[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech illiteracy thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

File: 1369922453088.gif (2MB, 350x258px) Image search: [Google]
1369922453088.gif
2MB, 350x258px
>friend buys new laptop
>it's a Dell business model, pretty cool
>ask which CPU does it have
>doesn't know
>ask the screen resolution since it's obviously more than the standard 1366x768, looks nice
>doesn't know
ask how much RAM it has
>doesn't know
>ask the model number so I can Google everything myself
>doesn't know

What the fuck, if this is your average self proclaimed techie guy, how bad are the masses?
>>
>>52402224
kek for rms pic
>>
>>52402224

For a lot of people, that kind of stuff is just noise. This includes people who are very good at things like writing software or even things like digital design. A master chef doesn't necessarily know all the specifications of his appliances.
>>
>>52402224

> how bad are the masses
really really really, like REALLY bad!
Idiots so to say.
The worship crapple, M$, are fanboys for Samsung and Sony, need an app for ANYTHING they do and BUY any app that asvertises free Hamburgers.
If it's not the latest tech, it's oooold school or retro!
And if anyone knows how to Ctr-c + ctrl-v they think "ooohh he has dem h4X0r skillz"
> I hate the word "app" it's called program or application!
They don't have the latest version of CommonSense installed, so they need "muh antivirus" and still get infected by malcius js-ransomware in emails pretending to be phone bills.

Privacy or "Don't tell everybody about your private life who isn't at least a fried of you!" has never crossed their minds.

So yes, pretty fucked up, don't you think?
>>
>>52403478
>For a lot of people, that kind of stuff is just noise.
This. All they see is:
>which CPU does it have
Super fast quadcore!
>screen resolution
Ultra Buzzword HD!
>how much RAM
A lot!
>model number
It's a Dell!
>>
>>52403478
But he should at least have an idea of what is going on
>>
>>52403533
And others:
> pffff It's a dell, I have a macbook (2015 so fb machine) It's wayyyyy faster than your Dell (generic Quadcore)
>>
>>52403540

A friend of mine had been having problems with his laptop for a while. He's a software engineer. I'm a mechanical engineer. He left his laptop with me, to fix it, because he was afraid to open it up. I kid you not. I just replaced the thermal paste and firmly connected a wonky connector on his wireless module (which he had been having problems with for months). Didn't even take half an hour. Voila, it's no longer frying pan and he has a stable wireless connection. Some people are like that.
>>
>>52402224
The average person would answer like this.

Now if this guy claims hes a techie you should punch him in the mouth.
>>
>>52403540
My buddie is making 145 000 a year, as a web designer, not developer, he uses all kinds of stuff, he has 1 pc and one iFag at home + iFagair and he is really literate when it comes to his work (that involves 95% using the computer) but he doesnt know shit about anything under the hood.

My point is, I am making almost 50k, I have studied 6 years to get this degree(CS), and I know so much more about software and hardware than him, but at the end of the day, he is 2 years younger then me, went to libshit art school but never finish it, and is having better paying job.

So it really dosent matter, if you are autist tho, well senpai sorry
>>
>doesn't know the OS can show what hardware it has
I may not what what hardware my friend's computer has but I know where to find it,I cant say the same for lesser knowledge folks
>>
>>52403617
On the bright side, you'll probably make more money than him in the long run.
>>
>>52403578
>>52403617
This is the type of shit that literally pisses me off.
>>
>>52403634
Yeah I hope so, if we come up with an idea to make bots that are better at art then us..
>>
>>52403617

Degrees entitle you to nothing, other than a piece of paper that says that you're supposed to have a pretty good "toolbox" at your disposal. Very important lesson that most people learn sooner or later.
>>
>>52403617
your working in the wrong place anon
>>
File: 1441327704294.jpg (49KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1441327704294.jpg
49KB, 600x600px
>Friend's friend needs cheap laptop for college
>Doesnt have to be anything special
>Says they only need it for notes and web browsing
>Make sure to specifically ask if there are ANY programs they use that are reliant in windows.
>They say no
>I rattle off a few programs that need Windows and they still say no
>Recommend the Toshiba chromebook 2 because awesome specs and only $230 new at local Microcenter
>Week later they're complaining that photoshop doesn't work, and they cant install sim city from disc because it has no disc drive
>My friend is just as techy as me so we both explain
>Friend's friend gets all pissy because "we wasted her time" and she demands we drive her back to the store for something different
>Bitch acting like such a cunt we just tell her to piss off

Found later she returned the chromebook and bought a 2nd hand ipad 2 for $400 (craigslist).

