[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Feature list for OG Xbox all-in-one mod

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

File: Xbox-005.jpg (22KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Xbox-005.jpg
22KB, 460x276px
I'm putting together a scratch built mod using an OG Xbox to make an all-in-one device. An all-in-one unit is just a computer/console with a screen built into it.

The parts I'm planning to put in are:
22(+)in1080p LCD TV screen with speakers
OG Xbox motherboard
OG Xbox power supply
OG Xbox controller port
1tb hard drive with softmods and emulators
200mm intake fan
45mm cooling fan to replace Xbox CPU heatsink
Component to HDMI upscaler

My questions are:
What LCD screen would be best for this?
How big should the screen be?
What softmod should I install to allow me to play Xbox ISOs and emulators?
What model of 1tb hard drive should I use?

While I'm planning on it, I wanted to know what other features would be cool to put in it. What am I missing?
>>
Pretty fucking retarded.

Be a lot less retarded without that pointless scaler and maybe use a ssd or cf to save on size. Don't need the dvd drive either.
>>
>>52408632
Do you even Xbox, bro?

>Pretty fucking retarded.
How so? What do I need to do to justify this project?

>Don't need the dvd drive either.
I know that, that's why I didn't include it with the list of parts. I hope to just run from the hard drive. However, the Xbox motherboard can only recognize certain models of hard drives because it can't download drivers like Windows can. I believe the list for 1tb drives stop at some Western Digital 3.5 hard drive, but that info could be incorrect.

>Be a lot less retarded without that pointless scaler
How so? The Xbox can output to 1080i but through component. I'd like to get the converter so I can go from component to HDMI on a modern LCD, and hopefully turn that i to a p. I do know not to get a 4k monitor or anything with a refresh rate over 60hz, since the Xbox can't even touch those standards even with the scalers of today.
>>
File: Xbox-Duke-Controller.jpg (2MB, 2840x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Xbox-Duke-Controller.jpg
2MB, 2840x2400px
Where's your controller?
>>
>>52408569
wow i cant wait for op to give up in a day or two and never make this

what similar projects have you made op show us come on i dare you
>>
>>52409003
The front bezel of the monitor will have the Xbox controller ports so we can plug in any of the Xbox peripherals. I'm just wondering if there is any way to integrate wireless controller support inside the case without occupying any of the controller ports.
>>
>>52408973
Xbox is progressive scan dumbass. Idk why you'd run 480i with it and over component.
>>
File: 115_1536.jpg (98KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
115_1536.jpg
98KB, 1024x768px
>>52408569
As someone with a modded OG Xbox crystal, it's a waste of time

Just throw in a 500GB IDE drive and load up some games on it. XBMC makes a great dashboard and you can use DLNA to steam content to it

If anything upgrade the cooling, could help with noise and some frame rate issue

Maybe splice in a USB hub to add some extra USB ports and build in the DVD remote receiver. The controller ports are custom USB 1.1 ports
>>
>>52408973
dude, it's not a driver issue. the fucking ide controller cannot natively handle 48bit LBA. there are softmods that force it to work, but you won’t be able to touch 1tb. you might be able to get it to read up to 320gb if you are lucky.

just save your money and wait for xqemu to mature.
>>
>>52409065
It can do up to 720 progressive, 1080 is only interlaced
>>
File: Dell Mod Inside.jpg (82KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Dell Mod Inside.jpg
82KB, 720x960px
>>52409029
>wow i cant wait for op to give up in a day or two and never make this

What makes you think that this project is so hard? There have been a lot more elaborate mods out there that have been accomplished for years. I'm just screwing things together into one box.

>what similar projects have you made op show us come on i dare you

Is that a challenge? Pic related. Just some cutting to fit more fans and holes to route cables though.
>>
>>52409082
Any game worth playing has a 480p option.

Are you like 15? I;d assume since you like xbox I guess.
>>
>>52409140
wut
>>
>>52409150
I'd just stop with your mod now if you don't understand basic shit like the difference between interlaced and progressive scan or what the xbox outputs.
>>
>>52409212
I'm not even OP you shithead
>>
>>52409217
Good for you? You posted in the chain without saying that. Not like I could tell.

