[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did /g/ get employed? I just finished my CS degree and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

File: 1452543478768.jpg (51KB, 675x390px) Image search: [Google]
1452543478768.jpg
51KB, 675x390px
How did /g/ get employed? I just finished my CS degree and I'm too inexperienced to get a dev job. I've been looking for anything, and I'm thinking about just moving out west to find something that can pay the rent.
I've been turned down for positions doing php, java, and ruby on rails/COBOL, and It's starting to get annoying

I'm even considering some sys admin tier work. Has anyone been in this situation? I'm in the blue part of this map looking to go to a white part of it.
I'd be fine with ~30k at this point.
>>
File: 1422058875345.jpg (24KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1422058875345.jpg
24KB, 800x600px
>>52369582
>How did /g/ get employed?
No jobs.
>>
>>52369582
Are you actually applying or are you just looking.

Tip #1. Apply anyway, even if you don't have the experience
Tip #2: Lie. Lie lie lie. Lie about experience. Lie about accomplishments. Lie about references. Lying will get you really far in the working world. If you learn how to lie to your boss work can be really good.
Tip #3: Don't be autistic, or be so autistic it's mistaken for brilliance.
>>
>>52369582
>I've been turned down for positions doing php, java, and ruby on rails/COBOL, and It's starting to get annoying

>Stop rejecting me for employment you shitheads, it's fucking annoying.
- /g/ 2016
>>
>>52369582
Don't do SysAdmin. That job would be your grave. Go for what you are prepared for.

>>52369671
Doesn't laying give out a horribly bad image if they catch you?

I used to lie about job titles, tasks on them, amount of experience, accomplishments, etc, then I figured it was just too indian tier, and now I'm fully honest and I think it may be a good thing if they notice.

>Tip #3: Don't be autistic, or be so autistic it's mistaken for brilliance.

How could it be mistaken for brilliance? I'm asking because this made me think. There are a few jobs where I surprisingly got hired despite my awkwardness and I just shrugged it off and thought well maybe my skills were good enough, or that it wasnt as bad as i thought. But now I'm thinking that my cringey autism might have come across like those hollywood movie "brilliant" autism and literally gotten me the job.
>>
>>52369859
i mean lying lel
>>
>>52369582
i dropped out of college, completed lots of personal projects, and now make 50K a year

all of my personal projects is what landed my my jobs
>reverse engineering messenger protocols when i was 16
>creating a batch credit card processor for authorize.net (which requires you can manually log into the site to do, i chopped up their sdk and added that functionality in)

those are the main two that tend to finalize the deal.

dont even apply for a job unless you actually have experience, thats all people care about.

moving out west you're going to need a higher paying job to survive.
>>
>>52369582
>close to graduation
>no money, no job, no internships to get job with
>start working at shitty callcenter, minimal wage, local it/shitty work
>after a year develop a little thing in the company, get raise
>change jobs to junior developer
4 years fast forward and I'm rich and unhappy
>>
>>52369671
I agree about the lying. Everyone else applying for that job is lying as well. At most, they will ask you a few questions in the interview, no one ever checks into this shit.
>>
>>52369582
I'm an Unemployed man doing a morning shit. Unemployed by choice though.

What have you done besides you cs degree? Do you have a github?

If you haven't done anything apart from University you don't really deserve a job in the area.
>>
>>52369967
>I'm rich and unhappy
why bro?

>>52369956
that's actually pretty cool m8

50K isnt that good for certain areas though, where do you live?
>>
>>52369582
did 3 years as part IT technician and part sysadmin in the military which is complete bullshit (they get real professionals if they want shit done), was bored most of the time so programmed small apps to make my day easier.
after leaving the army found a job as a programmer.
never lied in an interview always said exactly what i know and what i don't, but i did specify how i got to learning most of the stuff.
>>
>>52370039
>If you haven't done anything apart from University you don't really deserve a job in the area.

>you dont deserve a job if you dont work for free in your spare time

nice mentality you fucker
>>
>>52370077
>they get real professionals if they want shit done
well dude if you're on a paycheck you are supposed to be one arent you?
>>
>>52370058
Money in IT is so easy to get you stop caring about them soon enough. Then you are just unhappy and rich.
>>
>>52370085
if you like what you do then its more like a hobby that gets you your income so you cant call it work.
i get an hourly wage where i work and i still work on scripts and firmware when im at home just cause i like it, i guess it does give me more credit with my boss but w/e who cares as long as its fun.
>>
>>52369582
start in QA, start coding in QA, work your way up the ladder
>>
by learning C, C++ & reverse engineering (fucking around with IDA, OllyDbg, wireshark, etc.) on my own in high school.

