone i should buy
>your _'s a shit
>shilling
>/g/
>>
>>52411135
I think he really wants Windows on it. I'm not sure what he really wants it to do that it can't. The professor is bringing the Steam Machine on Monday. I'm sure it'll be easy by the feedback I've got already.

I did not know the Steam Machine was just a PC. I thought it was some Valve gaming console, for all those who are going hurr durr OP is stupid. Yet, I might actually be stupid. I'll find out on Monday.
>>
>>52411173
>write my resume for me
>choose my major for me
>stop liking what i don't like
>>
>>52411182
Inform the child that licenses for Windows cost $199 USD and that to have someone else install an unlicensed copy of Windows for him would be Piracy, a Federal Offense that could land him in prison.
>>
Literally second option on google.
>>
>>52410525
>I don't know anything either
>proceed to give advice
Nice job summarizing all of /g/
>>
>>52410779
>>52410878

Fellow 9-year-old-home-build anons

Where did the others who used to populate /g/ go? Now it's all consumerist bs.
>>
>>52411252
It's almost like you've never heard of dreamspark
>>
>>52411781
this simply site gained popularity as it got older, so there's more assholes here now
>>
>>52410646
Yeah it's just a normal computer, nothing special

OP is lying, just bought an overpriced Linux meme and wants to pay for their sins
>>
>>52410660
>windows Server and use WDS.
god that must be cumbersome

I fucking hate PXE
>>
What if plug and install doesn't work? I have Ubuntu 14.04 on my laptop and I was trying to install windows 7 to dual boot, but the usb booter I made doesn't install windows. Is there an option I have to turn on in the BIOS other than boot from USB first?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.