[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The vive is the most gimmicky of all VR headsets >full room

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

File: htc-vive-product-1.jpg (19KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
htc-vive-product-1.jpg
19KB, 620x349px
The vive is the most gimmicky of all VR headsets
>full room experience
yeah literally what game would benefit from the ability to walk around a 15'x15' space
>>
>>52384030
oh and forget usefulness. think practicality. How are you going to navigate in VR with a god damn wire to trip on
>>
>> what game benefits from a full room experience
3 words: VR waifu
>>
But anon, doesn't it also work without the positioning? So it's on the next level above Oculus.
>>
>>52384030
Facebook's starting up it's shillbots eh?

You're running a bit late Palmer.
>>
>>52384092
The only letter you need to know are
>YOO
>ESS
>AYY
[clapping intensifies]
>>
>>52384136
oculus has positioning as well, but using a single camera tracking a reasonably small area. I'd imagine its more accurate and easier to set up than these 2 boxes you have to put at opposite corners of the tracking area for the vive

>>52384161
no shill here, I'm just sick of seeing the same people who say vr is a gimmick say they're just going to wait for the vive
>>
>>52384030
>how to discard OP's opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jDo-NnyaY
>>
>>52384030
>2016
>Not wanting to help your VR waifu in the kitchen
>>
>>52384239
there is a major flaw with the vive, you can't finger your waifu.
>>
>>52384250
can't wait for positional tracked sex dolls
>>
>>52384226
this is a small area to move around in and not a great example of a game where you walk around. The oculus' single tracking sensor could easily track you just as well in this small area they have to move around in
>>
>>52384290
>i didn't watch the whole video
>>
>>52384224
So... The Vive is the same thing but better?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (61KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
61KB, 1000x563px
>>52384267
you didn't get the joke
>>
>>52384030
You realize that HTC as a brand is worth nothing right? Like literally nothing.
>>
>>52384352
same thing, but different. I prefer a smaller tracking area with more precision that's easier to set up as opposed to a wider area with less precision and more involved setup.

>>52384334
The fact of the matter is this "full room experience" will not see much use from the average user, hence why I call it a gimmick
>>
>>52384416
The cable is a major nuisance for room scale. Technicians were always carrying the cable and making sure the users weren't getting tangled. Standing or seated would work fine.

If I had one, I think I'd end up fucking around with roomscale for a little while then return to seated or standing type applications.

Main thing Vive has going for it is the easier to setup base stations so you could lower the chance of occlusion and their camera.

Room scale sounds cool but unless they make the damn thing wireless I don't see it taking off anytime soon.

Besides making it wireless there is also the issue of people finding the space to use it. 2~3 meters squared isn't much but there are many that wouldn't have that kind of space available.
>>
>>52384030
The games that are going to be designed for this.
>>
>>52384224
>the same people
I'm sure that's correct in your mind.
>>
The Vive supports Linux, that's all I care about.
>>
>>52384416
>I prefer a smaller tracking area with more precision
Except the Rift's tracking isn't more precise at all.
>>
>>52384030
>ability to walk around a 15'x15' space
you keep rotating the scene

i was actually thinking about this last night, as you look say down or something, the virtual scene could spin.

But then i don't know how to tackle "run forward 100yds"

i want warehouse kinda floor space, make these shits wireless, 8 people and airsoft guns (for muh recoil)
>airsoft just literally became starwars

THAT would be fun, fuck consumer VR
lets get commercial VR off the fucking ground

thats what i'm hyped for, not wearing a headset in my living room
>>
>>52385636
>i want warehouse kinda floor space, make these shits wireless, 8 people and airsoft guns (for muh recoil)
That wouldn't be viable for regular people, but that actually sounds like a really cool idea for an amusement park type place. You could just repurpose a laser tag arena.
Problem is that if some guy trips and breaks a headset it's $600 to replace it though.
>>
>>52385636
what you are looking for is a technique called redirected walking. But it requires a very large space and has limitations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQBRkAq6OY

A small rotation is applied that you would not easily notice and adjust for, you would think you are moving straight when in fact you are moving at a slight curve.
>>
>>52385636
>wireless
That would be ideal, but I get the feeling that the latency would be too high.
>>
>>52385636
This already exists
I can't remember how it is called though (search the Oculus Reddit if you want)

>>52385745
>the speed of light is too slow
>>
>>52385780
* and by "this" I mean commercial VR theme parks not redirected walking
>>
>>52385780
>the speed of light is too slow
What? Why do you think we don't have zero latency wireless hdmi? Why do we plug monitors in at all if you think this is possible?
>>
>>52384030
>not using open source virtual reality
>>
>>52385708
ah neat, maybe thats literally why the demand for 15x15?

