[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Faking out school WiFi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: cover.jpg (4MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
4MB, 2000x2000px
So my school did this thing to the wifi where you can only use it on a laptop if you have virus protection. Is it possible to fake out the WiFi and make my laptop appear as a cell phone so I don't have to deal with it?
>>
>>52374968
Wait how are they accomplishing that? Do you have to connect through some program?
>>
>>52375053
They scan your computer for the software before letting you connect
>>
>>52374968
School servers are always run by lazy or incompetent people. Try looking for a loophole or talk to some people around school who might be able to find one.
>>
>>52374968
depends on the exact implementation but in general yea.
>>
>>52375053
Yeah you have to download a program
>>52375362
>>52375362
Any ideas what a loophole will look like?
>>
>>52375388
Why can't you just connect to it normally?
>>
>>52375388
What about linux and os x?
>>
Last time I had to deal with one of these all you had to do was spoof your browser user agent on the captive portal page. Don't know if it will be that easy for you.
>>
I can't connect to it normally because it knows I'm using a laptop. It works fine on my phone but won't let me join on my laptop without installing Antivirus
>>
>>52375388
Not a clue, but at my school it's always something simple as hell. Youtube's block is bypassed just by typing in https:// beforehand and I discovered just the other day that there's a hidden spyware control panel in Chrome that I can use to disable the whatever the program is on school computers.
>>
>>52375457
There are some programs that I need for homework that won't run on Linux so that's not an option. OSX has it even worse than Windows AFAIK
>>
its probably something like cleanaccess or similar. long story short: yes there are some methods that might work, but you personally? no. if you dont even know what is being used, you yourself do not have the technical prowess to fake it.

might as well just buy a mac, because you wont be able to handle linux (especially in college), and osx and linux do not require AV
>>
The program is called OnGuard. It requires AV on OSX as well as windows
>>
>>52375519
It's called OnGuard
>>
>>52375543
well then you are fucked. just install mse or if that wont work then just install a free dumb a/v and call it a day. its not worth the time to bypass in your situation
>>
>>52375590
Alright I guess I'll do that then. Thanks for the input dude
>>
>>52375472
Change your browser's UA string to something typically seen on a cell phone. If that fails, you might try spoofing your MAC address so that your laptop looks like a phone. You may also be able to rig your phone so that it acts like a proxy, preventing the school network from even seeing your laptop.
>>
>>52375619
yeah i dont want to act like a dick, but it really isnt worth the trouble, especially if you have to run the client on the machine. onguard is a decent program, used in enterprise a lot and that is why i say it just isnt worth the hassle.

if the free microsoft mse counts as a valid a/v, that would be your best bet.

you are going to get all kinds of weird ways to try and bypass it, and its just going to be a bitch and take hours to test and get nowhere. ive been there and done that a long time ago
>>
get user agent switcher addon for firefox
>>
>>52375543
>>52375590
I still don't understand how this determines whether you have an AV installed on your laptop or not.

If you have a firewalled laptop and aren't running school supplied software the only way I believe it could tell if you were a laptop vs a phone would be MAC or UA or browser headers (all the extra shit about plugins) or screen size.
appart from if the AV adds extra records in browser headers, which IMHO is a horrible idea, there shouldn't be any way for it to figure out if you are running AV fromthe browser
running java or flash on the portal is a equally horrible idea.
>>
>>52375729
there are different ways to enforce this type of nac. in most cases, you will download and install a client that will check the os itself, the mac address is useless and its not going to sit there waiting for the a/v to phone home or some weird shit.

if you dont need a client continuously running, it runs some sort of browser applet like activex or java to check the os.

most of the time it is using a client on the machine, doesnt really use much resources or anything.

and for mobile access they could simply require you to install an app, i have seen that before.
>>
>>52375729

It doesn't do a check in the browser. If I remember correctly OnGuard initially takes you to a captive portal where you can't do anything except download an executable. That executable is what scans for AV software or whatever else the administrator wants installed on your computer. You can either install the software they mandate or you can't connect.
>>
>>52375729
>running java or flash on the portal is a equally horrible idea
They already have their students vendor locked; one more horrendously stupid idea wouldn't exactly be unprecedented.
>>
>>52375793
If that is the case, then I would recommend that the OP use a virtual machine when he needs to access the school network on his laptop.
>>
>>52375793
huh so a parent has to give their 12 yo admin access so they can install random executables (presumably served over http) just to connect to the wifi.

it probably sends a soap message to some machine with your MAC a collection of other information it shouldn't have access to and the AV your running.
>>
OP here. The built in AV from Windows was enough to get passed the OnGuard software so I don't have a reason to bypass it anymore
>>
>>52375864
On Windows everyone is an admin.
>>
>>52375355
How the fuck
>>
>>52375894
Personally, having to install an unwanted and unnecessary program is reason enough to bypass that shit.
>>
>>52375355
How do they scan it?????????????
>>
I hate this website
Why do I even come here
>>
File: GTFO.jpg (66KB, 395x400px) Image search: [Google]
GTFO.jpg
66KB, 395x400px
>>52376012
well, as they say, don't let the door hit ya in the ass on your way out
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.