[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, is the Prime95 issue deal-breaker ? >https://techrep

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

File: skylake.jpg (22KB, 878x466px) Image search: [Google]
skylake.jpg
22KB, 878x466px
So, is the Prime95 issue deal-breaker ?

>https://techreport.com/news/29585/prime95-can-cause-intel-skylake-cpus-to-freeze

>Intel has identified an issue that potentially affects the 6th Gen Intel® Core™ family of products. This issue only occurs under certain complex workload conditions, like those that may be encountered when running applications like Prime95. In those cases, the processor may hang or cause unpredictable system behavior. Intel has identified and released a fix and is working with external business partners to get the fix deployed through BIOS.

Is it over? Is Intel finished? Should I wait for Zen ? So many questions, but only one answer. No.
>>
What was the purpose of this thread?
>>
They will fix it by using the slower instruction set/path instead of the one that causes the CPU to crash.
>>
>>52402698
If you have no idea what you're talking about, please refrain from posting.
>>
it doesn't affect non-K skylake
>>
They're releasing a patch for it.
>>
>>52403142
How the fuck do you patch a cpu?
>>
>>52403160
With a soldering iron
>>
>>52403160
in bios?
>>
>>52403160
Microcode update. It was done like that since Pentium 1 era.
>>
The "patch" will be a bios microcode update.
However, very few people update their bios, and also not all motherboard manuefacturers actually release timely bios uodates.
>>
>>52403160
microcode?
>>
>>52403160
you don't. You patch the BIOS to not do whatever causes the crash.
Literally all CPUs have bugs that are fixed in BIOS. Usually they are fixed before they reach customers, but Intel fucked up.
>>
>>52403160
Microcode update anon. CPUs have a small amount of SRAM where updates are placed by the BIOS at boot and those updates can either fix or disable the problematic sections of the CPU. If the problem is caught before the CPU is released they might just burn the update into small amount of ROM on the die itself.
>>
>>52402677
>So, is the Prime95 issue deal-breaker ?

Yes, skip it and wait for the 7th gen Cores. Not like AMD will be close to the 4th gen core processors by then.
>>
File: symptoms of dehydration.jpg (47KB, 447x415px) Image search: [Google]
symptoms of dehydration.jpg
47KB, 447x415px
>>52403214
I can't fucking wait for the pooterpain when it's discovered that the update that fixes this also "fixes" being able to overclock non-K chips.
>>
File: who could it be.png (11KB, 274x290px) Image search: [Google]
who could it be.png
11KB, 274x290px
>>52403251
>>
>>52403275
good thing it doesn't affect non-K chips so they don't need upgrading
>>
>>52403328
It affects literally all Skymeme chips.
>>
>>52403328

Yeah, like locked multiplier changes anything....
>>
>>52403357
nope it's a bug in the K microcode
>>
>>52403357
Just the ones with HT.

>buy an i7 over i5 they said
>>
>>52403371
No it isn't, you goddamn faggot.

>>52403377
Which covers i3s as well.
>>
Oh man I wish they'd hurry up and patch this shit so I can get back to running prime95 24/7!
>>
>>52403217
>>52403223
>bios
>i don't know of mcupdate_genuineintel.dll or intel-microcode?
>>
>>52403406
>No it isn't, you goddamn faggot.

yes it is, the reason it's not in the non-K microcode is because they were release later, and intel quietly fixed it before roll out

don't believe me? have you heard of a single goddamn non-K CPU that got this error?
>>
>>52403217
The issue only affects a very small slice of the market anyway. If you have a problem with the hardware and you don't know anything about computers you would probably just return it immediately. The update will be on all new motherboards from here on out so those that buy newer motherboards will never need to know this was an issue in the first place.
>>
>>52403432
Have your heard of anyone reporting this error at all before this week? It's been nearly 6 months since they were released.
>>
6700K here

i can't seem to replicate it, been running prime for an hour so far
>>
>>52403432

Still bendgate affects non-K cpus. No hope for you.
>>
>>52403243
So does that basically turn K cpu's into non-K cpu's?
>>
>>52403523
It's not supposed to. If they did that they would probably get sued because they advertised these chips for their unlocked multiplier.
>>
File: 20160113_204324.jpg (1MB, 1353x1545px) Image search: [Google]
20160113_204324.jpg
1MB, 1353x1545px
I got this a month ago and it did not bend yet.
>>
>>52403665
probably because you're not some retard to use an electric screw driver or a heavy heatsink and then move your pc around.
>>
>>52403576
> Well, a multiplier is unlocked in a EFI, but it doesnt't affect a frequency anymore.
How about that?
>>
>>52403762
Doubt that would hold up in any sane court. At the very least they could get sued in the EU.

The way they advertised the K processors makes it pretty clear the unlocked multiplier is designed for overclocking the CPU.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (142KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
142KB, 1920x1080px
>>52403699
Yep, heard about the bendy lake before installing. Also, mounting optics on rifles definitely teaches something about screws and screws accessories
>>
Sometimes I'm fascinated that cpus work at all.
>>
>>52403954
At least with finalized designs CPU bugs are usually incredibly difficult to trigger. Usually the conditions to trigger them require a lot of things that a normal person would never actually do any they affect very minor things anyway. The majority of CPU bugs might just get documented and posted online so people are made aware of them but there's not usually a fix issued for them until maybe the next revision or stepping.
>>
>>52403843
Technically, completely disabling BCLK overclocking from non-K skylake could actually entitle australian buyers to a refund

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

>You can ask for a replacement or refund if the problem with the product is major.

