[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are external hard drives just laptop hard drives with a fancy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (137KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 750x1334px
Are external hard drives just laptop hard drives with a fancy enclosure for USB connection or is my roommate retarded?
>>
Nope he's right.
If you even needed to ask then it's you who is retarded.
>>
My external HDD is actually a hdd I took from my boss's nas thatI hot glued into a cardboard box
>>
Small ones are, the larger ones are 3.5 inch HDDs inside enclosures.

You fucking tard.
Do you have someone who looks after you I can talk to?
>>
>>52380012
some of them are even 2 hard drives together, RAID, and other fancy get ups.
>>
>>52380012
They're generally desktop class drives in 2.5" or 3.5" form factor in a USB case. In a lot of older USB enclosures you could pull out the disk. Now some manufacturer are making it one piece so you can't.
>>
>>52380304
what would be the point of taking it out in the first place? Surely an external HDD would be more expensive than one packed and branded as an internal one since the enclosure adds to the cost
>>
>>52380344
SATA is faster than USB.
>>
>>52380344
Converting a gifted or spare external HDD is cheaper than buying an internal one.
>>
Yes. Though sometimes they solder the connector on so you can't just simply crack it open and use the drive.
>>
File: ext.jpg (3MB, 4000x6000px) Image search: [Google]
ext.jpg
3MB, 4000x6000px
>>52380012
the small ones are laptop drives with a USB and power adapter. the bigger ones are the same thing but with desktop drives.

i actually bought some external 4TB drives, took the HDDs out and put them in my server. they were cheaper than internals. i think some manufacturers started soldering the connectors to prevent people from just taking out the drives.

pic related, one of the adapters. top left is SATA and SATA power. bottom right is USB and DC in.
>>
>>52380344
maybe putting a larger new HDD in the same enclosure?
>>
>>52380142
> I took from my boss's nas
did you just take a HDD that was in use or was it a throwaway disk
>>
they are, i broke out the 1tb laptop hard drive from the external i got for 25 bucks, and I'm using it on my thinkpad.

put in another hard drive in the package, and use that as an external one now.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.