[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FIXING LAPTOP MOBO ON MY OWN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: presario_cq71.jpg (102KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
presario_cq71.jpg
102KB, 1024x768px
hi, my bro bought used laptop presario CQ71, it came without power supply (19V/4.74A) but he's not really technical so he connected it to power supply from another laptop (19.5V/6.76A) it powered up for 5 seconds then gone down.
i wonder what's dead: only power circuits or whole motherboard (more components that i fix on my own)
i have a soldering iron and multimeter, i wonder if it's possible to fix it? change some resistors/capacitors? how do i do that? i can get other totally broken notebooks (that were thrashed) for spare parts but not necessarily that particular model.
i found repair manual for disassembly already, also have schematics from s-manuals.com but what exactly do i do to fix it :<
other option is buy new motherboard and obviously proper power supply, it will be like 75$ which i don't currently have and neither does he that's why i realy want to fix it myself. also main purpose my bro's laptop will be learning english and downloading/reading books from gen.lib.rus.ec so please don't make fun of us for not having money, it's really strictly for educational purposes.
>>
>>52380033
>Read the sticky
>Install gentoo
>>>/wsr/
>>>/g/sqt

how to troubleshoot 101 - Get the schematic and identify and isolate the main input power circuity, then take your multimeter and probe every component starting from the jack and moving your way right up until you get to an asic. if you can;t identify a single component that failed by comparing the values your read to the intent values then you throw it in the le garbage.

It's more than likely dead anon, don't waste your time. sell the cpu, ram and throw that thing out. Head down to your local WEEE point and grab stuff out there to fix.
>>
>>52380033
if you have the manuals and the hardware, just fix it, proceed, it's not that hard.

also good job Anon, you seem to know exactly what you're doing. we're proud of you.
>>
>>52380033
Step one is to test the AC Adapter for correct function. Place the negative lead from your multi on the outer metal wall of the plug that goes into the laptop, and then put the positive lead of the multimeter on the small pole inside of the same plug. If it reads the correct voltage and current, then chances are it isn't your AC Adapter.

Now step two is to fucking chuck that shitty CQ71 and save up for a computer that you should have to be paid to use. Jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>52382124
it's the laptop that's gone down.

>>52381862
>also good job Anon, you seem to know exactly what you're doing. we're proud of you.
well, i'm not sure i really can do it, maybe it's just my self-confidence after all this life of shit but it kinda sounds like sarcasm
>>
>>52382356
Not him but even if you can't fix this particular board, you'll be far better off than if you didn't try. Worst case scenario a broken board stays broken.

You define sound more clued in that most anons though, having sourced schematics and repair manuals on your own.
>>
Check the fuses. But i doubt thats the issue. They have plenty of tolerance for input. My old sony would work from 15v to 21v
>>
what happens if you let it sit on the power supply for a couple minutes rather immediately powering it up?
>>
>>52384084
when i connect it to 19.5V one the light near power plug lights up for 10 seconds and goes out.
>>
File: louis.png (681KB, 687x431px) Image search: [Google]
louis.png
681KB, 687x431px
Watch all of my videos and then tackle it.
>>
>>52385831
awesome, thanks, i'll watch lots of them tomorrow, now off ot sleep.
>>
>>52385831
What fucking race is this guy
>>
>>52386056
>What fucking race is this guy
Jew.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.