[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is C# on Linux? I fucking hate Windows, but C# is the only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

File: mono_win32vsLinux.png (334KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
mono_win32vsLinux.png
334KB, 1024x640px
How is C# on Linux?
I fucking hate Windows, but C# is the only thing keeping me from ditching it and going to fucking Linux. I tried Mono 2 years ago and it was garbage.

Have they made any good progress in the past 2 years?

>inb4 java fags
>>
>>52390031
Learn a better language
>>
>>52390031
>>inb4 java fags
you think java fags are the only ones who don't like C#?
C# is bad on linux because it's bad everywhere
>>
>>52390031
I use mcs + kate + konsole just fine.
>>
>>52390065
>like java js python php or ruby?
fuck off

>>52390073
>muh muh reasons to hate
>>
Mono is pretty good right now, but the .net crew open sourced the platform and everything so you can run it all on linux. Tbh stick with mono. I do work in C# and python so I should know.
>>
>>52390096
I don't understand
do you want reasons?
>>
>>52390096
>like java js python php or ruby?

Oh I see, you're just some retard.
>>
>>52390073
Butthurt Java fag detected.

Go fuck off back to /r/programming
>>
>>52390411
Hello this isn't reddit. Now stay on windows you cancerous retard
>>
>>52390411
why are you so defensive?
>>
>>52390465
Why are you?
>o he mentioned c#, i better go in the thread and act like a pretentious elitist douche
>>
>>52390496
Your entire first post was a pretentious elitist douche wanting help because you're too incapable of logical thought.
>>
>>52390496
>act like a pretentious elitist douche
I did nothing of the sort anon
>>
>>52390031
Language itself works, your windows C# programs won't because of wpf and winforms will not be ported
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 299x168px
>>52390510
>you're too incapable of logical thought.
Throw in some shit about how Christianity is fake, and you'd be the perfect example of a fedorafag.
>>
what about mono is bad anyway?
>>
>>52390554
When I used it, it was very unstable and tedious to set up. Plus, have of the features in it didn't work, and the Gui builder was horrible. It was two-three years ago, so I'm willing to give it another try if it's improved.

I'm really tempted to just fucking quit Windows and C# and just go to fucking Linux with Python and some Gui shit for it. I will NEVER use Java.
>>
>>52390539
Here's your response, retard.
>>
>>52390586
>>52390096
>java, js, python, php, ruby, and C# are the only languages in the world

is this what it's like being crippled?
>>
>>52390589
Thanks friend. Here's yours.

Did I get into your little panties, Nonny? What's the matter? Is the little bumby a little upset that someone is trashing your little Java circlejerk fantasy hugbox?
>>
>>52390031
whats wrong with using winders in a vm when you need it....
>>
>>52390608
top kek, once again you prove to be incapable and your world revolves around Java. I hope you don't call yourself a programmer because that would just be a joke.
>>
>>52390586
Monodevelop? Yeah it's pretty shit
IDEs are pretty dumb though, I have not found one that was simpler than writing the source files with a text editor and compiling via the terminal

What do you have against java, by the way? They're kind of the same
>>
>>52390639
>He uses Java
>He doesn't understand the glaring faults of his 'main' programming language
>He doesn't understand how Java is a horrible, bloated piece of garbage with God-awful syntax and how the JVM is shit in almost every way, not to mention the glaring security faults
>He is in denial about how bad it is, because he is an elitist pretentious fool, and when someone attacks the language, he feels like an insecure dumbass because of his inferiority complex.

JavaVermin, be gone.
>>
>>52390676
Top kek, typical C# programmer.

Someone insults him and he instantly starts going off his Java insult list.

Another braindead drone who thinks scripted languages, java, and C# are the only languages in the world.
>>
C# is doing pretty good on Lunix even moreso since microsoft open sourced .Net core, if you dislike ide's you should try sublime text 3 or brackets (a little resource heavy) both have plugins for C# autocompletion and project management.
>>
>>52390653
The syntax is kind of similar, but the problem is that the JVM is horrible, Java is horribly ineffecient resource-wise; it's slow, buggy, horrible to work with, etc.

>>52390701
>Another braindead drone who thinks scripted languages, java, and C# are the only languages in the world.
I never implied such rot, JavaVermin.
You have failed to refute any of the points I have made as well. This leads me, my dear JavaVermin, to believe that you are simply brainrot wormfood. Please do us a service and deliver a bullet straight into your own brainstem via bullet delivery device.
>>
>>52390737
>I never implied such rot

Yes you have, no one in this thread even told you to use Java and yet you instantly start insulting java when people laugh at you for being a C# retard.

You are a joke, a laughing stock of the programming arena. You are incapable of even making simple decisions that could be found out with 20 minutes in a VM.

Go back to whatever shithole company you work for in India retard.
>>
>>52390737
>Java is horribly ineffecient resource-wise; it's slow, buggy, horrible to work with, etc.
spoiler alert: so is C#
>>
>>52390737
>>52390676
30 rupes has been deposited into your account
>>
>>52390763
My dear JavaVermin, you are simply projecting your insecurities and asshurt unto me. It is highly rude. You must accept love and tolerance(and c#)into your heart. It is the only cure for your penile ineffeciency and horrible ass-rash.
>>
>>52390790
>Create Hello World app in C#
>Create Hello Wrold app in Java
>Compare memory usage
JavaVermin, do not speak such inequities in my presence again.
>>
>>52390792
>My dear JavaVermin, you are simply projecting

Dear god the irony.