I'm 23 now, make 6 digits, and I didn't waste my time & money on a crappy-ass degree. Granted, I might've gotten a better-paying job with a degree but it doesn't shit after taxes, student loans, and counting for that fact that I'd have to waste a few years of my life getting bored to death rather than working in IT and getting paid for doing what I love.
>>
>>52370132
so do i but not everyone m8
>>
>>52370134
if you do this you are a cu᠎ck
>>
>>52370105
mandatory conscription pays jack shit.
they own your ass and pay you just enough to buy a pack of cigarettes and some tooth paste.
>>
Fuck if I know. Probably because I asked for a low pay because I'm a shy faggot.
>>
>>52370058
pretty decent for muh php in a startup community
i was making 60K at grooveshark with stock options but whatever man

rent is decently cheap

i can afford all muh guns and computans
stress factor is virtually none
>>
>>52370149
well then too bad for them, cause those are the people who end up rich and unhappy.
right now i probably get half of what i could get in IT with what i know, but i just like building new systems and customizing that shit till it just twerks. and best part is, i get to do that with brand new, top of the line equipment on a daily basis.
>>
>>52370203
oh and central florida
>>
>>52370203
>>52370220

i say you made a good deal m8

talking about stock options how does that shit work? you keep them even if you leave or they fire you, right? and they give you more and more the longer you work for them or what? what prevents me from changing jobs a lot so I can get rich from lots of stock?
>>
>>52370286
i'm pretty sure you keep them, at grooveshark we had the option of buying stock, it wasn't like they were given to us.

But i heard some companies will do that, rather than say a holiday bonus you get stocks.

And to be quite honest before i pulled the trigger and bought some they removed that right from us.

The best part about grooveshark was the free food cooked by the companies personal chef, fuck the stock options, do you know how much money i saved? who cares if you're making 50K or 100K free food every day saves a lot of money in your pocket.

Try to work for a company with free food.
>>
>>52370359
nice call but im looking for a job right now, in last stage of a few companies, and it seems like the one I'll end in (to secure the chance to get something at all as I need the money) in a crappy startup with less than 10 employees and no free food in all likelyhood. Maybe another time.
>>
>>52369582
kill yourself

>>>/biz/
>>
>>52370286
>you keep them even if you leave
Doesn't work like that. Do yourself a favor and read up on the subject. It's fairly complex and there's a lot of stuff you must know otherwise you'll get fucked in the ass by someone selling who'll be selling you lies.

If you don't believe me, just hit google for blog posts of startup workers that thought they had it good with stock options - until reality hit them in the face (after an IPO, merge, or whatever).
>>
>>52370077
So you got veterans preference. Better than having you being a homeless drunkard imo
>>
I want to make a site (i guess i'm in the middle of making it) but it's complete shit. I haven't implemented half the features that i want to but i still need to start applying soon. Should i keep working on it till its completed or just polish what i have and be done with it?

I also have a bunch of projects that i started but never finished anyone got some general advice or tips on what i should do?
>>
>>52370203
>grooveshark

whoo boy, i was at a house party and someone from the gainesville grooveshark office was there. not gonna name names, but this guy chugged some hunch punch, then took a blunt to the face like i'd never seen.

it was at that moment i had such admiration for a guy who was truly living it up
>>
if you didnt get a job out of school, you either went to a garbage school or you are just not trying.

you should have at least had an internship. shit, companies come to my small school in the mid west all the time and say they are looking to hire right out of school for $75k starting. and these are bigger companies too
>>
>>52370898
How do you get an internship? Do you need to go through the school program or can you get one on your own? I tried the school way and it was a waste of time and money, I didn't even get an interview. I have one year left of CS, is it too late for this summer? Could I get an internship after I graduate next summer?
>>
be good
>>
Create a startup.

Be your OWN BOSS, TODAY!
>>
>>52371365

Aren't tech startups in a dangerous bubble right now?
>>
>>52370518
im about to join a small startup as said before, what do i do for best chances of being set for life if they make it big?
>>
>>52371384
no.
>>
>>52371384
>dangerous bubble
no and fuck you and fuck anyone who even suggests that
>>
>>52371394
If you're not joining very early on - forget about it. You might make an hefty sum, but you won't be set for life as the 20th or 30th worker.
Other than that, be wary of dilution, quirky exercise options, tax laws in your country, and a bunch of other crap that - quite frankly - you just need to read about.
A single 4chan post ain't gonna cover it.
>>
>>52371544
well they've been around for a year and a half and they are 20, so a bit too late i guess

im gonna read on it though since they do give stock (0.1 - 1.0%...)
>>
>>52369582
by making (and taking advantage of) good contacts made with professors and other students during school.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.