[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modernizing an Compaq Proliant ML530 Tower Server

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 41OZsBAl42L._SL500_.jpg (29KB, 435x500px) Image search: [Google]
41OZsBAl42L._SL500_.jpg
29KB, 435x500px
So I have this Compaq Proliant ML530 Tower that I got from my mom's business a long time ago. The Power supplies have long since died and I sold both P3 Xeons.

As a noob to servers and an incredibly intoxicated one at that; I decided to ask you guys for advice.

I was thinking of an oversized (physically) NAS box with a modest amount of SSDs (I dont want to go crazy because I dont need that much storage).

It is taking up a lot of space but I don't want to just throw it out.

So I need a new (modern) mother board and power supplies (both of which I don't even know the correct form factor for pls halp).

I don't even know if this would be possible as I'm sure that a lot of the hardware in this box is proprietary HP/Compaq stuff. Thats why I'm asking you guys.
>>
I hear OP like butt stuff
>>
>>52394505
definitely do...
>>
>>52394515
Installing gentoo may help, you'll be killed if you don't by TheSnizz.
>>
File: from-manual.png (342KB, 1273x721px) Image search: [Google]
from-manual.png
342KB, 1273x721px
>>52394467
from the manual it looks like the io is in sort of the right place

so worst case scenario is you may have to get handy with a dremel and put stand-offs in the rish spot for a normal atx/ itx if you're a funnyguy mobo

but on the downside the hot-swap is scsi so might be able to use the case but not the hot swap bays
>>
>>52394579
noted
>>
>>52394467
p3 xeon?
rip everything out replace with modern shit use box as nice disk enclosure
>>
>>52394587
It might be the gin talking but I think I recall someone selling cradles for the bays.

I don't think there is a scsi back plane behind the bays. Idk I'd have to find the key and bust the thing open.

Not really worried about that though. Worst case I could just yank the back plane out and run sata cables through there.
>>
>>52394601
Thats pretty much the idea but I'm hoping to find a mobo that uses the same stand offs atleast.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-26-16-13-17.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-26-16-13-17.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
every day henry the retard shit on his hands, then went to blockbuster video.. [click to read more]
>>
File: 16185362.jpg (110KB, 1024x713px) Image search: [Google]
16185362.jpg
110KB, 1024x713px
It looks like some atx holes are in the right spot but some may not be, if these dont have built in stand offs your good if they are built in. definite shorting issues
>>
Found the key. It definitely has a scsi backplane.

I cant really move it at the moment because its serving as a piece of furniture in between 2 other pieces of furniture and the thing ways a ton but I can open the front door and access the hot swap cradles. They are weird af... but i could easily dremel these bitches up to accept sata drives (3.5in drives alone but with some caddies from my local frys then i could do ssds).
>>
>>52394898
hell yeah

please tell me it has the wheels
>>
>>52394927
yarp...

idk if youve had experience with one of these. but god damn this thing is HEAVY.

I remember having to use a dolly to get this thing in here when they finally retired it at my moms business.
>>
>>52394961
7U sounds heavy
>>
thanks guys. Your advice combined with the copious amount of ethanol in my blood stream has given me new drive to modernize this hunk of heavy ass machinery in to something useful.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.