[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /g/ consider Arch as good, if it takes fucking ages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1407177961310.gif (166KB, 390x339px) Image search: [Google]
1407177961310.gif
166KB, 390x339px
Why does /g/ consider Arch as good, if it takes fucking ages to install and you have to fix that shit every now and then?

I run ubuntu on muh laptop now for about 4 years. Never had any serious problems.
Install takes fucking less than 20 minutes and everything just werks. How is this considered to be bad?
>>
It's a meme, just like thinkpads
>>
> Why does /g/ consider Arch as good, if it takes fucking ages to install and you have to fix that shit every now and then?

Because it's fun to do and educational. It also imply that they know a lot since they are able to do it. So there is a certain nerd cred
>>
>>52360301
>just like thinkpads
I bought one because of fucking /g/. No kidding.
It is acctually not bad, but heavy as fuck (T420). Atleast it was cheap. Arch is the worse meme imo.
>>
File: ayy.jpg (924KB, 1660x1940px) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
924KB, 1660x1940px
I agree, I run ubuntu gnome myself, and ubuntu server on my home servers, arch is just a fucking shit meme that takes ages to install, gives 0.5% extra performance and breaks down every update
>>
after 4 years (even before that), the extra time it takes to install is completely negligible
>>
>>52360285
I like fixing shit, it keeps the mind sharp
>>
>>52360285
I think the appeal from Arch is the completely barebones nature of the distro, compared to Ubuntu or Debian which comes pre installed with software and desktop environments.

It's kinda like buying a prebuilt pc vs. building it yourself; it takes longer, but its a shitload more satisfying to see it work for you.
>>
>>52360285
just werks on my machine

took like 5 minutes to install, nowhere close to how long funtoo took
>>
>>52360285
>if it takes fucking ages to install
What's your connection?
About 20 minutes for me.
Also, how often do you fucking install an OS?
>you have to fix that shit every now and then
Rarely. A good price to pay.
>I run ubuntu on muh laptop now for about 4 years. Never had any serious problems.
Well, huzzah for you I guess. Different people have different needs. I would probably kill myself if I used Ubuntu for four years.
>>
>>52360357
an arch install is nearly as big as ubuntu, almost a gig, it's nothing like tiny core/linux from scratch
>>
>>52360425
>What's your connection?
>About 20 minutes for me.
Not if you do it without a script m8.

>Also, how often do you fucking install an OS?
about once a month.
>>
If it takes you ages to copy and paste some instructions (or imitate them) you might be better off with Mac OS X or a Sugar XO laptop buddy
>>
>>52360318
>T420
>2.24 kg (4.9 lb)
>heavy as fuck

Lift some weights how can you feel any real difference between 4.9 lb and just air? People are too soft these days. In the millitary we lifted a gun that was twice the weight of that for hours trekking through forests actually holding the gun in our hands lifting it up to our chest. And I was one of those fat lazy fucks who had a office job while doing my compulsory millitary service (worked as a administrator at the naval academy).
I can't believe people openly say that 2.24 kg is heavy without being ashamed.
>>
>>52360445
>you might be better off with Mac OS X
I bought me a macbook pro through my old work. It was acctually pretty nice and comfy for everyday werk. Just had to give it back, because I quit and in my opinion it is not really worth the money. So I won't spend shit on a macbook,.
But they are not as bad as /g/ thinks they are
>>
>>52360452
>defending heavy as fuck laptop
what is wrong with you?
>>
>>52360443
I never used a script. But why not use one, anyway?
>about once a month.
Then your OS is shit.
>>
>>52360452
I take it with me every fucking day without problems. It is still heavy as fuck compared to other laptops
>>
>>52360312
Underrated post, and this is coming from an archfag
>>
>>52360452
This, my laptop weighs >3Kg due to the amount of jardware crammed in, i always thought it was light.
Even a fat fuck should be able to lift laptops.
There once was a 2yo kid who could hold 3Kg in front of him with his arms stretched out.
>>
>>52360460
never said it was bad, it's just perfect for people who struggle with intellectually demanding tasks. it'll keep the dumb off arch / ubuntu whatever communities, everyone happy
>>
>>52360452
nigger that's half as heavy as my old desktop computer
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.