Dumbass either way.
>>
>>52409263
>OP is literally using a name to identify himself
>Couldn't tell the difference

No anon, you're the dumbass
>>
>>52409288
How new are you?
>>
>>52409288
Check't and rek't
>>
>>52409140
Soul Calibur 2 has a 720p option, although has black bars along the sides.
>>
>>52408569
You can actually upgrade the ram and cpu. I cant remember what model cpu but it is easy to find out.
>>
>>52409065
It also supports 480i over component.
>>
File: Xbox 360.jpg (51KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Xbox 360.jpg
51KB, 480x640px
>>52409065
Read this guy:
>>52409082
With the component AV cable, the Xbox can display up to 1080i but games will often just go 720p or less. The scaler is there to make the jump from component to HDMI since I can't find a monitor that supports that anymore and I hope it can bring progressive scan.

>>52409069
>>52409081
Fascinating. I saw someone upgrade to 500gb with it using a softmod tool. 320gb is fine too as long as I get the games. I'll look into it.

Do I need a specific softmod or OS to run games and emulators off the hard drive? Streaming media is fine and all, but can XBMC run games and emulators too?

Pic is fan mod of my Xbox 360. I hope that takes care of the heat issues. I'll look into replacing the xclamps with something more secure in the future.
>>
>>52409575
>Do I need a specific softmod or OS to run games and emulators off the hard drive
Any "recent" dashboard should run games and emulators just fine

>an XBMC run games and emulators too?
Yes.
>>
>>52409081
>just save your money and wait for xqemu to mature
OG Xbox isn't even that expensive

xqemu is basically lightyears away
>>
>>52409347
>>52409288
4chan doesn’t lock in names kiddo. They get dropped while posting all the time.
Second you posted in the chain where I was talking to OP.

>>52409417
>>52409390
>>52409082
The op is talking about using some scaler for 15khz YPbBr to HDMi. I don’t know why any retard would do that with a progressive display like a LCD with an Xbox. Any game worth a damn will do 31khz YPbBr,
Dumb kids just spouting wiki facts without actually knowing the application.
>>52409575
If you want to use a monitor and it doesn’t support YPbBr (most don’t) then you need to get RGsB out of the xbox and convert that to RGBHV VGA. DVI-I connector can work also for the RGB signals.
If the monitor only has digital input good luck. Stuck with some scaler that will fuck everything up.
>>
File: IMG_0586.jpg (760KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0586.jpg
760KB, 2048x1536px
>>52409612
Shit man, there are a lot of old walkthroughs with these elaborate work around to get a new OS installed. I hope it's as simple as it sounds right now.

>>52409405
>You can actually upgrade the ram and cpu. I cant remember what model cpu but it is easy to find out.

Yeah, but that requires some serious resoldering tools and I've never been very good at soldering components. For all that trouble just to upgrade obsolete hardware, well, I'd rather find more useful applications for existing devices.

>>52409081
Wait, what the hell is XQEMU? I better Google it.

Pic is a before picture of a Shuttle case I'm modding for normal mITX hardware. It's my latest work. It's almost done, just got to finish drilling screw holes for the hard drive bracket, then cleaning, final assembly and software installation.
>>
File: Ikea.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ikea.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>52409875
When ever I post as OP, my name comes out as OP all the time, not just in my thread. In fact, every time I post elsewhere, I have to make sure OP is deleted from the name box before I post.

Anyway, now you are being constructive. So do you suggest finding an LCD that supports analog, or a native rez at 720p? I don't mind a little graphic infidelity, though I will experiment with a scaler myself before I decide to put it in.

Pic not related to PCs. It's a queen size bed from IKEA that was too flimsy for my taste, so I bought two extra metal beams like they gave me for the center line and reinforced it to what you see here.
>>
>>52410081
Xbox will output 480p for most everything. Why do you keep saying 720p? Just let the monitor display 480p. Should letter box it.
>>
OP needs to lurk more
>>
>>52409873
This, picked one up for like $40 with 4 controllers and a fuck tons of games, including DDR with a dance mat
>>
>>52409875
>4chan doesn’t lock in names kiddo
4chanX does for me

>calls others newfags while he uses the site's native extension
>>
>>52410154
I think because the Xbox can also do native 720p
>>
File: oh_shit_nigga.jpg (32KB, 366x380px) Image search: [Google]
oh_shit_nigga.jpg
32KB, 366x380px
>>52410242
Just cut your losses and stop newfag
>>
>>52410377
>if I call him a newfag enough, maybe it'll be true!
>>
File: butt_hurt.jpg (19KB, 236x235px) Image search: [Google]
butt_hurt.jpg
19KB, 236x235px
>>52410392
It must be true if you're so worried about being called a newfag ;)
>>
File: Dell Mod Inside 2.jpg (80KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dell Mod Inside 2.jpg
80KB, 960x720px
>>52410154
>Xbox will output 480p for most everything. Why do you keep saying 720p? Just let the monitor display 480p. Should letter box it.

