[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /g/ help me out. I have pic related hooked up with Raspberry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: relay.jpg (114KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
relay.jpg
114KB, 800x800px
Okay /g/ help me out.

I have pic related hooked up with Raspberry pi to control lights in my room which is pretty cool but the problem is that my Pi will crash if I power on 3 or more channels, I guess this is because of Pi can't power them.
How do I fix this?
I have seen many guides how to do this but none of them seem to face the same problem.

tl;dr: how do I power this externally?
>>
Directly wire the 5v and gnd to the psu or increase the current output of the psu supplying the pi. If that still does not work then have a separate psu to power the board and link the grounds from each psu. :)
>>
>>52364492
Get some smaller relays to power the bigger relays
>>
Can you post the model or link to the relay?
Usually relays operate at 5V, depending on the model with or without external PSU, but if you can power it with your Pi, I guess it can be fed with 3V (the Pi is limited to 3V). Usually 3V relays need an external source.

But yea, try to power it externally as >>52364516 said.
>>
>>52364516
Uhmm... I genuinely don't know if that's a good idea.

>>52364518
I only have this.
>>
>>52364542
>>52364516
Could you draw some shitty schematic how the wires should go?
>>
OP, are you using current limiting resistors to drive those opto-coupler drivers?
>>
>>52364584
No, I have straight cables.
>>
For fuck sake anon, power it of a secondary powerbrick.b
>>
As others have said, you really need to know what you are working with in terms of power/current.

The Pi has very low current tolerances on the GPIO pins (like 7mA) Generally this is not enough to get enough current (usually 20mA) to the LED inside the optocoupler.

This is one of those cases where an Arduino would serve you better.

You can make a separate board with a 5V supply where the juice to the optocouplers is controlled by a small FET or BJT like a 2N3904 which is in turn controlled by the Pi.

This is why I keep saying the Pi is more fun for EE folks like myself.

If you want, I can draw up a basic schematic if you can get me some more info on the relays you bought.

>posted from my raspberry pi 2
>>
>>52364663
This.
Each relay you turn on's using more and more current. Your pi can't give that out.
>I have seen many guides how to do this but none of them seem to face the same problem.
Every one faced the same problem, they just fixed it instantly.

>>52364673
He's powering the relay board from the Pi's 5V pin m8.
>>
>>52364673
>>52364542
This is the relay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOP-8-Channel-5V-Relay-Module-Board-Shield-For-PIC-AVR-DSP-ARM-MCU-Arduino-BEST-/251824966004?hash=item3aa1f00974:g:qjUAAOxyaURTgvbU
>>
>>52364762
Yeah, I ended up just looking on amazon.

Either way, as I and >>52364689 said, you need an external power source. The Pi just can't source or sink enough.

Here's an example setup that describes using external transistors with an external power source.

http://i.imgur.com/4HzhwYB.jpg
>>
>>52364798
That seems like a solid solution, can I buy one of those boards? What I should search for?
>>
>>52364629
You need some current limiting resistors in series with each line. Try 200 or 300 ohms. Also, wire it up so that you are sinking current instead of sourcing. (active when the GPIO is low).
>>
File: relay board.jpg (109KB, 800x421px) Image search: [Google]
relay board.jpg
109KB, 800x421px
>>52364836
>>52364934
The ebay diagram >>52364762
shows that OP's board has PNP (low=on) transistors (not optoisolaters) with built in base resistors.
OP simply needs to power the boards Vcc directly from the power supply, or use another power supply and connect the grounds as already been said.
>>
>>52365029
ok, yeah, in that case do what this guy says.

I'm too used to using triacs.
>>
>>52364544
If the raspberry pi doesnt can't do how you want it to perform, how can you expect to accomplish what you perform?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.