[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ARM SoCs in my toy computers can open facbeook without lagging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 1451802869531.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1451802869531.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>ARM SoCs in my toy computers can open facbeook without lagging too much now, it's like, LITERALLY the future guys, x86 is L I T E R A L L Y finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you propagate this meme, /g/?
>>
>>52376330
not a meme desu
>>
>>52376330
>implying x86/64 will be available in 10 years
>implying not all laptops will be ARM in 5 years

INTELFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>52376330
although I hate this ifag cancer I would like to point out that my
Kyocera hydro vibe
lg volt
moto g 3ed gen
galaxy s3/4
lumia 928
lumia 1020
nexus 6
and gflex 2
never lag EVER these phones ranged from 30 to 600 dollars and all use arm cpus this lagdroid meme needs to burn out and die
just because your toy is locked down has shit battery life and won't have a head phone jack next year dosent mean you can blatantly lie to future android and windows phone customers in an attempt to bring up your 10% market share

>b..but green text
litterly no one cares I'm 20 and everyone I know uses lg or Samsung flagships or off brand budget phones
>>
>>52376330
Because ARM derivatives have 95% the functionality of an intel chip for 5% the price and power consumption.
>>
100 rupees added into your Intel Public Image Management Associate Account, mohit
>>
>ARM
>no relevant software
>used by retards to play candy crush
>content consumption oriented
>you can't do shit on it

>x86/64
>literally can do fucking everything

lol ok

>le power consunshon XD

Nobody fucking cares retard, hardware nowadays is at idle when you aren't doing anything relevant so you aren't really wasting energy.
>>
>>52378641
>source: my friends in middle school
>>
>>52378641
What? I can do everything on my RPI that i can do on my GNU/Linux desktop.
It's just really slow.

Maybe you shouldn't use shitty proprietary software.
>>
>>52378641
>no relevant software

I assume that the entire Debian repository, as well as literally all open source software is "irrelevant", right?
>>
>>52378671
Source: Content creation industry standard software and gaymers
>>52378692
Sure, let me just download my autistic cowsay package guise!
>>52378690
>shitnux

Yeah.
>>
>>52378576
If X86 or a natural successor with common instruction set support isn't the mainstream high performance architecture 10 years from everything would be fucked.

The investment in both dollars and man hours into the X86 market is astounding. All of the software and infrastructure built up around it alone gives the architecture a guaranteed legacy customer base. It would be bad for the market if there were extreme segmentation once again for desktop users. Imagine if you had to buy a desktop with an ARM SoC in it today, but the chips were socketed. Do you think all these vendors are going to use a common socket? Do you think mobo manufacturers are going to support 9 entirely different sockets, along with different SKU price points for each socket? Imagine trying to run mainstream software on the clusterfuck that is the ARM environment if you were requiring performance. The vast range of driver support for GPUs alone is horrifying.

ARM chips are fine for mobile devices because they're locked down, and no one is demanding serious performance from them. They can get away with being cobbled together. A desktop CPU doesn't have the same luxury. If AMD and intel aren't the two main contenders in computing post X86 then the market is going to suck shit exactly like it did in the early 90s. People will buy into systems that have no upgrade path because the company will be dead in a year. Everyone has their own radically different implementations, some of them flat out don't work, and you're fucked if you buy the wrong one. Some manufacturers won't support your chip at all, and you'll be buying a sketchy Chink board for your CPU.
No one wants to go back to this.
>>
>>52378703
>muh games
Get off this board you child.
>>
>>52378718
>can't refute other points

well, time to reinstall your shitty OS because it just broke again from you being butthurt.
>>
>>52378706
while many of the things you said are correct, the fact that ARM is much cheaper and produced by many companies will give them a big chunk of market share.
x86/64 will be available for a long time given current software and market share, but most low/middle performance devices will be overrun by ARM in coming years.
Most people see the OS as a browser sandbox nowdays, so for 50-80% of the population, software comparability isn't that important.
And diversity might do some good.
Yes, upgradability and low-level hardware access will range from shit to non-existing, but just like the 90's, more device classes will emerge, and specialized solutions will become available.
It's not that bad.
>>
>>52376330
lol

Apple A9X is already literally faster than most i5s
>>
>>52378598
Yeah, if you're a unitasking grandma. Why are even here?