>>52385699
>That wouldn't be viable for regular people, but that actually sounds like a really cool idea for an amusement park type place
that's literally the point, i do not support consumer VR at least for a few more years.

Airsoft guns that are $400 a pop can usually be had for $100 a pop but that pricing is literally only for park owners.

If i need to purchase 12 headsets from you, is your punkass really going to charge me $600 each or are you going to be smart and drop them to $300 a pop.

If we can focus on NOT providing VR to the living room we will have a much faster development cycle for VR as a whole, and rather than focus on problems in a small room, develop for the warehouse, and eventually scale the tech back to the living room.

Prorotypes would get nailed out much faster, and in theory jumpstart the VR industry as a whole.

And by the time it finally hits the living room it will be damn near perfect.

VR amusement parks are the future, you heard it here first.
>>
The vive is the BEST vr headset
Gtfo
>>
>>52384030
Vive is closer to holodeck experience
>>
>>52385591
>more precise sensors are a meme
>>
>>52385821
I don't want to have to go somewhere to experience going somewhere in VR.
>>
>>52385808
>Why do you think we don't have zero latency wireless hdmi?
Because the people creating them are incompetent

Wireless transmission and compression can be done with sub-millisecond latency
The problem is the amounts of data you have to transmit error-free is a bit too much for current wireless technologies
And the requirements are only rising
>>
>>52385947
I would be more immersive you fat fuck
>>
>>52384061
That's pretty easy actually. Just have the cord on a pull back similar to a vacuum cleaner.
>>
>>52385955
So the technology isn't readily available either way. I don't know what that burden should fall on VR hardware creators.
>>
>>52385830

>both vr hmd's haven't announced a single thing about their tech indepth to make a conclusion of what is objectively better

>"this is better than that!"

>>52385883
the rift seems adaptable to me in this regard, not focused on roomscale like vive, but viable non the less
>>
>>52385821
You'll need a lot more than that I think, if you make the curve too steep you will notice it and it'll break your immersion. The other problem is the cable tangling.

There is ongoing research on it, but it seems there are limitations to what you can do with it. It seems you need to know your destination before hand to calculate an appropriate trajectory. You also have to make sure that you don't run out of physical space.

Level design will have to take this all into account. It'll be interesting to see what compromises are made to ensure that you remain within the boundaries of your physical space.

I take it most games designed for room scale will be very limited in size, like job simulator. Teleportation opens up more possibilities but it sure as hell won't work well for fast paced first person type games unless certain constraints are put in place for the fighting to ensure you don't exit your physical boundaries.

You can't get away with tying locomotion to a thumbstick for first person games since that would increase the likelihood of certain people getting motion sick. Especially if you move very fast in game.

3rd person games and platformers can get away with it I suppose for reasons I don't know. Perhaps it has something to do with mimicking the human body and getting mixed signals between your eyes and inner ear.

You can still get motion sick in 3rd person games if the camera judders and moves all over the place. Usually they have it on a rail following the character and you control the camera with your head. So long as you have full control over the camera and it isn't moving insanely fast you should be fine I suppose.
>>
>>52385821
>ah neat, maybe thats literally why the demand for 15x15?
It's difficult to explain if you haven't used VR
But being able to walk around an object and look at it from every possible angle like you would in real life is extremely immersive and it also tells you exactly how it would look irl
>>
>>52385988
Well, there was no real demand for them either so far
But now the demand is huge and there's much money to be made
So wireless video will be commonplace sooner or later
>>
>>52386212
>>52385955
You'd need a pretty powerful battery for a wireless VR headset.
>>
>>52386341
Pfft, nonsense. Wireless energy.
>>
>>52386362
Not sure if serious. Wireless energy fucks up wireless communications.
>>
>>52386391
Nah, I'm just poking fun of the other guy that wants wireless video.
>>
>>52386341
20 laptop batteries would still be pretty small and light
And good enough to power a high-end PC until you collapse from exhaustion
>>
It's pretty interesting seeing the cost estimations some people are doing of the Vive, checking what all the parts cost.
Seems it doesn't actually cost as much to produce as many are thinkin, and could beat/match the Rift in price if HTC is somehow willing to sell it that cheap
>>
>>52386485
They're pretty much the same apart from different tracking
I doubt the Vive will be much cheaper
>>
>>52386533
Yeah, it's just that a lot of people are expecting it to be a lot more expensive, when it seems it might actually straight up be cheaper to produce than the Rift, that's supposedly being sold at no profit.