Sure, but we live in the future now. What's wrong with trying to upscale video? At the very least, can anyone recommend a 22 inch or so LCD TV that supports 1080i from component?

More pics of my bea. You can see the holes I cut and grommeted to route my cables behind the motherboard.
>>
>>52410443
>can anyone recommend a 22 inch or so LCD TV that supports 1080i from component?
Try something from the mid-2000s from Craigslist
>>
>>52410438
k
>>
I actually dusted off my OG Xbox a few weeks ago. All I did was
>replaced the HDD with a cheap 120gb SSD
>replaced the fan with a quieter one

Replacing the fan was kind of a pain in the ass since I don't have a Dremel.

After doing those mods I felt like I got it out of my system. My Xbox is just softmodded but with a flashed BIOS (whatever it's called...TSOP? I did it years ago). It makes a good emulator box I guess, but my RPi 2 emulates at the same level.

It does have a couple good games. Playing THPS2 gave me a wave of nostalgia, as did Panzer Dragoon Orta. But now it's back in a storage bin.
>>
>>52410443
>Sure, but we live in the future now. What's wrong with trying to upscale video?
look you colossal faggot

go here and worry about all that stuff after you get the modchip in
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=13
>>
>>52408569
>Softmod
Lurk more and google shit. It won't matter how you set up the xbox really as long as you back up its stock dash and EEPROM.
The difficulty will be in building a memory card for the exploit, as you need a way to get files onto a fat-x formatted filesystem.

>1080p LCD
Run a decent quality converter/scaler between the xbox and the monitor, and then you can choose whatever monitor you like. It really comes all up to personal preference. Just don't get too excited for high resolution content.
I run a 27 inch 1080p monitor at 720p in from the converter box. It's nice.

>>52410273
Games that support 720p are few. You're really looking at 720p as a media option, which really doesn't make sense as you can run much more powerful and convenient setups for marginal price increases. The xbox can theoretically handle 1080p xvid encodes, but will choke even on 8 bit 480p h264. You'll experience pretty severe quality degradation and general headaches re-encoding all your media.
This follows into other headaches with an all-in-one mod and dealing with the xbox in general: different models of xbox have different video out chips, which handle the video signal differently.

>Do you want to play emulators?
Many do not have an HD patch or otherwise do not work over the component cables on the late-model and most-plentiful xbox, due to handling of the i's and p's.
>Do you want to play the worthwhile games, like Panzer Dragoon Orta and Gun Valkyrie?
Same problem as above with emulators. You're going to need to either patch them or switch between cables at the video port.

The xbox should be considered as a platform for games only by this point, so I hope you're willing to take those problems for what they're worth.

>>52408632
You'll need the dvd drive until the xbox can run your code.
>>
File: PICT0835.jpg (172KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
PICT0835.jpg
172KB, 640x480px
>>52410573
Damn that's a lot to think about.

>I run a 27 inch 1080p monitor at 720p in from the converter box. It's nice.

What monitor and converter box do you use, if you would be so kind to tell me?

>The xbox should be considered as a platform for games only by this point, so I hope you're willing to take those problems for what they're worth.

That's fine, it's what the Xbox was built for in the first place! Emulators and media use was just icing, but I would much rather have the ultimate and most convenient iteration of the Xbox.

> >Do you want to play the worthwhile games, like Panzer Dragoon Orta and Gun Valkyrie?
Same problem as above with emulators. You're going to need to either patch them or switch between cables at the video port.

That's confusing; I'm planning on using the component AV cable which will be hidden inside the case. I never heard of there being these display problems over component; I'm using one right now on my normal Xbox and never saw any issues (though that one is a version 1.0 motherboard, the one I'm modding is a 1.1).

>You'll need the dvd drive until the xbox can run your code.

Yeah I noticed. The one I got has a bum dvd drive; I'll borrow a working one if it comes down to it, though I'm hoping someone figured out how to do it just from a burned dvd or whatever.

Pic is all the cuts I made to my Dell Dimension case to route the cables through. I have been doing a lot of cutting these past few years but I admit this mod will be a lot tougher because I'm building a case from scratch. Either I get a few pieces of sheet metal and screw them together or I design a new case from a 3D design program and have a 3D printing company print it out for me.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.