Now I just pretend Im as ignorant as them when it comes to tech and new stuff.
>>
In engineering it's not always knowing everything by heart, it's important that YOU know WHERE to look it up (system can show specs)

but of course in your field you should know many things by heart
>>
>>52403750
ipad vs notebook

wtf?
I. this. HAAAATE THESE SITUATIONS
>>
>>52403750
>recommending a chromebook
yeah you deserved this
>>
>>52403842
Eh. She came to us saying sub $300 and for notes/browsing. I was leery about going chromebook but anything in that price ramge that wasnt a thunkpad was a 15.6" cheap and plastic shit.

Yet she had no problem over paying for an old ipad.
>>
>>52403750
I got one
>friend cant run games on his computer because it's a toaster(gts 400 low end POS and only using full 2gb of memory in games)
>recommend buying a new gpu and ram
>his other closer friend(not mine) who knows about computers tells him to buy a new cpu because bottle necks
>my friend listens and buys it
>his games still run like shit
>later I see him using a new craptop for games
why do I even try to help
>>
File: 538.gif (2MB, 290x260px) Image search: [Google]
538.gif
2MB, 290x260px
>retard at work asking me what laptop he should get. Keep in mind this kid is an underage tech retard.
>explain to him that it's much cheaper to build a desktop and it's as simple as putting Legos together
>he later tells me that he ordered his laptop
>ask him what kind of graphics card it is
>all he says is nividia
>look up the model number
>it's nearly $2000 with some shit specs laugh out loud while I'm on break and looking it up
>mfw this kid is going to piss away 2000 of his parents money for a craptop that will most likely die in 2 years.
>>
>>52404488
2 years is more like pooping it away. Not quite as fast as pissing.
>>
File: tumblr_nxlxicmpsT1su0kv9o3_1280.png (69KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxlxicmpsT1su0kv9o3_1280.png
69KB, 700x500px
>>52404038
Similar position with a guy I know
>Has a Frankenstein buikd we put together with spare parts over the years (he doesnt have a lot of money)
>Athlon x3 unlocked to x4 and overclocked
>Decent am3 motherboard
>16gb of mish mash ram
>7970ghz edition we found for $80 that was miraculously not used as a miner, just had a bad fan we replaced
>Of course the gpu is being bottlenecked hard by the CPU
>After saving his dimes and nickles for almost a year, he comes to me and says he has $600 for upgrades
>Sweet! Plan out a 4690k, z97 board, mew keyboard and monitor to replace his aging 1400x900 he was running
>We were going to get all this stuff on the weekend
>Weekend comes and he has no money
>Guy on a forum he frequents pointed out the monitor we chose was only 60hz and a "true gamer" wouldnt settle for less than 144hz.
>He spent all his money on a refurb Asus ROG swift 1440p 144hz panel with a cracked bezel

To this day he still complains he gets even less fps now than he did before
>>
File: 1427430618423.png (252KB, 511x428px) Image search: [Google]
1427430618423.png
252KB, 511x428px
>>52404602
Oh the pain
I wish people learned to Google their doubts already
>>
>"Anon, it says there's a virus, it's all those games you've been installing!"
I saved up money as soon as I could to buy my own fucking computer when I was young holy shit
>>
File: 1440180968449.jpg (439KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1440180968449.jpg
439KB, 1024x1024px
>>52404602
This reminds me a bit of my little brother who has a similarly shitty build and there's tons of stuff that would make sense upgrading. In particular the mainboard+CPU, the GPU or simply a decent monitor since he just had to cheap out on the two he owns - they don't even have DVI ports.

So what does he do? He buys a case for nearly 200 bucks. It has all sorts of nifty features he can't utilize, most hilariously the front USB 3 ports since his board is so old, it doesn't even support that.
>>
>>52404791
>>52404602
Fuck man, my little brother got duped into buying a 850w psu for his i3 / gtx 660 build at a Tiger Direct because it would make the computer more powerful.
>>
>>52404836
>because it would make the computer more powerful.

Well, it did, I guess.
>>
>>52404836
It can draw more power now. It has effectively become more powerful.
>>
>>52402224
You should learn from him. I bet he programs in lisp
>>
>>52404924
>>52404852
Not powerful as my 1kW water heater tho
>>
File: 1451255877606.gif (1MB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1451255877606.gif
1MB, 500x400px
>>52404692
>>52404791
>>52404836
Yea he was so depressed and felt like an idiot. He was like almost in tears explaining to me.

Co-worker of mine happened to be selling his "old piece of shit desktop" because it no longer worked. Bought it for $50. Was an asus something or other that the power supply took a shit in. It had an i3-4160, GT610, 6gb ddr3, and 1tb hdd that all worked. The power supply was the only bad thing.

Bought that and a $45 H81 chipset lga1150 board from Microcenter. Buddy is running said i3 now. He actually gets like 90+ fps in some games bow with AA turned down a bit. Although its just an i3, for him it is night and day difference.

Meh so long as he is happy.
>>
>>52403750
>Now I just pretend Im as ignorant as them when it comes to tech and new stuff.
i've been doing this for years now, saves me headaches
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.