>>52378629
I shit in my hands, not in the street, Raj.

>>52378808
I'd say it's quite the opposite from (anecdotal) experience, normafags that dictate the low and midrange consumer markets are the ones that need the legacy support the most. My roommate isn't going to go out and buy a new copy of Office when 2003 works fine on his brand new UltraBook, my grandma still uses a fucking Mavica, my old PC XT that left the factory in 1983 was still in service until 2010. While there are a lot of normafags just using the web on a tablet/phone most of the time, a lot of them still keep a desktop or laptop around to dust off when they need to do something other than dicking around, and they don't really give half a shit about being up to date
>>
>>52378886
On some shitty synthetic benchmark.
>>
>>52379400
Homophobes have no place here.
>>
>>52378886
It really isn't. I dare you to use an A9X on Win 10 and play BF4 or Crysis 3. You fucking can't m8, and even if it could it wouldn't be able to play or do anything besides what a normal Atom can do. It's using the lightweight OS that is iOs.
>>
ARM CPUs are like cockroaches. They're so plentiful and cheap, you're never going to get rid of them. Deal with it.
>>
Plebs. Z80 > all
>>
>>52378706
Apple's Rosetta showed us that binary translators can work well and provide good performance. So moving from x86 to ARM in a very smooth manner where you just continue using the same x86 programs before you replace them with ARM binaries is very much possible.

The investment in the x86 market may be huge, but all that money doesn't really mean much when ARM chips are becoming more and more capable while still being cheaper than their Intel rivals. Segmentation isn't an issue ether as Apple showed that you can sell machines running two different architectures at the same time and still have software and peripherals be completely cross compatible between the two machines.

As for your rambling about chips being locked down. Chips themselves are NOT locked down, it's the devices using them that are locked down. If a maker wants to make a locked down device it can use an x86 or ARM chip. On the other side, if a device maker wants to make an open device, it can also be an ARM or x86 device if the maker so chooses.

With all the investment going into producing better and better mobile chips due to mobile being where the big growth is happening, ARM is going get progressively better and more widespread while x86 will obviously continue to flounder in this space even if Intel continues giving out billions of dollars worth of chips for free.
>>
>>52378706
If 6502 or a natural successor with common instruction set support isn't the mainstream home computer architecture 10 years from everything would be fucked.

The investment in both dollars and man hours into the 6502 market is astounding. All of the software and infrastructure built up around it alone gives the architecture a guaranteed legacy customer base. It would be bad for the market if there were extreme segmentation once again for desktop users. Imagine if you had to buy a desktop with an 8086 CPU in it today, but the chips were socketed. Do you think all these vendors are going to use a common socket? Do you think mobo manufacturers are going to support 9 entirely different sockets, along with different SKU price points for each socket? Imagine trying to run mainstream software on the clusterfuck that is the 8086 environment if you were requiring performance. The vast range of BIOS support for hard disks alone is horrifying.

8086 chips are fine for embedded devices because they're locked down, and no one is demanding serious compatibility from them. They can get away with being cobbled together. A desktop CPU doesn't have the same luxury. If MOS Technologies and ZiLOG aren't the two main contenders in computing post 6502 then the market is going to suck shit exactly like it did in the early 70s. People will buy into systems that have no upgrade path because the company will be dead in a year. Everyone has their own radically different implementations, some of them flat out don't work, and you're fucked if you buy the wrong one. Some manufacturers won't support your chip at all, and you'll be buying a sketchy Chink board for your CPU.
No one wants to go back to this.
>>
>>52376330
INTEL BTFO
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.