Maybe someday you'll stop being 12 and realize non-VM languages exists.
>>
>>52390821
My dear JavaVermin, it appears that you have become so used to Java's horrible ineffeciencies, that your own thought process has begun to mirror the JVM. I advice you to uninstall any and all things related to Java on your machine, and then drag a magnet across your HDD, and take a walk outside, and maybe apply for work at the local Aldi.
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 500x375px
>>52390737
m'lady
>>
>>52390844
Top kek, it's like you're actually reading from a script. You're not even trying to make your posts fit the reply at all.
>>
File: aint even mad.jpg (84KB, 482x386px) Image search: [Google]
aint even mad.jpg
84KB, 482x386px
>>52390804
>Hi I am a C# programmer AND JAVA IS SO SHIT
>uh okay
>I HATE JAVA
>you know they're basically the same thing right? You should learn a faster language like C
>JAVA IS SO SHIT YOU FUCKING JAVA FAG FUCK JAVA
you're one of them special folks aint you?
>>
>>52390868
My dear JavaVermin, I fear for your sanity, and your intelligence. Please, seek the help I have advised you. Shall I post a link to the local mental institution? They may be able to help you...
>>
>>52390881
My dear JavaVermin disguised as C-Lord, you appear to miss the fact that no other language but Java and C and to some extent Python have been mentioned in this thread.
>>
File: Black-Woman-Smiling.jpg (172KB, 1678x1119px) Image search: [Google]
Black-Woman-Smiling.jpg
172KB, 1678x1119px
>>52390881
He's just a shill reading from his script his boss gave him. Probably a curry nigger pooing in his office as we speak.
>>
>>52390904
protip: when people say non-VM languages, they're referring to non-VM languages

learn D if you can't deal with memory management
>>
>>52390909
>thinking that you shilling for java is different from shilling for C#
My friend JavaVermin, it appears you are being quite hypocritical.
>>
>>52390887
So what are the benefits of C# over Java? I'm legitimately curious because I only know Java.
>>
>>52391027
STRONGER FASTER BETTER
>>
>>52391075
ok that's not going to convince me to learn C#
>>
>>52391027
It's Java done right.
>>
>>52391027
There are none, learn C or even C++14 instead.
>>
>>52391133
I already know C and i love it. I meant I only know Java out of C# and Java. My apologies
>>
>>52390031
c# is a good lang
but mono suck ass on linux
i had a big project on mono
it now causes monodevelop to crash every time i load it
no help from devs
so i switched to vala
much happier
>>
>>52391162
There's honestly no reason to waste your time then unless your job demands it.
>>
>>52390080
This
>>
If you make people install Mono dependencies they will hate you. Learn either C/C++/Python
>>
>>52390031
Whatever happened to Microsoft porting .NET framework to Linux?
>>
>>52391027
No slow shitty JVM shit, mostly.
>>
C# on linux is pretty good OP. I generally do web though (web api backends, angular front end) so if you are using winforms I can't offer much assistance.

I'd recommend looking at some of the open source frameworks that have come out in the last few years as most were designed with cross platform in mind. For example Nancy is quite a good alternative to web api and is self hosting.
>>
>>52391027
C# is java with most of the disadvantages and none of the 'advantages'

it's fractionally faster on windows, uses fractionally less memory, but has to be run with mono on any other platform, which is slower than java

learn D it's faster and easier
>>
>>52391187
I suspected that. My job concerns embedded systems in cars so C# seems pointless.
>>
>>52391262
>C# is java with most of the disadvantages
HAHAHAHA HE THINKS HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT.
>>
>>52391262
>C# is java with most of the disadvantages and none of the 'advantages'
do you have canser anon?
>>
>>52391276
>>52391297
>I'll reply twice, that'll show this anonymous post on a tuvan throat-singing bulletin board
>>
>>52391297
Yes I have pancreatic cancer but that doesn't concern this thread
>>
>>52391237
JVM and CLR are practically identical when it comes to regular bytecode performance, what are you basing this claim on?
>>
>>52391339
stve blowjobs???
izzat u?
>>
File: lolanonmad.png (58KB, 1431x543px) Image search: [Google]
lolanonmad.png
58KB, 1431x543px
>>52391325
Check the times, faggot.
Try harder.

You have no idea what you're talking about, and that's fine, but don't be so ebin and angsty when you get called out on it.
>>
>>52391373
Yea I never died I just went into hiding. But unfortunately I have no control over Apple anymore and Tim Cook is fucking up.
>>
>>52391392
>almost exactly one minute apart
that's the post timer is it not?
>>
>>52391425
>Harping this hard on the "samefag" excuse
why are you trying so hard to change the subject?
>>
>>52391425
turns out it is
>>
>>52391447
>Being a retard and not realizing it's the same topic
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.