>What is a major problem?
>A product or good has a major problem when:
>- it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
>>
>>52404092
Sure, but the fact that they don't crash every fucking day is incredible. It's a marvel of engineering .
>>
>>52403275
I honestly expect that.
The tinfoil hat in me wants to say it's just some nonsense intel came up with so they'd have an excuse to push a microcode update out.
>>
>>52404134
The CPU talk from 32c3 by the engineer from AMD really puts in perspective.

roughly paraphrased
>every second your CPU goes through billions of cycles which is roughly equivalent to several years of debugging in a lab
>>
>>52404209
I'm just gonna post it because it's very much related to this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDmv0sDB1Ak
>>
>trusting Intel chips
>literally have an arm core installed on the die as a dedicated backdoor core
>literally DMA access and network permissions
>proprietary java OS monitors your computer and can write to video framebuffer

Read up on intel ME. It can be turned on remotely and some chips even had 3G antennas
>>
>>52404324
>implying AMD processors don't do the same.
>>
>>52404401
>implying amd have the resources to do shit like that
They are like the albanian virus.
"Hello am of too poor to spy on you, please send some personal information to us for usa botnet. god bless"
>>
File: 2cwpgrk[1].jpg (58KB, 650x535px) Image search: [Google]
2cwpgrk[1].jpg
58KB, 650x535px
>old af Core2Quad Q8200
>Rugged no bendy bendy
>Pre-jew iSeries shit
>Manly 95W TDP

Feels good senpaitachi
>>
>>52405315
Cool thing about Core2Quad and Core2Extreme chips was that they were basically two CPUs working in tandem.
>>
>>52402677
Well, if I were considering Skylake, I would wait for the update and read some reports to determine whether the fix affects performance or not. If there's no noticeable impact from it, there's no problem.

This kind of thing happens sometimes. It happened with TSX for Haswell. It's a shame, but they're still good chips.
>>
>>52404273
>mfw i watched the whole thing
>>
>>52404324
>mfw bought 5820k for less than 4790k, 6700k
>mfw no intel ME
>mfw I have no face

sure feels good not getting cucked on consumer gaymen chips
>>
>>52403214
>>52403218
Like,
if exponent==evilnumber
doSlowerExponentCalculationWithEvilNumber()
in assembler?
>>
>>52402677
yep. The sky lake is a brown pence if Pope pour and I wouldn't share a garbage bag in the islet of Detroit for a penis sized wager visit
>>
>>52403243
What is someone modifies the BIOS so that it turns Non-K CPUs into unlocked K CPUs?
>>
>>52406574
That might be possible if that's how Intel bins their chips but the updates are signed to prevent tampering.
>>
>>52406789
Why aren't any hackers working on cracking the BIOS files? If the BIOS can really write micro code to the CPUs memory, theoretically you should be able to turn I3 chips into I5s or I7s since they're the same chip but with locked cores like some of the older AMD processors.
>>
>>52403432
>have you heard of a single goddamn non-K CPU that got this error?

Who runs Prime95 on a non-K CPU?

You think people actually want to calculate π, lol?
>>
>>52402677
>Intel has identified and released a fix and is working with external business partners to get the fix deployed through BIOS

your own posts says they fixed it whats the issue? this happens to lots of new platforms its no problem if there's a bios fix (if it doesnt gimp something at the same time)
>>
>>52406789
Like with a key?

If the key we're ever released into the public and people modified their bios, then manufacturers would invalidate the warranties of whomever returns a modified motherboard.

Just like custom firmware on a PS4.
>>
>>52406896
The CPU will only accept signed microcode. It is not possible to counterfeit this signature. (I don't just mean hard- I mean it is literally mathematically impossible to crack it inside of millions of years.)

The only possibilities are:
* If it turned out Intel fucked up the signing implementation, allowing it to be bypassed
* If the private signing keys were leaked/stolen
>>
>>52402697
Encourage a price drop for Skylake and maybe Intel stock as well.
>>
File: 281.jpg (34KB, 600x589px) Image search: [Google]
281.jpg
34KB, 600x589px
>>52404273
>>
>>52406896
There's a couple of things here.

You could probably upgrade celerons and pentiums to i3s but not i3s to i5s. i3s and below are their own die, you cannot unlock cores that physically don't exist on die. i5s *might* be viable i7s(minus some cache I guess) but it really depends on how the hyperthreading works on the CPU. It might just be a simple bit that needs to be flipped or it might be physically lasered off which would render it completely unusable.

The other thing is the keys are likely public key encryption. Even if you examined the silicon you probably wouldn't find anything of value. The key you would need to sign updates is the private key and it's stored somewhere at Intel. If that key is ever released there's a good chance it was a disgruntled employee and Intel would sue the shit out of anyone that circulates it around, much like the HDDVD key from years ago. It's incredibly unlikely that the key will ever be cracked in our lifetime at least using the technology we have now. By the time we crack it we'll probably be using technology that is an order of a magnitude more advanced thus defeating the point.
>>
Will this affect bitcoin mining? I was hoping to use my 64gb ram for it, but if it's fucked, recommend me a different i7 for gaming/bitcoins/ai work
>>
>>52407442
>CPU for bitcoin mining
What?!? You'll never get anywhere with that. Even if you don't pay for power, it'll cost you more in terms of time than the return.
>>
>>52407554
I was going to run it whenever I'm not home. Couldn't hurt.
>>
>thinner board to cut costs causing bending on custom coolers
>improves the stock cooler but doesn't include it in the cpu anymore to cut costs
>cpus hit the shitter under stress tests
>barely any improvement in performance over last gen
>still costs more than ever

Holy hell intel is taking its goys for a ride. I feel bad for anyone dumb enough to fall for skymeme.
>>
>>52406922
>You think people actually want to calculate π
The fuck you think Prime95 came from son?

Is this bug due to the fact that P95 puts unreal AVX loads onto the chip?
>>
>>52403214
The bug in the original Pentium had to be replaced by intel. No bios update. I know because I had one.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.