Regarding tracking, Lighthouse should be substantially cheaper than Oculus' solution
>>
>>52384224
>oculus has positioning as well, but using a single camera tracking a reasonably small area. I'd imagine its more accurate and easier to set up than these 2 boxes you have to put at opposite corners of the tracking area for the vive

You imagine wrong, the Vive is more accurate than the Oculus Rift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otz5rAUOaqk
>>
>>52384030
>literally what game would benefit from the ability to walk around a 15'x15' space

Dance Dance Revolution.

Yeah, it's not an important feature.
At least not yet.
But I don't see why it's "bad" that it has it.
>>
>>52386613
How much do those cameras cost? around $30 a pop?

The thing is if the cameras are amortized and mass produced already they might end up on par or cheaper if the initial cost of manufacturing the base stations is high until there are enough units to distribute that initial cost.

Doesn't look like it would cost a lot to manufacture though, just 2 motors, some PCB and a small plastic casing.
>>
File: the future.jpg (296KB, 1917x1007px) Image search: [Google]
the future.jpg
296KB, 1917x1007px
I'm ready for the future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf93T42uJkE
>>
>>52386485
http://wccftech.com/report-htc-vive-possibly-priced-high-1500/

my estimations are 1200$ atleast
>>
>>52389126
That report is absolute bullshit, but believe it if you want
Explain to me why the Vive would cost that much; there's nothing about it that warrants the cost, unless HTC wants to double what it costs to produce it and sell 0 units in the process
>>
it seems like a safety issue.
they expect you to navigate around a 15' square without tripping over anything, you cant even see you own feet with the headset on.

does it give you a massive warning if a person or object enters your 15' safety square? seems like it would need to.
>>
File: Untitled.png (257KB, 684x338px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
257KB, 684x338px
>>52389338
The camera lets you sort of have a passthrough to the real world
>>
>>52387359
Someone needs to build a retractable spherical rig with cameras and do this shit with real life models.
>inb4 3dpd
>>
>>52389126
I would be willing to pay that much if it actually had haptic feedback, but I doubt anyone else would.
>>
>>52389254
the rift wants to be the standard which is heavily subsidized already by facebook revenue.

the vive wants to be a major competitor with better hardware and software, see the camera, the already provided controllers, the roomscale as a default option of the pre-vive.
>>
File: 1452616992976.png (665KB, 1280x1728px) Image search: [Google]
1452616992976.png
665KB, 1280x1728px
>>52389675
Having roomscale capabilities doesn't make it more expensive, that's just what their (non-expensive) tracking solution allows
Controllers probably aren't too expensive but of course it drags up the price.
In terms of hardware, I've heard people say the Vive might have slightly worse optics and screens, so that probably costs less than the Rifts, but that's just speculation.
The camera on the Vive adds some cost but I doubt it's an expensive camera since it doesn't have to do too much advanced tracking.

Not saying pic related is 100% accurate but I certainly think it's worth a look if you think the Vive's gonna cost $1200 - $1500
>>
>>52389793
Yeah, that.

The rumors about the Vive costing more than $1k is some stupid shit god damn.
>>
>>52389881
The real question is how much money HTC wants to make per unit sold
Even if the Vive might cost less or equal to what a Rift costs to make I doubt HTC can afford to sell them for that cheap, at least without the help of Valve
>>
>>52389915
In any case, it still won't be over $1k for sticker price, at the very least. I think even HTC's smart enough to see how big of a failure that would be.
>>
>>52384030
I'd love a myst like game in that environment.
>>
>>52389944
If they decide to sell it for $600 they just win, $700 would pull a lot of people over because of included controllers and at $800 they'd lose their advantage.
Anything above $800 would be a huge mistake
>>
>>52385979
I'd put mine on a over head rotating reel.
>>
>>52384239
>2016
>Not possibly injuring yourself or others and likely damaging your property
>>
>>52389793
>senhizer quality

made me kek
>>
>>52389254

you underestimate Valve drones even at $1000+ the Vive would still sell
>>
>>52389979
http://uploadvr.com/thunderbird-innervision-vr-preview-exclusive/
>>
>>52389464
>Video feed with a high pass filter applied
In all honesty it's kind of hilarious.
>>
File: ycym1ynpZ5_x.jpg (75KB, 939x525px) Image search: [Google]
ycym1ynpZ5_x.jpg
75KB, 939x525px
>>52384030
>literally what game would benefit from the ability to walk around

Would be useful for those VR Arcades that let you walk around a maze like those ancient laser tag arenas.
>>
>>52390713
Better than nothing though.
>>
>>52386485
If the Vive end up being cheaper than the Rift, we could easily see a repeat of Betamax/VHS. It's how we know the cheaper option tends to win.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.