[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay anarchists, please explain to me like I am 5 how your average

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

Okay anarchists, please explain to me like I am 5 how your average developer can make money when adhering to the "free software" principles? Imagine anyone could make official Coca Cola or licensed medication at home because the recipes are completely free. How will Coca Cola make money?
>>
Ads and donations.
>>
Your average developer adhering to it is doing it as a hobby or a side-gig for shits and giggles, some rarer ones do it for donations.
The question you want to ask is how your average developer that doesn't adhere can compete with free software,
in which case i answer that i don't give a singly flying fuck.
>>
>Okay anarchists, please explain to me like I am 5 how your average developer can make money when adhering to the "free software" principles?

According to the GNU license he can sell the software for example. Or you might do like Wordpress and create a service, technical support and a store where peoplecan sell their own add-ons to the free software. Wordpress have made them millions and is a staple of web development today.
>>
>>52363474
Ads aren't free, you motherfucker. They, either don't make money at all or sell support and beg for donation.
>>
>>52363470
70-80% of Linux kernel developers are paid.
Explain that, you mongoloid.
>>
>>52363470
By offering a service, not selling the product.
>>
>>52363470
Just because the recipes are free doesn't mean just anyone can make it. you still need experts to set up the equipment, and you just won't have the means to manufacture it in large quantities on your own. It's an economy of scale, so it still is more efficient to "leave it to the pros" because they can do it for cheaper than you.

Same thing with open source, especially these days with THE CLOUD and software as a service. You could either pay a guy in house to get the stuff working well enough or you could leave it to some people who make a living providing this service and do it better probably for cheaper.
>>
>>52363504
I don't think the OP is old enough to understand what you just said. You need to explain it like explaining it to an idiot.
The kind of idiot who thinks that programming, being the lowest common denominator of STEM, is viable as a full job in 2015.
>>
>>52363470
>anarchists
are you really this stupid?
>>>/sqt/
>>
>>52363520
Well, trying again then.

>>52363470
You can't.
You're not going to make money by selling your coca cola if anyone can look at the recipe and do it.
But what you can do is offer a service, a service to, say, cook the coca cola and change the recipe just to satisfy one customer, or make sure the coca cola will always be of top notch quality.
That's how you do it. The product isn't where you make money, it's how well you can support it and change it to please your users, to the point they want to pay you because it' cheaper than hiring peoples.
>>
>>52363519
>Just because the recipes are free doesn't mean just anyone can make it.

This is true, Tesla cars and patents are open source, but still only Tesla who makes them even if everyone can access all the details on how they are built.
>>
>>52363474
>including proprietary third party code servicing privacy invading malware
>"free"

Stallman would roll in his grave
>>
>>52363584
That's because the upfront cost of making a car is immense. Also, Tesla doesn't have a website where you can download their patents in PDF form. You still have to inquire for them and probably have a whole board meeting to convince them of handing them out to you.

With software, you literally run a "make" command or execute a compiler and you are done. Zero upfront cost.
>>
File: Youxia X Ranger X.jpg (451KB, 1084x1724px) Image search: [Google]
Youxia X Ranger X.jpg
451KB, 1084x1724px
>>52363584
Nope. You should inform yourself better anon. Chinks already utilized the open patent.
>>
>>52363470
Corporations, universities, and governments financially support these projects.
>>
>>52363621
Cool, I did not know that. Hope they also make it better.
>>
>>52363638
They won't make it better in quality, because they are Chinks.
But they did make one feature that will influence our autistic brains:
They made that black front part of the car where the emblem is have a line of light much like that Knight Rider car.
>>
File: yakitate!! japan on westerners.png (915KB, 712x1054px) Image search: [Google]
yakitate!! japan on westerners.png
915KB, 712x1054px
>>52363470
How do people make money selling bread even though everyone knows the recipe?
>>
>hey anon..try my homemade coca cola..
>no thanks..I'd eat shit before drinking something that's been brewed in some goys basement
>>
>>52363492
He means, investors advertise on the programmer's website, not the other way.
Get your panties out of a knot. Jesus Christ, you people will get angry over anything.
>>
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

Stallman himself used to sell binary copies of emacs in the 80s for quite a lot.
>>
>food analogies
guys, please don't
>>
>>52363470
>How will Coca Cola make money?
don't give up on trademark, keep selling it
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.